Michael

Default Brinkmann Smoke'N'Grill

My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

BurbankTony

"Michael" > wrote in message >...
> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

-------------------------------
Here's a website with mods. I don't know if this what you are looking for.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

burbank Tony

I am in shape. Round is a shape.
BurbankTony

"Michael" > wrote in message >...
> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

-------------------------------
Here's a website with mods. I don't know if this what you are looking for.

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

burbank Tony

I am in shape. Round is a shape.
Michael

"BurbankTony" > wrote in message
om...
> "Michael" > wrote in message

> > My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really

paid
> > much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought

I'd
> > have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> > with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> > offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?)

upright.
> > My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> > does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

> -------------------------------
> Here's a website with mods. I don't know if this what you are looking for.
>
> http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
>
> burbank Tony
>
> I am in shape. Round is a shape.

Exactly! what I was looking for.

Michael

Michael

"BurbankTony" > wrote in message
om...
> "Michael" > wrote in message

> > My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really

paid
> > much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought

I'd
> > have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> > with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> > offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?)

upright.
> > My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> > does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

> -------------------------------
> Here's a website with mods. I don't know if this what you are looking for.
>
> http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
>
> burbank Tony
>
> I am in shape. Round is a shape.

Exactly! what I was looking for.

Michael

Stan Marks

In article >,
"Michael" > wrote:

> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

With a couple of modifications, the ECB can turn out some fine barbecue.
Yesterday, I cooked a Boston Butt pork roast and a slab of spare ribs in
mine. They were delicious.

I really can't recommend the ECB for long cooks, though, such as that
pork roast or a brisket. It can be hard to get consistent results. For
ribs, chicken, and other meats that don't require long cooking (i.e.
more than 5-6 hours), it's great. For ribs, I get good results using the
"Minion Method" of fire control. It also makes a good portable grill for
steaks, chicken, etc., and I usually take it along on camping trips.

If you decide to give it a try, do modify the charcoal pan according to
the instructions in the BBQ FAQ and mount the legs on the outside of the
drum for easier access to the charcoal pan. I haven't put legs on the
charcoal pan, yet, but I plan to do so. In the meantime, I set the pan
on some bricks set on edge, which puts the charcoal pan at just the
right height.

Stan
Stan Marks

In article >,
"Michael" > wrote:

> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

With a couple of modifications, the ECB can turn out some fine barbecue.
Yesterday, I cooked a Boston Butt pork roast and a slab of spare ribs in
mine. They were delicious.

I really can't recommend the ECB for long cooks, though, such as that
pork roast or a brisket. It can be hard to get consistent results. For
ribs, chicken, and other meats that don't require long cooking (i.e.
more than 5-6 hours), it's great. For ribs, I get good results using the
"Minion Method" of fire control. It also makes a good portable grill for
steaks, chicken, etc., and I usually take it along on camping trips.

If you decide to give it a try, do modify the charcoal pan according to
the instructions in the BBQ FAQ and mount the legs on the outside of the
drum for easier access to the charcoal pan. I haven't put legs on the
charcoal pan, yet, but I plan to do so. In the meantime, I set the pan
on some bricks set on edge, which puts the charcoal pan at just the
right height.

Stan
Stan Marks

In article >,
"Michael" > wrote:

> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

With a couple of modifications, the ECB can turn out some fine barbecue.
Yesterday, I cooked a Boston Butt pork roast and a slab of spare ribs in
mine. They were delicious.

I really can't recommend the ECB for long cooks, though, such as that
pork roast or a brisket. It can be hard to get consistent results. For
ribs, chicken, and other meats that don't require long cooking (i.e.
more than 5-6 hours), it's great. For ribs, I get good results using the
"Minion Method" of fire control. It also makes a good portable grill for
steaks, chicken, etc., and I usually take it along on camping trips.

If you decide to give it a try, do modify the charcoal pan according to
the instructions in the BBQ FAQ and mount the legs on the outside of the
drum for easier access to the charcoal pan. I haven't put legs on the
charcoal pan, yet, but I plan to do so. In the meantime, I set the pan
on some bricks set on edge, which puts the charcoal pan at just the
right height.

Stan
art simon

There's one thing I use mine for: cold smoking. My BGE can't get down to
80 dF, but a cheap electric hot plate under the Brinkmann with a few
pieces of apple/mesquite/pecan will smoke your bacon at ambient. Takes
only a couple hours.

Best of luck.

a-

Michael wrote:
> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

art simon

Michael wrote:
> My boss just gave me a Brinkmann 'Smoke 'n' Grill. I've never really paid
> much attention to the Brinkmann modifications because I never thought I'd
> have one. It seems a shame not to get some use out of it. I have a Weber
> with a piece of sheet metal separating it into two chambers, a poor mans
> offset. I have another Weber, a nice gas grill and a Masterbuilt(?) upright.
> My question to the collective is can I improve my Q by using this (like,
> does it do something really well?) or should I pass it down the line.

art simon