elliot gainway

Default Asbestos in natural lump charcoal???

I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
Charcoal?
Edwin Pawlowski

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message ...
> Has anyone
> ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> Charcoal?

It is probably some ash. As different trees burn, the ash they leave behind
can be white as you describe. Once depleted of burnable mass, it will not
ignite again.

Asbestos is a mineral that is mined. No way it should be near charcoal.
Never heard of such a thing.
Ed

Banjo

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
om...
> I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> Charcoal?

<Bottom posting>
I am not sure if ANYONE knows more about lump than this guy.

From a previous post of mine:

This is a nice site, proving that:

a) the internet is a beautiful thing
and:
b) some people have a lot of spare time.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

More info about lump than I thought possible.

See ya!

-Banjo

JMagerl

White cottony stuff is probably fiber glass insulation. It behaves like you
said.

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
om...
> I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> Charcoal?

JMagerl

White cottony stuff is probably fiber glass insulation. It behaves like you
said.

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
om...
> I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> Charcoal?

elliot gainway

"JMagerl" > wrote in message >...
> White cottony stuff is probably fiber glass insulation. It behaves like you
> said.
>
> "elliot gainway" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> > Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> > ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> > wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> > lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> > ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> > asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> > produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> > cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> > Charcoal?

I contacted the manufacturer(Cowboy charcoal)and they said it was
probably ceramic fiber that got snagged on the wood in the kilns. Doe
that sound right?
elliot gainway

"JMagerl" > wrote in message >...
> White cottony stuff is probably fiber glass insulation. It behaves like you
> said.
>
> "elliot gainway" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> > Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> > ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> > wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> > lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> > ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> > asbestos? Someone told me that when hardwood charcoal is burned it
> > produces a cotton like ash, could this be it? The substance feels like
> > cotton and looks like cotton. Does anyone else use Wild Oates Hardwood
> > Charcoal?

I contacted the manufacturer(Cowboy charcoal)and they said it was
probably ceramic fiber that got snagged on the wood in the kilns. Doe
that sound right?
Edwin Pawlowski

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
> I contacted the manufacturer(Cowboy charcoal)and they said it was
> probably ceramic fiber that got snagged on the wood in the kilns. Doe
> that sound right?

Yes. we use similar insulation for boiler gaskets. I'm not sure what it is
made from exactly (it is NOT asbestos), but it will not burn at very high
temperatures.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
> I contacted the manufacturer(Cowboy charcoal)and they said it was
> probably ceramic fiber that got snagged on the wood in the kilns. Doe
> that sound right?

Yes. we use similar insulation for boiler gaskets. I'm not sure what it is
made from exactly (it is NOT asbestos), but it will not burn at very high
temperatures.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Just Bob

"elliot gainway" > wrote in message
om...
> I used natural lump hardwood charcoal that I bought from Wild Oats
> Natural market for the first time and I found something strange in the
> ashes upon clean up. I was what looked like white cotton batting. I
> wondered why It hadn't burned up so I tried burning it with my grill
> lighter and it won't burn! It only glows red at the edges. Has anyone
> ever heard of natural hardwood charcoal being contaminated with
> asbestos?

You can buy a test kit that will reveal if it is asbestos. Better to be
safe and check it out, especially if you have kids.
Bob