Old 23-08-2004, 02:59 AM
WiScottsin

Default Cold smoking in WSM

I'm considering making some summer sausage out of a bunch of ground venison
that I have in the freezer, using my WSM. We used to make it on my great
uncles farm in very large quantities, and smoke in a great old offset smoker
with a small barrel stove providing smoke for an old refirigerator that was
lined with steel. Unfortunatley, he and the farm are not with us anymore.

I was reading on the webervirtualbullet.com site and saw the mod for
constructing a separate cardboard box and tube devices, and I trust that
works as I've gotten good advice from the other parts of the site.

But I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cold smoking in the WSM without a
separate "smokebox". Either using wood/charcoal for fuel or possibly
slapping an electric hotplate on the charcoal grate with some chunks/chips?

Old 23-08-2004, 03:02 AM
f/256

Take a look at this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldsmoker.html

Old 23-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"f/256" wrote in message

I was reading on the webervirtualbullet.com site and saw the mod for
constructing a separate cardboard box and tube devices, and I trust that
works as I've gotten good advice from the other parts of the site.

But I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cold smoking in the WSM

without

Take a look at this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldsmoker.html

Seems as thought you did not read the original post.

Anyhow, I've not tried it with the WSM, but I do cold smoke on my smoker
using a hotplate. There is a picture on my web page.

Hotplate, pie pan, sawdust, and you are ready to go. Only downside I see is
the ability to regulate the temperature. If you have the hotplate on the
bottom, it is not easily reached to turn it down. A heavy duty rheostat
could do it though.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 23-08-2004, 03:23 AM
WiScottsin

"f/256" wrote...

[...]

Thanks, but if you read my post a little more closely you'll see that I
already looked at the VWB link and was wondering if anyone had success cold
smoking without a separate fire/smoke-box.

Old 23-08-2004, 03:42 AM
f/256

"WiScottsin" wrote in message

Thanks, but if you read my post a little more closely you'll see that I
already looked at the VWB link and was wondering if anyone had success

cold
smoking without a separate fire/smoke-box.

Just wanted to make sure all you guy were paying attention...Congratulation
you all passed the test!!

:-)

Old 23-08-2004, 04:40 AM
bbq

WiScottsin wrote:

I'm considering making some summer sausage out of a bunch of ground venison
that I have in the freezer, using my WSM. We used to make it on my great
uncles farm in very large quantities, and smoke in a great old offset smoker
with a small barrel stove providing smoke for an old refirigerator that was
lined with steel. Unfortunatley, he and the farm are not with us anymore.

I was reading on the webervirtualbullet.com site and saw the mod for
constructing a separate cardboard box and tube devices, and I trust that
works as I've gotten good advice from the other parts of the site.

But I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried cold smoking in the WSM without a
separate "smokebox". Either using wood/charcoal for fuel or possibly
slapping an electric hotplate on the charcoal grate with some chunks/chips?

I smoked cheese in my old bullet type smoker without any modifications.
Just used 3 briquettes and some wood chips for the smoke. I maintained
the temperature around 80. The outside temperature was around 30.
Cold smoking is definitely a cool weather cook.

Don't know much about making summer sausage, but would suggest trying
some cheese first to get a feel for how it is going to work. I did a
couple 1 lb. blocks of cheddar and smoked it for about 60 minutes or so.

I now have a WSM and have no doubt that you can cold smoke without
modifications. But again, cool weather and just a couple briquettes are
key to success.

I will be doing some cheese again once the weather cools down. I post
pics on ABF of most of my outdoor cooks. Check back in October or so
and I will have a report on my efforts.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 23-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Sean

I've gotten good results from using a small [soup] can with both ends
removed. I place the can in the middle of the charcoal grate, put a
firelighter in the bottom, then fill the can with briquettes (4 or 5). Light
the firelighter and wait until it has burnt out and the briquettes are all
ashed over and then some. Assemble the unit, with cold tap water in the pan,
and put your meat on. Put as many small chunks of your smoking wood on top
of the can of coals as you can and then close it all up. Close all the vents
completely. It fills with thick thick smoke but stays a very low temp for a
long time.

Just some tips: I light the firelighter using a long stemmed BBQ lighter.
Just shoot the flame down through the grate beside the can, so the flame
comes up to light the firelighter from below. I cold smoke in the afternoon,
so the WSM is not in direct sunlight. Being black metal the sun adds a lot
of heat. I also occasionally open the top vent, partially because I feel it
lets any accumulating heat out, lets an equal amount of air find it's way in
(to keep the coals burning) and allows me to see just how much smoke is in
there.

I've smoked cheese and other cold foods a number of times like this, and it
works really well. The cheese stays completely firm, although if you leave
it too long it goes a little glossy. It only adds smoke flavor of course, it
will not dry jerky or anything like that. Might be worth a try on your
summer sausage.

- Sean

Old 23-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Monroe, of course...

In article , "Sean"
wrote:

I've gotten good results from using a small [soup] can with both ends
removed. I place the can in the middle of the charcoal grate, put a
firelighter in the bottom, then fill the can with briquettes (4 or 5). Light
the firelighter and wait until it has burnt out and the briquettes are all
ashed over and then some. Assemble the unit, with cold tap water in the pan,
and put your meat on. Put as many small chunks of your smoking wood on top
of the can of coals as you can and then close it all up. Close all the vents
completely. It fills with thick thick smoke but stays a very low temp for a
long time.

The soup can fire ring sounds like a good idea smacks forehead why
din't I think of that?
The secret to cold smoking on a bullet type is to keep a 3-4 briquette
sized fire (with apropriate smoke) going for hours and hours. This is
one of the most tedious things a human can do.
I've easily run my K at 140-150F due to its great airflow control. I
don't know if a WSM will shutter up that tightly.

monroe(thinking of smoked peppers)
Old 23-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Dave Bugg

Sean wrote:

snip of good info.

I've smoked cheese and other cold foods a number of times like this,
and it works really well. The cheese stays completely firm, although
if you leave it too long it goes a little glossy. It only adds smoke
flavor of course, it will not dry jerky or anything like that. Might
be worth a try on your summer sausage.

Sean, please don't top-post.

Old 23-08-2004, 09:39 PM
f/256

Sean, please don't top-post.

What's the deal about "top posting", how that bothers people? I ask because
I haven't found a reason to dislike top posting, actually, when I am
actually following a thread, I never read the previous post, only the new
post, so top posting actually let me read the new msg w/o having to scroll
down. So why top posting bothers people? Just want to know, may me if the
reasons are valid and carry some weight, I should let them bother me too!!
:-)

Old 23-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Nathan Lau

f/256 wrote:

Sean, please don't top-post.

What's the deal about "top posting", how that bothers people? I ask because
I haven't found a reason to dislike top posting, actually, when I am
actually following a thread, I never read the previous post, only the new
post, so top posting actually let me read the new msg w/o having to scroll
down. So why top posting bothers people? Just want to know, may me if the
reasons are valid and carry some weight, I should let them bother me too!!

Well, there goes that *that* thread. *plink*

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include std.disclaimer
Old 23-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Default User

f/256 wrote:

Sean, please don't top-post.

What's the deal about "top posting", how that bothers people? I ask because
I haven't found a reason to dislike top posting, actually, when I am
actually following a thread, I never read the previous post, only the new
post, so top posting actually let me read the new msg w/o having to scroll
down. So why top posting bothers people? Just want to know, may me if the
reasons are valid and carry some weight, I should let them bother me too!!
:-)

Run a google search on the subject. It's been hashed to death here and
elsewhere. For this group, note that we took a vote and overwhelmingly
disaproved of it. Some people here will killfile over it.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 23-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Jeff Russell

I top post too and many are way too uptight about the issue.
I've tried to pose the same question and never received a reasonable or
civil answer.
I think different news readers handle the posts differently and some make
top posting hard to read. It's only a guess.
Like you, I rarely read the enclosed post or snippet, so top posting saves
me scrolling.
I guess, it's really a cultural thing and people don't like variance or
change, so many use bully tactics to keep their order.

able.rogers.com...

Old 23-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Dave Bugg

Jeff Russell wrote:
I top post too and many are way too uptight about the issue.
I've tried to pose the same question and never received a reasonable
or civil answer.

Reading takes place top to bottom. Answers follow statements or questions.
It's a simple concept.

Old 23-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Dave Bugg

f/256 wrote:

What's the deal about "top posting", how that bothers people?

Context is out of place.

I ask
because I haven't found a reason to dislike top posting, actually,
when I am actually following a thread, I never read the previous
post, only the new post, so top posting actually let me read the new
msg w/o having to scroll down.

Many folks don't just read a new post.... they have to refer back to the
far as scrolling down is concerned, that is an issue of trimming the
previous text to which one is responding. Trimming is also a long standing
usenet tradition.

So why top posting bothers people?

Already answered.

Just want to know, may me if the reasons are valid and carry some
weight, I should let them bother me too!! :-)

It doesn't have to bother *you* in order to do the right thing :-)

Cold Smoking in a Bullet Smoker Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 3 21-04-2012 06:00 AM
cold smoking Stormmee Barbecue 77 28-09-2009 01:32 AM
cold smoking question Bob Barbecue 6 23-06-2007 03:01 AM
Looking for information about Cold Smoking as a means of preservation. mj Preserving 9 09-11-2006 02:43 PM