Gary Ingram

Default Traeger

Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?

Thanks, Gary

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:27:15 -0700, "Gary Ingram" >
wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

Dr. BBQ [Ray Lemke], used one at the Hillsboro Q-School last month.
It's not pretty looking, but he played it like a violin. I think it is
quite pricey but sure looks easy to run. As I was working on guru
controlled Kamados, I went to bed and don't know what kind of refuels
or tune-ups it need through the night. It seems to hold the temps
quite accurately. A fellow Calgarian has offered me one of his to
set up at the BBQ-on-the-Bow competition on Labour Day week-end. I
don't think I have the time to play with it first but I plant do so
next time.

Harry
Harry Demidavicius

wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

Dr. BBQ [Ray Lemke], used one at the Hillsboro Q-School last month.
It's not pretty looking, but he played it like a violin. I think it is
quite pricey but sure looks easy to run. As I was working on guru
controlled Kamados, I went to bed and don't know what kind of refuels
or tune-ups it need through the night. It seems to hold the temps
quite accurately. A fellow Calgarian has offered me one of his to
set up at the BBQ-on-the-Bow competition on Labour Day week-end. I
don't think I have the time to play with it first but I plant do so
next time.

Harry
CigarLawyer

>Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?

Got a BBQ 075 from SWMBO as my 1st father's day gift. It's a sweet, sweet unit.
The traeger pellets are a little pricier than I'd prefer, but the trade off in
convenience is, IMHO, more than worth the small additional cost.

So far, I've done "low and slow" baby backs, spares, brisket, brined turkey
breast, brined chicken breasts, chicken wings, and some of the most
butt-kicking tilapia filets that have ever been eaten, and I can't rave enough
about it.

I've also used it on the "high" setting for grilling steaks, and the smoky
flavor that the traeger imparts is, to my taste, awesome. It's hard to believe
that it gets to 550 degrees fahrenheit using nothing more than compressed
sawdust.

I'd like to upgrade to the "digital thermostat" option, rather than the
"smoke/medium/high" switch that is installed, but since I only 'q for the
family, and not in competition, "infinite" temp. control isn't that important
to me, and I can't yet justify the extra $200.

2 complaints: 1) the sucker is heavy, and the plastic wheels that come with the
unit are wholly unsatisfactory; I'm looking for some 10 inch pneumatic wheels
to mount to the unit so I can move it without busting a gut; 2) the pelletbox
is a bit too small for extended smoking sessions (say, 8 hours or more requires
a refill).

All in all, it's worth the cost to be able to spend more time with the kids and
less time tending the fire. Some would disagree, I bet, but it works for me.

Just my opinion; hope this helps!

Marc

P.S.--First unit arived damaged in transit; they cross-shipped a second unit
without hesitation; great customer service! MDG
Marc Goldstone
Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
"I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
"Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial."
CigarLawyer

>Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?

Got a BBQ 075 from SWMBO as my 1st father's day gift. It's a sweet, sweet unit.
The traeger pellets are a little pricier than I'd prefer, but the trade off in
convenience is, IMHO, more than worth the small additional cost.

So far, I've done "low and slow" baby backs, spares, brisket, brined turkey
breast, brined chicken breasts, chicken wings, and some of the most
butt-kicking tilapia filets that have ever been eaten, and I can't rave enough
about it.

I've also used it on the "high" setting for grilling steaks, and the smoky
flavor that the traeger imparts is, to my taste, awesome. It's hard to believe
that it gets to 550 degrees fahrenheit using nothing more than compressed
sawdust.

I'd like to upgrade to the "digital thermostat" option, rather than the
"smoke/medium/high" switch that is installed, but since I only 'q for the
family, and not in competition, "infinite" temp. control isn't that important
to me, and I can't yet justify the extra $200.

2 complaints: 1) the sucker is heavy, and the plastic wheels that come with the
unit are wholly unsatisfactory; I'm looking for some 10 inch pneumatic wheels
to mount to the unit so I can move it without busting a gut; 2) the pelletbox
is a bit too small for extended smoking sessions (say, 8 hours or more requires
a refill).

All in all, it's worth the cost to be able to spend more time with the kids and
less time tending the fire. Some would disagree, I bet, but it works for me.

Just my opinion; hope this helps!

Marc

P.S.--First unit arived damaged in transit; they cross-shipped a second unit
without hesitation; great customer service! MDG
Marc Goldstone
Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
"I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
"Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial."

Joe Rizzo

"Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

Gary:
I was researching the Traeger before I went with the BIG Green Egg. I have
seen a guy using one (BBQ100) in my town during a BBQ cook-off. He won blue
ribbon on brisket. He told me he has a problem with flare ups and that was
all. The brisket was great. He was happy with it in every other respect.
He also had the digital thermostat.

Also heard that the auger that feeds the pellets to the combustion chamber
occasionally gets jammed and the hopper for the pellets is not big enough
for most smoking jobs, requiring refilling.

The pellets are pricey if you run out, you can not just go to the local
market and pick up a bag.

Joe

Joe Rizzo

"Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

Gary:
I was researching the Traeger before I went with the BIG Green Egg. I have
seen a guy using one (BBQ100) in my town during a BBQ cook-off. He won blue
ribbon on brisket. He told me he has a problem with flare ups and that was
all. The brisket was great. He was happy with it in every other respect.
He also had the digital thermostat.

Also heard that the auger that feeds the pellets to the combustion chamber
occasionally gets jammed and the hopper for the pellets is not big enough
for most smoking jobs, requiring refilling.

The pellets are pricey if you run out, you can not just go to the local
market and pick up a bag.

Joe

Stan (the Man)

"Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

I have the Texas model (BBQ050) and love it. It's large enough for most
any home smoke. I added the residential thermostat, so I'm able to
control my temps fairly well. The hopper is quite large enough for a
good 12-hr cook at medium temps and I've never had a flare up.

The pellets, though, are expensive (about $34 for 40lbs, iirc), but you
can look around and try to find someone who sells them more cheaply or
you can try to cut a deal with Traeger for a bulk shipment. Traeger gave
me the number for a local guy and I bought 10 bags from him for $20 per.

If you're in Oregon, both the grill and the pellets should be
considerably less expensive, as I believe they build the shipping costs
into the price (I'm in NY and paid dearly for my unit).

All in all, I think it's a terrific smoker. If you have questions, feel
free to email me.

--
Stan

Stan (the Man)

"Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>
> Thanks, Gary

I have the Texas model (BBQ050) and love it. It's large enough for most
any home smoke. I added the residential thermostat, so I'm able to
control my temps fairly well. The hopper is quite large enough for a
good 12-hr cook at medium temps and I've never had a flare up.

The pellets, though, are expensive (about $34 for 40lbs, iirc), but you
can look around and try to find someone who sells them more cheaply or
you can try to cut a deal with Traeger for a bulk shipment. Traeger gave
me the number for a local guy and I bought 10 bags from him for $20 per.

If you're in Oregon, both the grill and the pellets should be
considerably less expensive, as I believe they build the shipping costs
into the price (I'm in NY and paid dearly for my unit).

All in all, I think it's a terrific smoker. If you have questions, feel
free to email me.

--
Stan

Dick Wiegand

Gary Ingram wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?

I've rented a Traeger #200 (it has 2 augers/fireboxes) for 4th of July
for last three years to cook for neighborhood (I live 45 miles from the
factory).

Cooked 15 briskets this year, used about 18-20# of pellets, which
equates to $8-$10 expense for 12 hours of cook time. When cooking so
much unattened, I worry about auger jam (never had one) so I just put my
remote thermometer w/low alarm set in unit, and sleep all night.Never
had a problem with flare ups.

Friend has small one, hasn't had flare -up. There is a drain hole, just
need to make sure unit is level, or slightly tilted.

As far as auger jams, I would recommend you remove any remaining pellets
between use, as they could swell due to moisture, causing jam. I keep
mine in a plastic bucket w/lid.

They do have a hopper expansion kit available for certain units, but
even without it, it should burn for quite some time between re-supply.
Compared to using hardwood, and maintaining a fire in offset, I see
nothing to complain about.

Digital control is nice, and you can upgrade to this at any point, but
I've used both, and the preset is pretty well calibrated for what the
serious home smoker would want to do...

RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are so
uptight about that. Seems to me if you posted message in one post, and
labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another (jpgs.
smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even with a
dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru the beer
bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group trying to find
it.

Dick

Dick Wiegand

Gary Ingram wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?

I've rented a Traeger #200 (it has 2 augers/fireboxes) for 4th of July
for last three years to cook for neighborhood (I live 45 miles from the
factory).

Cooked 15 briskets this year, used about 18-20# of pellets, which
equates to $8-$10 expense for 12 hours of cook time. When cooking so
much unattened, I worry about auger jam (never had one) so I just put my
remote thermometer w/low alarm set in unit, and sleep all night.Never
had a problem with flare ups.

Friend has small one, hasn't had flare -up. There is a drain hole, just
need to make sure unit is level, or slightly tilted.

As far as auger jams, I would recommend you remove any remaining pellets
between use, as they could swell due to moisture, causing jam. I keep
mine in a plastic bucket w/lid.

They do have a hopper expansion kit available for certain units, but
even without it, it should burn for quite some time between re-supply.
Compared to using hardwood, and maintaining a fire in offset, I see
nothing to complain about.

Digital control is nice, and you can upgrade to this at any point, but
I've used both, and the preset is pretty well calibrated for what the
serious home smoker would want to do...

RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are so
uptight about that. Seems to me if you posted message in one post, and
labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another (jpgs.
smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even with a
dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru the beer
bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group trying to find
it.

Dick

Dave Bugg

Dick Wiegand wrote:

> RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
> not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are
> so uptight about that.

Maybe because this is a text-based, non-binary group. Maybe because some do
an automatic down-load of ALL posts when they click on this ng, which
negates your brilliant idea about designating binary files. Maybe because
most ISPs take very seriously violations of TOS regarding posting binaries
into non-binary designated groups. Maybe because many newsservers will
vomit out any posts containing binaries to text-based ngs.

> Seems to me if you posted message in one
> post, and labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another
> (jpgs. smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even
> with a dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru
> the beer bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group
> trying to find it.

And then you'd get those who will insist that the group nannies "can't force
ME to lable my posts as "pictures". And so, by your logic, they wouldn't
have to, because there shouldn't be ANY rules, and NO ONE should say boo.
Anarchy is soooooo cool. Gee, so instead you want us to wade thru the crap
of binaries to find text-only stuff? Let's not insist on standards, let's
just make things completely unusable and user unfriendly.

Dave Bugg

Dick Wiegand wrote:

> RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
> not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are
> so uptight about that.

Maybe because this is a text-based, non-binary group. Maybe because some do
an automatic down-load of ALL posts when they click on this ng, which
negates your brilliant idea about designating binary files. Maybe because
most ISPs take very seriously violations of TOS regarding posting binaries
into non-binary designated groups. Maybe because many newsservers will
vomit out any posts containing binaries to text-based ngs.

> Seems to me if you posted message in one
> post, and labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another
> (jpgs. smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even
> with a dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru
> the beer bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group
> trying to find it.

And then you'd get those who will insist that the group nannies "can't force
ME to lable my posts as "pictures". And so, by your logic, they wouldn't
have to, because there shouldn't be ANY rules, and NO ONE should say boo.
Anarchy is soooooo cool. Gee, so instead you want us to wade thru the crap
of binaries to find text-only stuff? Let's not insist on standards, let's
just make things completely unusable and user unfriendly.

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:

(some stuff I snipped!)

ROTFL! Good one, Dave.

BOB

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:

(some stuff I snipped!)

ROTFL! Good one, Dave.

BOB

M&M

On 19-Aug-2004, "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Dick Wiegand wrote:
>
> > RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
> > not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are
> > so uptight about that.

> Maybe because this is a text-based, non-binary group. Maybe because some do
> an automatic down-load of ALL posts when they click on this ng, which
> negates your brilliant idea about designating binary files. Maybe because
> most ISPs take very seriously violations of TOS regarding posting binaries
> into non-binary designated groups. Maybe because many newsservers will
> vomit out any posts containing binaries to text-based ngs.
>
> > Seems to me if you posted message in one
> > post, and labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another
> > (jpgs. smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even
> > with a dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru
> > the beer bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group
> > trying to find it.

> And then you'd get those who will insist that the group nannies "can't force
> ME to lable my posts as "pictures". And so, by your logic, they wouldn't
> have to, because there shouldn't be ANY rules, and NO ONE should say boo.
> Anarchy is soooooo cool. Gee, so instead you want us to wade thru the crap
> of binaries to find text-only stuff? Let's not insist on standards, let's
> just make things completely unusable and user unfriendly.

I like to drive on the left side of the road sometimes and cruise through
the supermarket parking lot the wrong way. I don't understand why my
neighbors get so uptight about it. Most of them recognize my maroon
truck and could easily just get the hell out of my way. (bseg)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 19-Aug-2004, "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Dick Wiegand wrote:
>
> > RANT: I'd post pictures here, but too many complain about top posting,
> > not snipping, much less posting a binary. Don't know why people are
> > so uptight about that.

> Maybe because this is a text-based, non-binary group. Maybe because some do
> an automatic down-load of ALL posts when they click on this ng, which
> negates your brilliant idea about designating binary files. Maybe because
> most ISPs take very seriously violations of TOS regarding posting binaries
> into non-binary designated groups. Maybe because many newsservers will
> vomit out any posts containing binaries to text-based ngs.
>
> > Seems to me if you posted message in one
> > post, and labeled another as pictures to go with the post in another
> > (jpgs. smaller than 100K in size, one could choose to view it (even
> > with a dial-up connection) if interested, rather than to drudge thru
> > the beer bottle pictures (and other crap binaries) in AFB group
> > trying to find it.

> And then you'd get those who will insist that the group nannies "can't force
> ME to lable my posts as "pictures". And so, by your logic, they wouldn't
> have to, because there shouldn't be ANY rules, and NO ONE should say boo.
> Anarchy is soooooo cool. Gee, so instead you want us to wade thru the crap
> of binaries to find text-only stuff? Let's not insist on standards, let's
> just make things completely unusable and user unfriendly.

I like to drive on the left side of the road sometimes and cruise through
the supermarket parking lot the wrong way. I don't understand why my
neighbors get so uptight about it. Most of them recognize my maroon
truck and could easily just get the hell out of my way. (bseg)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Spud

Dave,

You don't need any more stress in your life. Blow it off.

Just a suggestion,

Spud

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:12:24 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:

>Dave,
>
>You don't need any more stress in your life. Blow it off.

For some of us, poking newbies with pointy sticks IS a
stress-relieving activity.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:12:24 GMT, "Spud" > wrote:

>Dave,
>
>You don't need any more stress in your life. Blow it off.

For some of us, poking newbies with pointy sticks IS a
stress-relieving activity.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Caren Avore

"Stan (the Man)" >!!! You got some 'SPLAININ' to
do! Especially regarding news:6s3Vc.28943$vc4.12693299
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> "Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>>
>> Thanks, Gary

> I have the Texas model (BBQ050) and love it.

He COULD have had the "pig" model, but did he? Nooooo.

--
Caren

Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable. -- Plato
Caren Avore

"Stan (the Man)" >!!! You got some 'SPLAININ' to
do! Especially regarding news:6s3Vc.28943$vc4.12693299
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> "Gary Ingram" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone have any experience with the Traeger smoker/grills ?
>>
>> Thanks, Gary

> I have the Texas model (BBQ050) and love it.

He COULD have had the "pig" model, but did he? Nooooo.

--
Caren

Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable. -- Plato

Cleaning Traeger Grills greg h Barbecue 3 11-04-2008 11:21 PM
Traeger Thermostat Problems greg h Barbecue 0 31-03-2008 05:37 AM
Traeger [email protected] Barbecue 11 20-08-2007 07:34 PM
Looking for Traeger tips CigarLawyer Barbecue 21 01-07-2004 11:55 PM
pastrami on the Traeger Robert Barbecue 4 13-05-2004 12:24 AM