Jim Rutkowski

Default 55 gal Drum for a Pit

Folks,

Recently stumbled across a couple of nice new opened 55 gal drums and
I'd like to build myself a pit. I have all the tools, wire-feed, saws,
grinders etc.

What I'm looking for is features that would make this pit really stand
out.

TIA

Jim Rutkowski
Executive Chef
TrailerTrashAerospace
Dave Bugg

Jim Rutkowski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Recently stumbled across a couple of nice new opened 55 gal drums and
> I'd like to build myself a pit. I have all the tools, wire-feed, saws,
> grinders etc.
>
> What I'm looking for is features that would make this pit really stand
> out.

Give this a look, Jim:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

Dave Bugg

Jim Rutkowski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Recently stumbled across a couple of nice new opened 55 gal drums and
> I'd like to build myself a pit. I have all the tools, wire-feed, saws,
> grinders etc.
>
> What I'm looking for is features that would make this pit really stand
> out.

Give this a look, Jim:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

Dave Bugg

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Give this a look, Jim:
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
shtml

Dave Bugg

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Give this a look, Jim:
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
shtml

JD

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

|| Dave Bugg wrote:
||| Give this a look, Jim:
||| http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html
|| Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
|| shtml

A local expatriate Okie, Jim Lee, runs one hell of a Q joint, called
strangely enough, Double Barrel BBQ in Burlington WA using a brace of 4 of
these things. I'll vouch for the quality these things are capable of
producing.

JD

JD

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

|| Dave Bugg wrote:
||| Give this a look, Jim:
||| http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html
|| Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
|| shtml

A local expatriate Okie, Jim Lee, runs one hell of a Q joint, called
strangely enough, Double Barrel BBQ in Burlington WA using a brace of 4 of
these things. I'll vouch for the quality these things are capable of
producing.

JD

Jim Rutkowski

Dave and JD,

Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.

A few weeks ago somebody posted about building a single vertical drum
pit. It was as basic as they come, pretty much a mesh fire basket in
the bottom and a weber 22" grill on top, with a bunch of holes for air
flow. I really admire simplicity BUT, this unit screamed for some
mods.

My first ideas were more accurate air control and somehow adding some
mass between the fire and the food to moderate temp swings, I'm
thinking either 1/4"-1/2" steel plate or refractory bricks.

Anyway, I've picked-up so much wisdom here on a.f.b I thought I'd
throw this out to the gurus.

Thanks

Jim
>Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Give this a look, Jim:
>> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

>Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
>http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
>shtml

Jim Rutkowski

Dave and JD,

Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.

A few weeks ago somebody posted about building a single vertical drum
pit. It was as basic as they come, pretty much a mesh fire basket in
the bottom and a weber 22" grill on top, with a bunch of holes for air
flow. I really admire simplicity BUT, this unit screamed for some
mods.

My first ideas were more accurate air control and somehow adding some
mass between the fire and the food to moderate temp swings, I'm
thinking either 1/4"-1/2" steel plate or refractory bricks.

Anyway, I've picked-up so much wisdom here on a.f.b I thought I'd
throw this out to the gurus.

Thanks

Jim
>Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Give this a look, Jim:
>> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

>Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
>http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
>shtml

Michael Bohl

Yes, there are some slight modifications, which make a 55
gallon drum an EXCELLENT BBQ UNIT.

Cut the drum in half, top to bottom~ Weld or bolt (better)
hinges to the seperated pieces. This permits the easy
opening and closing of the BBQ. Drill 3/4" holes 1" below
the cut. Drill holes every 12 inches. Slide some 3/4"
rebar between the two sides of the drum. These bars serve as
the holder for the grill grate. In my case it serves as the
support for the cooking tray.
My grill is on a trailer and I take it to various and
sundry cookouts in the area. If you don't need it to be
mobile, simply fabricate some legs out of angle iron. I
cook whole pigs on my cooker. Takes, 12 - 18 hours depending
on size.
Horizontal grill fabrication is the best use for a 55
gallon drum!

Michael Bohl

Jim Rutkowski wrote:

> Dave and JD,
>
> Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
> these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.
>
> A few weeks ago somebody posted about building a single vertical drum
> pit. It was as basic as they come, pretty much a mesh fire basket in
> the bottom and a weber 22" grill on top, with a bunch of holes for air
> flow. I really admire simplicity BUT, this unit screamed for some
> mods.
>
> My first ideas were more accurate air control and somehow adding some
> mass between the fire and the food to moderate temp swings, I'm
> thinking either 1/4"-1/2" steel plate or refractory bricks.
>
> Anyway, I've picked-up so much wisdom here on a.f.b I thought I'd
> throw this out to the gurus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
> >Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> >> Give this a look, Jim:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

> >Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
> >http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
> >shtml

Michael Bohl

Jim Rutkowski wrote:

> Dave and JD,
>
> Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
> these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.
>
> A few weeks ago somebody posted about building a single vertical drum
> pit. It was as basic as they come, pretty much a mesh fire basket in
> the bottom and a weber 22" grill on top, with a bunch of holes for air
> flow. I really admire simplicity BUT, this unit screamed for some
> mods.
>
> My first ideas were more accurate air control and somehow adding some
> mass between the fire and the food to moderate temp swings, I'm
> thinking either 1/4"-1/2" steel plate or refractory bricks.
>
> Anyway, I've picked-up so much wisdom here on a.f.b I thought I'd
> throw this out to the gurus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
> >Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> >> Give this a look, Jim:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cfmitch/BBQ3.html

> >Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
> >http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
> >shtml

Jim Rutkowski

Michael,

Thanks for the info, matter-of-fact it's the inspiration I needed for
a grill I've promised to build for some friends.

How big a pig will fit in your setup? What's optimal?

Thanks Again,

Jim

>Yes, there are some slight modifications, which make a 55
>gallon drum an EXCELLENT BBQ UNIT.
>
>Cut the drum in half, top to bottom~ Weld or bolt (better)
>hinges to the seperated pieces. This permits the easy
>opening and closing of the BBQ. Drill 3/4" holes 1" below
>the cut. Drill holes every 12 inches. Slide some 3/4"
>rebar between the two sides of the drum. These bars serve as
>the holder for the grill grate. In my case it serves as the
>support for the cooking tray.
> My grill is on a trailer and I take it to various and
>sundry cookouts in the area. If you don't need it to be
>mobile, simply fabricate some legs out of angle iron. I
>cook whole pigs on my cooker. Takes, 12 - 18 hours depending
>on size.
> Horizontal grill fabrication is the best use for a 55
>gallon drum!
>
>Michael Bohl

>Jim Rutkowski wrote:
>>
>> Dave and JD,
>>
>> Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
>> these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.
>>
>> A few weeks ago somebody posted about building a single vertical drum
>> pit. It was as basic as they come, pretty much a mesh fire basket in
>> the bottom and a weber 22" grill on top, with a bunch of holes for air
>> flow. I really admire simplicity BUT, this unit screamed for some
>> mods.
>>
>> My first ideas were more accurate air control and somehow adding some
>> mass between the fire and the food to moderate temp swings, I'm
>> thinking either 1/4"-1/2" steel plate or refractory bricks.
>>
>> Anyway, I've picked-up so much wisdom here on a.f.b I thought I'd
>> throw this out to the gurus.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jim

>> >Forgot to add the link to the original "Big Baby"
>> >http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
>> >shtml

Jim Rutkowski

Wow Bertrum!

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a million!

>I think this is just what you are looking for. I don't think you can
>make better use of two 55 gallon drums than this. Click the link
>below.
>
>http://web.dbtech.net/~johnson/cooke...um/magnum.html
>
>...and for detailed instructions...
>
>http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/m...gnum_force.htm
>
>Hope this helps.

frohe

Jim Rutkowski wrote:
> Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
> these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.

Just in case you change your mind and go horizontal, here's a nice
design. Only thing I'd add is a smoke stack off the side that's at
the cookin grate level.

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...tent%2Fbbq.asp

or

http://tinyurl.com/5d6u2
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

Jim Rutkowski wrote:
> Thanks guys, I wouldn't be surprised if I eventually built one of
> these, but right now I'm looking for a vertical 1 drum version.

Just in case you change your mind and go horizontal, here's a nice
design. Only thing I'd add is a smoke stack off the side that's at
the cookin grate level.

http://bbq.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...tent%2Fbbq.asp

or

http://tinyurl.com/5d6u2
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Mike

http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
> || shtml
>
> A local expatriate Okie, Jim Lee, runs one hell of a Q joint, called
> strangely enough, Double Barrel BBQ in Burlington WA using a brace of 4 of
> these things. I'll vouch for the quality these things are capable of
> producing.
>
> JD

Where at in Burlington?

JD

"Mike" <mike@whidbeydotcom> wrote in message

http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
||| A local expatriate Okie, Jim Lee, runs one hell of a Q joint, called
||| strangely enough, Double Barrel BBQ in Burlington WA using a brace
||| of 4 of these things. I'll vouch for the quality these things are
||| capable of producing.
||| JD
|| Where at in Burlington?

Right across the street from Bow-Edison High School.

JD

Mike

"JD" > wrote in message
> "Mike" <mike@whidbeydotcom> wrote in message

http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
> || Where at in Burlington?
>
> Right across the street from Bow-Edison High School.
>
> JD

I will have to give it a try,
are the silvers in the river yet?

Mike

"JD" > wrote in message
> "Mike" <mike@whidbeydotcom> wrote in message

http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalp..._metal_bbq_pit.
> || Where at in Burlington?
>
> Right across the street from Bow-Edison High School.
>
> JD

I will have to give it a try,
are the silvers in the river yet?

sedge laptop

Mike wrote:

>>Right across the street from Bow-Edison High School.
>>
>>JD
>>

> I will have to give it a try,
> are the silvers in the river yet?

Upriver season opens Sept. 16th for the Skagit.

"Anglers should note the pamphlet contains an error on the starting date
for salmon fishing on the upper Skagit River. Fishing for coho actually
begins in the upper river Sept. 16 – not Sept. 1, as stated in the
pamphlet. The Sept. 16 start date applies on the river from Gilligan
Creek upstream to the confluence with the Cascade River. The lower river
– from the mouth upstream to Gilligan Creek – opened Sept. 1 with a
three-fish daily limit, and all chinook and chum must be released."

I think he's opening another joint on the west side in Mt. Vernon. At
least all his original "shack" gear was parked there yesterday. The main
location was hopping in the afternoon and it looks like he's added
chicken to the menu. I need to stop in there again.

--
Saara

sedge laptop

BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Cooking Equipment 1 20-05-2006 11:08 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Restaurants 0 07-05-2006 03:25 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Preserving 0 07-05-2006 03:25 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Beer 0 07-05-2006 03:23 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS General Cooking 0 07-05-2006 03:23 AM