Joe Rizzo

Default Rubbery Chicken

I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.

Any input would be appreciated.

Joe
Banjo

Under cooked. Gummy chicken, while edible, is kinda nasty.

Chicken can often take a little more temp than you think, especially if the skin is left on.

Where were you taking your temp reading? 325 for 5 hours should have left you a "fallin' off the bone" chicken. However, 8 lbs. is a HUGE chicken, so while it might have been up to spec (by the book), it probably could have used more time. I'll bet a 5 pound chicken would have been well done.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

See ya!

-Banjo

P.S: Sorry for the top-post (some folks are REALLY touchy about this), but my newsreader is wierd.
"Joe Rizzo" > wrote in message ...
I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.

Any input would be appreciated.

Joe

Louis Cohen

Sounds way overcooked. Cook chicken to 160° in the thickest part of the thigh, not touching bone, or in the breast touching bone. Or, when you can shake hands easily with a leg.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Joe Rizzo" > wrote in message ...
I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.

Any input would be appreciated.

Joe

Frank Mancuso

I think an 8lb Chicken qualifies as a roaster, and is probably too big.
They tend to be tougher than a boot.

Joe Rizzo wrote:

> I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5
> hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like
> chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to
> the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting
> upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Joe

TFM®

Joe Rizzo wrote:
> I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about
> 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was
> like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing
> I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it
> roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Joe

It was a hen, not a chicken

TFM®

TFM®

Joe Rizzo wrote:
> I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about
> 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was
> like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing
> I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it
> roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Joe

It was a hen, not a chicken

TFM®

TFM®

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> I think an 8lb Chicken qualifies as a roaster, and is probably too
> big. They tend to be tougher than a boot.

Bingo!

TFM®

TFM®

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> I think an 8lb Chicken qualifies as a roaster, and is probably too
> big. They tend to be tougher than a boot.

Bingo!

TFM®

Matthew L. Martin

Joe Rizzo wrote:
> I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5
> hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like
> chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to
> the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting
> upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

Please lose the HTML.

If, as others have suggested, you bought a stewing hen instead of a
roaster, that would be the problem. If it was a roasting chicken, I'd
wager it was also very dry. I usually roast an 8# roaster for 2 1/2 to 3
hours at that temperature. When I smoke them at 250-275 they take
between 6 and seven hours. Smoked, they are never rubbery (except the
skin) and IME, never dry.

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

Joe Rizzo wrote:
> I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5
> hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like
> chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to
> the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting
> upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

Please lose the HTML.

If, as others have suggested, you bought a stewing hen instead of a
roaster, that would be the problem. If it was a roasting chicken, I'd
wager it was also very dry. I usually roast an 8# roaster for 2 1/2 to 3
hours at that temperature. When I smoke them at 250-275 they take
between 6 and seven hours. Smoked, they are never rubbery (except the
skin) and IME, never dry.

Matthew

Joe Rizzo

Yes, it was labeled a roasting hen.
Should I not use them? I figured the way I was cooking it, I was roasting
it.
Joe
"TFM®" > wrote in message
. ..
> Joe Rizzo wrote:
> > I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about
> > 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was
> > like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing
> > I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it
> > roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >
> > Joe

> It was a hen, not a chicken
>

> TFM®

Joe Rizzo

Yes, it was labeled a roasting hen.
Should I not use them? I figured the way I was cooking it, I was roasting
it.
Joe
"TFM®" > wrote in message
. ..
> Joe Rizzo wrote:
> > I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about
> > 5 hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was
> > like chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing
> > I did to the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it
> > roasting upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >
> > Joe

> It was a hen, not a chicken
>

> TFM®

Joe Rizzo

Matt:
How is that without HTML
The bird was not dry at all. In fact it was pretty moist. I thought it
would be done in 4 hrs, but I kept it cooking until the internal temp was
180. I wonder if the farmer had this chicken on steroids?

What is the difference between a stewing hen and a roasting hen?
I thought chicken was chicken.

Joe

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Joe Rizzo wrote:
> > I just cooked a 8 lb chicken on a Big Green Egg. Temp 325, for about 5
> > hrs. Internal temp of the chicken was 180 degrees. The meat was like
> > chewing rubber. What could I have done wrong. The only thing I did to
> > the bird was sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and had it roasting
> > upright over a can of Bud on a rack.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.

> Please lose the HTML.
>
> If, as others have suggested, you bought a stewing hen instead of a
> roaster, that would be the problem. If it was a roasting chicken, I'd
> wager it was also very dry. I usually roast an 8# roaster for 2 1/2 to 3
> hours at that temperature. When I smoke them at 250-275 they take
> between 6 and seven hours. Smoked, they are never rubbery (except the
> skin) and IME, never dry.
>
> Matthew

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:44:06 GMT, "Banjo" >
wrote:

>P.S: Sorry for the top-post (some folks are REALLY touchy about this), but my newsreader is wierd.

It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?

Download and install QuoteFix if you insist on reading Usenet with
Outlook Express.

Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Dirty Harry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:44:06 GMT, "Banjo" >
> wrote:
>
>> P.S: Sorry for the top-post (some folks are REALLY touchy about
>> this), but my newsreader is wierd.

> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?
>
> Download and install QuoteFix if you insist on reading Usenet with
> Outlook Express.

Cool!

Dirty Harry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:44:06 GMT, "Banjo" >
> wrote:
>
>> P.S: Sorry for the top-post (some folks are REALLY touchy about
>> this), but my newsreader is wierd.

> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?
>
> Download and install QuoteFix if you insist on reading Usenet with
> Outlook Express.

Cool!

Banjo

> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?

Beg pardon? I don't speak snide. And you should be ashamed to do so.

I think it had something to do with his HTML that confused me. I TRIED to
bottom-post, but it kept looking like part of the original message. So I
top-posted, and apologised for it.

Sorry if that wasn't good enough for you.

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:44:06 GMT, "Banjo" >
> wrote:
>
> >P.S: Sorry for the top-post (some folks are REALLY touchy about this),

but my newsreader is wierd.

> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?
>
> Download and install QuoteFix if you insist on reading Usenet with
> Outlook Express.

> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:39:13 -0500, "Banjo"
> wrote:

>> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?
>>

>Beg pardon? I don't speak snide. And you should be ashamed to do so.

Trust me when I say that I'm just filled with shame and bitter
self-recrimination right now.

>I think it had something to do with his HTML that confused me. I TRIED to
>bottom-post, but it kept looking like part of the original message. So I
>top-posted, and apologised for it.

You "apologized" by saying "my newsreader is weird," even though you
are using what is arguably the most common newsreader on Usenet. I
pointed you to software that offers a solution to your inability to
use OE correctly. Other software exists, as well. It's called "A Real
Newsreader."

>Sorry if that wasn't good enough for you.

That's okay. You can try harder next time.

BTW, is your delete key b0rken, too, or is there some other reason you
quoted all of the post at the bottom of your follow-up?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:39:13 -0500, "Banjo"
> wrote:

>> It somehow manages to disable your cursor keys?
>>

>Beg pardon? I don't speak snide. And you should be ashamed to do so.

Trust me when I say that I'm just filled with shame and bitter
self-recrimination right now.

>I think it had something to do with his HTML that confused me. I TRIED to
>bottom-post, but it kept looking like part of the original message. So I
>top-posted, and apologised for it.

You "apologized" by saying "my newsreader is weird," even though you
are using what is arguably the most common newsreader on Usenet. I
pointed you to software that offers a solution to your inability to
use OE correctly. Other software exists, as well. It's called "A Real
Newsreader."

>Sorry if that wasn't good enough for you.

That's okay. You can try harder next time.

BTW, is your delete key b0rken, too, or is there some other reason you
quoted all of the post at the bottom of your follow-up?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Banjo

You win!

http://www.clint.ca/argue/argue.jpg

Banjo

You win!

http://www.clint.ca/argue/argue.jpg

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:33:12 -0500, "Banjo"
> wrote:

>You win!
>
>http://www.clint.ca/argue/argue.jpg

<yawn>

I don't even have to "click" on that "link" with my "electronic mouse"
to know that it leads to the photo of a kid running in the Special
Olympics. Time for some new material.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:33:12 -0500, "Banjo"
> wrote:

>You win!
>
>http://www.clint.ca/argue/argue.jpg

<yawn>

I don't even have to "click" on that "link" with my "electronic mouse"
to know that it leads to the photo of a kid running in the Special
Olympics. Time for some new material.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Default User

Banjo wrote:

> You win!

No, you do.

*plonk*

Brian Rodenborn

Banjo wrote:

> You win!

No, you do.

*plonk*

Brian Rodenborn
Banjo

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> I don't even have to "click" on that "link" with my "electronic mouse"
> to know that it leads to the photo of a kid running in the Special
> Olympics. Time for some new material.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

....and he KEEPS ON RUNNING!!! Woo hoo!

Banjo

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> I don't even have to "click" on that "link" with my "electronic mouse"
> to know that it leads to the photo of a kid running in the Special
> Olympics. Time for some new material.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

....and he KEEPS ON RUNNING!!! Woo hoo!

Banjo

"Default User" > wrote in message

> > You win!

> No, you do.
>
> *plonk*
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Wow. A relay race.

-Banjo

Banjo

"Default User" > wrote in message

> > You win!

> No, you do.
>
> *plonk*
>

> Brian Rodenborn

Wow. A relay race.

-Banjo

Dave Bugg

Eddie wrote:

> LMAO, good one! Albeit a little insensitive. But hey, we all need a
> little laugh once in a while. Hell, I've seen people laugh at
> funerals!

This will make you double over then, Eddie.

Hey, Banjo, just for you:
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Dave Bugg

Eddie wrote:

> LMAO, good one! Albeit a little insensitive. But hey, we all need a
> little laugh once in a while. Hell, I've seen people laugh at
> funerals!

This will make you double over then, Eddie.

Hey, Banjo, just for you:
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Banjo

Run, Forrest, run!

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> This will make you double over then, Eddie.
>
> Hey, Banjo, just for you:
> http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Banjo

Run, Forrest, run!

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> This will make you double over then, Eddie.
>
> Hey, Banjo, just for you:
> http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Banjo

Ya know, I replied on topic, made an apology for my faux pas, and generally try to be a contributor to this group. However, some would rather play nanny and beat a dead horse than just let it go.

I am sure I could string those guys along for a while, but I tire of them.

I wonder how many other good BBQ guys they have run off with thier holier-than-thou attitutude, and thier stick in the ass adherence to a "standard" that really don't mean shit.

See ya?

I don't think so.

-Banjo

Sooooooo....

Any verdict on the chicken ? Or are we still discussing HTML and TOP
posting...

e-

Dave Bugg

Banjo wrote:

> I am sure I could string those guys along for a while, but I tire of
> them.

Uh, huh

> I wonder how many other good BBQ guys they have run off with thier
> holier-than-thou attitutude,

OTHER good bbq guys? You ain't amonst that group, Bubba.

> and thier stick in the ass adherence to
> a "standard" that really don't mean shit.

That's what all the "stick-up-their-ass" boneheads say.

> See ya?
>
> I don't think so.

Mean it?

Dave Bugg

Banjo wrote:

> I am sure I could string those guys along for a while, but I tire of
> them.

Uh, huh

> I wonder how many other good BBQ guys they have run off with thier
> holier-than-thou attitutude,

OTHER good bbq guys? You ain't amonst that group, Bubba.

> and thier stick in the ass adherence to
> a "standard" that really don't mean shit.

That's what all the "stick-up-their-ass" boneheads say.

> See ya?
>
> I don't think so.

Mean it?

Rubbery Crepes Cheesecake Lady Baking 10 10-10-2017 04:52 PM
Even The Lettuce Was Rubbery . . . Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 18-09-2007 11:33 PM
Rubbery Texture? alphabetgirl Sourdough 16 09-03-2006 01:54 PM
Vertical Chicken Roaster: CAJUN ROAST CHICKEN WITH CORN BREAD Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 02:08 AM
Flat, rubbery cakes. armitageshanks Baking 3 22-08-2004 08:29 AM