StocksRus®

"tgodiver" > wrote in
:

> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it
> from the propane tank?

Get the adapter.

--
StocksRus®

StocksRus®

"tgodiver" > wrote in
:

> what kind of adapter? I have a coupler fitting that will fit on the
> inlet pipe. Is that the adapter you are talking about?
>
> Thanks
> StocksRus® > wrote in message
> 50...
>> "tgodiver" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using
>> > it from the propane tank?
>> >

>> Get the adapter.
>>
>> --
>> StocksRus®

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would contact the manufacturer of the
fryer and get the adapter from them. I have a nieghbor that nearly burnt
his deck down by trying to rig it himself.
--
StocksRus®

tgodiver

Default turkey fryer

Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
the propane tank?

tgodiver

what kind of adapter? I have a coupler fitting that will fit on the inlet
pipe. Is that the adapter you are talking about?

Thanks
StocksRus® > wrote in message
50...
> "tgodiver" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it
> > from the propane tank?
> >

> Get the adapter.
>
> --
> StocksRus®

Xanath

"tgodiver" > wrote in message
> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it

from
> the propane tank?

You have to change the jets on the fryer.
Nateral gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.
So the jets will have different sized orifaces (holes-can't spell).
Other than that it will work fine.

Xanath

"tgodiver" > wrote in message
> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it

from
> the propane tank?

You have to change the jets on the fryer.
Nateral gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.
So the jets will have different sized orifaces (holes-can't spell).
Other than that it will work fine.

tgodiver

what happens when you use the same jets as before?

Xanath > wrote in message

> "tgodiver" > wrote in message
> > Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it

> from
> > the propane tank?

> You have to change the jets on the fryer.
> Nateral gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.
> So the jets will have different sized orifaces (holes-can't spell).
> Other than that it will work fine.

tgodiver

Xanath > wrote in message

> "tgodiver" > wrote in message
> > Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it

> from
> > the propane tank?

> You have to change the jets on the fryer.
> Nateral gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.
> So the jets will have different sized orifaces (holes-can't spell).
> Other than that it will work fine.

Dick Wiegand

tgodiver wrote:

> what happens when you use the same jets as before?
>
> Xanath > wrote in message

The reason you have to change the orifice (which meters/limits the gas flow)
is due to the fact that propane has a higher BTU value (available heat) than
natural gas. If you don't change the orifice, you will limit the burner
(starve) and effectively derate the BTU rating (heat output).

Two things in gas flow to remember. Propane and natural gas both have
regulators to reduce the pressure coming from the tank or street
respectively. When a gas applicance is designed, the metering of the fuel is
jetted (i.e. diameter of the orifice) to achieve the design BTU output at a
given fuel supply pressure.

All adjustment from that point on is done with the air shutter (found on all
gas burning devices, to control the air/fuel mixture to ensure proper
balance, and optimum fuel use.

Most propane distributors, or you local supplier of natural gas should be
able to provide help, or let you know who has what you need in your area.

Dick

Dick Wiegand

tgodiver wrote:

> what happens when you use the same jets as before?
>
> Xanath > wrote in message

The reason you have to change the orifice (which meters/limits the gas flow)
is due to the fact that propane has a higher BTU value (available heat) than
natural gas. If you don't change the orifice, you will limit the burner
(starve) and effectively derate the BTU rating (heat output).

Two things in gas flow to remember. Propane and natural gas both have
regulators to reduce the pressure coming from the tank or street
respectively. When a gas applicance is designed, the metering of the fuel is
jetted (i.e. diameter of the orifice) to achieve the design BTU output at a
given fuel supply pressure.

All adjustment from that point on is done with the air shutter (found on all
gas burning devices, to control the air/fuel mixture to ensure proper
balance, and optimum fuel use.

Most propane distributors, or you local supplier of natural gas should be
able to provide help, or let you know who has what you need in your area.

Dick

Xanath

That's what I said.

In a dumb sort of way.

Xanath

That's what I said.

In a dumb sort of way.

Bolivar

tgodiver wrote:

> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
> the propane tank?

No!

Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
pressure.
And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
of your burner is.

Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .

You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
them.

Boli
Bolivar

tgodiver wrote:

> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
> the propane tank?

No!

Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
pressure.
And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
of your burner is.

Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .

You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
them.

Boli
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:52:40 -0400, Bolivar > wrote:

>tgodiver wrote:
>>
>> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
>> the propane tank?

>No!
>
>Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
>pressure.
>And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
>You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
>You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
>of your burner is.
>
>Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
>pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
>will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .
>
>You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
>literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
>appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
>information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
>kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
>needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
>them.
>
>Boli

Not quite, Boli
All that needs to be done is to get the gas guys to drill out the
venturii orifice to the correct size or better yet buy a replacement -
the part is cheap and if you want to revert back to LPG, all that will
need to is to swap venturii.

Nat Gas does not require the use of a regulator. It's correctly
pressurized when it comes off the line.

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:52:40 -0400, Bolivar > wrote:

>tgodiver wrote:
>>
>> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
>> the propane tank?

>No!
>
>Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
>pressure.
>And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
>You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
>You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
>of your burner is.
>
>Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
>pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
>will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .
>
>You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
>literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
>appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
>information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
>kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
>needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
>them.
>
>Boli

Not quite, Boli
All that needs to be done is to get the gas guys to drill out the
venturii orifice to the correct size or better yet buy a replacement -
the part is cheap and if you want to revert back to LPG, all that will
need to is to swap venturii.

Nat Gas does not require the use of a regulator. It's correctly
pressurized when it comes off the line.

Harry
Martin Golding

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:53:02 +0000, Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> All that needs to be done is to get the gas guys to drill out the
> venturii orifice to the correct size or better yet buy a replacement -
> the part is cheap and if you want to revert back to LPG, all that will
> need to is to swap venturii.

My turkey fryer's regulator which puts out significantly higher pressure
when full on than the regulators on my other propane equipment. The gas
pressure supplied to my house is inadequate to operate my turkey fryer
at full power, though it may be sufficient, once the oil is hot. There are
probably lower power turkey fryers, and certainly higher pressure gas
lines in other houses. My cousin, for instance, operates a small kiln.

> Nat Gas does not require the use of a regulator. It's correctly
> pressurized when it comes off the line.

The regulator will usually be just outside, upstream of the meter.
That's probably what you meant, there's a single regulator for the
whole house (excepting such exceptions as my cousin's kiln).

Even so, my cooktop has it's own regulator. I have no idea whether that
was necessary, or yet another example of the blithering stupidity of
the people who installed our gas lines. Possibly, the pressure required
for our water heater was too high for our cooktop. I'll not bother to
investigate as long as stuff works.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | Applying modern technology is simply a matter of
Dod #0236 KotLQ | finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Martin Golding