FoodBanter.com

-   -   quarry stone = pizza stone : continued? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/30837-quarry-stone-pizza-stone.html)

Zed Rafi 09-08-2004 07:20 PM

quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

Hello,

I've been lurking around this group for a while now.
I was very interested by the message posted earlier saying it was possible
to bake pizza ion the BBQ using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a pizza
stone.

Are these tiles any good??? No one gave testimonials as to whether it worked
fine or not... Woogeroo, did you try it? If so, how did it go?

thanks

Dick Wiegand 09-08-2004 09:12 PM

Zed Rafi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking around this group for a while now.
> I was very interested by the message posted earlier saying it was possible
> to bake pizza ion the BBQ using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a pizza
> stone.
>
> Are these tiles any good??? No one gave testimonials as to whether it worked
> fine or not... Woogeroo, did you try it? If so, how did it go?
>
> thanks

I think some people are missing the point, althought I haven't followed the
complete thread.

The purpose of the tiles is to provide a mass to store heat. A modren pizza
oven has a very heavy plate on which pizzas are cooked on, while there are also
ceramic (stone/brick) etc. ovens fired from below. Most are totally lined.

Old bread baking ovens were actually stone/bric/clay, and you built a fire in
them to heat up the mass of stone/brick/clay, and then swept out remains of
fire, and bake until too cold.

I have a friend who lined his oven with mexican pavers (unglazed), and there is
a commercial product out now, that covers bottom, sides and back of ovens and
fits together by interlocking.

Best bet is to go to a masonery supply store - you don't want bricks that could
contain any lead or other harmful things that may be released when they are
heated -- same thing applied to glaze - gotta watch out for heavy metals.

Dick

Dick Wiegand 09-08-2004 09:12 PM

Dick Wiegand 09-08-2004 09:12 PM

Kevin Ross 10-08-2004 02:01 AM

quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

"Zed Rafi" > wrote...
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking around this group for a while now.
> I was very interested by the message posted earlier saying it was possible
> to bake pizza ion the BBQ using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a pizza
> stone.
>
> Are these tiles any good??? No one gave testimonials as to whether it worked
> fine or not... Woogeroo, did you try it? If so, how did it go?
>
> thanks

They work great. I've been using them for a couple years now, since I
first saw it on Good Eats. I use the Mexican saltillo tiles at Home
Depot, $.98/ea.

The really nice thing about these versus a "real" pizza stone, is they
are so cheap, you don't care if you crack them or whatever. I buy
them by the box. I use them on the grill, in the oven, etc.

The only downside is, I've only been able to find them in 12" x 12"
sizes, nothing bigger. This is fine for personal pizzas, but you
can't go much bigger. You can always put several tiles together. The
pizza crust doesn't mind the "cracks" between the tiles.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin

Kevin Ross 10-08-2004 02:01 AM

Kent H. 10-08-2004 06:17 AM

quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

I agree with Kevin's comments. I would have trouble with the small tile
size. If you want to make a "pizza" in the "normal" size it wont' work.
Kent

Kent H. 10-08-2004 06:17 AM

Woogeroo 12-08-2004 01:33 AM

quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

I have an old style big green egg - so I don't think the smoker will
get up hot enough.

I wanted one to cook a pork shoulder(boston butt) to prevent flare
ups. Put the stone ont he grill, the rack with the pork on top of
that.

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Zed Rafi 12-08-2004 02:21 PM

quarry stone = pizza stone : continued?

the hell with quarry tiles. was walking in the malkl and came across a pizza
stone on special for 10$ canadian.
man, is that the bomb!!!!! it makes italian-restaurant-style pizza!!!!!!

KK 17-08-2004 07:13 PM

Has anyone used these quarry stones in place of the lava rock on gas grills?
I'm thinking the 6 inch tiles would fit perfectly on the bottom of my
ducane... I've usually had to replace mine every year so figure this could
save me quite a little at .37 cents each.

D. Klement 19-08-2004 08:56 PM

"KK" > wrote in message ...
> Has anyone used these quarry stones in place of the lava rock on gas

grills?
> I'm thinking the 6 inch tiles would fit perfectly on the bottom of my
> ducane... I've usually had to replace mine every year so figure this could
> save me quite a little at .37 cents each.

I just picked up a dozen 6" square tiles yesterday, haven't tried them out
yet.
I'll post when I do. Can't see why they wouldn't work. My wife wants to use
some for a pizza / bread stone set-up in the oven.

Darryl in Ontario.

D. Klement 19-08-2004 08:56 PM

Kevin S. Wilson 19-08-2004 09:00 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:56:10 -0400, "D. Klement"
> wrote:

>I just picked up a dozen 6" square tiles yesterday, haven't tried them out
>yet.
>I'll post when I do. Can't see why they wouldn't work. My wife wants to use
>some for a pizza / bread stone set-up in the oven.

I don't see how 6" tiles will work, except for very small personal
pizzas or little tiny loaves of bread. If you set 4 of them so they
form a square, then plop the dough onto them, won't the dough ooze
into the cracks between tiles, resulting in a pizza crust with a
bake-on tile surface?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson 19-08-2004 09:00 PM

Kevin Ross 20-08-2004 03:15 AM

Kevin S. Wilson > wrote...
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:56:10 -0400, "D. Klement"
> > wrote:
>
> >I just picked up a dozen 6" square tiles yesterday, haven't tried them out
> >yet.
> >I'll post when I do. Can't see why they wouldn't work. My wife wants to use
> >some for a pizza / bread stone set-up in the oven.

> I don't see how 6" tiles will work, except for very small personal
> pizzas or little tiny loaves of bread. If you set 4 of them so they
> form a square, then plop the dough onto them, won't the dough ooze
> into the cracks between tiles, resulting in a pizza crust with a
> bake-on tile surface?

Not as long as the edges of the tile are squared off, and not rounded.
That way, the tiles will butt up next to each other much better. The
hardest part is making sure they're all at the same level. Putting
them all on top of a sheet pan might help.

Pizza dough isn't like biscuit batter. It won't "ooze". And it's
usually a bit drier and firmer than bread dough, because it's been
coated with flour for ease of handling, and so it'll slide easily off
the peel. And when I make it, I use a combination of bread flour and
semolina flour, plus extra kneading, because I like it a little
chewier. This dough will not ooze into the cracks.

Also, because you generally cook on these tiles with the oven set as
hot as it will go, as soon as the dough hits the tiles, it cooks very
quickly, at least the part touching the tile. It's not going
anywhere!

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin

Kevin Ross 20-08-2004 03:15 AM