Default New to BBQ

I received a brand new Bar-B-Chef for my birthday. And it seems to work
great except (ya knew that was coming)

The meat placed next to the opening of the offset box cooks way to fast.
There is a mod but I havent seen any photos.

I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack 1/2
way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct

I installed a thermometer in the factory thermometer hole is that a good
indication ?

I use the kingsford charcol with mesquite and it seems to work ok. How much
should I put in every 45 minutes to maintain tempature ?

Tia-

Ed.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:30:39 -0700, > wrote:

>I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack 1/2
>way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct

Open the smokestack vent all the way and leave it open, using the
firebox vent to control airflow.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:30:39 -0700, > wrote:

>I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack 1/2
>way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct

Open the smokestack vent all the way and leave it open, using the
firebox vent to control airflow.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Louis Cohen

Anyone can make great BBQ in any device which you can keep at 220-250° for
as long as it takes to cook what you're cooking. Figuring out how to do
that in your particular pit is up to you. Practice a lot, keep your eye on
the thermometer; you'll be justifiably proud of yourself when you have it
all working smoothly.

In an offset, you might need to move the meat around every couple of hours,
and swap it end for end, in order to cook evenly.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

> I received a brand new Bar-B-Chef for my birthday. And it seems to work
> great except (ya knew that was coming)
>
> The meat placed next to the opening of the offset box cooks way to fast.
> There is a mod but I havent seen any photos.
>
> I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack

1/2
> way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct
>
> I installed a thermometer in the factory thermometer hole is that a good
> indication ?
>
> I use the kingsford charcol with mesquite and it seems to work ok. How

much
> should I put in every 45 minutes to maintain tempature ?
>
> Tia-
>
> Ed.

Louis Cohen

Anyone can make great BBQ in any device which you can keep at 220-250° for
as long as it takes to cook what you're cooking. Figuring out how to do
that in your particular pit is up to you. Practice a lot, keep your eye on
the thermometer; you'll be justifiably proud of yourself when you have it
all working smoothly.

In an offset, you might need to move the meat around every couple of hours,
and swap it end for end, in order to cook evenly.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

> wrote in message
> I received a brand new Bar-B-Chef for my birthday. And it seems to work
> great except (ya knew that was coming)
>
> The meat placed next to the opening of the offset box cooks way to fast.
> There is a mod but I havent seen any photos.
>
> I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack

1/2
> way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct
>
> I installed a thermometer in the factory thermometer hole is that a good
> indication ?
>
> I use the kingsford charcol with mesquite and it seems to work ok. How

much
> should I put in every 45 minutes to maintain tempature ?
>
> Tia-
>
> Ed.

So the more air the hotter ?

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:30:39 -0700, > wrote:
>
> >I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack

1/2
> >way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct

> Open the smokestack vent all the way and leave it open, using the
> firebox vent to control airflow.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

So the more air the hotter ?

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:30:39 -0700, > wrote:
>
> >I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack

1/2
> >way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct

> Open the smokestack vent all the way and leave it open, using the
> firebox vent to control airflow.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:42:47 -0700, > wrote:

>So the more air the hotter ?

Generally speaking, but the amount of fuel plays an equal role. I've
always understood that the point of keeping the smokestack vent open
is to prevent the smoke from cooling in the cooking chamber, thereby
depositing creosote on the meat. Also, by leavng the vent open, you
have only one variable to contend with when adjusting airflow.

PS: Please don't top-post. It's confusing and rude.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:42:47 -0700, > wrote:

>So the more air the hotter ?

Generally speaking, but the amount of fuel plays an equal role. I've
always understood that the point of keeping the smokestack vent open
is to prevent the smoke from cooling in the cooking chamber, thereby
depositing creosote on the meat. Also, by leavng the vent open, you
have only one variable to contend with when adjusting airflow.

PS: Please don't top-post. It's confusing and rude.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:
> Re-posted to bottom for clarity
>
> wrote:

>>>Open the smokestack vent all the way and leave it open, using the
>>>firebox vent to control airflow.
>>>

>>So the more air the hotter ?

> Of course, but you should keep the exhaust stack full open and control the
> fire with the intake. The stack needs to be open to let smoke circulate. Ask
> anyone here, they'll tell you the same, keep the exhaust stack wide open.

Yup. Exhaust wide open.

> To learn fire control you might consider learning with intake wide open as
> well. This will speed up how fast you learn about fire size and fire
> control.

One comment on this - if it's windy at all, closing the firebox
damper down halfway will probably give better results than
wide open. My experience is that the firebox damper is most
effective when less than halfway open; more than that and
it might as well be fully open.

My personal approach in my offset is to control the
temperature primarily through fire size. The fire wants
to burn a certain way and if you rob it of oxygen it
won't be healthy. So reduce the fire size if it's way
too hot(I have a little Sunbeam Weber-clone that I keep
burning fuel in for this).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....food.barbecue

> BBQ FAQ
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>

> Best damn FAQ on usenet.
>
> Enjoy, have fun, don't worry about spikes or trying to keep temps within
> 25F, 50F swing is fine, new coals are gonna be hot, a cooling bed, well
> cooler. Just try to keep an average where you want it to be.

Exactly. Let the fire burn down 20-25F too low, add the amount of
fuel necessary to bring it back 25F too high, and let it cycle. With
experience, you'll tend about once an hour this way.

> And I suggest getting a Polder remote probe, real handy.

Absolutely. It's hot out today, I'd rather side Zinfandel inside
where it's 74F than stand outside where it's 92F.

BTW, this Zinfandel is great stuff:

http://www.sunsetcellars.com/00ledgewoodzin.html

.... and it's grown a few miles from my NBS ;-) Great
old-clone style... similar in many ways to Amador Zin.

Cheers,
Dana

Well I made some good BBQ this weekend Thanks for all your help.

> wrote in message
> I received a brand new Bar-B-Chef for my birthday. And it seems to work
> great except (ya knew that was coming)
>
> The meat placed next to the opening of the offset box cooks way to fast.
> There is a mod but I havent seen any photos.
>
> I am confused as to the whole air in air out thing I open my smokestack

1/2
> way and my firebox 1/4 ? Is that correct
>
> I installed a thermometer in the factory thermometer hole is that a good
> indication ?
>
> I use the kingsford charcol with mesquite and it seems to work ok. How

much
> should I put in every 45 minutes to maintain tempature ?
>
> Tia-
>
> Ed.

2 Briskets and 2 pork Butts. 30+ Lbs of Q. 7 Lbs of Hot slaw 15 ears of husk
on grilled sweet corn. And one duch oven of cowboy beans.

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message

> > Well I made some good BBQ this weekend Thanks for all your help.

> Glad you're happy -
> What did you make? (This weekend I did baby backs)
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I posted pictures to a.b.food of my 1st BBQ attempt.