Dave Bugg

Default Ha, I just found out who invented the briquette

Eddie wrote:
> Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
> great segment on how Kingsford was made.
> So guess who invented the briquette?
> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
*cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.

Yummmmm.

Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

Dana Myers

Dave Bugg wrote:

Funny, they forgot
> to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
> sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.

Well, gas and coal are similar products, right? ;-)

> Yummmmm.
>
> Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

Agreed.

Cheers,
Dana
Chris L.

Don't forget Borax,Coal tar. Clay,Lime, And other goodies.I'll never cook
with it.The stuff is just EVIL! IMHO.
Chris L.
"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Eddie wrote:
> > Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
> > great segment on how Kingsford was made.
> > So guess who invented the briquette?
> > Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
> *cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
> through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
> added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
> briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
> to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
> sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.
>
> Yummmmm.
>
> Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

JakBQuik

"Dave Bugg" < wrote >

<Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are still the
tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds about 3 good squirts
of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

John in Austin

webkatz

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Eddie wrote:
>
>>Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
>>great segment on how Kingsford was made.
>>So guess who invented the briquette?
>>Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
> *cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
> through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
> added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
> briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
> to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
> sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.
>
> Yummmmm.
>
> Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business - lump
charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press to turn
the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no paraffin, no
sawdust).

So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than your
Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice constant
heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.

Anybody else using this?

Dave

Niki

JakBQuik wrote:

> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are still the
> tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds about 3 good squirts
> of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long time.

--
Niki
Niki

JakBQuik wrote:

> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are still the
> tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds about 3 good squirts
> of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long time.

--
Niki
TFM®

Niki wrote:
> JakBQuik wrote:
>
>> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are
>> still the tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds
>> about 3 good squirts of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

> Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> time.

Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and trying to
cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease pour
into the fire.

What a difference that makes.

Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
wonderful substitue.

TFM®

TFM®

Niki wrote:
> JakBQuik wrote:
>
>> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are
>> still the tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds
>> about 3 good squirts of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

> Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> time.

Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and trying to
cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease pour
into the fire.

What a difference that makes.

Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
wonderful substitue.

TFM®

Jesse Skeens

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:56:13 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

>Eddie wrote:
>> Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
>> great segment on how Kingsford was made.
>> So guess who invented the briquette?
>> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

>I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
>*cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
>through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
>added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
>briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
>to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
>sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.
>
>Yummmmm.
>
>Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

Yes I was thinking the same exact thing during that episode.

Jesse

Jesse Skeens

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:56:13 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

>Eddie wrote:
>> Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
>> great segment on how Kingsford was made.
>> So guess who invented the briquette?
>> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

>I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
>*cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
>through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
>added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
>briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
>to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
>sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.
>
>Yummmmm.
>
>Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.

Yes I was thinking the same exact thing during that episode.

Jesse
Big Jim

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Eddie wrote:

> > So guess who invented the briquette?
> > Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

-- He did that to use up all the wood pallets he had laying around,
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Steve Grinstead

On 2-Aug-2004, webkatz > wrote:

> After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
> briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business - lump
> charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press to turn
> the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no paraffin, no
> sawdust).
>
> So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than your
> Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice constant
> heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.
>
> Anybody else using this?

Just got a 40# bag of Royal Oak a couple weeks ago. So far i've worked
about 1/2 way through it. Don't get me wrong there's probably 10# or so in
my WSM that I did a mess of chicken wings on.

I also used about 10# to grill everything from chicken breasts to bratwurst.
I just kept shutting the weber kettle down. Next time i needed to light
the charcoal chucked into the chimney onto the propane burner for 5 minutes
(if that) 15-20 minutes later i was cooking

I see my Do it Best hardware store special ordering this stuff for me a lot!

May get some royal oak lump too, but for $15 for 40# of charcoal i couldn't
pass it up.

Steve
Steve Grinstead

On 2-Aug-2004, webkatz > wrote:

> After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
> briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business - lump
> charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press to turn
> the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no paraffin, no
> sawdust).
>
> So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than your
> Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice constant
> heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.
>
> Anybody else using this?

Just got a 40# bag of Royal Oak a couple weeks ago. So far i've worked
about 1/2 way through it. Don't get me wrong there's probably 10# or so in
my WSM that I did a mess of chicken wings on.

I also used about 10# to grill everything from chicken breasts to bratwurst.
I just kept shutting the weber kettle down. Next time i needed to light
the charcoal chucked into the chimney onto the propane burner for 5 minutes
(if that) 15-20 minutes later i was cooking

I see my Do it Best hardware store special ordering this stuff for me a lot!

May get some royal oak lump too, but for $15 for 40# of charcoal i couldn't
pass it up.

Steve
TFM®

Big Jim wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>> Eddie wrote:

>>> So guess who invented the briquette?
>>> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> -- He did that to use up all the wood pallets he had laying around,

Hey Slim, long time no see.

TFM®

TFM®

Big Jim wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>> Eddie wrote:

>>> So guess who invented the briquette?
>>> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> -- He did that to use up all the wood pallets he had laying around,

Hey Slim, long time no see.

TFM®

TFM®

Steve Grinstead wrote:
> On 2-Aug-2004, webkatz > wrote:
>
>> After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
>> briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business -
>> lump charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press
>> to turn the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no
>> paraffin, no sawdust).
>>
>> So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than
>> your Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice
>> constant heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.
>>
>> Anybody else using this?

> Just got a 40# bag of Royal Oak a couple weeks ago. So far i've
> worked about 1/2 way through it. Don't get me wrong there's probably
> 10# or so in my WSM that I did a mess of chicken wings on.
>
> I also used about 10# to grill everything from chicken breasts to
> bratwurst. I just kept shutting the weber kettle down. Next time i
> needed to light the charcoal chucked into the chimney onto the
> propane burner for 5 minutes (if that) 15-20 minutes later i was
> cooking
>
> I see my Do it Best hardware store special ordering this stuff for me
> a lot!
>
> May get some royal oak lump too, but for $15 for 40# of charcoal i
> couldn't pass it up.
>
> Steve

Well, I pay $12 for a 40 lb. bag of lump straight from the factory, so that
don't sound like all that much of a deal to me, but what the hell, I live
here. <G>

I am intrigued by the claim that there's no crap in the briquettes. Might
have to drop some coins on a bag next time.

TFM®

Graeme...in London

"TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
.. .
> Niki wrote:
> > JakBQuik wrote:
> >
> >> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are
> >> still the tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds
> >> about 3 good squirts of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

> > Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> > the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> > spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> > time.

> Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
> Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and trying

> cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease pour
> into the fire.
>
> What a difference that makes.
>
> Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
> wonderful substitue.
>

> TFM$B%g(B

FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
smells quite pleasant too.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
.. .
> Niki wrote:
> > JakBQuik wrote:
> >
> >> Me too. It's amazing to me that briquettes and lighter fluid are
> >> still the tools of choice for so many folks. My BIL still adds
> >> about 3 good squirts of lighter fluid after the coals are going good!

> > Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> > the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> > spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> > time.

> Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
> Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and trying

> cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease pour
> into the fire.
>
> What a difference that makes.
>
> Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
> wonderful substitue.
>

> TFM$B%g(B

FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
smells quite pleasant too.

Graeme

kilikini

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Niki wrote:

> > > Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> > > the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> > > spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> > > time.

> > Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
> > Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and

trying
> > cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease

pour
> > into the fire.
> >
> > What a difference that makes.
> >
> > Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
> > wonderful substitue.
> >

> > TFM$B%g(B
> >

> FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
> granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
> smells quite pleasant too.
>
> Graeme

Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
parts. :~)

kili

kilikini

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Niki wrote:

> > > Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill. After
> > > the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not so hot
> > > spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a long
> > > time.

> > Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it) grill in
> > Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with temps and

trying
> > cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and let the bacon grease

pour
> > into the fire.
> >
> > What a difference that makes.
> >
> > Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
> > wonderful substitue.
> >

> > TFM$B%g(B
> >

> FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
> granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
> smells quite pleasant too.
>
> Graeme

Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
parts. :~)

kili

TFM®

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "TFM$B%g(B" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Niki wrote:

>>> Last week I did something a lil different on the charcoal grill.
>>> After the flames were dying down a bit, I lightly drizzled the not
>>> so hot spots with a bit of vegetable oil. It was the best fire in a
>>> long
>>> time.

>> Was trying to cook breakfast on an improvised (read I built it)
>> grill in Lochloosa, Fl some time back. Not having much luck with
>> temps and trying to cook bacon. My friend Ed tipped the skillet and
>> let the bacon grease pour into the fire.
>>
>> What a difference that makes.
>>
>> Actually needed more ventilation in the cooker, but bacon grease is a
>> wonderful substitue.
>>

>> TFM$B%g(B
>>

> FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a
> handful of granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite
> quickly and smells quite pleasant too.
>
> Graeme

Hmmm... Sugar is something I don't keep in the house. Have no need for it.

TFM®

Neighbor Dave

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> > > So guess who invented the briquette?
> > > Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> -- He did that to use up all the wood pallets he had laying around,
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

On a similar thing, there is a guy here in central Texas that makes mesquite
hardwood flooring and turns the scrap pieces into charcoal. Kinda odd
looking, but burns great and only $3 a bag.

--
Neighbor Dave
"Beer is proof God loves us

Neighbor Dave

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> > > So guess who invented the briquette?
> > > Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

> -- He did that to use up all the wood pallets he had laying around,
> Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

On a similar thing, there is a guy here in central Texas that makes mesquite
hardwood flooring and turns the scrap pieces into charcoal. Kinda odd
looking, but burns great and only $3 a bag.

--
Neighbor Dave
"Beer is proof God loves us
and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

Niki

kilikini wrote:

Graeme said:
>>FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
>>granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
>>smells quite pleasant too.

> Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
> parts. :~)

Pepper does it too. K.C. Masterpiece BBQ seasoning does it well also.
Just for s&g, next time I'm going to try the sugar trick, even though I
don't have a sweet tooth. :-)

--
Niki

Niki

kilikini wrote:

Graeme said:
>>FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
>>granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
>>smells quite pleasant too.

> Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
> parts. :~)

Pepper does it too. K.C. Masterpiece BBQ seasoning does it well also.
Just for s&g, next time I'm going to try the sugar trick, even though I
don't have a sweet tooth. :-)

--
Niki
BOB

Niki wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
> Graeme said:
>>> FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
>>> granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
>>> smells quite pleasant too.

>> Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
>> parts. :~)

> Pepper does it too. K.C. Masterpiece BBQ seasoning does it well also.
> Just for s&g, next time I'm going to try the sugar trick, even though I
> don't have a sweet tooth. :-)
>
> --
> Niki

Finally! A use for KC masterpiece.

BOB

BOB

Niki wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
> Graeme said:
>>> FWIW, another good way to get the fire started is to throw on a handful of
>>> granulated sugar. It ignites quite easily, burns off quite quickly and
>>> smells quite pleasant too.

>> Sugar, that's interesting! That's one thing we have a lot of around these
>> parts. :~)

> Pepper does it too. K.C. Masterpiece BBQ seasoning does it well also.
> Just for s&g, next time I'm going to try the sugar trick, even though I
> don't have a sweet tooth. :-)
>
> --
> Niki

Finally! A use for KC masterpiece.

BOB

Niki

TFM® wrote:
> Hmmm... Sugar is something I don't keep in the house. Have no need for it.

I'm with ya on that one. I use Splenda in my coffee. Sometimes the pink
packets, sometimes the blue ones and sometimes that other yellow one. I
never use sugar on a daily basis. YUCK.
--
Niki
Niki

BOB wrote:

> Finally! A use for KC masterpiece.

Ha ! I'm so ****ed. I paid $3.79 for that jar. I can tell no discernible
taste difference sprinkling it on, during, after, around, over, through,
to or toward anything I've grilled out yet.

--
Niki

Niki

BOB wrote:

> Finally! A use for KC masterpiece.

Ha ! I'm so ****ed. I paid $3.79 for that jar. I can tell no discernible
taste difference sprinkling it on, during, after, around, over, through,
to or toward anything I've grilled out yet.

--
Niki
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Niki
> wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
> > Finally! A use for KC masterpiece.

> Ha ! I'm so ****ed. I paid $3.79 for that jar. I can tell no discernible
> taste difference sprinkling it on, during, after, around, over, through,
> to or toward anything I've grilled out yet.

I was gifted with some Ohama Mail Order Frozed Steaks that had a free
sample pack of the KC Masterpiece dust in amongst the paper load.
I've heard of 'gilding the lily' and I've heard of 'polishing a turd'
but sprinkling <this stuff> on a filet somehow.....eludes metaphorical
comparison at the moment....I just don't know.....

monroe(time to call in the pithy aphorism hit squad)