Kent H.

Default The Ultimate Grilled Steak

I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

cl wrote:

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> > If you want to cook a steak "char-rare", where you have prominent charcoal
> > marks throughout, with a rare 110F interior, you have to cook with the lid
> > up. There isn't a gas grill that will do this.

> Sure are some.

cl

"Kent H." wrote:

> I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
> there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
> doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

IR gas will without flinching.

You can also with a really powerful GG and heavy cast iron grates but
you still preheat lid down. Mine measured around 990 at the grate after
a short preheat. The 60KBTU over 440sqinch was more than enough to do
what you wish but that is a bit more energy than most are pumping out.
Likewise you could just toss a CI skillets on the grill an it would work
just fine.

-CAL
cl

"Kent H." wrote:

> I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
> there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
> doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

IR gas will without flinching.

You can also with a really powerful GG and heavy cast iron grates but
you still preheat lid down. Mine measured around 990 at the grate after
a short preheat. The 60KBTU over 440sqinch was more than enough to do
what you wish but that is a bit more energy than most are pumping out.
Likewise you could just toss a CI skillets on the grill an it would work
just fine.

-CAL
cl

"Kent H." wrote:

> I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
> there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
> doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

IR gas will without flinching.

You can also with a really powerful GG and heavy cast iron grates but
you still preheat lid down. Mine measured around 990 at the grate after
a short preheat. The 60KBTU over 440sqinch was more than enough to do
what you wish but that is a bit more energy than most are pumping out.
Likewise you could just toss a CI skillets on the grill an it would work
just fine.

-CAL
ToLo

Victor B. Putz said on 7/29/2004 6:35 AM:
> On 2004-07-29, Paul > wrote:
>
>>One thing I did for the first time a couple of weeks back was make a an herb
>>butter to dollop on the steak afterwards. It sounded kooky to me at first -
>>putting butter on a cooked steak, but I ate out at some nice steak houses
>>and they all did it and it was AWESOME. I tried it and it was WONDERFUL.

> There was a restaurant (in Grand Forks, ND of all places) which served
> a "steak buerre" which was a steak with herbed butter, and I will
> concur--that was *fantastic*. Probably well worth the effort.
>
> -->VPutz

Was that at Sanders? Great food.

ToLo

Victor B. Putz said on 7/29/2004 6:35 AM:
> On 2004-07-29, Paul > wrote:
>
>>One thing I did for the first time a couple of weeks back was make a an herb
>>butter to dollop on the steak afterwards. It sounded kooky to me at first -
>>putting butter on a cooked steak, but I ate out at some nice steak houses
>>and they all did it and it was AWESOME. I tried it and it was WONDERFUL.

> There was a restaurant (in Grand Forks, ND of all places) which served
> a "steak buerre" which was a steak with herbed butter, and I will
> concur--that was *fantastic*. Probably well worth the effort.
>
> -->VPutz

Was that at Sanders? Great food.
Victor B. Putz

> Was that at Sanders? Great food.

Heh... another GF gourmet. Actually I never had that at Sanders
(although that place was fantastic)--this was at "La Brasa", a sort of
little "mediterranean bistro" sort of place. I think it was owned by
the same folks as the Golden Boot steakhouse, and they closed it while
we were there--pity, nice little place, but not as much traffic as the
Boot.

The Sanders folks opened another restaurant while we were there,
"Lolo's", I think... and there were a couple interesting places that
opened after the big flood; sorta fun because you could eat with your
eyes about the same level as the high-water mark flood line still on
the walls.

For such a tiny little town, there were some surprisingly good places
for food there...

-->VPutz

Victor B. Putz

> Was that at Sanders? Great food.

Heh... another GF gourmet. Actually I never had that at Sanders
(although that place was fantastic)--this was at "La Brasa", a sort of
little "mediterranean bistro" sort of place. I think it was owned by
the same folks as the Golden Boot steakhouse, and they closed it while
we were there--pity, nice little place, but not as much traffic as the
Boot.

The Sanders folks opened another restaurant while we were there,
"Lolo's", I think... and there were a couple interesting places that
opened after the big flood; sorta fun because you could eat with your
eyes about the same level as the high-water mark flood line still on
the walls.

For such a tiny little town, there were some surprisingly good places
for food there...

-->VPutz

Kent H.

What's the hottest IR Gas?
It would be helpful to know.
Kent

cl wrote:

> "Kent H." wrote:
> >
> > I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
> > there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
> > doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

> IR gas will without flinching.
>
> You can also with a really powerful GG and heavy cast iron grates but
> you still preheat lid down. Mine measured around 990 at the grate after
> a short preheat. The 60KBTU over 440sqinch was more than enough to do
> what you wish but that is a bit more energy than most are pumping out.
> Likewise you could just toss a CI skillets on the grill an it would work
> just fine.
>
> -CAL

Kent H.

What's the hottest IR Gas?
It would be helpful to know.
Kent

cl wrote:

> "Kent H." wrote:
> >
> > I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
> > there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
> > doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.

> IR gas will without flinching.
>
> You can also with a really powerful GG and heavy cast iron grates but
> you still preheat lid down. Mine measured around 990 at the grate after
> a short preheat. The 60KBTU over 440sqinch was more than enough to do
> what you wish but that is a bit more energy than most are pumping out.
> Likewise you could just toss a CI skillets on the grill an it would work
> just fine.
>
> -CAL

cl

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> What's the hottest IR Gas?
> It would be helpful to know.
> Kent

Around 1600 but remember it is radiant heat, not convection. There lies the
reason it works the way it does. Charcoal happens to work under the same
premise.

The hot hot conventional gas grill can do it but it takes about 120-130BTU
per square inch to do so whereas the IR and charcoal can make due with
around 12-15KBTUs due to the ir radiation.

-CAL

cl

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> What's the hottest IR Gas?
> It would be helpful to know.
> Kent

Around 1600 but remember it is radiant heat, not convection. There lies the
reason it works the way it does. Charcoal happens to work under the same
premise.

The hot hot conventional gas grill can do it but it takes about 120-130BTU
per square inch to do so whereas the IR and charcoal can make due with
around 12-15KBTUs due to the ir radiation.

-CAL

cl

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> What's the hottest IR Gas?
> It would be helpful to know.
> Kent

Around 1600 but remember it is radiant heat, not convection. There lies the
reason it works the way it does. Charcoal happens to work under the same
premise.

The hot hot conventional gas grill can do it but it takes about 120-130BTU
per square inch to do so whereas the IR and charcoal can make due with
around 12-15KBTUs due to the ir radiation.

-CAL

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:48:41 GMT, "Kent H." >
wrote:

>I have looked at practically everything on the market; I don't thinkk
>there is. The possible exception may be an infrared gas grill, though I
>doubt it. The Silver Genesis B does not, nor does any Weber gas.
>
>cl wrote:
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> > If you want to cook a steak "char-rare", where you have prominent charcoal
>> > marks throughout, with a rare 110F interior, you have to cook with the lid
>> > up. There isn't a gas grill that will do this.

>> Sure are some.

Define "looked at," Kent. Then I'll know how much credence to attach
to your absolute statements about gas grills.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
BKahuna

Inevitably, someone will always want his or her steak overcooked. So,
I always buy a few el-cheapo sirloins down at Albertson's to serve
them. Albertson's, at least the ones I've seen in Florida, sell USDA
select, a very lean and pretty un-flavorful grade of beef.

Most of these folks just smother the damn think with steak sauce
anyway so I don't feel an emotional investment.

The connoisseurs on the other hand get nice, rare to medium rare
porterhouse, seasoned with salt, fresh cracked pepper and a rub of
garlic. Served with a pat of butter, it's one of life's simple
pleasures.

BKahuna

Default Help: The Ultimate Grilled Steak

I heard on the grapevine that there was a new high end meat place in
Orlando that opened withing the last couple of months. They have USDA
prime, as well as exotic meats. I think it's over on John Young.

Any ideas? Maybe I'll email Scott Joseph.

BOB

BKahuna wrote:
> I heard on the grapevine that there was a new high end meat place in
> Orlando that opened withing the last couple of months. They have USDA
> prime, as well as exotic meats. I think it's over on John Young.
>
> Any ideas? Maybe I'll email Scott Joseph.

I didn't notice anything like that week before last when I drove from the south
end of JYP to the other end. BUT, maybe I wasn't looking.

There is a " Fresh Market" located at 995 N. State Road in Altamonte Springs,
and another at 5000 Dr. Phillips Blvd. http://www.thefreshmarket.com/ and for
meats http://www.thefreshmarket.com/our_foods/meats.html
I've not made it to either yet, but I've had great reports,

BOB

Steve Calvin

BKahuna wrote:

> Inevitably, someone will always want his or her steak overcooked. So,
> I always buy a few el-cheapo sirloins down at Albertson's to serve
> them. Albertson's, at least the ones I've seen in Florida, sell USDA
> select, a very lean and pretty un-flavorful grade of beef.
>
> Most of these folks just smother the damn think with steak sauce
> anyway so I don't feel an emotional investment.
>
> The connoisseurs on the other hand get nice, rare to medium rare
> porterhouse, seasoned with salt, fresh cracked pepper and a rub of
> garlic. Served with a pat of butter, it's one of life's simple
> pleasures.

I take the opposite approach. If I invite someone to the house and I'm
having filet mignon and then want it well done... then that's how I
cook it. I look at it like I invited them for their company. If they
like it over done - so be it. Do I "cringe" when someone asks for it
that way? Absolutely! But, I'm not eating it, they are and if I didn't
like them then I wouldn't have asked them to my home in the first
place so they should get what they like. JMO.

--
Steve

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

Jack Curry

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message news:VyTOc.59624> >
snipped stuff-

> I take the opposite approach. If I invite someone to the house and I'm
> having filet mignon and then want it well done... then that's how I
> cook it. I look at it like I invited them for their company. If they
> like it over done - so be it. Do I "cringe" when someone asks for it
> that way? Absolutely! But, I'm not eating it, they are and if I didn't
> like them then I wouldn't have asked them to my home in the first
> place so they should get what they like. JMO.

Noddin' atcha, Steve. I invite people I like for what they are, not because
of the way they like their meat cooked.

Jack Curry
-Oh hell, people I like are often asses anyhow-

Steve Calvin

BKahuna wrote:

> I think I saw an ad for the place when it opened up. It was in the
> Friday calander section of the Sentinel. I think I'll write the
> foodies over there and see what's what.

What place? A small quote would have been helpfull.

--
Steve

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

Jesse Skeens

> I didn't notice anything like that week before last when I drove from the south
> end of JYP to the other end. BUT, maybe I wasn't looking.
>
> There is a " Fresh Market" located at 995 N. State Road in Altamonte Springs,
> and another at 5000 Dr. Phillips Blvd. http://www.thefreshmarket.com/ and for
> meats http://www.thefreshmarket.com/our_foods/meats.html
> I've not made it to either yet, but I've had great reports,
>
> BOB

Have to check this one out. Although they do advertise lean pork and
only show baby backs not spares. Tried Mom's Meats and Pops Produce
today. Picked up some spares for $1.93. Got about 4-5 leg quarters
for about $2.50. Haven't cooked the ribs yet so not sure if they are
going to taste better than my usual publix ones.

Jesse
Jesse Skeens

> I didn't notice anything like that week before last when I drove from the south
> end of JYP to the other end. BUT, maybe I wasn't looking.
>
> There is a " Fresh Market" located at 995 N. State Road in Altamonte Springs,
> and another at 5000 Dr. Phillips Blvd. http://www.thefreshmarket.com/ and for
> meats http://www.thefreshmarket.com/our_foods/meats.html
> I've not made it to either yet, but I've had great reports,
>
> BOB

Have to check this one out. Although they do advertise lean pork and
only show baby backs not spares. Tried Mom's Meats and Pops Produce
today. Picked up some spares for $1.93. Got about 4-5 leg quarters
for about $2.50. Haven't cooked the ribs yet so not sure if they are
going to taste better than my usual publix ones.

Jesse
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:34:57 -0400, BKahuna >
wrote:

>Inevitably, someone will always want his or her steak overcooked. So,
>I always buy a few el-cheapo sirloins down at Albertson's to serve
>them. Albertson's, at least the ones I've seen in Florida, sell USDA
>select, a very lean and pretty un-flavorful grade of beef.
>
>Most of these folks just smother the damn think with steak sauce
>anyway so I don't feel an emotional investment.
>
>The connoisseurs on the other hand get nice, rare to medium rare
>porterhouse, seasoned with salt, fresh cracked pepper and a rub of
>garlic. Served with a pat of butter, it's one of life's simple
>pleasures.

I don't understand this attitude any more today than when it first
surfaced on AFB. If I know people well enough to cook for them, they
are either friends or colleagues, and I want them to enjoy my cooking.

Serving some people sub-par meat, while serving the "connoisseurs"
better stuff strikes me as petty and mean-spirited. It also seems
illogical; a bit like serving someone a Fred Meyer lemon-lime soda
because he doesn't appreciate the finer nuances of name-brand Sierra
Mist, or insisting that everyone order pizza with anchovies because
you like anchovies on pizza.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>Inevitably, someone will always want his or her steak overcooked. So,
>I always buy a few el-cheapo sirloins down at Albertson's to serve
>them. Albertson's, at least the ones I've seen in Florida, sell USDA
>select, a very lean and pretty un-flavorful grade of beef.
>
>Most of these folks just smother the damn think with steak sauce
>anyway so I don't feel an emotional investment.
>
>The connoisseurs on the other hand get nice, rare to medium rare
>porterhouse, seasoned with salt, fresh cracked pepper and a rub of
>garlic. Served with a pat of butter, it's one of life's simple
>pleasures.

I don't understand this attitude any more today than when it first
surfaced on AFB. If I know people well enough to cook for them, they
are either friends or colleagues, and I want them to enjoy my cooking.

Serving some people sub-par meat, while serving the "connoisseurs"
better stuff strikes me as petty and mean-spirited. It also seems
illogical; a bit like serving someone a Fred Meyer lemon-lime soda
because he doesn't appreciate the finer nuances of name-brand Sierra
Mist, or insisting that everyone order pizza with anchovies because
you like anchovies on pizza.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:41:48 -0500, Fast N Bulbous
> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:49:04 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
>
>>I take the opposite approach. If I invite someone to the house and I'm
>> having filet mignon and then want it well done... then that's how I
>>cook it.

>You gotta kinda ween them of of it. LOL! Just take it a stage or two
>lower.
>
>You cannot take a person that wants it burnt and serve them a rare
>steak and expect them to like it. I'll say OK and cook it medium or
>medium/rare anyway. (whatever I think I can get away with) Never had a
>complaint yet. Have even converted a few the the more rare preference.
>
>"Oh darn, I must've not left it on long enough." HAHA.

If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard, would
you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you like eggs?

>...but they always like it better when cooked properly.
>The faces and reactions when they taste tell the story every time.
>You know a smile and a nod. Maybe a little roll of the eyes added in!

People eating your food can be very polite. I might eat the over-easy
eggs you served me, and might tell you they were excellent, while all
the while wishing they had been cooked the way I requested them.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:41:48 -0500, Fast N Bulbous
> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:49:04 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
>
>>I take the opposite approach. If I invite someone to the house and I'm
>> having filet mignon and then want it well done... then that's how I
>>cook it.

>You gotta kinda ween them of of it. LOL! Just take it a stage or two
>lower.
>
>You cannot take a person that wants it burnt and serve them a rare
>steak and expect them to like it. I'll say OK and cook it medium or
>medium/rare anyway. (whatever I think I can get away with) Never had a
>complaint yet. Have even converted a few the the more rare preference.
>
>"Oh darn, I must've not left it on long enough." HAHA.

If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard, would
you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you like eggs?

>...but they always like it better when cooked properly.
>The faces and reactions when they taste tell the story every time.
>You know a smile and a nod. Maybe a little roll of the eyes added in!

People eating your food can be very polite. I might eat the over-easy
eggs you served me, and might tell you they were excellent, while all
the while wishing they had been cooked the way I requested them.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> >You cannot take a person that wants it burnt and serve them a rare
> >steak and expect them to like it. I'll say OK and cook it medium or
> >medium/rare anyway. (whatever I think I can get away with) Never had a
> >complaint yet. Have even converted a few the the more rare preference.
> >
> >"Oh darn, I must've not left it on long enough." HAHA.

> If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard, would
> you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you like eggs?
> Kevin S. Wilson

Call it arrogance if you want, but it can be educational also. Depends on
how it is done.

I eat beef rare. Why? Because my wife showed me it is the better way. Took
a few years for me to learn that as we always had well done stuff at home.

In the case of the steak, you can alway cook it more but you cannot uncook
it. I know people that insist or eating nearly burnt meat. I usually ask
them why so I know what is going on. Most say that they wee brought up that
way and the apperance of blood turns them off. Now you have the basis for
an intelligent conversation about the reddish liquid they see in beef.
Education is a wonderful tool.

Explain how the meat has different textures at different temperatures, How
pot roast ififers from prime rib. Get them to try a forkfull of meat that
is a little pink. You won't get a well done kind of person to eat rare in
one day, but you can usually get them to take a test of a little pink. Some
will be converted, others never wil be but you can have a little culinary
fun with your guests. They burn the hell out if it if that is what they
want.

I have done rib roasts for guest. If they don't like it on the rare side, I
merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and everyone is
happy.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> >You cannot take a person that wants it burnt and serve them a rare
> >steak and expect them to like it. I'll say OK and cook it medium or
> >medium/rare anyway. (whatever I think I can get away with) Never had a
> >complaint yet. Have even converted a few the the more rare preference.
> >
> >"Oh darn, I must've not left it on long enough." HAHA.

> If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard, would
> you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you like eggs?
> Kevin S. Wilson

Call it arrogance if you want, but it can be educational also. Depends on
how it is done.

I eat beef rare. Why? Because my wife showed me it is the better way. Took
a few years for me to learn that as we always had well done stuff at home.

In the case of the steak, you can alway cook it more but you cannot uncook
it. I know people that insist or eating nearly burnt meat. I usually ask
them why so I know what is going on. Most say that they wee brought up that
way and the apperance of blood turns them off. Now you have the basis for
an intelligent conversation about the reddish liquid they see in beef.
Education is a wonderful tool.

Explain how the meat has different textures at different temperatures, How
pot roast ififers from prime rib. Get them to try a forkfull of meat that
is a little pink. You won't get a well done kind of person to eat rare in
one day, but you can usually get them to take a test of a little pink. Some
will be converted, others never wil be but you can have a little culinary
fun with your guests. They burn the hell out if it if that is what they
want.

I have done rib roasts for guest. If they don't like it on the rare side, I
merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and everyone is
happy.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jack Curry

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > >You cannot take a person that wants it burnt and serve them a rare
> > >steak and expect them to like it. I'll say OK and cook it medium or
> > >medium/rare anyway. (whatever I think I can get away with) Never had a
> > >complaint yet. Have even converted a few the the more rare preference.
> > >
> > >"Oh darn, I must've not left it on long enough." HAHA.

> > If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard, would
> > you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you like eggs?
> > Kevin S. Wilson

> Call it arrogance if you want, but it can be educational also. Depends on
> how it is done.
>
> I eat beef rare. Why? Because my wife showed me it is the better way.

Took
> a few years for me to learn that as we always had well done stuff at home.
>
> In the case of the steak, you can alway cook it more but you cannot

uncook
> it. I know people that insist or eating nearly burnt meat. I usually ask
> them why so I know what is going on. Most say that they wee brought up

that
> way and the apperance of blood turns them off. Now you have the basis for
> an intelligent conversation about the reddish liquid they see in beef.
> Education is a wonderful tool.
>
> Explain how the meat has different textures at different temperatures,

How
> pot roast ififers from prime rib. Get them to try a forkfull of meat

that
> is a little pink. You won't get a well done kind of person to eat rare

in
> one day, but you can usually get them to take a test of a little pink.

Some
> will be converted, others never wil be but you can have a little culinary
> fun with your guests. They burn the hell out if it if that is what they
> want.
>
> I have done rib roasts for guest. If they don't like it on the rare side,

> merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and everyone is
> happy.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ed,

While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
grilling.

Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat texture,
when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to the tedious, don't
you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun, not for a quasi-religious
meat crusader conversion course.

Somebody wants their meat incinerated, it's because they like it that way
and while it might hurt me just a little to inflict a good piece of meat to
that awful treatment, so what? I get mine the way I want it, my guests
should get theirs the way they want it too.

Jack (Sprat could eat no fat) Curry

Jack Curry

> [...]

> merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and everyone is
> happy.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ed,

While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
grilling.

Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat texture,
when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to the tedious, don't
you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun, not for a quasi-religious
meat crusader conversion course.

Somebody wants their meat incinerated, it's because they like it that way
and while it might hurt me just a little to inflict a good piece of meat to
that awful treatment, so what? I get mine the way I want it, my guests
should get theirs the way they want it too.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
> grilling.
>
> Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat

texture,
> when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to the tedious,

don't
> you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun, not for a quasi-religious
> meat crusader conversion course.

Depends on the guest and the event. With some would be hopeless to bring it
up, others enjoy good food and are willing to try something new and to
learn.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
> grilling.
>
> Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat

texture,
> when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to the tedious,

don't
> you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun, not for a quasi-religious
> meat crusader conversion course.

Depends on the guest and the event. With some would be hopeless to bring it
up, others enjoy good food and are willing to try something new and to
learn.
Ed

Steve Calvin

Jack Curry wrote:
<snip>
> Ed,
>
> While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
> grilling.
>
> Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat texture,
> when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to the tedious, don't
> you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun, not for a quasi-religious
> meat crusader conversion course.
>
> Somebody wants their meat incinerated, it's because they like it that way
> and while it might hurt me just a little to inflict a good piece of meat to
> that awful treatment, so what? I get mine the way I want it, my guests
> should get theirs the way they want it too.
>
> Jack (Sprat could eat no fat) Curry

I'm with you Jack. Everyone has different tastes in everything from
car, women, houses, where they wanna live, etc, etc, etc. I like what
I like and if they like it that way by god that's how I'll give it to
'em.

--
Steve

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> I'm with you Jack. Everyone has different tastes in everything from
> car, women, houses, where they wanna live, etc, etc, etc. I like what
> I like and if they like it that way by god that's how I'll give it to
> 'em.

Right. Everyone has different tastes in cars. I've had many a pickup owner,
Escort owner, mini-van owner as friends, but they have one thing in common.
None ever turned down a chance to drive my 3000GT. Not a one. Why should
steak be different?

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm with you Jack. Everyone has different tastes in everything from
>>car, women, houses, where they wanna live, etc, etc, etc. I like what
>>I like and if they like it that way by god that's how I'll give it to
>>'em.

> Right. Everyone has different tastes in cars. I've had many a pickup owner,
> Escort owner, mini-van owner as friends, but they have one thing in common.
> None ever turned down a chance to drive my 3000GT. Not a one. Why should
> steak be different?

Dunno, but ain't no one else driving my Vette! ;-)

--
Steve

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some folks just don't have any film.

frohe

Jack Curry wrote:
> Guests come for food, booze and fun...
> I get mine the way I want
> it, my guests should get theirs the way they want it too.

'Xactly! It's the fellowship over some good food. Ok, so they don't
like their steak the way I do. I want them to leave sayin "that frohe
knows how to lay down some good food. I hope he invites us back real
soon."
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

TFM®

Jack Curry wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard,
>>> would you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you
>>> like eggs? Kevin S. Wilson

>> Call it arrogance if you want, but it can be educational also.
>> Depends on how it is done.
>>
>> I eat beef rare. Why? Because my wife showed me it is the better
>> way. Took a few years for me to learn that as we always had well
>> done stuff at home.
>>
>> In the case of the steak, you can alway cook it more but you cannot
>> uncook it. I know people that insist or eating nearly burnt meat.
>> I usually ask them why so I know what is going on. Most say that
>> they wee brought up that way and the apperance of blood turns them
>> off. Now you have the basis for an intelligent conversation about
>> the reddish liquid they see in beef. Education is a wonderful tool.
>>
>> Explain how the meat has different textures at different
>> temperatures, How pot roast ififers from prime rib. Get them to
>> try a forkfull of meat that is a little pink. You won't get a well
>> done kind of person to eat rare in one day, but you can usually get
>> them to take a test of a little pink. Some will be converted, others
>> never wil be but you can have a little culinary fun with your
>> guests. They burn the hell out if it if that is what they want.
>>
>> I have done rib roasts for guest. If they don't like it on the rare
>> side, I merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and
>> everyone is happy.
>> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

> Ed,
>
> While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
> grilling.
>
> Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat
> texture, when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to
> the tedious, don't you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun,
> not for a quasi-religious meat crusader conversion course.
>
> Somebody wants their meat incinerated, it's because they like it that
> way and while it might hurt me just a little to inflict a good piece
> of meat to that awful treatment, so what? I get mine the way I want
> it, my guests should get theirs the way they want it too.
>
> Jack (Sprat could eat no fat) Curry

Well said, Mr. Jack.

I'll take mine rare when I'm at your place.

TFM®

TFM®

Jack Curry wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> If you were cooking me breakfast and I asked for eggs over hard,
>>> would you serve them to me over easy because that's the way you
>>> like eggs? Kevin S. Wilson

>> Call it arrogance if you want, but it can be educational also.
>> Depends on how it is done.
>>
>> I eat beef rare. Why? Because my wife showed me it is the better
>> way. Took a few years for me to learn that as we always had well
>> done stuff at home.
>>
>> In the case of the steak, you can alway cook it more but you cannot
>> uncook it. I know people that insist or eating nearly burnt meat.
>> I usually ask them why so I know what is going on. Most say that
>> they wee brought up that way and the apperance of blood turns them
>> off. Now you have the basis for an intelligent conversation about
>> the reddish liquid they see in beef. Education is a wonderful tool.
>>
>> Explain how the meat has different textures at different
>> temperatures, How pot roast ififers from prime rib. Get them to
>> try a forkfull of meat that is a little pink. You won't get a well
>> done kind of person to eat rare in one day, but you can usually get
>> them to take a test of a little pink. Some will be converted, others
>> never wil be but you can have a little culinary fun with your
>> guests. They burn the hell out if it if that is what they want.
>>
>> I have done rib roasts for guest. If they don't like it on the rare
>> side, I merely toss their slice on the grill for a few minutes and
>> everyone is happy.
>> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

> Ed,
>
> While I usually agree with you, all that sounds a little like guest
> grilling.
>
> Even in "charming mode," explanations about reddish liquid and meat
> texture, when directed at a "well done only" meat eater can run to
> the tedious, don't you think? Guests come for food, booze and fun,
> not for a quasi-religious meat crusader conversion course.
>
> Somebody wants their meat incinerated, it's because they like it that
> way and while it might hurt me just a little to inflict a good piece
> of meat to that awful treatment, so what? I get mine the way I want
> it, my guests should get theirs the way they want it too.
>
> Jack (Sprat could eat no fat) Curry

Well said, Mr. Jack.

I'll take mine rare when I'm at your place.

TFM®

BOB

frohe wrote:
> Jack Curry wrote:
>> Guests come for food, booze and fun...
>> I get mine the way I want
>> it, my guests should get theirs the way they want it too.

> 'Xactly! It's the fellowship over some good food. Ok, so they don't
> like their steak the way I do. I want them to leave sayin "that frohe
> knows how to lay down some good food. I hope he invites us back real
> soon."
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

This thread is 'zactly why I don't cook steaks for friends, unless I know they
don't want them ruined. I'll grill, BBQ, and/or smoke just about anything else
for a group of friends, but I won't make steak-leather. I get better reactions
from ribs, brisket or pulled pork without the, err, *confusion* of when meat is
done.

BOB

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 139 12-06-2016 01:36 PM
ultimate-plus grilled ham & swiss cheese sandwich Sky General Cooking 1 21-09-2010 02:39 AM
What's a Grilled Steak?? Kent[_2_] Barbecue 121 11-07-2010 06:24 PM
Grilled Steak and Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:44 PM
Red Wine-Rosemary Grilled Flank Steak With Grilled Vegetables 7 Hawks Recipes 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM