Dan Overes

Default Bread making

K. Reece wrote:

> Oh gawd don't send him there!! They're the most anal bunch of people about
> making bread there is. As far as they're concerned you have to have
> precision scales to make bread, nevermind that people have been making bread
> with the barest hint of a recipe for several thousand years now.

Someone from this group calling another group anal? Now, that's funny!
You want to see anal, just watch some poor sod show up and say
something about how he can barbecue some great hamburgers on his propane
barbecue and watch the wolves come out! :-)
Dan Overes

K. Reece wrote:

> Oh gawd don't send him there!! They're the most anal bunch of people about
> making bread there is. As far as they're concerned you have to have
> precision scales to make bread, nevermind that people have been making bread
> with the barest hint of a recipe for several thousand years now.

Someone from this group calling another group anal? Now, that's funny!
You want to see anal, just watch some poor sod show up and say
something about how he can barbecue some great hamburgers on his propane
barbecue and watch the wolves come out! :-)
Matthew L. Martin

K. Reece wrote:

> <cackle> They discuss hydration levels of bread dough into minutia!!! For
> someone that's made bread by hand with minimal measurements it's enough to
> drive you over the edge!!! They weigh the flour fer crying out loud!! I
> just couldn't take it anymore.
>
> The discussions on this group are a whole different ball of wax and don't
> even begin to qualify as anal.

While I don't have the skill, my mother has been making _+GREAT+_ bread,
without a recipe, for over 60 years. Arthritis is just beginning to slow
her down. However, she has never been successful doing sourdough and she
is jealous of what I can do with a bread machine and my sourdough starter.

Matthew (beating Mom at cooking makes a guy feel proud!)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win

Matthew L. Martin

K. Reece wrote:

> <cackle> They discuss hydration levels of bread dough into minutia!!! For
> someone that's made bread by hand with minimal measurements it's enough to
> drive you over the edge!!! They weigh the flour fer crying out loud!! I
> just couldn't take it anymore.
>
> The discussions on this group are a whole different ball of wax and don't
> even begin to qualify as anal.

While I don't have the skill, my mother has been making _+GREAT+_ bread,
without a recipe, for over 60 years. Arthritis is just beginning to slow
her down. However, she has never been successful doing sourdough and she
is jealous of what I can do with a bread machine and my sourdough starter.

Matthew (beating Mom at cooking makes a guy feel proud!)

--
Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

K. Reece

"Dan Overes" > wrote in message
> K. Reece wrote:
>
> > Oh gawd don't send him there!! They're the most anal bunch of people

about
> > making bread there is. As far as they're concerned you have to have
> > precision scales to make bread, nevermind that people have been making

bread
> > with the barest hint of a recipe for several thousand years now.

> Someone from this group calling another group anal? Now, that's funny!
> You want to see anal, just watch some poor sod show up and say
> something about how he can barbecue some great hamburgers on his propane
> barbecue and watch the wolves come out! :-)

<cackle> They discuss hydration levels of bread dough into minutia!!! For
someone that's made bread by hand with minimal measurements it's enough to
drive you over the edge!!! They weigh the flour fer crying out loud!! I
just couldn't take it anymore.

The discussions on this group are a whole different ball of wax and don't
even begin to qualify as anal.

Kathy

Louis Cohen

I don't know how you cook in one of those, but there is great artisan bread
making info at www.theartisan.net.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"drm090163" > wrote in message
> Please help me I have a chiminea, maybe a long shot but I thought
> someone here might know how and a recipe.
>
> pleas help Dave

Guppy21014

I bake breade quite often only roughly with any recipe. In summer I bake it
off in an adobe mud oven I built last summer and in the winter I use my hooded
gas grill unless I want the warmth and aroma in the house. In the adobe I
build the big fire, let it burn down to coals, rake the coals out, put the
bread, pizza, whatever in and plug the door area. I would guess you could lo
the same thing only close off the chimminey when you block the door. If you
did not get all the coals out I would think that as long as the bread was not
sitting directly on the colas you would be OK. Heck give it a try. Internal
temp of bread at about 190 F is perfect. Finish off in oven or gas grill if
itdoesn't get quite done. Hope this was helpful
Duwop

Bill wrote:
> Between Boston Butt, butt steak, and buttinskis I guess this group
> could qualify for certain level of analness from time to time.

Nah, that's tripe. We just appreciate a nice piece of ass is all.

Duwop

Bill wrote:
> Between Boston Butt, butt steak, and buttinskis I guess this group
> could qualify for certain level of analness from time to time.

Nah, that's tripe. We just appreciate a nice piece of ass is all.

Tyler Hopper

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> > I thought a.b.r. would have much to say on the chiminea part. ];^)

> They might, but I'm sure they'll insist it can't be done without precisely
> weighing the chiminea and each and every piece of fuel and you'll probably
> have to have exact latitude and longitude coordinates and know the precise
> temperature and humidity levels for every foot of height of the chiminea.
> <cackle>
>
> Kathy

You're right Kathy. I though the people on rec.food.cooking were anal. They're
amateurs!

Tyler

Tyler Hopper

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> > I thought a.b.r. would have much to say on the chiminea part. ];^)

> They might, but I'm sure they'll insist it can't be done without precisely
> weighing the chiminea and each and every piece of fuel and you'll probably
> have to have exact latitude and longitude coordinates and know the precise
> temperature and humidity levels for every foot of height of the chiminea.
> <cackle>
>
> Kathy

You're right Kathy. I though the people on rec.food.cooking were anal. They're
amateurs!

Tyler

K. Reece

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "K. Reece" > wrote in message
> >

> > > I thought a.b.r. would have much to say on the chiminea part. ];^)

> > They might, but I'm sure they'll insist it can't be done without

precisely
> > weighing the chiminea and each and every piece of fuel and you'll

probably
> > have to have exact latitude and longitude coordinates and know the

precise
> > temperature and humidity levels for every foot of height of the

chiminea.
> > <cackle>
> >
> > Kathy

> You're right Kathy. I though the people on rec.food.cooking were anal.

They're
> amateurs!
>

> Tyler

I had to quit reading the bread group. I made 6 loaves of bread a week by
hand for several years. I measured the water, honey and yeast. The rest I
just dumped in until it was bread. I made a variety of breads too. I put
stuff like raw sunflower seeds and wheat sprouts in my bread. I also made
potato bread and oatmeal bread on a regular basis. I always just dumped
some in the bowl till I figgered it was enough!

Honestly bread isn't hard to make at all and not nearly the precise science
those people make it out to be.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> While I don't have the skill, my mother has been making _+GREAT+_ bread,
> without a recipe, for over 60 years. Arthritis is just beginning to slow
> her down. However, she has never been successful doing sourdough and she
> is jealous of what I can do with a bread machine and my sourdough starter.
>
> Matthew (beating Mom at cooking makes a guy feel proud!)

It doesn't take all that much skill to make bread, mostly it takes a little
practice just like good Q takes practice. (ha! back on topic)

I never made sourdough. I did make raw sunflower seed, wheat sprout,
cracked wheat, potato and oatmeal breads though. No, I don't have a recipe
for those. You just start with the regular bread and add whatever until
it's enough.

Kathy (I'll bet your mom is very proud of you)

bread making at the NYT WRK Sourdough 30 25-11-2006 06:10 AM
bread making at the NYT Dick Adams Sourdough 11 19-11-2006 04:14 PM
bread making at the NYT Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 09-11-2006 08:55 PM
bread making at the NYT Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 09-11-2006 08:03 PM
Bread Making Frogleg General Cooking 5 26-07-2004 08:40 PM