jdoe

Default Shopping for gas grill . . .HELP!!!

Probably as fine a choice as you could make. I have an old Genesis and
accomplish many wonderful culinary feats on it. Smoking included with
wonderful results. Very even and terrific control.
Larry
"Paul Romesburg" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> Would like your comments regarding what gas grills might be a fit for what
> I'm looking for.
>
> I currently have a two burner, inexpensive Kenmore gas grill. Probably
> didn't cost more than $200 some ten years ago when I got it. Biggest

gripes
> about it are that heating is VERY uneven, such that only 25% of the main
> cooking area is really useful, and that I just can't get it hot enough to
> really get a good sear/charring on steaks when I put them on. I gill

often,
> and usually am cooking steaks, but I do a fair amount of bratwursts,
> hamburgers, and also cook some ribs, rib roasts, etc. Cooking style

ranges
> from low temp smoking style (220 degrees with wood chips in smoker box),

> as hot as I can get it for searing.
>
> What I really want is a gas grill with good temperature control and a wide
> operating range. I want to be able to smoke something with chips, at low
> temperature for 8 hours if I want, or get it raging hot for searing or

other
> high temperature operations. I'm allowing no more than $1500 in my budget
> for my dream machine.
>
> With all this said, the Weber Summit Silver C gas grill seems to have the
> general combination of features that I'm looking for. I especially like

the
> idea of the separate smoker box with it's own burner. Anyone have any
> experience with how this grill performs? Any recommendations for a
> different grill?
>
> Any guidance you can provide for me will be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> Kamado with the gas option. But to use a regular gas grill for low temp
> barbecue is like trying to use mallet to fasten screws.

Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without having
to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

-CAL

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> Kamado with the gas option. But to use a regular gas grill for low temp
> barbecue is like trying to use mallet to fasten screws.

Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without having
to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

-CAL

Paul Romesburg

all,

Thanks for the observations so far.

Regarding smoking on the grill, I do have a Weber Smoky Mountain already and
that's what I use for real BBQ. However there are times when I'm in more of
a rush and want to use the gas grill. I understand that you just don't get
the same result from the gas grill as in the smoker, but smoking on my gas
grill has worked reasonably well for me in the past.

I appreciate the comments about the smoker box on the Silver Summit C. I
kinda thought it would burn up the chips too fast. Do you think it would
work getting a Summit Silver B and putting a smoker box full of chips just
above the burners or on the main grilling area itself? Also, how does the
Weber Summit Silver do with high temperatures?

Also, given that I already have a Smoky Mountain, would you all still
recommend the Kamado?

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul

"MD" <mdavid I HATE SPAM @mn.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> > Paul Romesburg wrote:
> >
> > > What I really want is a gas grill with good temperature control and a
> > > wide operating range. I want to be able to smoke something with
> > > chips, at low temperature for 8 hours if I want, or get it raging hot
> > > for searing or other high temperature operations. I'm allowing no
> > > more than $1500 in my budget for my dream machine.

> > Kamado with the gas option. But to use a regular gas grill for low temp
> > barbecue is like trying to use mallet to fasten screws.
> >

> Dave's right, gas grill is not a substitute for a smoker. I've got a

Weber
> Summit Silver C and a Kamado 5. The Weber is an awesome grill that can
> quickly grill a lot of food. The smoker box and burner is kind of a joke.
> It's off to the side and I find it tough to get wood chunks or chips to

keep
> smoking without burning up to quick or not burning at all. I would highly
> recommend the grill but get the A or B version and skip the smoker option.
> With the difference you could purchase a Weber Smoker Mountain smoker, or
> take Dave's advice and get a Kamodo with the gas option.

Paul Romesburg

all,

Thanks for the observations so far.

Regarding smoking on the grill, I do have a Weber Smoky Mountain already and
that's what I use for real BBQ. However there are times when I'm in more of
a rush and want to use the gas grill. I understand that you just don't get
the same result from the gas grill as in the smoker, but smoking on my gas
grill has worked reasonably well for me in the past.

I appreciate the comments about the smoker box on the Silver Summit C. I
kinda thought it would burn up the chips too fast. Do you think it would
work getting a Summit Silver B and putting a smoker box full of chips just
above the burners or on the main grilling area itself? Also, how does the
Weber Summit Silver do with high temperatures?

Also, given that I already have a Smoky Mountain, would you all still
recommend the Kamado?

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul

"MD" <mdavid I HATE SPAM @mn.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> > Paul Romesburg wrote:
> >
> > > What I really want is a gas grill with good temperature control and a
> > > wide operating range. I want to be able to smoke something with
> > > chips, at low temperature for 8 hours if I want, or get it raging hot
> > > for searing or other high temperature operations. I'm allowing no
> > > more than $1500 in my budget for my dream machine.

> > Kamado with the gas option. But to use a regular gas grill for low temp
> > barbecue is like trying to use mallet to fasten screws.
> >

> Dave's right, gas grill is not a substitute for a smoker. I've got a

Weber
> Summit Silver C and a Kamado 5. The Weber is an awesome grill that can
> quickly grill a lot of food. The smoker box and burner is kind of a joke.
> It's off to the side and I find it tough to get wood chunks or chips to

keep
> smoking without burning up to quick or not burning at all. I would highly
> recommend the grill but get the A or B version and skip the smoker option.
> With the difference you could purchase a Weber Smoker Mountain smoker, or
> take Dave's advice and get a Kamodo with the gas option.

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without
> having to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

And I have no problem using a hammer to fasten screws, but the right tool is
better for the job at hand. Otherwise, we could just use an oven and add a
box of wood chips. Any half-way decent oven hood would remove the small bit
of smoke.

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without
> having to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

And I have no problem using a hammer to fasten screws, but the right tool is
better for the job at hand. Otherwise, we could just use an oven and add a
box of wood chips. Any half-way decent oven hood would remove the small bit
of smoke.

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
>
> > Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without
> > having to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

> And I have no problem using a hammer to fasten screws, but the right tool

is
> better for the job at hand. Otherwise, we could just use an oven and add

> box of wood chips. Any half-way decent oven hood would remove the small

bit
> of smoke.

I just turn the burner on and throw hickory chuncks on the charcoal pan that
replaces the radiant/flavorizor bars. No hack and unlike your hammer/screw
example, it accomplishes the job as well as a propane burner in the
firebox.

The scene has changed. Just because your Weber gg wasn't as good at bbq
doesn't mean the current crops isn't. Hybrid grills are starting to popup
everywhere and anyone with a little ingenuity can replace the radients on
their GG with a charcoal pan if they wished.

Dave, you alway omit the fact that there are units that can provide the
temperature regulation and smoke . The cheaper units can't but when you get
into units that have accessory charcoal pans, large smoker tray ect then
the generalization of gas grills being poor for low and slow becomes wrong.

Charbroil, Kenmore,Altima,Texas Pit Crafter and many others have wood/gas
hybrids. There are numerous others that have effective smoker drawers that
work. Sure these units can be pricey but so is a K with Gas option.

-CAL

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
>
> > Dave, I have no problem keeping my JennAir at a stable 175+ without
> > having to do anything like proping the lid, ect.

> And I have no problem using a hammer to fasten screws, but the right tool

is
> better for the job at hand. Otherwise, we could just use an oven and add

> box of wood chips. Any half-way decent oven hood would remove the small

bit
> of smoke.

I just turn the burner on and throw hickory chuncks on the charcoal pan that
replaces the radiant/flavorizor bars. No hack and unlike your hammer/screw
example, it accomplishes the job as well as a propane burner in the
firebox.

The scene has changed. Just because your Weber gg wasn't as good at bbq
doesn't mean the current crops isn't. Hybrid grills are starting to popup
everywhere and anyone with a little ingenuity can replace the radients on
their GG with a charcoal pan if they wished.

Dave, you alway omit the fact that there are units that can provide the
temperature regulation and smoke . The cheaper units can't but when you get
into units that have accessory charcoal pans, large smoker tray ect then
the generalization of gas grills being poor for low and slow becomes wrong.

Charbroil, Kenmore,Altima,Texas Pit Crafter and many others have wood/gas
hybrids. There are numerous others that have effective smoker drawers that
work. Sure these units can be pricey but so is a K with Gas option.

-CAL

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> I just turn the burner on and throw hickory chuncks on the charcoal
> pan that replaces the radiant/flavorizor bars. No hack and unlike
> your hammer/screw example, it accomplishes the job as well as a
> propane burner in the firebox.

Why bother? Just throw it all in the oven. Smae difference. Hammers and
screws.

> The scene has changed. Just because your Weber gg wasn't as good at
> bbq doesn't mean the current crops isn't.

Woa there. I never said my Genesis -- which is the same basic unit as the OP
was taking about -- wasn't good at barbecue. I talked about how it was more
difficult to maintain temperature. The fact is, that my WSM and K7 and even
my ECB produced much better 'Q. The Genesis produced good, just not great.
Same as an oven.

> Dave, you alway omit the fact...

No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
appropriate. If you want to give those options in YOUR response to the OP,
feel free to do so. What I choose, or do not choose to add is my own
business. I don't need an editor, so I suggest that you work on your own
posts. BTW, NONE of the options you mention can sear as hot as a Kamado. the
OP wanted a unit that could do everything well for the budget mentioned.

> Charbroil, Kenmore,Altima,Texas Pit Crafter and many others have
> wood/gas hybrids. There are numerous others that have effective
> smoker drawers that work. Sure these units can be pricey but so is a
> K with Gas option.

And none of your hybrids are as good at doing everything from preservative
smoking to barbecue to high heat searing as the Kamado. If you think
otherwise, then originate such thinking in your own thread or replies.
Again, add whatever you want to in your own posts, but quit trying to use my
posts as a jumping off point to expand on what you want to say. I continue
to find you and your advice offensive, and I am trying very hard to live and
let live. But that won't happen unless we agree to leave each other, and the
posts, alone.

Dave

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> I just turn the burner on and throw hickory chuncks on the charcoal
> pan that replaces the radiant/flavorizor bars. No hack and unlike
> your hammer/screw example, it accomplishes the job as well as a
> propane burner in the firebox.

Why bother? Just throw it all in the oven. Smae difference. Hammers and
screws.

> The scene has changed. Just because your Weber gg wasn't as good at
> bbq doesn't mean the current crops isn't.

Woa there. I never said my Genesis -- which is the same basic unit as the OP
was taking about -- wasn't good at barbecue. I talked about how it was more
difficult to maintain temperature. The fact is, that my WSM and K7 and even
my ECB produced much better 'Q. The Genesis produced good, just not great.
Same as an oven.

> Dave, you alway omit the fact...

No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
appropriate. If you want to give those options in YOUR response to the OP,
feel free to do so. What I choose, or do not choose to add is my own
business. I don't need an editor, so I suggest that you work on your own
posts. BTW, NONE of the options you mention can sear as hot as a Kamado. the
OP wanted a unit that could do everything well for the budget mentioned.

> Charbroil, Kenmore,Altima,Texas Pit Crafter and many others have
> wood/gas hybrids. There are numerous others that have effective
> smoker drawers that work. Sure these units can be pricey but so is a
> K with Gas option.

And none of your hybrids are as good at doing everything from preservative
smoking to barbecue to high heat searing as the Kamado. If you think
otherwise, then originate such thinking in your own thread or replies.
Again, add whatever you want to in your own posts, but quit trying to use my
posts as a jumping off point to expand on what you want to say. I continue
to find you and your advice offensive, and I am trying very hard to live and
let live. But that won't happen unless we agree to leave each other, and the
posts, alone.

Dave

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:

> No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
> appropriate.

I think someone need an attitude adjustment mister! If someone doesnt like
who you are, it is YOUR responsibility to change, not the other person to
either ignore you or hold their feelings at bay. Duuuh!
We must conform to HIS wishes, didnt you know the world revolves around him?

I even heard that they are changing the GMT longitude to be wherever CAL is
at any time. If that's not enough proof, there is scientific evidence of a
reality distortion field and gravity well that's been located near his
cranium.
Errata:
A stadium full of 5 year olds has less of the self centering matter
"Calonic" (Scientific American, volume 125) found in his immediate vicinity.
Studies show you must treat the matter "calonic" as hazardous waste and keep
a safe distance away.

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:

> No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
> appropriate.

I think someone need an attitude adjustment mister! If someone doesnt like
who you are, it is YOUR responsibility to change, not the other person to
either ignore you or hold their feelings at bay. Duuuh!
We must conform to HIS wishes, didnt you know the world revolves around him?

I even heard that they are changing the GMT longitude to be wherever CAL is
at any time. If that's not enough proof, there is scientific evidence of a
reality distortion field and gravity well that's been located near his
cranium.
Errata:
A stadium full of 5 year olds has less of the self centering matter
"Calonic" (Scientific American, volume 125) found in his immediate vicinity.
Studies show you must treat the matter "calonic" as hazardous waste and keep
a safe distance away.

Tyler Hopper

"Paul Romesburg" > wrote in message
> all,
>
> Thanks for the observations so far.
>
> Regarding smoking on the grill, I do have a Weber Smoky Mountain already and
> that's what I use for real BBQ. However there are times when I'm in more of
> a rush and want to use the gas grill. I understand that you just don't get
> the same result from the gas grill as in the smoker, but smoking on my gas
> grill has worked reasonably well for me in the past.
>
> I appreciate the comments about the smoker box on the Silver Summit C. I
> kinda thought it would burn up the chips too fast. Do you think it would
> work getting a Summit Silver B and putting a smoker box full of chips just
> above the burners or on the main grilling area itself? Also, how does the
> Weber Summit Silver do with high temperatures?
>
> Also, given that I already have a Smoky Mountain, would you all still
> recommend the Kamado?
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Paul

I hate to sound like a broken record but if you really want a gas grill go scout
up a copy of the 06/04 Consumers Reports where there is a review. There are
quite a few good bargains at a far lower price than $1500.

That said, I agree with Dave. But a K with the gas option. The old gas burner
set up really sucked and I took mine out. It is my understanding from others
here that the new rig is far superior.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"Paul Romesburg" > wrote in message
> all,
>
> Thanks for the observations so far.
>
> Regarding smoking on the grill, I do have a Weber Smoky Mountain already and
> that's what I use for real BBQ. However there are times when I'm in more of
> a rush and want to use the gas grill. I understand that you just don't get
> the same result from the gas grill as in the smoker, but smoking on my gas
> grill has worked reasonably well for me in the past.
>
> I appreciate the comments about the smoker box on the Silver Summit C. I
> kinda thought it would burn up the chips too fast. Do you think it would
> work getting a Summit Silver B and putting a smoker box full of chips just
> above the burners or on the main grilling area itself? Also, how does the
> Weber Summit Silver do with high temperatures?
>
> Also, given that I already have a Smoky Mountain, would you all still
> recommend the Kamado?
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Paul

I hate to sound like a broken record but if you really want a gas grill go scout
up a copy of the 06/04 Consumers Reports where there is a review. There are
quite a few good bargains at a far lower price than $1500.

That said, I agree with Dave. But a K with the gas option. The old gas burner
set up really sucked and I took mine out. It is my understanding from others
here that the new rig is far superior.

_________
ht_redneck

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
> > I just turn the burner on and throw hickory chuncks on the charcoal
> > pan that replaces the radiant/flavorizor bars. No hack and unlike
> > your hammer/screw example, it accomplishes the job as well as a
> > propane burner in the firebox.

> Why bother? Just throw it all in the oven. Smae difference. Hammers and
> screws.
> The Genesis produced good, just not great.
> Same as an oven.

It is so different. Why don't you ask for a photo of the setup or be a
little more open minded. You are making a statement blindly that could just
as easily apply to the laqyz q method The resulting q is not a bit
different than I can get on my offset or kettle in indirect. Comeon now and
act as if you were from Missouri and ask me to show you. The fact I can keep
the lid down, smoke going and temperature rock stable should inspire a
little thought-----especially if the result is no different than traditional
methods... You might be surprised.

> > Dave, you alway omit the fact...

> No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
> appropriate. If you want to give those options in YOUR response to the OP,
> feel free to do so. What I choose, or do not choose to add is my own
> business. I don't need an editor, so I suggest that you work on your own
> posts.

You made a blanket statement that was plain wrong.

"But to use a regular gas grill for low temp
barbecue is like trying to use mallet to fasten screws"

That is an ignorant statement based on the naive belief that if your Genesis
can't do it nobody can.

> BTW, NONE of the options you mention can sear as hot as a Kamado

Sure they do. Hell I've gotten higher lid temps with my Jenn Air GG than
many have gotten with their ceramics. But...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=07 116226000
Kenmore 16226. Gas grill with charcoal tray 3 heights for $449 If you want 1
200plus use lump with the tray at the topmost level.

Now even a castiron pan on the gas burner can get hotter and sear much
faster than your K
Regardless, even RichardJ would tell you that temps over 750 are unnecesary.

> And none of your hybrids are as good at doing everything from preservative
> smoking to barbecue to high heat searing as the Kamado.

Have your tried these new units or once again are you assuming they operate
like your Genesis?
Look, some even have IR burners in addition to smoker drawers that dwarf the
lump saver's capacity. You are arguing about something using dated
knowledge. I'd presume you would have argued a smoke generator placed in an
firebox wouldn't work either until you tried it. Just realize the market is
changing and there are newer things out that you apparently aren't aware of.

> If you think
> otherwise, then originate such thinking in your own thread or replies.
> Again, add whatever you want to in your own posts, but quit trying to use

my
> posts as a jumping off point to expand on what you want to say.

You were wrong and rather than asking for proof you write off the whole bit.

> I continue
> to find you and your advice offensive, and I am trying very hard to live

and
> let live. But that won't happen unless we agree to leave each other, and

the
> posts, alone.

As long as you don't post incorrect info then push the K every chance you
can, I think we can get along. No seriously, you should't take my post
the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a dick but rather just presenting you a
bit of info that you should be aware of given the self proclaimed stature
you grant yourself by posting the mini faq/welcome.

Once you try these newer setups and then cite them as being no good, then
you will have presented your informed objective opinion. Until then your are
presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

-CAL

cl

> [...]

> I continue
> to find you and your advice offensive, and I am trying very hard to live

and
> let live. But that won't happen unless we agree to leave each other, and

the
> posts, alone.

As long as you don't post incorrect info then push the K every chance you
can, I think we can get along. No seriously, you should't take my post
the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a dick but rather just presenting you a
bit of info that you should be aware of given the self proclaimed stature
you grant yourself by posting the mini faq/welcome.

Once you try these newer setups and then cite them as being no good, then
you will have presented your informed objective opinion. Until then your are
presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> your are presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

Unless you have used everything you have cited, the assumptions are yours.
Don't presume to know what I have used, seen or have seen demonstrated.
Gee, just how many trade shows HAVE you been to? You are free to offer your
own advice and opinion without involving anyone else's posts. But that isn't
sufficient, because you came here a few weeks ago to create an argumentative
and contentious atmosphere, and you have continued that way ever since.

I offered a truce, and an apology, for getting my hackles up at you. I have
asked you more than once to leave me out of your posts. You claim that
because I choose to address this op with information of MY chosing, that the
information wasn't correct because it doesn't meet YOUR standard of
everything grill related.

Life is much too short to put up with the likes of you, Cal. I don't need
the aggravation of a self-appointed editor arguing about the correctness of
my information, and me having to spend time arguing with you, or gritting my
teeth trying to ignore you. I'll leave AFB to you, and spend any time I have
for posting on ABF. You get the last word because, at least for the next
few months, I'm unsubscribing so I won't even have the temptation to pop in.

For those who also post on ABF, I'll see ya there.

Oh, and Cal, please come to my grand opening. I'd really like to see you
face-to-face.

Graeme...in London

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
>

> Oh, and Cal, please come to my grand opening. I'd really like to see you
> face-to-face.

Hit him with the bill Dave, ****in' divot that he is.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> cl wrote:
>

> Oh, and Cal, please come to my grand opening. I'd really like to see you
> face-to-face.

Hit him with the bill Dave, ****in' divot that he is.

Graeme

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:
> cl wrote:
>
> with you, or gritting my teeth trying to ignore you. I'll leave AFB
> to you, and spend any time I have for posting on ABF. You get the
> last word because, at least for the next few months, I'm
> unsubscribing so I won't even have the temptation to pop in.
>
> For those who also post on ABF, I'll see ya there.
>
> Oh, and Cal, please come to my grand opening. I'd really like to see
> you face-to-face.

Dave, havent you heard of a killfile? You and Tyler were the last to no have
k/f'd him, you'll notice hardly anyone else responds to him directly, I only
see his posts when someone quotes him, now that Tyler's killed his sorry ass
wont be anyone left for him to argue with except the odd lurker.

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:
> cl wrote:
>
> with you, or gritting my teeth trying to ignore you. I'll leave AFB
> to you, and spend any time I have for posting on ABF. You get the
> last word because, at least for the next few months, I'm
> unsubscribing so I won't even have the temptation to pop in.
>
> For those who also post on ABF, I'll see ya there.
>
> Oh, and Cal, please come to my grand opening. I'd really like to see
> you face-to-face.

Dave, havent you heard of a killfile? You and Tyler were the last to no have
k/f'd him, you'll notice hardly anyone else responds to him directly, I only
see his posts when someone quotes him, now that Tyler's killed his sorry ass
wont be anyone left for him to argue with except the odd lurker.

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>> No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
>> appropriate.

> I think someone need an attitude adjustment mister! If someone doesnt like
> who you are, it is YOUR responsibility to change, not the other person to
> either ignore you or hold their feelings at bay. Duuuh!
> We must conform to HIS wishes, didnt you know the world revolves around him?
>
> I even heard that they are changing the GMT longitude to be wherever CAL is
> at any time. If that's not enough proof, there is scientific evidence of a
> reality distortion field and gravity well that's been located near his
> cranium.
> Errata:
> A stadium full of 5 year olds has less of the self centering matter
> "Calonic" (Scientific American, volume 125) found in his immediate vicinity.
> Studies show you must treat the matter "calonic" as hazardous waste and keep
> a safe distance away.

ROTFL MAO!
Great response, Dale. (Though you had me wondering with your first line...)

BOB

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>> No, I didn't omit anything. I answered the way that *I* felt was
>> appropriate.

> I think someone need an attitude adjustment mister! If someone doesnt like
> who you are, it is YOUR responsibility to change, not the other person to
> either ignore you or hold their feelings at bay. Duuuh!
> We must conform to HIS wishes, didnt you know the world revolves around him?
>
> I even heard that they are changing the GMT longitude to be wherever CAL is
> at any time. If that's not enough proof, there is scientific evidence of a
> reality distortion field and gravity well that's been located near his
> cranium.
> Errata:
> A stadium full of 5 year olds has less of the self centering matter
> "Calonic" (Scientific American, volume 125) found in his immediate vicinity.
> Studies show you must treat the matter "calonic" as hazardous waste and keep
> a safe distance away.

ROTFL MAO!
Great response, Dale. (Though you had me wondering with your first line...)

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

> I'm not trying to be a dick

Let me know when you do start trying. I'm having some difficutly
imagining how you'll improve on your performance so far.

>but rather just presenting you a
>bit of info that you should be aware of given the self proclaimed stature
>you grant yourself by posting the mini faq/welcome.

So Dave grants himself some kind of "self proclaimed stature" by
posting the mini-FAQ, eh? Cool. Watch for a repost from me. I hope it
annoys you as much as Dave's posting seems to annoy you.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

> I'm not trying to be a dick

Let me know when you do start trying. I'm having some difficutly
imagining how you'll improve on your performance so far.

>but rather just presenting you a
>bit of info that you should be aware of given the self proclaimed stature
>you grant yourself by posting the mini faq/welcome.

So Dave grants himself some kind of "self proclaimed stature" by
posting the mini-FAQ, eh? Cool. Watch for a repost from me. I hope it
annoys you as much as Dave's posting seems to annoy you.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>Once you try these newer setups and then cite them as being no good, then
>you will have presented your informed objective opinion. Until then your are
>presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

I forget: How many hours have you logged on a Kamado?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
John213a

A grill is a grill and usefull for grilling.
You can also add some smoke to your grilling with a smoke box. A smoker is a
smoker and how well it works depends on which one it is, and the expectations
of the owner. That said, the biggest problem with grills is the burner. The
stamped steel burners don't last and clog with rust, even many of the cast iron
burners rust and clog affecting the heat output and eveness of heat for the
grill. I have even had supossed stainless burners die after just two years.
There is hope, I have seen a number of grills coming out with cast brass
burners. I have not bought one yet, but my hope would be that it would hold up
and last as long as the stainless outside of the grill I saw it on. The burner
is the beginning of good even heat, then the design of the ceramic or metal
deflector plates is the next concern. Just remember, we are grilling here, it
has its place and purpose and a proper one will do the job well. A well built
one will do the job for many years.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Romesburg" > wrote in message

> With all this said, the Weber Summit Silver C gas grill seems to have the
> general combination of features that I'm looking for. I especially like

the
> idea of the separate smoker box with it's own burner. Anyone have any
> experience with how this grill performs? Any recommendations for a
> different grill?

Paul,
The Weber is a good grill and I'm sure you will be happy with it. There
are, however, other grills that are as good or better depending on your
needs. The problem is, they are not sold thought he big box stores so you
have to go looking for them. Check your propane dealer or some outdoor
living places.

My first choice was a Vermont Castings VC200, the original style. New
models are now available and they are higher quality than the ones at Home
Depot. Other very god choices are MHP www.modernhomeproducts.com Broil
Master, Broil King, and the Aussie made Beefeater, a fantastic grill for
steaks.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Romesburg" > wrote in message

> With all this said, the Weber Summit Silver C gas grill seems to have the
> general combination of features that I'm looking for. I especially like

the
> idea of the separate smoker box with it's own burner. Anyone have any
> experience with how this grill performs? Any recommendations for a
> different grill?

Paul,
The Weber is a good grill and I'm sure you will be happy with it. There
are, however, other grills that are as good or better depending on your
needs. The problem is, they are not sold thought he big box stores so you
have to go looking for them. Check your propane dealer or some outdoor
living places.

My first choice was a Vermont Castings VC200, the original style. New
models are now available and they are higher quality than the ones at Home
Depot. Other very god choices are MHP www.modernhomeproducts.com Broil
Master, Broil King, and the Aussie made Beefeater, a fantastic grill for
steaks.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>
> >Once you try these newer setups and then cite them as being no good,

then
> >you will have presented your informed objective opinion. Until then your

are
> >presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

> I forget: How many hours have you logged on a Kamado?

That would be a fitting question had I been discussing the Ks ability. Just
jook at the clip you left, nothing to do with a K
We were talking gas grills slick.

-CAL

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to be a dick

> Let me know when you do start trying. I'm having some difficutly
> imagining how you'll improve on your performance so far.

I'll catch up with that wussy ass of yours someday.

> >but rather just presenting you a
> >bit of info that you should be aware of given the self proclaimed stature
> >you grant yourself by posting the mini faq/welcome.

> So Dave grants himself some kind of "self proclaimed stature" by
> posting the mini-FAQ, eh? Cool. Watch for a repost from me. I hope it
> annoys you as much as Dave's posting seems to annoy you.

Tell me what exactly you had in this fight? Too bad you jokers can't attack
the content of the post rather than the poster. Regardless, I could care
less if you repost it if you can back up the words and present good
evidence. If Dave is so bold to make the statements that he has but answer
with the words "I'm Leaving" he apparently didn't have much confidence in
his rebuttal.

Since you popped your head out, why don't you give it a try. Have you tried
the newer hybrid gas grills such that you can say they aren't good for bbq?
That is what I called Dave on but he bailed like a school girl, so how about
it? You will probably wimp out too and attack me or ignore the post.

-CAL

Victor B. Putz

> go scout
> up a copy of the 06/04 Consumers Reports where there is a
> review. There are
> quite a few good bargains at a far lower price than $1500.

That's what I did, and wound up with a Genesis Silver B. It went
together in no time, is built quite sturdily, grills like a champ, and
only cost around $450-$500. Compared to other grills in even a nearby
price range, it's a fantastic deal.

It sits on my deck right next to my cheap New Braunfels Hondo offset
firebox wood smoker. I don't grill in the Hondo, and I don't smoke in
the Genesis (although I have the option of grilling in the Hondo
should I desire a small charcoal fire or am feeding a small army and
grilling in the cooking chamber). But then, I'm a Unix guy--small
sharp tools that do the job they were designed for, and do it well. I
wanted something that could smoke, so I got the Hondo, and I wanted
something that I could turn on and sear a steak with, so I got the
genesis.

Now, for the price of both of these combined, I probably could have
gotten a #9 textured Kamado (less the certainly exorbitant shipping
costs), but I like having the two separate items, and in any case
didn't even know about K's at the time. At some point I may screw
around with the Claymado idea (it just trips my "fun bizarre project"
trigger) and build something with a couple of giant earthen plant pots.

But IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Genesis Silver B if you're
wanting a good sturdy reliable great-tasting gas grill, at least if
you're the sort (like me) who doesn't believe that "great-tasting gas
grill" is an oxymoron. But if you didn't think that, you wouldn't be
in the market for one anyway.

-->VPutz
Steve Calvin

Victor B. Putz wrote:
>>go scout
>>up a copy of the 06/04 Consumers Reports where there is a
>>review. There are
>>quite a few good bargains at a far lower price than $1500.

> That's what I did, and wound up with a Genesis Silver B. It went
> together in no time, is built quite sturdily, grills like a champ, and
> only cost around $450-$500. Compared to other grills in even a nearby
> price range, it's a fantastic deal.
>
> It sits on my deck right next to my cheap New Braunfels Hondo offset
> firebox wood smoker. I don't grill in the Hondo, and I don't smoke in
> the Genesis (although I have the option of grilling in the Hondo
> should I desire a small charcoal fire or am feeding a small army and
> grilling in the cooking chamber). But then, I'm a Unix guy--small
> sharp tools that do the job they were designed for, and do it well. I
> wanted something that could smoke, so I got the Hondo, and I wanted
> something that I could turn on and sear a steak with, so I got the
> genesis.
>
> Now, for the price of both of these combined, I probably could have
> gotten a #9 textured Kamado (less the certainly exorbitant shipping
> costs), but I like having the two separate items, and in any case
> didn't even know about K's at the time. At some point I may screw
> around with the Claymado idea (it just trips my "fun bizarre project"
> trigger) and build something with a couple of giant earthen plant pots.
>
> But IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Genesis Silver B if you're
> wanting a good sturdy reliable great-tasting gas grill, at least if
> you're the sort (like me) who doesn't believe that "great-tasting gas
> grill" is an oxymoron. But if you didn't think that, you wouldn't be
> in the market for one anyway.
>
> -->VPutz

I have the Gen. Silver B as well and will concur with all of the points
made above. I can do ribs and such in it and they come out pretty good.
Granted, not as good as in a unit designed specifically for "low and
slow" but still pretty good all in all.

As for grilling and price, I think it'd be pretty tough to beat the
Weber. Plus their Customer Service is excellent if needed.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Victor B. Putz wrote:
>>go scout
>>up a copy of the 06/04 Consumers Reports where there is a
>>review. There are
>>quite a few good bargains at a far lower price than $1500.

> That's what I did, and wound up with a Genesis Silver B. It went
> together in no time, is built quite sturdily, grills like a champ, and
> only cost around $450-$500. Compared to other grills in even a nearby
> price range, it's a fantastic deal.
>
> It sits on my deck right next to my cheap New Braunfels Hondo offset
> firebox wood smoker. I don't grill in the Hondo, and I don't smoke in
> the Genesis (although I have the option of grilling in the Hondo
> should I desire a small charcoal fire or am feeding a small army and
> grilling in the cooking chamber). But then, I'm a Unix guy--small
> sharp tools that do the job they were designed for, and do it well. I
> wanted something that could smoke, so I got the Hondo, and I wanted
> something that I could turn on and sear a steak with, so I got the
> genesis.
>
> Now, for the price of both of these combined, I probably could have
> gotten a #9 textured Kamado (less the certainly exorbitant shipping
> costs), but I like having the two separate items, and in any case
> didn't even know about K's at the time. At some point I may screw
> around with the Claymado idea (it just trips my "fun bizarre project"
> trigger) and build something with a couple of giant earthen plant pots.
>
> But IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Genesis Silver B if you're
> wanting a good sturdy reliable great-tasting gas grill, at least if
> you're the sort (like me) who doesn't believe that "great-tasting gas
> grill" is an oxymoron. But if you didn't think that, you wouldn't be
> in the market for one anyway.
>
> -->VPutz

I have the Gen. Silver B as well and will concur with all of the points
made above. I can do ribs and such in it and they come out pretty good.
Granted, not as good as in a unit designed specifically for "low and
slow" but still pretty good all in all.

As for grilling and price, I think it'd be pretty tough to beat the
Weber. Plus their Customer Service is excellent if needed.

--
Steve

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:41:12 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:03:31 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>>
>> >Once you try these newer setups and then cite them as being no good,

>then
>> >you will have presented your informed objective opinion. Until then your

>are
>> >presenting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions.

>> I forget: How many hours have you logged on a Kamado?

>That would be a fitting question had I been discussing the Ks ability. Just
>jook at the clip you left, nothing to do with a K
>We were talking gas grills slick.

You've run your mouth for weeks about the poor quality and exorbitant
price of Ks. You'ver run your mouth about their inferiority to other
cookers. Though you've never even seen a Kamado up close and personal,
much less cooked on one, you demand that others "try these newer
setups" before voicing an opinion.

Pot, meet Kettle.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:
> >That would be a fitting question had I been discussing the Ks ability. Just
> >jook at the clip you left, nothing to do with a K
> >We were talking gas grills slick.
> >

> You've run your mouth for weeks about the poor quality and exorbitant
> price of Ks. You'ver run your mouth about their inferiority to other
> cookers.

Never said inferior at all, just that is a good product messed up by
poor quality and service. I even said I'd like to have one with a gas
option but I don't want to deal with the long wait and then get
disappointed by problems.

> Though you've never even seen a Kamado up close and personal,

Sure I have. Just haven't cooked on one personally but it was the
encounter that had me liking the concept.

> much less cooked on one, you demand that others "try these newer
> setups" before voicing an opinion.
> Pot, meet Kettle.

In light of what I wrote above,this statement holds no weight. I only
demanded that the 'FAQ MAN' alter his dicree that gas will not work
given the newer hybrids and techniques about. This isn't too much to
ask.

So see, it isn't the pot calling the kettle black after all. You might
do better asking me first what I think of Ks before you make the big ass
assumption that you did.

-CAL
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:30:45 GMT, cl > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:
>> >That would be a fitting question had I been discussing the Ks ability. Just
>> >jook at the clip you left, nothing to do with a K
>> >We were talking gas grills slick.
>> >

>> You've run your mouth for weeks about the poor quality and exorbitant
>> price of Ks. You'ver run your mouth about their inferiority to other
>> cookers.

>Never said inferior at all, just that is a good product messed up by
>poor quality and service.

Never say never, Cal. Google has a long memory.

But I see that you're backpedalling again, clinging to the lame excuse
that you never actually explicitly and in so many words said that
Kamados are inferior. It's kind of sad to watch you do that. Please
stop.

>So see, it isn't the pot calling the kettle black after all. You might
>do better asking me first what I think of Ks before you make the big ass
>assumption that you did.

I didn't have to make any assumptions. I can read and draw my own
conclusions. But don't take my word for it. Here's what you have had
to say about the quality, suitability, and effectiveness of Kamados:

On the longevity of Ks:

"I guess with the lack of performance requirements around here, maybe
I should have a mold made up and buy a few bags of quikcrete and soil.
I mean hell, all of them seem to crack anyhow."

On why you wouldn't recommend buying a K:

"Likewise I would not push a spotty product where you have horrific
customer service and it is well know in advance that you will have to
dicker with them at one time or another."

On the inferiority of Ks to other ceramic cookers:

"Tyler , so you did a full blast cook on your K the second time you
used it. No you didn't did you? Now can a GD, BGE or PRIMO?"

On the quality of a newly manufactured K, implying that it is
something other than an excellent product:

"They could do a bunch to have an excellent product. For instancey ou
shouldn't have to burn it in and have crap spewing from the tile
joints(they should pre burn it)."

In which you imply that a K is a "shitty product":

"That is just the effort of people to stoke their egos via ownership
pride inspite of the ignorant justifications they tend to make. I
guess they just don't realize that calling a producer of a shitty
product on quality problems will be the only way to rectify the
situation. Why else would the producer change if they feel the
consumer is ok with mediocrity?"

In which you declare a K no better than a $35 kettle:

"Justify your purchase of an overpriced clay pot all you want. Just
remember that a person with a kettle can do everything you can do for
$35 bucks. Sure you can cook longer without tending the fire but that
is just plain lazy on your part. If you want an oven, cook indoors (or
go to a bbq joint if your that lazy)."

In which you declare that a Kamado is contrary to the "spirit of bbq"
(whatever the hell that might be):

"Instead of pushing expensive equipment you should be helping people
make the best of what they have. That is more in line with the spirit
of bbqing. A Kamado on the otherhand, isn't."

Cal, don't **** on my shoes and tell me it's raining. And DO NOT try
to tell me what you have and haven't said on Usenet. Google ain't the
only thing around here with a good memory.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:29:53 -0500, Whahahaha
> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:58:19 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>>I will now (by myself) put my WSM in the trunk of the car and take it
>>>to my mother's house across town to cook a few slabs (9) of BB's.
>>>Should be smoking in about a 45 minutes. Hehe. Try THAT with a
>>>commode-O!
>>>

>>I do. Tell your mom I said "Hi."

>You take your K and put it in the trunk, by yourself, drive it across
>town, and are cooking on it 45 mins later? I think NOT! Unless it is
>one of those baby ones. If so, your not cooking ribs for 16+ folks.
>
>I'll tell her you said Hi. Thanks! I say Hi back atchya in advance for
>her. Gotta go now.

You didn't by any chance just hear a loud WHOOSH!! right above your
head, did you?