Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Creamy Goodness

Default Electric "Smokers"

Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker at
Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an electric
element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.

Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent, no
gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but no
biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something you
obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.

Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
many people have used one of these.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Dimitri

"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.

Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.

Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
many people have used one of these.

If this is the unit it's about $60.00 @ Home depot.

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/h2o_smokers.asp

Personally I like the results but then again I am just learning.

You can also check it out at the BBQ FAQ.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/5.html#5.1.7

Dimitri

Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Creamy Goodness

Dimitri wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.....Must have been on sale then as I know I saw it for $40. Maybe I'll
pick it up and give it a whirl.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Creamy Goodness

Bob in socal wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:09:11 -0600, "Creamy Goodness" creamy at
agbf1942 dot com wrote:

Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a
smoker at Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it
used an electric element as a burner, with water pan and all that.
You add hardwood to the bottom and the element heats the smoker and
wood.

Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked
decent, no gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to
be desired, but no biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off
consistent heat, something you obviously want, smokes the same as
other smokers do, etc.

Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to
see how many people have used one of these.

I started with a Brinkmann Electric Water smoker that I found
brand new at a swap meet for $20.00. It works fine, however,
there is no way to regulate temperature. It is very touchy to
ambient conditions such as wind and temperature. I did turn
out some very acceptable food and never anything I couldn't
eat.

Later I found the same smoker in LP gas version at a
Wally World sale, new in a box for $30.00 which is what I
currently am using. The gasser allows for temperature control
and I manage to turn out good food from it.

If you can find one reasonable, I would advise a gasser
over electric. As a matter of fact, I'd give you my electric
if you were local. 8^)

Knowing what I know now and if I were ready to by a new
smoker, I'd buy a Model A033141 Smoky Mountain.

http://store.yahoo.com/epod2000/36smokerbb.html

__

Bob in Socal.

Looks good there Bob. I do like the idea of gas over wood for the fuel
portion.

Thanks again!

Mike

Old 06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
L. Cook

[...]

I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes. I
thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see what
you are describing. I did see something like what you are describing on the
food channel, Good Eats w/ Anton. He put together a smoker using two large
terra cota pots, one upside down over the other. He put an electric hot
plate in the bottom, set a pan to catch drips, may have put the wood chips
there as well, had a rack farther up. On the top, which was the bottom of
the pot, he took a standard probe thermometer and just plopped it in the
hole. My point being that I can see how there might be an electric model
out there. As for the price? Hell, I dropped forty bucks on a George
Foreman Grill, so I would be the last to say anything about that!

But my opinion would be that you should get a regular, i.e. charcoal/wood,
bbq/smoker. I think you would be ultimately happier, and you will probably
end up wanting one after using the electric one for a while anyway.

By the way, I bought a Pitmaster bbq/smoker, with the offset firebox and
the dandy little chimney. Made by the Brinkman Corp., this puppy set me
back $180.00 including tax. That was at Lowes. Granted, definitely more
than forty bucks, but, heck, you'll drop that much on meat, eh??? ;-)

Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Reg

L. Cook wrote:

I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes. I
thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see what
you are describing.

Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
as common as weeds.

Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a subject
that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet exists to
help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
the subject have if that's the case?

There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
know what they are, much less have experience with them.

Stop that please.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 AM
BOB

Reg wrote:

There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
know what they are, much less have experience with them.

Stop that please.

(
)

that's the sound (in a text only environment!) of applause!

But, this is usenet, so I don't hold out much hope.

BOB

Old 07-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Mike Rinken

Reg wrote:
L. Cook wrote:

[...]

Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for about a
year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary studying, learning
which grill and smoker to buy. I am getting a WSM and a Weber Genesis at
the end of the year (once bonus land rolls around) and I'm looking for a
cheap smoker to get started on to try things out and to start perfecting my
Q. It's become my 2nd hobby, right after woodworking.

You guys have been (as usenet usually is) great, there's a TON of
information as usual on various subjects. I also subscribe to
rec.woodworking and have always found that one to be very informative. Hell
I researched Usenet for a year before buying one tool. But several dickhead
users start posting crap and start ruining it for everyone. It's
in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep it civil.

I do thank all for the opinions here and the wealth of information. Keep it
going! Ok, off to grill a nice 1 1/2 inch thick Sirloin. Nothing like a
perfectly grilled steak. And 12 yr old scotch of course.

Mike

Old 07-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Reg

Mike Rinken wrote:

Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

I don't understand your point. People shouldn't be espousing
opinions on equipment they know nothing about and have zero
experience with. Do you disagree? The "chill" thing doesn't make
it all that clear to me.

But several dickhead users start posting crap and start ruining it
for everyone. It's in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep
it civil.

Now you seem to agree with what I said, but then imply there was
something uncivil about it, which I find very strange. You're not
making a great deal of sense here either, bro.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Dave Bugg

Mike Rinken wrote:

Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

Oh, please! He's a jerk and he's getting his due. I kill-filed him a while
back when a polite request of mine was met with a stupid, snide reply. This
NG does so well because it doesn't suffer fools lightly. :-)

And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for
about a year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary
studying, learning which grill and smoker to buy....

What took you so long to show up

Hell I researched Usenet for a year before buying one
tool. But several dickhead users start posting crap and start
ruining it for everyone. It's in-evitable that it will happen, but
let's keep it civil.

Newbies -- including lurkers who suddenly decide to jump in -- are always
welcomed. But it really grates the wrong way when they presume to lecture
those who have been here quite a while.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:35 AM
Peter Newman

I've got an ECB and, while there is a learning curve, it's part of the fun.
Mine turns out great ribs and chicken. Temp control is a bit of an issue.
You'll want to invest in an electronic remote thermometer anyway. It does
a pretty decent job of staying between 220 and 250 with water in it. Once
the water evaporates it shoots up to 280 or so. I've used that to some
advantage. I smoke my pork ribs at 220 to 250 and once the water is gone
and it shoots up I give it another hour. That seems to put a nice finish on
the meat. Have a squirt bottle of water handy just in case your wood chunk
starts flaming. That will shoot the temp way up. Anyway, part of the fun
is playing around, no matter what smoker you get. Have fun!!!

Peter

Old 07-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Reg

Steve Wertz wrote:

ObFood: Smoked Brisket French Dips for dinner.

What did you use for jus? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sometimes I think Q is best with just plain old jus, made
from the meat itself or a good beef stock.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Banjo

FNG here.

About, gee, 12 years ago I got an ECB, the charcoal version. I think it
cost 24 dollars.

I have found it to be a most versatile cooking tool. You can use it as a
water smoker, or take out the water pan and you have a fairly indirect heat
(great for beef ribs!). That is also a most excellent way to cook chicken -
it doesn't burn the outside before the inside is cooked. If you want to do
a steak or some bugers, just set the coals on a higher level.

It is definitely my "go to" BBQ.

If you have something else, by all means try the electric. I have thought
about one myself. But only because I want to start slow-smoking my
home-made sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker at
Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an electric
element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.

Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent, no
gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but no
biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something you
obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.

Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
many people have used one of these.

Creamy, it sounds like an electric ECB (el cheapo Brinkman). If so, one of the
highly regarded stalwarts of this group (now passed) started on one of them.

If he were here he'd tell you there's nothing wrong with one once you learn it
and if it meets your needs. He claimed to have turned out some damn good Q on
it.

I'd say go for it. You can find quite a few posts in the archives of this group
regarding methods.

Good luck.

_________
ht_redneck (who started out on a $25 Mr. Meat smoker)

Electric smokers Pico Rico[_2_] Barbecue 18 31-03-2012 07:59 PM
electric smokers Stormmmee Barbecue 29 21-09-2009 02:23 AM
electric smokers [email protected][_2_] Barbecue 2 17-09-2009 08:57 PM
electric smokers Duwop[_2_] Barbecue 0 17-09-2009 02:46 PM
Electric Smokers? Tom Lange Barbecue 9 17-04-2006 07:48 PM