Creamy Goodness

Default Electric "Smokers"

Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker at
Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an electric
element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.

Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent, no
gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but no
biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something you
obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.

Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
many people have used one of these.

Dimitri

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

If this is the unit it's about $60.00 @ Home depot.

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/h2o_smokers.asp

Personally I like the results but then again I am just learning.

You can also check it out at the BBQ FAQ.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/5.html#5.1.7

Dimitri

Creamy Goodness

Dimitri wrote:
> "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
> news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
>> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a
>> smoker at Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it
>> used an electric element as a burner, with water pan and all that.
>> You add hardwood to the bottom and the element heats the smoker and
>> wood.
>>
>> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked
>> decent, no gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to
>> be desired, but no biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off
>> consistent heat, something you obviously want, smokes the same as
>> other smokers do, etc.
>>
>> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to
>> see how many people have used one of these.

> If this is the unit it's about $60.00 @ Home depot.
>
> http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/h2o_smokers.asp
>
> Personally I like the results but then again I am just learning.
>
> You can also check it out at the BBQ FAQ.
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/5.html#5.1.7
>
> Dimitri

Hmmm.....Must have been on sale then as I know I saw it for $40. Maybe I'll
pick it up and give it a whirl.

Creamy Goodness

Bob in socal wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:09:11 -0600, "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at
> agbf1942 dot com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a
>> smoker at Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it
>> used an electric element as a burner, with water pan and all that.
>> You add hardwood to the bottom and the element heats the smoker and
>> wood.
>>
>> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked
>> decent, no gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to
>> be desired, but no biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off
>> consistent heat, something you obviously want, smokes the same as
>> other smokers do, etc.
>>
>> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to
>> see how many people have used one of these.
>>

> I started with a Brinkmann Electric Water smoker that I found
> brand new at a swap meet for $20.00. It works fine, however,
> there is no way to regulate temperature. It is very touchy to
> ambient conditions such as wind and temperature. I did turn
> out some very acceptable food and never anything I couldn't
> eat.
>
> Later I found the same smoker in LP gas version at a
> Wally World sale, new in a box for $30.00 which is what I
> currently am using. The gasser allows for temperature control
> and I manage to turn out good food from it.
>
> If you can find one reasonable, I would advise a gasser
> over electric. As a matter of fact, I'd give you my electric
> if you were local. 8^)
>
> Knowing what I know now and if I were ready to by a new
> smoker, I'd buy a Model A033141 Smoky Mountain.
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/epod2000/36smokerbb.html
>
> __
>
> Bob in Socal.

Looks good there Bob. I do like the idea of gas over wood for the fuel
portion.

Thanks again!

Mike

L. Cook

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes. I
thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see what
you are describing. I did see something like what you are describing on the
food channel, Good Eats w/ Anton. He put together a smoker using two large
terra cota pots, one upside down over the other. He put an electric hot
plate in the bottom, set a pan to catch drips, may have put the wood chips
there as well, had a rack farther up. On the top, which was the bottom of
the pot, he took a standard probe thermometer and just plopped it in the
hole. My point being that I can see how there might be an electric model
out there. As for the price? Hell, I dropped forty bucks on a George
Foreman Grill, so I would be the last to say anything about that!

But my opinion would be that you should get a regular, i.e. charcoal/wood,
bbq/smoker. I think you would be ultimately happier, and you will probably
end up wanting one after using the electric one for a while anyway.

By the way, I bought a Pitmaster bbq/smoker, with the offset firebox and
the dandy little chimney. Made by the Brinkman Corp., this puppy set me
back $180.00 including tax. That was at Lowes. Granted, definitely more
than forty bucks, but, heck, you'll drop that much on meat, eh??? ;-)

Reg

L. Cook wrote:

> I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes. I
> thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
> ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
> almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see what
> you are describing.

Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
as common as weeds.

Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a subject
that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet exists to
help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
the subject have if that's the case?

There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
know what they are, much less have experience with them.

Stop that please.

BOB

Reg wrote:

> There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
> People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
> know what they are, much less have experience with them.
>
> Stop that please.

(
)

that's the sound (in a text only environment!) of applause!

But, this is usenet, so I don't hold out much hope.

BOB

Mike Rinken

Reg wrote:
> L. Cook wrote:
>
>> I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from
>> Lowes. I thought a little more of the store, like they were a
>> little more on the ball, but that may have been just me. However,
>> though both stores had almost identical products as far as grills,
>> smokers, etc., I didn't see what you are describing.

> Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
> ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
> as common as weeds.
>
> Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a
> subject that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet
> exists to
> help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
> the subject have if that's the case?
>
> There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this
> group. People expounding on different types of equipment when they
> don't even know what they are, much less have experience with them.
>
> Stop that please.

Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for about a
year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary studying, learning
which grill and smoker to buy. I am getting a WSM and a Weber Genesis at
the end of the year (once bonus land rolls around) and I'm looking for a
cheap smoker to get started on to try things out and to start perfecting my
Q. It's become my 2nd hobby, right after woodworking.

You guys have been (as usenet usually is) great, there's a TON of
information as usual on various subjects. I also subscribe to
rec.woodworking and have always found that one to be very informative. Hell
I researched Usenet for a year before buying one tool. But several dickhead
users start posting crap and start ruining it for everyone. It's
in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep it civil.

I do thank all for the opinions here and the wealth of information. Keep it
going! Ok, off to grill a nice 1 1/2 inch thick Sirloin. Nothing like a
perfectly grilled steak. And 12 yr old scotch of course.

Mike

Reg

Mike Rinken wrote:

> Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

I don't understand your point. People shouldn't be espousing
opinions on equipment they know nothing about and have zero
experience with. Do you disagree? The "chill" thing doesn't make
it all that clear to me.

> But several dickhead users start posting crap and start ruining it
> for everyone. It's in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep
> it civil.

Now you seem to agree with what I said, but then imply there was
something uncivil about it, which I find very strange. You're not
making a great deal of sense here either, bro.

Dave Bugg

Mike Rinken wrote:

> Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

Oh, please! He's a jerk and he's getting his due. I kill-filed him a while
back when a polite request of mine was met with a stupid, snide reply. This
NG does so well because it doesn't suffer fools lightly. :-)

> And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for
> about a year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary
> studying, learning which grill and smoker to buy....

What took you so long to show up

> Hell I researched Usenet for a year before buying one
> tool. But several dickhead users start posting crap and start
> ruining it for everyone. It's in-evitable that it will happen, but
> let's keep it civil.

Newbies -- including lurkers who suddenly decide to jump in -- are always
welcomed. But it really grates the wrong way when they presume to lecture
those who have been here quite a while.

Peter Newman

I've got an ECB and, while there is a learning curve, it's part of the fun.
Mine turns out great ribs and chicken. Temp control is a bit of an issue.
You'll want to invest in an electronic remote thermometer anyway. It does
a pretty decent job of staying between 220 and 250 with water in it. Once
the water evaporates it shoots up to 280 or so. I've used that to some
advantage. I smoke my pork ribs at 220 to 250 and once the water is gone
and it shoots up I give it another hour. That seems to put a nice finish on
the meat. Have a squirt bottle of water handy just in case your wood chunk
starts flaming. That will shoot the temp way up. Anyway, part of the fun
is playing around, no matter what smoker you get. Have fun!!!

Peter

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

Reg

Steve Wertz wrote:

> ObFood: Smoked Brisket French Dips for dinner.

What did you use for jus? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sometimes I think Q is best with just plain old jus, made
from the meat itself or a good beef stock.

Banjo

FNG here.

About, gee, 12 years ago I got an ECB, the charcoal version. I think it
cost 24 dollars.

I have found it to be a most versatile cooking tool. You can use it as a
water smoker, or take out the water pan and you have a fairly indirect heat
(great for beef ribs!). That is also a most excellent way to cook chicken -
it doesn't burn the outside before the inside is cooked. If you want to do
a steak or some bugers, just set the coals on a higher level.

It is definitely my "go to" BBQ.

If you have something else, by all means try the electric. I have thought
about one myself. But only because I want to start slow-smoking my
home-made sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

Banjo

FNG here.

About, gee, 12 years ago I got an ECB, the charcoal version. I think it
cost 24 dollars.

I have found it to be a most versatile cooking tool. You can use it as a
water smoker, or take out the water pan and you have a fairly indirect heat
(great for beef ribs!). That is also a most excellent way to cook chicken -
it doesn't burn the outside before the inside is cooked. If you want to do
a steak or some bugers, just set the coals on a higher level.

It is definitely my "go to" BBQ.

If you have something else, by all means try the electric. I have thought
about one myself. But only because I want to start slow-smoking my
home-made sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker

at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an

electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent,

no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but

no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something

you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

Tyler Hopper

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent, no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

Creamy, it sounds like an electric ECB (el cheapo Brinkman). If so, one of the
highly regarded stalwarts of this group (now passed) started on one of them.

If he were here he'd tell you there's nothing wrong with one once you learn it
and if it meets your needs. He claimed to have turned out some damn good Q on
it.

I'd say go for it. You can find quite a few posts in the archives of this group
regarding methods.

Good luck.

_________
ht_redneck (who started out on a $25 Mr. Meat smoker)

Tyler Hopper

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message
news:879a4$40eaf8d7$41a9ca42$29167@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Ok, first off no flames here, I'm only asking a question. I saw a smoker at
> Home Depot the other day, can't remember the brand, but it used an electric
> element as a burner, with water pan and all that. You add hardwood to the
> bottom and the element heats the smoker and wood.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was $40. The construction looked decent, no
> gaps where the lid met the sides, racks left a little to be desired, but no
> biggie for $40. Seems like it would give off consistent heat, something you
> obviously want, smokes the same as other smokers do, etc.
>
> Please no flames, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion and to see how
> many people have used one of these.

Creamy, it sounds like an electric ECB (el cheapo Brinkman). If so, one of the
highly regarded stalwarts of this group (now passed) started on one of them.

If he were here he'd tell you there's nothing wrong with one once you learn it
and if it meets your needs. He claimed to have turned out some damn good Q on
it.

I'd say go for it. You can find quite a few posts in the archives of this group
regarding methods.

Good luck.

_________
ht_redneck (who started out on a $25 Mr. Meat smoker)

Creamy Goodness

Thanks to all who replied. I will grab it this weekend and start on my long
journey of perfecting the Q.

I'll keep ya posted.

Creamy Goodness

Thanks to all who replied. I will grab it this weekend and start on my long
journey of perfecting the Q.

I'll keep ya posted.

Banjo

Sounds like I might want one if my current one ever dies. Although, except
for replacing the charcoal pan, it shows no signs of giving up!)

Or I might go for the WSM.

See ya!

-Banjo

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:01:02 -0500, "Banjo"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have found it to be a most versatile cooking tool. You can use it as a
> >water smoker, or take out the water pan and you have a fairly indirect

heat
> >(great for beef ribs!). That is also a most excellent way to cook

chicken -
> >it doesn't burn the outside before the inside is cooked. If you want to

do
> >a steak or some bugers, just set the coals on a higher level.

> I use the 'Gourmet' version that breaks down into a grill for
> close-coal grilling.
>
> -sw

Tyler Hopper

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:58:48 GMT, Bob in socal
> > wrote:
>
> >FWIW, I use Au Jus paste from Smart & Final. It's not all
> >bad since it's not packaged dry, you only use what you
> >need. Seems to last forever refrigerated and is also handy
> >for soup stock, fried rice, mashed potatoes etc. I use their
> >Ham base paste as well for soup stock along with Ham hocks.

> I use a bunch of different soup base pastes (usually Minor's) but
> I've never found a beef version that I like. I go through the
> chicken pretty quick, and always have mushroom and seafood
> varieties on hand too.
>
> -sw

Try "Better Than Bullion". They have an exceptional line of pastes. HEB doesn't
always carry it.

I use the chicken so much I bought a case from the company online. Large jars
and much cheaper than the store.

http://www.superiortouch.com/btb.htm

Tyler

Tyler Hopper

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:58:48 GMT, Bob in socal
> > wrote:
>
> >FWIW, I use Au Jus paste from Smart & Final. It's not all
> >bad since it's not packaged dry, you only use what you
> >need. Seems to last forever refrigerated and is also handy
> >for soup stock, fried rice, mashed potatoes etc. I use their
> >Ham base paste as well for soup stock along with Ham hocks.

> I use a bunch of different soup base pastes (usually Minor's) but
> I've never found a beef version that I like. I go through the
> chicken pretty quick, and always have mushroom and seafood
> varieties on hand too.
>
> -sw

Try "Better Than Bullion". They have an exceptional line of pastes. HEB doesn't
always carry it.

I use the chicken so much I bought a case from the company online. Large jars
and much cheaper than the store.

http://www.superiortouch.com/btb.htm

Tyler

M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, "Tyler Hopper" > wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:58:48 GMT, Bob in socal
> > > wrote:

<snip>

> Try "Better Than Bullion". They have an exceptional line of pastes. HEB
> doesn't
> always carry it.
>
> I use the chicken so much I bought a case from the company online. Large
> jars
> and much cheaper than the store.
>
> http://www.superiortouch.com/btb.htm
>

> Tyler

Thanks for that link Tyler. Bouillion can be very expensive depending
on where and how you buy it. I make a lot of my own stock, but it takes up
so much storage space, I'm losing incentive to make it.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
L. Cook

"Reg" > wrote in message
.. .
> L. Cook wrote:
>
> > I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes.

> > thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
> > ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
> > almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see

what
> > you are describing.

> Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
> ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
> as common as weeds.
>
> Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a subject
> that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet exists to
> help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
> the subject have if that's the case?
>
> There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
> People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
> know what they are, much less have experience with them.
>
> Stop that please.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

It's called conversation, dude. But feel free to not read my posts. You
won't hurt my feelings.

L. Cook

"Reg" > wrote in message
.. .
> L. Cook wrote:
>
> > I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from Lowes.

> > thought a little more of the store, like they were a little more on the
> > ball, but that may have been just me. However, though both stores had
> > almost identical products as far as grills, smokers, etc., I didn't see

what
> > you are describing.

> Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
> ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
> as common as weeds.
>
> Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a subject
> that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet exists to
> help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
> the subject have if that's the case?
>
> There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this group.
> People expounding on different types of equipment when they don't even
> know what they are, much less have experience with them.
>
> Stop that please.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

It's called conversation, dude. But feel free to not read my posts. You
won't hurt my feelings.

L. Cook

"Mike Rinken" > wrote in message
> Reg wrote:
> > L. Cook wrote:
> >
> >> I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from
> >> Lowes. I thought a little more of the store, like they were a
> >> little more on the ball, but that may have been just me. However,
> >> though both stores had almost identical products as far as grills,
> >> smokers, etc., I didn't see what you are describing.

> > Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
> > ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
> > as common as weeds.
> >
> > Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a
> > subject that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet
> > exists to
> > help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
> > the subject have if that's the case?
> >
> > There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this
> > group. People expounding on different types of equipment when they
> > don't even know what they are, much less have experience with them.
> >
> > Stop that please.

> Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.
>
> And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for about a
> year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary studying, learning
> which grill and smoker to buy. I am getting a WSM and a Weber Genesis at
> the end of the year (once bonus land rolls around) and I'm looking for a
> cheap smoker to get started on to try things out and to start perfecting

my
> Q. It's become my 2nd hobby, right after woodworking.
>
> You guys have been (as usenet usually is) great, there's a TON of
> information as usual on various subjects. I also subscribe to
> rec.woodworking and have always found that one to be very informative.

Hell
> I researched Usenet for a year before buying one tool. But several

dickhead
> users start posting crap and start ruining it for everyone. It's
> in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep it civil.
>
> I do thank all for the opinions here and the wealth of information. Keep

it
> going! Ok, off to grill a nice 1 1/2 inch thick Sirloin. Nothing like a
> perfectly grilled steak. And 12 yr old scotch of course.
>
> Mike

Yes. Nothing less than 12 years old. I favor single malt myself,
Glenfiddich or McCallan.

L. Cook

"Mike Rinken" > wrote in message
> Reg wrote:
> > L. Cook wrote:
> >
> >> I shopped Home Depot and Lowes and bought my BBQ/smoker from
> >> Lowes. I thought a little more of the store, like they were a
> >> little more on the ball, but that may have been just me. However,
> >> though both stores had almost identical products as far as grills,
> >> smokers, etc., I didn't see what you are describing.

> > Uh, yeah. What he was describing is a basic electric bullet smoker
> > ala meco, char-broil, brinkman and about 10 other companies. They're
> > as common as weeds.
> >
> > Here's the thing. If you lack a basic, rudimentary knowledge of a
> > subject that's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and usenet
> > exists to
> > help people aquire information. But what value does your opinion on
> > the subject have if that's the case?
> >
> > There seems to be an influx of this kind of thing lately in this
> > group. People expounding on different types of equipment when they
> > don't even know what they are, much less have experience with them.
> >
> > Stop that please.

> Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.
>
> And just as long as we're on the topic, I've been lurking here for about a
> year now, picking up tid bits, doing some rudimentary studying, learning
> which grill and smoker to buy. I am getting a WSM and a Weber Genesis at
> the end of the year (once bonus land rolls around) and I'm looking for a
> cheap smoker to get started on to try things out and to start perfecting

my
> Q. It's become my 2nd hobby, right after woodworking.
>
> You guys have been (as usenet usually is) great, there's a TON of
> information as usual on various subjects. I also subscribe to
> rec.woodworking and have always found that one to be very informative.

Hell
> I researched Usenet for a year before buying one tool. But several

dickhead
> users start posting crap and start ruining it for everyone. It's
> in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep it civil.
>
> I do thank all for the opinions here and the wealth of information. Keep

it
> going! Ok, off to grill a nice 1 1/2 inch thick Sirloin. Nothing like a
> perfectly grilled steak. And 12 yr old scotch of course.
>
> Mike

Yes. Nothing less than 12 years old. I favor single malt myself,
Glenfiddich or McCallan.

L. Cook

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Mike Rinken wrote:
>
> > Ok chill. I agree he was a bit off the track, but give him a break.

> I don't understand your point. People shouldn't be espousing
> opinions on equipment they know nothing about and have zero
> experience with. Do you disagree? The "chill" thing doesn't make
> it all that clear to me.
>
> > But several dickhead users start posting crap and start ruining it
> > for everyone. It's in-evitable that it will happen, but let's keep
> > it civil.

> Now you seem to agree with what I said, but then imply there was
> something uncivil about it, which I find very strange. You're not
> making a great deal of sense here either, bro.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

You're the flamer here, so knock it off. So what if you didn't like my
post--I didn't write it for you nor do I need your approval. Do the terms
freedom of speech and no censorship mean anything to you? As for off topic,
what the hell is off topic about me describing a homemade kettle style
bbq/smoker that I saw on the food channel, which has a web site that someone
probably could go to and, oh, hell, I don't know, build one themselves?

Idiot, the whole idea was that it worked by electricity, and that made it
more on topic than your childish rants. Now stay civil or ignore my posts.
I can't be any more polite than that.

Reg

L. Cook wrote:

> It's called conversation, dude. But feel free to not read my posts. You
> won't hurt my feelings.

It wasn't just meant for you. It was meant for you, and assholes
like you.

Reg

L. Cook wrote:

> It's called conversation, dude. But feel free to not read my posts. You
> won't hurt my feelings.

It wasn't just meant for you. It was meant for you, and assholes
like you.

Default User

Reg wrote:

> It wasn't just meant for you. It was meant for you, and assholes
> like you.

Oh, I think *plonk* will do about now.

Brian Rodenborn

L. Cook

"Reg" > wrote in message
> L. Cook wrote:
>
> > It's called conversation, dude. But feel free to not read my posts.

You
> > won't hurt my feelings.

> It wasn't just meant for you. It was meant for you, and assholes
> like you.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

You're not an easy guy to get to know, are you, Reg?

Electric smokers Pico Rico[_2_] Barbecue 18 31-03-2012 07:59 PM
electric smokers Stormmmee Barbecue 29 21-09-2009 02:23 AM
electric smokers [email protected][_2_] Barbecue 2 17-09-2009 08:57 PM
electric smokers Duwop[_2_] Barbecue 0 17-09-2009 02:46 PM
Electric Smokers? Tom Lange Barbecue 9 17-04-2006 07:48 PM