Ric

Default Myrtle Beach Q

I'm going to be going down to Myrtle Beach all of next week. Would like any
barbecue places that anyone would recommend. I'll be down in Litchfield but
would drive anywhere from Georgetown to North Myrtle. Looked on the net a
little, I think Armadillo's and Sticky Fingers is what I found. Thanks in
advance.

Ric in Rock Hill

Netguy

In article >, go_herd86
@NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
> I'm going to be going down to Myrtle Beach all of next week. Would like any
> barbecue places that anyone would recommend. I'll be down in Litchfield but
> would drive anywhere from Georgetown to North Myrtle. Looked on the net a
> little, I think Armadillo's and Sticky Fingers is what I found. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Ric in Rock Hill

No way. I never found any bbq in Myrtle Beach. Go for the seafood
instead (avoid those all you can eat places).
BOB

Netguy wrote:
> In article >, go_herd86
> @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
>> I'm going to be going down to Myrtle Beach all of next week. Would like any
>> barbecue places that anyone would recommend. I'll be down in Litchfield but
>> would drive anywhere from Georgetown to North Myrtle. Looked on the net a
>> little, I think Armadillo's and Sticky Fingers is what I found. Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Ric in Rock Hill
>>

> No way. I never found any bbq in Myrtle Beach. Go for the seafood
> instead (avoid those all you can eat places).

I agree. I have a cousin that lives in Myrtle Beach, and he drives to North
Carolina for barbecue.

BOB

Greg Leman

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Netguy wrote:
> > In article >, go_herd86
> > @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
> >> I'm going to be going down to Myrtle Beach all of next week. Would like

any
> >> barbecue places that anyone would recommend. I'll be down in Litchfield

but
> >> would drive anywhere from Georgetown to North Myrtle. Looked on the net

> >> little, I think Armadillo's and Sticky Fingers is what I found. Thanks

in
> >> advance.
> >>
> >> Ric in Rock Hill
> >>

> > No way. I never found any bbq in Myrtle Beach. Go for the seafood
> > instead (avoid those all you can eat places).

> I agree. I have a cousin that lives in Myrtle Beach, and he drives to

North
> Carolina for barbecue.
>
> BOB

From Myrtle Beach, you can head north about 2 hours on Hwy 17 and be on the
edge of the heart of Eastern Carolina Q country. And you're only 4 hours
from The Skylight Inn (Pete Jones BBQ), well worth the trip. Since my visit
last week, I have started to agree that the Skylight Inn is the Mecca of
BBQ.

This guy has put together a pretty good site on eastern Q:
http://bbqpossum.8k.com/#eastern

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

ToLo

Greg Leman said on 7/7/2004 5:32 AM:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>
>>Netguy wrote:
>>
>>>In article >, go_herd86
says...

> any

> but

> in

>>>No way. I never found any bbq in Myrtle Beach. Go for the seafood
>>>instead (avoid those all you can eat places).

>>I agree. I have a cousin that lives in Myrtle Beach, and he drives to

> North
>
>>Carolina for barbecue.
>>
>>BOB
>>

> From Myrtle Beach, you can head north about 2 hours on Hwy 17 and be on the
> edge of the heart of Eastern Carolina Q country. And you're only 4 hours
> from The Skylight Inn (Pete Jones BBQ), well worth the trip. Since my visit
> last week, I have started to agree that the Skylight Inn is the Mecca of
> BBQ.
>
> This guy has put together a pretty good site on eastern Q:
> http://bbqpossum.8k.com/#eastern

Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:

" Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "

Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
especially that from Texas.......

ToLo

Greg Leman said on 7/7/2004 5:32 AM:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>
>>Netguy wrote:
>>
>>>In article >, go_herd86
says...

> any

> but

> in

>>>No way. I never found any bbq in Myrtle Beach. Go for the seafood
>>>instead (avoid those all you can eat places).

>>I agree. I have a cousin that lives in Myrtle Beach, and he drives to

> North
>
>>Carolina for barbecue.
>>
>>BOB
>>

> From Myrtle Beach, you can head north about 2 hours on Hwy 17 and be on the
> edge of the heart of Eastern Carolina Q country. And you're only 4 hours
> from The Skylight Inn (Pete Jones BBQ), well worth the trip. Since my visit
> last week, I have started to agree that the Skylight Inn is the Mecca of
> BBQ.
>
> This guy has put together a pretty good site on eastern Q:
> http://bbqpossum.8k.com/#eastern

Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:

" Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "

Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
especially that from Texas.......
Greg Leman

"ToLo" > wrote in message

> > This guy has put together a pretty good site on eastern Q:
> > http://bbqpossum.8k.com/#eastern
> >

> Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
> only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:
>
> " Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
> slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
> red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
> about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "
>
> Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
> especially that from Texas.......

Because the web site is about Eastern NC Q?

Arguing Texas vs Carolina Q is like arguing Chardonay vs Merlot. It just
isn't comparable. I saw this quote a few years back: Telling one man your
favorite barbeque is better than his is kind of like saying "My wife is
better than yours," only more personal.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
http://www.carolinasauce.com
A wide variety of sauces and specialty foods over the web.

ToLo

Greg Leman said on 8/8/2004 6:57 PM:
> "ToLo" > wrote in message
>
>>>This guy has put together a pretty good site on eastern Q:
>>>http://bbqpossum.8k.com/#eastern
>>>

>>Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
>>only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:
>>
>>" Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
>>slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
>>red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
>>about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "
>>
>>Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
>>especially that from Texas.......

> Because the web site is about Eastern NC Q?
>
> Arguing Texas vs Carolina Q is like arguing Chardonay vs Merlot. It just
> isn't comparable. I saw this quote a few years back: Telling one man your
> favorite barbeque is better than his is kind of like saying "My wife is
> better than yours," only more personal.

The quote was his. I didn't knock NC Q. No, I like Q made virtually
everywhere and even in Eastern NC. I had some great Q in Charlotte just
a few months ago. My complaint is that he made a grossly erroneous,
generalized statement about Texas Barbecue that certainly wasn't
descriptive of the vast majority of Q that I have eaten in Texas.

I'm in CA right now on a trip and have tried Q in at least a dozen
places here. Most was bad or mediocre but there were a few good
exceptions. I certainly wouldn't prop myself up as an expert in CA Q.

And please, ordering Q without asking for the sauce on the side? A fair
number of sauces that I have tried, EVERYWHERE, are pretty bad. A lot of
the time, the meat is pretty tasty but the sauce would have ruined it.
Did run into an exception the other day here in CA where the sauce was
exceptional but the meat was so, so. My preference is no sauce if the
meat is any good.

I travel a lot so get to try Q all over the country. Generally on an
expense account and so get to eat out a lot, and stay in a hotel in an
area for a long enough period of time to sample the cuisine.

He wants to describe Texas barbecue, all he has to do is take a little
trip along I10 or I20 or I290 or I59 or I45 or almost anywhere and stop
at any of the many great places that line them.

Eating Q at a Sonny's in Anniston, Alabama certainly doesn't give you
the expertise to describe all of Alabama Q as lousy. Right down 20 from
there in Tallapoosa, Al, there is a great smokehouse place that I would
never dream of passing without buying one of their smoked hams and a
mess of Q. Great ribs. I ate some great Q in Charlotte but there IS a
Sonny's there also and their Q is inedible. I wouldn't dream of
generalizing by using Sonny's stuff as an indicator of NC Q.

Lulling, Texas has some great Q. Heck, there is a little shack on I10
called Joels that is awesome and there are thousands of places just like
it in Texas. A lot of them are small. Good homemade stuff. You buy it
when it is ready and when it is gone, it is gone.

Nor does eating in an Amarillo barbecue joint give you the ability to
generally describe all the Q in Austin, or Dallas or even Houston almost
1000 miles away..
ToLo

> [...]

the expertise to describe all of Alabama Q as lousy. Right down 20 from
there in Tallapoosa, Al, there is a great smokehouse place that I would
never dream of passing without buying one of their smoked hams and a
mess of Q. Great ribs. I ate some great Q in Charlotte but there IS a
Sonny's there also and their Q is inedible. I wouldn't dream of
generalizing by using Sonny's stuff as an indicator of NC Q.

Lulling, Texas has some great Q. Heck, there is a little shack on I10
called Joels that is awesome and there are thousands of places just like
it in Texas. A lot of them are small. Good homemade stuff. You buy it
when it is ready and when it is gone, it is gone.

Nor does eating in an Amarillo barbecue joint give you the ability to
generally describe all the Q in Austin, or Dallas or even Houston almost
ToLo

> [...]

the expertise to describe all of Alabama Q as lousy. Right down 20 from
there in Tallapoosa, Al, there is a great smokehouse place that I would
never dream of passing without buying one of their smoked hams and a
mess of Q. Great ribs. I ate some great Q in Charlotte but there IS a
Sonny's there also and their Q is inedible. I wouldn't dream of
generalizing by using Sonny's stuff as an indicator of NC Q.

Lulling, Texas has some great Q. Heck, there is a little shack on I10
called Joels that is awesome and there are thousands of places just like
it in Texas. A lot of them are small. Good homemade stuff. You buy it
when it is ready and when it is gone, it is gone.

Nor does eating in an Amarillo barbecue joint give you the ability to
generally describe all the Q in Austin, or Dallas or even Houston almost

Greg Leman

"ToLo" > wrote in message
> Greg Leman said on 8/8/2004 6:57 PM:

> >>Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
> >>only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:
> >>
> >>" Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
> >>slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
> >>red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
> >>about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "
> >>
> >>Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
> >>especially that from Texas.......

> > Because the web site is about Eastern NC Q?
> >
> > Arguing Texas vs Carolina Q is like arguing Chardonay vs Merlot. It

just
> > isn't comparable. I saw this quote a few years back: Telling one man

your
> > favorite barbeque is better than his is kind of like saying "My wife is
> > better than yours," only more personal.
> >

> The quote was his. I didn't knock NC Q. No, I like Q made virtually
> everywhere and even in Eastern NC. I had some great Q in Charlotte just
> a few months ago. My complaint is that he made a grossly erroneous,
> generalized statement about Texas Barbecue that certainly wasn't
> descriptive of the vast majority of Q that I have eaten in Texas.
> (snip)

I think you might have missed the point. There is a healthy rivalry between
NC and Texas Q. Both sides, tongue in cheek, refuse to admit that what the
other side makes even _is_ Q. In NC, the word "barbeque" means pulled
pork -- so saying "beef barbeque" doesn't make any sense here. The possum's
comments about Texas Q were just a lighthearted poke at our rival state.

I happen to like it all as well. I've had the opportunity to travel
extensively and I've enjoy different styles throughout the country. In the
dead of night, when the neighbors are fast asleep, I've even been known to Q
a brisket or two. Just because the Possum poked a little fun at Texas
doesn't mean you should discount what he has to say about Eastern NC Style
Q. I've found his reviews to be pretty much dead on.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
http://www.carolinasauce.com
A wide variety of sauces and specialty foods over the web.

Greg Leman

"ToLo" > wrote in message
> Greg Leman said on 8/8/2004 6:57 PM:

> >>Why would I put ANY credence to what a person writes when their stated
> >>only knowledge of Texas Style Barbecue is as quoted from their site:
> >>
> >>" Award winning Texas style BBQ, which means meat (including beef?!)
> >>slow cooked and sliced down into big pieces and served with a ketchupy
> >>red sauce. Folks in Texas are so nice that we hate to say anything bad
> >>about their barbecue, so we won't say anything more. "
> >>
> >>Obviously a friggin' moron who knows absolutely NOTHING about barbecue
> >>especially that from Texas.......

> > Because the web site is about Eastern NC Q?
> >
> > Arguing Texas vs Carolina Q is like arguing Chardonay vs Merlot. It

just
> > isn't comparable. I saw this quote a few years back: Telling one man

your
> > favorite barbeque is better than his is kind of like saying "My wife is
> > better than yours," only more personal.
> >

> The quote was his. I didn't knock NC Q. No, I like Q made virtually
> everywhere and even in Eastern NC. I had some great Q in Charlotte just
> a few months ago. My complaint is that he made a grossly erroneous,
> generalized statement about Texas Barbecue that certainly wasn't
> descriptive of the vast majority of Q that I have eaten in Texas.
> (snip)

I think you might have missed the point. There is a healthy rivalry between
NC and Texas Q. Both sides, tongue in cheek, refuse to admit that what the
other side makes even _is_ Q. In NC, the word "barbeque" means pulled
pork -- so saying "beef barbeque" doesn't make any sense here. The possum's
comments about Texas Q were just a lighthearted poke at our rival state.

I happen to like it all as well. I've had the opportunity to travel
extensively and I've enjoy different styles throughout the country. In the
dead of night, when the neighbors are fast asleep, I've even been known to Q
a brisket or two. Just because the Possum poked a little fun at Texas
doesn't mean you should discount what he has to say about Eastern NC Style
Q. I've found his reviews to be pretty much dead on.

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
http://www.carolinasauce.com
A wide variety of sauces and specialty foods over the web.

ToLo

Greg Leman said on 8/9/2004 4:35 AM:

> I think you might have missed the point. There is a healthy rivalry between
> NC and Texas Q. Both sides, tongue in cheek, refuse to admit that what the
> other side makes even _is_ Q. In NC, the word "barbeque" means pulled
> pork -- so saying "beef barbeque" doesn't make any sense here. The possum's
> comments about Texas Q were just a lighthearted poke at our rival state.
>
> I happen to like it all as well. I've had the opportunity to travel
> extensively and I've enjoy different styles throughout the country. In the
> dead of night, when the neighbors are fast asleep, I've even been known to Q
> a brisket or two. Just because the Possum poked a little fun at Texas
> doesn't mean you should discount what he has to say about Eastern NC Style
> Q. I've found his reviews to be pretty much dead on.

Darn you're probably right. Guess I'll have to apologize. Showed my
ignorance there.. Missed the tongue in cheek tone of voice.

Good points. Never did find a "great" brisket or "outstanding" sausage
in Alabama, Georgia and north of there but they sure had a lot of really
great ribs and excellent pork.

Can't wait to get back home. Haven't had access to my pits in months,
actually almost 5 months! Been invited out to Qs but just ain't the same
eating someone else's.

And the first meat on the pit WILL be beef!!