Jesse Skeens

Default Char Broil Silver Smoker 492 or 738 sq inches?

Hi,

I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.

It doesn't seem to have the warming plate that the black diamond shows
so I guess I got the Silver Smoker/492.

Jesse
Dana Myers

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
> NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
> sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
> BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.

I'm pretty sure the 492 sq in of cooking space is
what you get with two grills in the main cooking chamber.
If you install a third grill in the firebox, you get
738 sq in. Each grill apparently has 246 sq in of cooking
area; I suppose I could measure a grill and confirm this.

The 738 sq in figure is accurate if you're
grilling (not barbecuing) in both the firebox and
the cooking chamber.

Enjoy!

Dana
L. Cook

"Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
> NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
> sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
> BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.
>
> It doesn't seem to have the warming plate that the black diamond shows
> so I guess I got the Silver Smoker/492.
>
> Jesse

Well, you could always use your tape measure and a bit of math....heh
heh.

M&M

On 4-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> Jesse Skeens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
> > NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
> > sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
> > BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.

> I'm pretty sure the 492 sq in of cooking space is
> what you get with two grills in the main cooking chamber.
> If you install a third grill in the firebox, you get
> 738 sq in. Each grill apparently has 246 sq in of cooking
> area; I suppose I could measure a grill and confirm this.
>
> The 738 sq in figure is accurate if you're
> grilling (not barbecuing) in both the firebox and
> the cooking chamber.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Dana

Damn Dana, It's 2:30AM and I just got all nasty from measuring
the bottom grates in my NBS. They're 10.5" X 13.5" X 2 = 283.5".
With the 492 Sq In on top that gives you 775.5 Sq In of cooking
area in the smoking chamber. (You have to order more grates if
you want to fill it up) I have one extra cooking grate and one extra
fire grate, but that's it. I don't expect to buy any more. I expected
to grill in the cooking chamber now and then which I do, but it's
so hard to manipulate the cooking grate in and out of the firebox
that I never do that anymore. I don't tend fuel through the fire
door. I have a space conflict on that end.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> Damn Dana, It's 2:30AM and I just got all nasty from measuring
> the bottom grates in my NBS. They're 10.5" X 13.5" X 2 = 283.5".
> With the 492 Sq In on top that gives you 775.5 Sq In of cooking
> area in the smoking chamber.

So, I just had to measure mine, too. I have a stock Charbroil
Silver Smoker, essentially an NBS. Three grates were supplied;
two of them are slightly larger than 16" x 16", or in^2.
The third grate is narrower (so it can be inserted into the
firebox opening) at 16" x 15" or 240 in^2. It wouldn't
surprise me if the 492 in^2 number was determined using the
slightly narrow grates or some allowing for spacing around
the edges of the cook chamber were made.

The firebox grate seems to be almost exactly the 238 in^2
I'd expected.

Cheers!
Dana

Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> Damn Dana, It's 2:30AM and I just got all nasty from measuring
> the bottom grates in my NBS. They're 10.5" X 13.5" X 2 = 283.5".
> With the 492 Sq In on top that gives you 775.5 Sq In of cooking
> area in the smoking chamber.

So, I just had to measure mine, too. I have a stock Charbroil
Silver Smoker, essentially an NBS. Three grates were supplied;
two of them are slightly larger than 16" x 16", or in^2.
The third grate is narrower (so it can be inserted into the
firebox opening) at 16" x 15" or 240 in^2. It wouldn't
surprise me if the 492 in^2 number was determined using the
slightly narrow grates or some allowing for spacing around
the edges of the cook chamber were made.

The firebox grate seems to be almost exactly the 238 in^2
I'd expected.

Cheers!
Dana

Jesse Skeens

"L. Cook" > wrote in message >. ..
> "Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
> > NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
> > sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
> > BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to have the warming plate that the black diamond shows
> > so I guess I got the Silver Smoker/492.
> >
> > Jesse

> Well, you could always use your tape measure and a bit of math....heh
> heh.

True but I wasn't exactly sure what they considered a "cooking area",
ie if they were using extra grates etc to get that figure.

Can anyone tell me how long the Black Diamond is? I assume the Silver
would be shorter overall, from left ot right.
Jesse
Jesse Skeens

"L. Cook" > wrote in message >. ..
> "Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a new Char Broil Silver Smoker from HD. According to the
> > NB site the Silver should have 492sq inch cooking area. Yet the
> > sticker (from Char Broil) attached to my unit says it's 738 (like the
> > BD). The sticker does mark it as a Silver Smoker.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to have the warming plate that the black diamond shows
> > so I guess I got the Silver Smoker/492.
> >
> > Jesse

> Well, you could always use your tape measure and a bit of math....heh
> heh.

True but I wasn't exactly sure what they considered a "cooking area",
ie if they were using extra grates etc to get that figure.

Can anyone tell me how long the Black Diamond is? I assume the Silver
would be shorter overall, from left ot right.
Jesse
M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > Damn Dana, It's 2:30AM and I just got all nasty from measuring
> > the bottom grates in my NBS. They're 10.5" X 13.5" X 2 = 283.5".
> > With the 492 Sq In on top that gives you 775.5 Sq In of cooking
> > area in the smoking chamber.

> So, I just had to measure mine, too. I have a stock Charbroil
> Silver Smoker, essentially an NBS. Three grates were supplied;
> two of them are slightly larger than 16" x 16", or in^2.
> The third grate is narrower (so it can be inserted into the
> firebox opening) at 16" x 15" or 240 in^2. It wouldn't
> surprise me if the 492 in^2 number was determined using the
> slightly narrow grates or some allowing for spacing around
> the edges of the cook chamber were made.
>
> The firebox grate seems to be almost exactly the 238 in^2
> I'd expected.
>
> Cheers!
> Dana

I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
do is done in the cook chamber.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 7-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > Damn Dana, It's 2:30AM and I just got all nasty from measuring
> > the bottom grates in my NBS. They're 10.5" X 13.5" X 2 = 283.5".
> > With the 492 Sq In on top that gives you 775.5 Sq In of cooking
> > area in the smoking chamber.

> So, I just had to measure mine, too. I have a stock Charbroil
> Silver Smoker, essentially an NBS. Three grates were supplied;
> two of them are slightly larger than 16" x 16", or in^2.
> The third grate is narrower (so it can be inserted into the
> firebox opening) at 16" x 15" or 240 in^2. It wouldn't
> surprise me if the 492 in^2 number was determined using the
> slightly narrow grates or some allowing for spacing around
> the edges of the cook chamber were made.
>
> The firebox grate seems to be almost exactly the 238 in^2
> I'd expected.
>
> Cheers!
> Dana

I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
do is done in the cook chamber.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
> grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
> do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
> do is done in the cook chamber.

Yeah, even the narrower grate is a bit of a pain
to install in the firebox but it's not that hard
to do with a little practice. I wonder how many
phone calls Charbroil gets because they provide
two 16" wide grates and one 15" wide one without
mentioning in the instructions why one is narrower ?

I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
grate cheap enough if you called them?

Cheers!
Dana

Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
> grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
> do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
> do is done in the cook chamber.

Yeah, even the narrower grate is a bit of a pain
to install in the firebox but it's not that hard
to do with a little practice. I wonder how many
phone calls Charbroil gets because they provide
two 16" wide grates and one 15" wide one without
mentioning in the instructions why one is narrower ?

I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
grate cheap enough if you called them?

Cheers!
Dana

M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
> > grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
> > do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
> > do is done in the cook chamber.

> Yeah, even the narrower grate is a bit of a pain
> to install in the firebox but it's not that hard
> to do with a little practice. I wonder how many
> phone calls Charbroil gets because they provide
> two 16" wide grates and one 15" wide one without
> mentioning in the instructions why one is narrower ?
>
> I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
> grate cheap enough if you called them?
>
> Cheers!
> Dana

Interesting idea Dana. I might just try that out. Given that
a standard grate will actually go in the fire box, one an
inch shorter has got to be a lot easier. And it would be
more convenient to grill in the firebox. Thanks.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > I didn't get the narrower cooking grate with mine. A standard
> > grate can be fitted into the firebox, but it's a bitch and I can't
> > do it once the firebox is hot. Consequently, any grilling that I
> > do is done in the cook chamber.

> Yeah, even the narrower grate is a bit of a pain
> to install in the firebox but it's not that hard
> to do with a little practice. I wonder how many
> phone calls Charbroil gets because they provide
> two 16" wide grates and one 15" wide one without
> mentioning in the instructions why one is narrower ?
>
> I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
> grate cheap enough if you called them?
>
> Cheers!
> Dana

Interesting idea Dana. I might just try that out. Given that
a standard grate will actually go in the fire box, one an
inch shorter has got to be a lot easier. And it would be
more convenient to grill in the firebox. Thanks.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

>>I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
>>grate cheap enough if you called them?
>>
>>Cheers!
>>Dana

> Interesting idea Dana. I might just try that out. Given that
> a standard grate will actually go in the fire box, one an
> inch shorter has got to be a lot easier. And it would be
> more convenient to grill in the firebox. Thanks.

My pleasure - I hope they're able to take care of you.
In the worst case, you could order another 16" grate
and cut it down yourself ;-) It really is more
convenient to grill in the firebox...

Cheers,
Dana

M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
>
> > On 8-Jul-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:

> >>I wonder if they'd sell you a narrower firebox
> >>grate cheap enough if you called them?
> >>
> >>Cheers!
> >>Dana

> > Interesting idea Dana. I might just try that out. Given that
> > a standard grate will actually go in the fire box, one an
> > inch shorter has got to be a lot easier. And it would be
> > more convenient to grill in the firebox. Thanks.

> My pleasure - I hope they're able to take care of you.
> In the worst case, you could order another 16" grate
> and cut it down yourself ;-) It really is more
> convenient to grill in the firebox...
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I don't doubt that. I'll have to order one. If I cut one down
it would no longer have a supporting rail on the end.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Dana Myers

M&M wrote:

> I'll have to order one. If I cut one down
> it would no longer have a supporting rail on the end.

I'm not sure what you mean - the grate has three
rails that run lengthwise and many rails that run
perpendicular. Trimming off the the last two
perpendicular rails just means shortening the long
supporting rails as far as I can tell. The
disadvantage would be that the cut end would no longer
have porcelain coating on the ends.

Dana
M&M

> > I'll have to order one. If I cut one down
> > it would no longer have a supporting rail on the end.

> I'm not sure what you mean - the grate has three
> rails that run lengthwise and many rails that run
> perpendicular. Trimming off the the last two
> perpendicular rails just means shortening the long
> supporting rails as far as I can tell. The
> disadvantage would be that the cut end would no longer
> have porcelain coating on the ends.
>
> Dana

I suspect I've been caught out yet again. I have an unused
cooking grate. I'll check it out manana and see how it works
out. I'd like to be able to grill in the firebox without a lot of
hassle. Thanks for the heads up.

--
M&M ("You pick up speed when you're over the hill,
but it's a bitch with worn out brakes.")
M&M