Matthew Brown

Default BBQ Music???

Group,

Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are Q'ing--
but here goes

Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
bedroom) ?

In other words-- what the hell do you listen to while you are prepping,
cooking and eating the best of all American Cuisines-- Barbecue.

My favorites are as follows--

The Blues-- Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Barbecue Bob (only time I listen to
him as a matter of fact). B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and Buddy Guy all find
their way onto my CD player more often than most when I have the Hog on the
cooker.

Johnny Cash-- Something about the pace of the Man in Black lends itself to
the cooking of the meat.

Lyle Lovett-- See above reference to Johnny Cash.

Al Green-- I love the sound of his voice. I wish he had a song about lovin'
the Q like his songs about the ladies.

Can you tell I'm from Memphis??

Matthew Brown
Memphis

Dave Bugg

Matthew Brown wrote:

> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer
> that might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you
> are Q'ing-- but here goes

ZYDECO!!!! Laissez les bons temps roule. I also enjoy some good ole
Mississippi Delta blues, and the new country music stuff.
Dave

BigDog

Matthew Brown wrote in alt.food.barbecue
> My favorites are as follows--
>
> The Blues-- Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Barbecue Bob (only time I
> listen to him as a matter of fact). B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and
> Buddy Guy all find their way onto my CD player more often than most
> when I have the Hog on the cooker.

I'm with ya here. Love the blues. Throw in some SRV, Johnny Lang, The
Fabulous Thunderbirds, Charlie Musslewhite, Robert Cray, Kenny Wayne
Shepherd and Bugs Henderson, just to name a few.

> Johnny Cash-- Something about the pace of the Man in Black lends
> itself to the cooking of the meat.

Ya gotta love Johnny!

> Lyle Lovett-- See above reference to Johnny Cash.

Ditto

> Al Green-- I love the sound of his voice. I wish he had a song about
> lovin' the Q like his songs about the ladies.

Oh yeah. He the man.
> Can you tell I'm from Memphis??

No. I'm from Texas and like all you said.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Matthew Brown wrote:

> Can you tell I'm from Memphis??

A great song by a great songwriter, Dan Penn, is "Memphis Women and
Chicken" (from his 1994 release, Do Right Man). Now, lots of songs over
the years have used food as a euphemism for sex* but Penn turns the
concept on it's head by making food sexy.

Another great BBQ song is Robert Earl Keen's "Barbeque" (unfortunately a
Texas-style song rather than Memphis...<g>).

My last big party w/smoked shoulder was exclusively southern soul- OV
Wright, James Carr, Otis Clay, Eddie Floyd, William Bell, Clarence
Carter as I recall (stayed away from the more well-known artists- sorry,
Otis...).

* Jerry Lee Lewis' "Meat Man" anyone?

Guppy21014

Zydaco...... H. Castille, Queen Ida.

JaKe

Matthew Brown wrote:

> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
> might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are Q'ing--
> but here goes
>
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
> bedroom) ?

Wow, I was just thinking about this!

I listen to:

Sly & The Family Stone
Anything from Stax records
Anything with a B3 organ

--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
Ric

I like smoking a cigar and listening to Cuban music
Mambo Kings
Xaviar Cugat
Tito Puente
Afro Cuban Allstars
Celia Cruz

Ric in Rock Hill

"Matthew Brown" > wrote in message
> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
> might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are

Q'ing--
> but here goes
>
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
> bedroom) ?
>
> In other words-- what the hell do you listen to while you are prepping,
> cooking and eating the best of all American Cuisines-- Barbecue.
>

> My favorites are as follows--
>
> The Blues-- Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Barbecue Bob (only time I listen

> him as a matter of fact). B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and Buddy Guy all

find
> their way onto my CD player more often than most when I have the Hog on

the
> cooker.
>
> Johnny Cash-- Something about the pace of the Man in Black lends itself to
> the cooking of the meat.
>
> Lyle Lovett-- See above reference to Johnny Cash.
>
> Al Green-- I love the sound of his voice. I wish he had a song about

lovin'
> the Q like his songs about the ladies.
>
> Can you tell I'm from Memphis??
>
> Matthew Brown
> Memphis

Al Reid

"JaKe" > wrote in message ...

> Wow, I was just thinking about this!
>
> I listen to:
>
> Sly & The Family Stone
> Anything from Stax records
> Anything with a B3 organ

Ah, the ole Hammond B3. Gotta love it!

I once played in a band where the keyboardist had one on those monsters. What a hassle setting up and tearing down.

Great sound, however.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

> --
> JaKe, Seattle
> "People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."
> Elvin Jones

John O

> > The Blues-- Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Barbecue Bob (only time I
> > listen to him as a matter of fact). B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and
> > Buddy Guy all find their way onto my CD player more often than most
> > when I have the Hog on the cooker.

> I'm with ya here. Love the blues. Throw in some SRV, Johnny Lang, The
> Fabulous Thunderbirds, Charlie Musslewhite, Robert Cray, Kenny Wayne
> Shepherd and Bugs Henderson, just to name a few.

All that stuff, yeah.....and the Blues channel on Sirius, or Dish Network.

I didn't do this on purpose, but last summer I played some Diana Krall and
the ladies really liked it while the smoker was making whoopie.

-John O

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Al Reid"
> wrote:

> "JaKe" > wrote in message ...

> > Anything with a B3 organ
> >

> Ah, the ole Hammond B3. Gotta love it!
>
> I once played in a band where the keyboardist had one on those monsters.
> What a hassle setting up and tearing down.
>
> Great sound, however.

Yep - a real Leslie cabinet is a beeyotch to move. They're the Kamado
#7 of the speaker world...

monroe(something to be said for portability)
Ol' Hippie

I have to go with that good ol Rock & Roll, Steve Wertz hit the nail on the
head, and usually throw in some Blues for good measure.
Now when to cookin' is done, and everyone is feelin' groovy just let it all
hang out and partee!
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol'Hippie

Victor B. Putz

Gotta go with Blues here as well--and for me, Blues means John Lee
Hooker. And others, of course, but somehow the Hook just has the
right sound; nothing like him.

-->VPutz
frohe

Matthew Brown wrote:
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside

the
> bedroom) ?

Early mornin when I'm up before dark, it's Merle Haggard.

When the sun's finally up, it's time to boogie - ZZ Top, the Beatles,
Credence Clearwater Revival, Steely Dan, the Doors & the Eagles, just
to name a few.

When the cookin's done, folks have eaten to their heart's content and
it's time to just settle back for some more beer and plenty of
bullshit, there ain't nothin like Jimmy Buffett to take ya deep into
the night.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

AG

"Matthew Brown" > wrote in message
> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
> might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are

Q'ing--
> but here goes
>
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
> bedroom) ?

<snip>
Don't listen to anything 'cept the sounds of nature. Never really thought
about setting up a radio or playing some cd's. If it's cold out I may go
inside and watch a scifi movie.

ag

Dana Myers

Matthew Brown wrote:

> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
> might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are Q'ing--
> but here goes
>
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
> bedroom) ?
>
> In other words-- what the hell do you listen to while you are prepping,
> cooking and eating the best of all American Cuisines-- Barbecue.

Blues, Jazz, sometimes Classical as the smoke wafts up.
Southern rock and CCR and especially the Doobie Bros.
seem appropriate when I'm smokin'.

But usually I don't listen to much music outside, that's
more time to commune with nature as much as my neighborhood
will let me. Perhaps that's why I especially like starting
a cook off early in the morning when few others are stirring,
and it's mostly just gently breezes, birds chirping and
sometimes a train lumbering along in the distance across
Cordelia Slough.

Dana
Douglas Barber

FH wrote:
> Rock. Blues, Bluegrass... just about anything but "pop," disco or
> classical music That just wouldn't be right.

Nope. "William Tell Overture" might work for grilling, tho

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Douglas Barber
> wrote:

> FH wrote:
> > Rock. Blues, Bluegrass... just about anything but "pop," disco or
> > classical music That just wouldn't be right.
> >

> Nope. "William Tell Overture" might work for grilling, tho

Geez this thread goes and goes...
Look-I have thou$and$ invested in CDs tapes vinyl and equipment to waft
these soundwaves into the air-to limit my choices to a certain genre
due to the task at hand just sounds ludicrous. Cooking doesn't make me
wanna change my random listening habits any more than brushing my teeth
does. You're gonna hear just about anything and everything during a 20
hour pork butt cook.
Oh and which of my 4 versions of William Tell Overture to choose from?

monroe(in my own little self created listening world)
mtbchip

I'm big into jerk BBQ, so I have reggae on my mind......

Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse (my
favorite), Big Mountain...............and don't forget Peter
Tosh...........LEGALIZE IT!!!

Mtbchip

BKahuna

You think that's bad, try moving a pair of Tannoy Wesminsters ( > 600
lbs./pair) up two flights of stairs and into an apartment.

Paracelsus

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:15:57 +0000, Matthew Brown wrote:

> Group,
>
> Maybe slightly off-topic-- akin to discussing the type of beer that
> might be your favorite with which to slake the thirst while you are Q'ing--
> but here goes
>
> Is there a particular genre, band, song, or instrument that you find
> yourself listening to when you are doing what you do best (outside the
> bedroom) ?
>
> In other words-- what the hell do you listen to while you are prepping,
> cooking and eating the best of all American Cuisines-- Barbecue.
>

> My favorites are as follows--
>
> The Blues-- Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, Barbecue Bob (only time I listen to
> him as a matter of fact). B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and Buddy Guy all find
> their way onto my CD player more often than most when I have the Hog on the
> cooker.
>
> Johnny Cash-- Something about the pace of the Man in Black lends itself to
> the cooking of the meat.
>
> Lyle Lovett-- See above reference to Johnny Cash.
>
> Al Green-- I love the sound of his voice. I wish he had a song about lovin'
> the Q like his songs about the ladies.
>
> Can you tell I'm from Memphis??
>
> Matthew Brown
> Memphis

Do a google on gnutella, download a client (Gnucleus is my fav) and once
you've got it running do a search on barbeque and barbecue you'll find
lots of country songs that address the topic, download and play your
favorite.
Chef Juke

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:15:57 GMT, "Matthew Brown"
> wrote:

>Group,

<snip>

>In other words-- what the hell do you listen to while you are prepping,
>cooking and eating the best of all American Cuisines-- Barbecue.

<snip>

Most any good, upbeat, fun music.

A few months back I picked up a cd compilation called Barbecue Blues
http://wwwp.musicmatch.com/album/alb...ALBUMID=525653

Not a bad mix.

Gotta add a few of my bbq/eating songs such as..

"Save the Bones for Henry Jones ('Cause Henry Don't Eat No Meat)" -
Nat King Cole & Johnny Mercer

"Everybody Eats When They Come To My House" - Cab Calloway (you didn't
think *I* made that up, did you?)

"Party On the Farm" - Dalton Reed (fairly obscure, but good soul
music)

"Shake, Rattle & Roll" - Big Joe Turner

"Frim fram sauce" Nat King Cole

"It ain't the meat, It's the Motion" - The Swallows

:-)

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Michael

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
<YYY>
Perhaps that's why I especially like starting
> a cook off early in the morning when few others are stirring,
> and it's mostly just gently breezes, birds chirping and
> sometimes a train lumbering along in the distance across
> Cordelia Slough.
>
> Dana

That sounds like a perfect morning! Add the smell of coffee brewing and it's
heaven.

Michael

Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> Most of us can at least claim to share the common interest of BBQ
> and animal products, but when it comes to good music, ya'll don't
> have a friggen clue.

A steady diet of nothing but BBQ and blues will soon constipate you
from head to toe and from ear to ear.

monroe(listening to a rainstorm at the moment)

OT - Music Dimitri General Cooking 2 08-12-2012 09:01 AM
OT; music Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 2 01-10-2012 04:16 AM
don't get music marika Preserving 0 04-12-2006 04:05 AM
OT music elaine General Cooking 36 05-02-2005 03:56 AM
right then, let's music Lester Mosley General Cooking 6 03-08-2004 12:44 PM