Default OT Woodworking

Several of you have mentioned that you're also into woodworking. This
probably isn't even on topic for that, so I'll just cut to the chase. Where
can I find info on removing water stains (almost black) from oak flooring?
Thanks.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

> Where
> can I find info on removing water stains (almost black) from oak flooring?
> Thanks.

You can always ask in the incontinence newsgroup.

Try alt.home.repair I know there are bleaches that may work. Oak has a very
open grain and it will take more than just sanding.
Ed

Scarlet Pimpernel

> wrote in message
> Several of you have mentioned that you're also into woodworking. This
> probably isn't even on topic for that, so I'll just cut to the chase.

Where
> can I find info on removing water stains (almost black) from oak flooring?
> Thanks.

Googled, and found:

Q&A Getting water stains out of oak? By Michael Dresdner - May 22, 2001 Q.
This woodworker got some old oak and oak veneer furniture from his mother
and wonders how to get the water stains out of it.(Michael Dresdner) "Not
all water stains will come out. Those that will often respond to oxalic
acid. You can buy some oxalic acid crystals at the hardware store, make up a
6% solution (one tablespoon to one pint of warm water), and flood the piece
with it -- the whole piece, and not just the stains. Let it dry overnight,
and repeat if necessary. The oxalic acid will remove stains and bring the
oak back to its original color but will not bleach or discolor the oak. The
acid will leave a dusty residue on the wood. Vacuum it off or sponge it off
with lots of clean water before finishing. This process may raise the grain,
so you may have to sand very lightly with 320 grit paper. CAUTION: Oxalic
acid is toxic and irritating in powdered form, so wear a dust mask and
goggles when handling it." HTH

/s

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Where can I find info on removing water stains (almost black) from oak
> > flooring? Thanks.
> >

> You can always ask in the incontinence newsgroup.
>
> Try alt.home.repair I know there are bleaches that may work. Oak has a
> very open grain and it will take more than just sanding.

Thanks, Ed. I can always Depends on you! ;~/

"Scarlet Pimpernel" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Several of you have mentioned that you're also into woodworking. This
> > probably isn't even on topic for that, so I'll just cut to the chase.
> > Where can I find info on removing water stains (almost black) from oak
> > flooring? Thanks.

> Googled, and found:

Hey! I've got Google! And now I remember oxalic acid.
Thanks for that. Ah, if I only had a brain!

"kilikini" > wrote:
> []
> HI and I'll take ya?

Promises, promises!

"kilikini" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> > > []
> > > HI and I'll take ya?
> > >

> > Promises, promises!
> >
> > --
> > Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
> >
> > http://operationiraqichildren.org/

> Oh Nick............... I didn't mean *take* you. Hee hee hee. You're
> already spoken for. :~)

LMAO. I luvs ya, Kili. I knew ya meant lease, not purchase! Can I get a
Mulligan on the first, um . . . tee? Yeah. That's it, tee! <hee>

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Impoissant in the San Fernando Valley

"kilikini" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > > Oh Nick............... I didn't mean *take* you. Hee hee hee.
> > > You're already spoken for. :~)
> > >

> > LMAO. I luvs ya, Kili. I knew ya meant lease, not purchase! Can I get a
> > Mulligan on the first, um . . . tee? Yeah. That's it, tee! <hee>
> >

> Hee hee hee, no "tea" here, only beer. So, here's a beer for you!

Indian who drink too much beer sleep in tea pee!

> Sorry, all I have are pints.

Luv them pint jugs!

> I lubs you too, you big lug. :~)

Aw, shucks. <shuffle, shuffle>

"kilikini" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> Oh, and Nick, is that Impoissant or impotant? <VVVVBEG>

You'll probably never have the good luck to find out, but I choose my words
VERY carefully.