Jason in Dallas

Default First pork butts a huge success

Being Texan, butts are not something I'm accustomed to but finally decided
to see what all the fuss was about:

Bought a cryo 6lb and an 8lb bone-in butt on sale. Used a WSM with a
Brinkmann water pan, using Kingsford (gasp!) a'la Minion Method, and some
hickory and some apple chunks. Slathered butts with mustard and whipped up a
rub with a half dozen or so typical seasonings. Smoked at about 225F until
they hit 195F since I wanted extra tender. Took maybe 20 hours or so to
cook. Allowed to rest foiled in cooler for a while after cooking.

Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma, extra
tender. Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally pigging out as I
pulled. Served on sesame seed buns I toasted on a griddle with a bit of the
rendered fat. Sauced the sandwiches with a mustard-vinegar-oil sauce adding
brown sugar and crushed red pepper.

Pretty freaking good.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally
> pigging out as I pulled.

Ain't that the truth :-) Sounds like a winner, Jason, way to go!!
Dave

Larry Noah

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:22:06 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
wrote:

>Being Texan, butts are not something I'm accustomed to but finally decided
>to see what all the fuss was about:
>
>Bought a cryo 6lb and an 8lb bone-in butt on sale. Used a WSM with a
>Brinkmann water pan, using Kingsford (gasp!) a'la Minion Method, and some
>hickory and some apple chunks. Slathered butts with mustard and whipped up a
>rub with a half dozen or so typical seasonings. Smoked at about 225F until
>they hit 195F since I wanted extra tender. Took maybe 20 hours or so to
>cook. Allowed to rest foiled in cooler for a while after cooking.
>
>Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma, extra
>tender. Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally pigging out as I
>pulled. Served on sesame seed buns I toasted on a griddle with a bit of the
>rendered fat. Sauced the sandwiches with a mustard-vinegar-oil sauce adding
>brown sugar and crushed red pepper.
>
>Pretty freaking good.

Sounds great. I have slight variations with mine. I pull with my
hands (wearing food grade rubber gloves). I pull just as soon as it
is cool enough to handle with the gloves.

The other variation is instead of sauce, I pile cole slaw on the
sandwich. This is the way I was taught may years ago in Charlotte,
NC.

Jason in Dallas

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message
> >Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma,

extra
> >tender.

> Sounds great. I have slight variations with mine. I pull with my
> hands (wearing food grade rubber gloves). I pull just as soon as it
> is cool enough to handle with the gloves.
>
> The other variation is instead of sauce, I pile cole slaw on the
> sandwich.

I tried the gloves for pulling but forks were easier for me. The gloves were
good for handling big chunks of hot meat, though.

As for slaw, not a fan but will give it a shot sometime since I have lots of
leftovers destined for the Foodsaver.

DukeDude

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:22:06 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
> wrote:
>
> >Being Texan, butts are not something I'm accustomed to but finally

decided
> >to see what all the fuss was about:
> >
> >Bought a cryo 6lb and an 8lb bone-in butt on sale. Used a WSM with a
> >Brinkmann water pan, using Kingsford (gasp!) a'la Minion Method, and some
> >hickory and some apple chunks. Slathered butts with mustard and whipped

up a
> >rub with a half dozen or so typical seasonings. Smoked at about 225F

until
> >they hit 195F since I wanted extra tender. Took maybe 20 hours or so to
> >cook. Allowed to rest foiled in cooler for a while after cooking.
> >
> >Butts pulled very easily with a couple forks. Good bark, good aroma,

extra
> >tender. Biggest problem in pulling the pork was not totally pigging out

as I
> >pulled. Served on sesame seed buns I toasted on a griddle with a bit of

the
> >rendered fat. Sauced the sandwiches with a mustard-vinegar-oil sauce

adding
> >brown sugar and crushed red pepper.
> >
> >Pretty freaking good.
> >

> Sounds great. I have slight variations with mine. I pull with my
> hands (wearing food grade rubber gloves). I pull just as soon as it
> is cool enough to handle with the gloves.
>
> The other variation is instead of sauce, I pile cole slaw on the
> sandwich. This is the way I was taught may years ago in Charlotte,
> NC.

I like with sauce and the slaw.

DukeDude