FoodBanter.com

-   -   purchase help (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/20572-purchase-help.html)

Paul 13-06-2004 07:19 PM

purchase help

We're looking for a propane grill in the $500 to $600 range.

We've seen the Vermont Castings at Home Depot and that was our initial
choice, either the $400 three burner model or the $600 four burner
model.

After reading everything here, and the FAQ, we looked at the Weber line
up this morning. We liked the Weber Genesis Gold B for $549. Stainless
steel grates and flavorizer bars. 36,000 BTUs, three burners.

Anything else we should consider or look at? Thanks in advance.

Sal Monella 13-06-2004 08:57 PM

purchase help

Paul wrote:
> We're looking for a propane grill in the $500 to $600 range.
>
> We've seen the Vermont Castings at Home Depot and that was our initial
> choice, either the $400 three burner model or the $600 four burner
> model.
>
> After reading everything here, and the FAQ, we looked at the Weber line
> up this morning. We liked the Weber Genesis Gold B for $549. Stainless
> steel grates and flavorizer bars. 36,000 BTUs, three burners.
>
> Anything else we should consider or look at? Thanks in advance.

I'd go with Weber myself.

Jason 13-06-2004 09:58 PM

purchase help

"Paul" > wrote in message
> We're looking for a propane grill in the $500 to $600 range.
>
> We've seen the Vermont Castings at Home Depot and that was our initial
> choice, either the $400 three burner model or the $600 four burner
> model.
>
> After reading everything here, and the FAQ, we looked at the Weber line
> up this morning. We liked the Weber Genesis Gold B for $549. Stainless
> steel grates and flavorizer bars. 36,000 BTUs, three burners.

I'd advise you to not get the model with stainless steel (SS) cooking
grates. You want the Weber with porcelain coated cast iron (PCI) grates for
the far greater searing ability. The SS grates will last longer but many of
us paid $50 to upgrade to the PCI grates. Home Depot now carries the Webers
with PCI grates and also sellsd the grates by themselves. Anyone who says
the SS grates sear well hasn't tried the PCI grates since it's a night and
day difference.

El Penguini 14-06-2004 12:14 AM

purchase help

Hmmm.... IMHO I believe that the Weber is the hands down choice. Find
someone with a 5 year old weber and ask them if they'd buy it again. Now
ask someone with a 5 year old Vermont Castings. YOu can't cause they didn't
exist. And they won't exist in another five years. A weber will let you
buy replacement parts forever. AN important feature in a $500 grill.

Regarding the Cast Iron - not for me personnaly. i bought stainless and
love it.

m...

Edwin Pawlowski 14-06-2004 01:02 AM

purchase help

"El Penguini" > wrote in message

> Hmmm.... IMHO I believe that the Weber is the hands down choice. Find
> someone with a 5 year old weber and ask them if they'd buy it again. Now
> ask someone with a 5 year old Vermont Castings. YOu can't cause they

didn't
> exist.

Mine is six year old. I have one of the non-Home Depot models and it is far
better than Weber IMO. More expensive though.

I'd also look at MHP, www.modernhomeproducts.com Broilmaster, and maybe a
couple of others depending on your needs. I would not buy a grill that does
not h ave an infrared burner for the rotisserie but that may not be
important to you. Same with a side burner.

Weber is good, but there are some very competitive brands that have been
around for many years. Try looking at places aside from the big box stores.
Propane dealers and outdoor living places carry some of the high quality
brands. Many people have never heard of Ellipse, Beefeater, Sunshine, etc.
They are well built grills that will last a lifetime.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Steve S 14-06-2004 01:45 AM

purchase help

>Home Depot now carries the Webers
>with PCI grates and also sellsd the grates by themselves. Anyone who says
>the SS grates sear well hasn't tried the PCI grates since it's a night and
>day difference.

Yep, same opinion here. I'm one of the guys who paid $50 to get the PCI grates.

Jason 14-06-2004 03:15 AM

purchase help

> Hmmm.... IMHO I believe that the Weber is the hands down choice. Find
> someone with a 5 year old weber and ask them if they'd buy it again. Now
> ask someone with a 5 year old Vermont Castings. YOu can't cause they

didn't
> exist. And they won't exist in another five years. A weber will let you
> buy replacement parts forever. AN important feature in a $500 grill.
>
> Regarding the Cast Iron - not for me personnaly. i bought stainless and
> love it.

"Forgive him Lord, for he knows not what he says."

Agreed on the Weber, and I own a Silver B myself I bought in 1999.

But as for the stainless steel cooking grates ... you only love them because
you don't know any better. All of us who upgraded to the PCI grates agree
it's a night and day difference. It's not so much that the SS grates are
bad, but rather that the PCI grates are sp much better. It's a thermal amss
thing: the SS grates weigh a couple pounds each while the PCI grates weigh
about 10 pounds for the pair. The problem with the thin SS grates is they
don't hold much heat and cool rapidly when you toss a steak on them.

The SS grates will last longer but the economy isn't a strong arghument. In
10 years you'll go through 2 sets of PCI while the SS grates will last 10
years. So you save $50 in 10 years which works out to $5 a year. Actually it
might even be lower or none at all since with the PCI you don't need as hot
of a fire for some cooks.

That said I did replace my Flavorizer bars with SS when the old ones rusted
through.

It's kind of a shame the Webers last so long since it's going to be a harder
argument to the wife to buy a $2500 TEC when our Weber is still going
strong.

jdoe 14-06-2004 11:57 AM

purchase help

You can't go wrong with the Weber. You'll see advice to look at this or that
shiny chinese import because it has this bell and or whistle. Been there
done that myself NEVER again! Some have IR rotisserie burners (don't waste
your money). A weber with a rotis. kit will turn out superior rotis over the
IR burner EVERY time. A side burner may or may not be important. I use mine
quite a bit. SS or CI grates is up to you. I have NO problem searing
ANYTHING with my SS but I do know the benefit of CI.. I just haven't found
an overwhelming need to go out and drop the $50 over my currnet SS ones to
get them. Some will also say to go to propane dealers, or garden stores etc.
and drop big coin on Broilmaster, PCG, etc. I looked at them and cannot see
what the rave is. Built like a Sunbeam Fiesta's to me. Plus the reason they
don't sell Weber (or push them if they do) is because the profit margin is
not nearly as great to them. A weber is a commitment it'll be with you a
long time. Sometimes longer than a wife ;-) Hopefully I'll be able to peddle
my nice shiny one and get the Summit I KNEW I should have bought in the
first place :-(
Larry

Jason in Dallas 14-06-2004 02:20 PM

purchase help

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> I have NO problem searing ANYTHING with my SS but I do know the benefit of

CI. I just haven't found
> an overwhelming need to go out and drop the $50 over my currnet SS ones to

get them.

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd tried it both ways. I used to say the
same thing until I upgraded, and the first time I cooked on the
porcelainized cast iron grates I was kicking myself for not getting them
years ago.

cl 14-06-2004 02:55 PM

purchase help

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "jdoe" > wrote in message
> > I have NO problem searing ANYTHING with my SS but I do know the benefit of

> CI. I just haven't found
> > an overwhelming need to go out and drop the $50 over my currnet SS ones to

> get them.
>
> You wouldn't be saying that if you'd tried it both ways. I used to say the
> same thing until I upgraded, and the first time I cooked on the
> porcelainized cast iron grates I was kicking myself for not getting them
> years ago.

Jason, most people just don't realize that they can make the same
difference of having a grill putting out a couple hundred more degrees
of temperature.

It is just like a CI pan is as good as a 1500deg radiant burner for
searing meat.(It is only when you are dealing with bone in steaks that
you can't effectively use the cast iron pan).

-CAL

jdoe 15-06-2004 12:06 PM

purchase help

LIke I said I'm not discounting CI I just have better things to do with $50
right now. When I "feel the need" I'll do it.
Larry
m...

Dick Wiegand 15-06-2004 11:03 PM

purchase help

Paul wrote:

> We're looking for a propane grill in the $500 to $600 range.
>
> We've seen the Vermont Castings at Home Depot and that was our initial
> choice, either the $400 three burner model or the $600 four burner
> model.
>
> After reading everything here, and the FAQ, we looked at the Weber line
> up this morning. We liked the Weber Genesis Gold B for $549. Stainless
> steel grates and flavorizer bars. 36,000 BTUs, three burners.
>
> Anything else we should consider or look at? Thanks in advance.

4 years ago I was ready to buy a Weber, and just happened to look at
Sears. 4 cast iron burners (front to back orientation) which in my opion
give more flexibility than Weber offers. PCI grates, very heavy SS
"flavorizer" grates, and it was on sale for $100 less then Weber. Also has
enclosed base, with better/bigger casters/wheels.

DW