TF

Default Lp or Natural Costs

I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a little
help with the math.

Here are the details:

Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00

Cost to convert grill: about $100
Cost to install line: about $100

Given this - I am trying to figure out how much it costs me for natural gas
compared to a tank of propane to see how long it will take to re-coup my
costs.

Anyone good with the math on this one?? THX!

Wayne

"TF" > wrote in
:

> I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a
> little help with the math.
>
> Here are the details:
>
> Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
> Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00
>
> Cost to convert grill: about $100
> Cost to install line: about $100
>
> Given this - I am trying to figure out how much it costs me for
> natural gas compared to a tank of propane to see how long it will take
> to re-coup my costs.
>
> Anyone good with the math on this one?? THX!

I'm no good at calculating things like this, but I can get my 20lb
propane tank filled for ~$8.00. Why swap?

We have a propane grill and propane patio heater. We have three
tanks...one as a spare.

I like the fact that both these appliances are portable and I can use
them wherever is most convenient. Of the two natural gas grills I once
owned, one was pole mounted and totally unmovable, the other was tethered
by a 12ft flexible gas hose which still didn't offer much flexibility.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
TF

True, but where I live it would take me about an hour total to drive to have
it filled in a not so nice part of town. I can swap it for $16 at the local
grocery so it is worth the extra $8. That is part of the reason I would
like to go Natural. It is such a pain to go swap it out.

As far as the portability, I have used my grill twice in ten years away from
my patio spot. Not a big deal to keep it portable.

thanks for the reply!

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "TF" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a
> > little help with the math.
> >
> > Here are the details:
> >
> > Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
> > Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00
> >
> > Cost to convert grill: about $100
> > Cost to install line: about $100
> >
> > Given this - I am trying to figure out how much it costs me for
> > natural gas compared to a tank of propane to see how long it will take
> > to re-coup my costs.
> >
> > Anyone good with the math on this one?? THX!
> >

> I'm no good at calculating things like this, but I can get my 20lb
> propane tank filled for ~$8.00. Why swap?
>
> We have a propane grill and propane patio heater. We have three
> tanks...one as a spare.
>
> I like the fact that both these appliances are portable and I can use
> them wherever is most convenient. Of the two natural gas grills I once
> owned, one was pole mounted and totally unmovable, the other was tethered
> by a 12ft flexible gas hose which still didn't offer much flexibility.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

Edwin Pawlowski

"TF" > wrote in message
> I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a

little
> help with the math.
>
> Here are the details:
>
> Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
> Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00

It is not about math as much as it is about convenience. I can fill a tank
for $8, but I'd switch to NG today if it was available. Propane is 91,044
Btu per gallon or 2519 per cubic foot Natural gas is about 1,000 Btu per
cubic foot. IIRC a tank holds 4+ gallons of propane.

The first time you run out of propane in the middle of grilling steak, you
will call the gas man.
Ed

Wayne

You have good reasons to switch which you didn't stipulate in your original
post. Given those conditions, I'd forget about the calculations and switch
to natural.

Wayne

"TF" > wrote in
:

> True, but where I live it would take me about an hour total to drive
> to have it filled in a not so nice part of town. I can swap it for
> $16 at the local grocery so it is worth the extra $8. That is part of
> the reason I would like to go Natural. It is such a pain to go swap
> it out.
>
> As far as the portability, I have used my grill twice in ten years
> away from my patio spot. Not a big deal to keep it portable.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

Wayne

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "TF" > wrote in message
>> I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a

> little
>> help with the math.
>>
>> Here are the details:
>>
>> Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
>> Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00

> It is not about math as much as it is about convenience. I can fill a
> tank for $8, but I'd switch to NG today if it was available. Propane
> is 91,044 Btu per gallon or 2519 per cubic foot Natural gas is about
> 1,000 Btu per cubic foot. IIRC a tank holds 4+ gallons of propane.
>
> The first time you run out of propane in the middle of grilling steak,
> you will call the gas man.
> Ed

That's why I always have a spare tank handy, Ed. In all the years I've
used propane, I've only had to switch tanks in mid-stream twice. Not all
that inconvenient for me.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:02:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"TF" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I am thinking on converting my grill to Natural Gas, but would like a

>little
>> help with the math.
>>
>> Here are the details:
>>
>> Cost per therm of Natural: about .60
>> Cost per 20lb propane swap: $16.00

>It is not about math as much as it is about convenience. I can fill a tank
>for $8, but I'd switch to NG today if it was available. Propane is 91,044
>Btu per gallon or 2519 per cubic foot Natural gas is about 1,000 Btu per
>cubic foot. IIRC a tank holds 4+ gallons of propane.
>
>The first time you run out of propane in the middle of grilling steak, you
>will call the gas man.
>Ed

I've used Nat Gas across my last three homes. I requested for a line
to be strung at my current home as part 'of the deal'. It cost me
Bupkes.. I use it to fire lump on my #7.

Harry