Dimitri

Default Jerky (experiment)

Last week Vons (Safeway) had "London Broil" (top round) on sale in the
family pack 2 4+ pound packages later I decided to continue with my jerky
experimentation using a Char Broil Water Smoker (Electric)

Here's how it went.

1. Partially freeze the beef
2. Trim and slice into strips about 1/4 inch thick as best you can.
3. Lightly pound each strip with a metal meat tenderizer (flat metal
hammer with points).
4. Marinate overnight in the fridge in the following:

1 1/2 cup Lee & Perrins
1 1/2 cup Soy sauce.
1 T Garlic powder
2 T Granulated Onion ( Ok I like onion)
3 Packets of Splenda
1 1/2 t. Black Pepper
1 t Pico De Gallo (dried ground Mexican red chilies) I suppose
Cayenne is the same.

5. About 6 AM I found every rack in the house and laid out the beef onto
the 2 smoker racks +.
6. Loaded the smoker and removed the water pan (well the pan came out
first)
7. The very top rack (2 oven racks set at 90 degrees to each other) sat
on top of the smoker so the lid would not seat.
8. Added 1 large chunks of mesquite onto the coil. set the lid on top of
the racks then placed 4 (each at 90 degrees to each other) wooden chopsticks
to raise the barrel a little on the bottom to allow air to circulate.
9. Set an instant read into the top rack so the face was showing.
10. Turned the thermostat to low until the circulating air/smoke read a
little over 100.
11. Went to a party (one more chunk of wood before I left) - came back
around 8:30 to perfectly dried and not cooked jerky.

Tasty!

Better than the last several batches - nice texture and flavor.

Dimitri

Dirty Harry

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...
> Last week Vons (Safeway) had "London Broil" (top round) on sale in the
> family pack 2 4+ pound packages later I decided to continue with my

jerky
> experimentation using a Char Broil Water Smoker (Electric)
>
> Here's how it went.
>
> 1. Partially freeze the beef
> 2. Trim and slice into strips about 1/4 inch thick as best you can.
> 3. Lightly pound each strip with a metal meat tenderizer (flat metal
> hammer with points).
> 4. Marinate overnight in the fridge in the following:
>
> 1 1/2 cup Lee & Perrins
> 1 1/2 cup Soy sauce.
> 1 T Garlic powder
> 2 T Granulated Onion ( Ok I like onion)
> 3 Packets of Splenda
> 1 1/2 t. Black Pepper
> 1 t Pico De Gallo (dried ground Mexican red chilies) I suppose
> Cayenne is the same.
>
> 5. About 6 AM I found every rack in the house and laid out the beef

onto
> the 2 smoker racks +.
> 6. Loaded the smoker and removed the water pan (well the pan came out
> first)
> 7. The very top rack (2 oven racks set at 90 degrees to each other) sat
> on top of the smoker so the lid would not seat.
> 8. Added 1 large chunks of mesquite onto the coil. set the lid on top

of
> the racks then placed 4 (each at 90 degrees to each other) wooden

chopsticks
> to raise the barrel a little on the bottom to allow air to circulate.
> 9. Set an instant read into the top rack so the face was showing.
> 10. Turned the thermostat to low until the circulating air/smoke read a
> little over 100.
> 11. Went to a party (one more chunk of wood before I left) - came back
> around 8:30 to perfectly dried and not cooked jerky.
>
> Tasty!
>
> Better than the last several batches - nice texture and flavor.
>
> Dimitri

Jerkey! what a good idea, was that 100F or 100C?? Do I need to cold smoke
jerkey or can I do it on my BBQ with one burner on low and the jerkey on the
other side? I don't think I saw anything about jerkey on the FAQ. Please
help I'm dying to try this tommorow! Cheap cut suggestions?
Thanks,
Harry

Dimitri

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Last week Vons (Safeway) had "London Broil" (top round) on sale in the
> > family pack 2 4+ pound packages later I decided to continue with my

> jerky
> > experimentation using a Char Broil Water Smoker (Electric)
> >
> > Here's how it went.
> >
> > 1. Partially freeze the beef
> > 2. Trim and slice into strips about 1/4 inch thick as best you can.
> > 3. Lightly pound each strip with a metal meat tenderizer (flat metal
> > hammer with points).
> > 4. Marinate overnight in the fridge in the following:
> >
> > 1 1/2 cup Lee & Perrins
> > 1 1/2 cup Soy sauce.
> > 1 T Garlic powder
> > 2 T Granulated Onion ( Ok I like onion)
> > 3 Packets of Splenda
> > 1 1/2 t. Black Pepper
> > 1 t Pico De Gallo (dried ground Mexican red chilies) I suppose
> > Cayenne is the same.
> >
> > 5. About 6 AM I found every rack in the house and laid out the beef

> onto
> > the 2 smoker racks +.
> > 6. Loaded the smoker and removed the water pan (well the pan came out
> > first)
> > 7. The very top rack (2 oven racks set at 90 degrees to each other)

sat
> > on top of the smoker so the lid would not seat.
> > 8. Added 1 large chunks of mesquite onto the coil. set the lid on top

> of
> > the racks then placed 4 (each at 90 degrees to each other) wooden

> chopsticks
> > to raise the barrel a little on the bottom to allow air to circulate.
> > 9. Set an instant read into the top rack so the face was showing.
> > 10. Turned the thermostat to low until the circulating air/smoke read a
> > little over 100.
> > 11. Went to a party (one more chunk of wood before I left) - came back
> > around 8:30 to perfectly dried and not cooked jerky.
> >
> > Tasty!
> >
> > Better than the last several batches - nice texture and flavor.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> Jerkey! what a good idea, was that 100F or 100C??

100 to 110 F

Do I need to cold smoke jerkey or can I do it on my BBQ with one burner on
low and the jerkey on the
> other side?

The object is to dry the beef and not cook it. I have had the temp too high
before and there is a big difference in texture, mouth feel and taste. If
you can get the grill/bbq low enough and create a "heat powered" convection
you're home free.

>I don't think I saw anything about jerkey on the FAQ. Please help I'm

dying to try this tommorow!

Cool

Cheap cut suggestions?

Once again what is sold here as London broil is nothing more than Tor Round
cut about 3/4 inch thick. The traditional cut used is flank steak but that
runs $4.00 per pound the Londom Broil rind less than $2.00 per pound on
sale.

My pleasure,

Dimitri

cl

Dimitri wrote:

> Last week Vons (Safeway) had "London Broil" (top round) on sale in the
> family pack 2 4+ pound packages later I decided to continue with my jerky
> experimentation using a Char Broil Water Smoker (Electric)
>
> Here's how it went.
>
> 1. Partially freeze the beef
> 2. Trim and slice into strips about 1/4 inch thick as best you can.
> 3. Lightly pound each strip with a metal meat tenderizer (flat metal
> hammer with points).
> 4. Marinate overnight in the fridge in the following:
>
> 1 1/2 cup Lee & Perrins
> 1 1/2 cup Soy sauce.
> 1 T Garlic powder
> 2 T Granulated Onion ( Ok I like onion)
> 3 Packets of Splenda
> 1 1/2 t. Black Pepper
> 1 t Pico De Gallo (dried ground Mexican red chilies) I suppose
> Cayenne is the same.

I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster
unless you take the meat past 160.

Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.

-CAL
Dimitri

"cl" > wrote in message
<snip>

>> I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster

> unless you take the meat past 160.
>
> Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.
>
> -CAL

http://ks.essortment.com/howmaketodrie_rjtz.htm

dry curing meat

dry curing meat and jerky by following these few steps.

Jerky is dried meat or fish. Drying food isnt something new to our day. It
is possibly the oldest way of preserving food. Jerky dates back to the
earliest civilizations. Explorers, trappers, hunters, Indian tribes, and
settlers in this country used jerky in the early years of our country.

It is still used today by people from all walks of life from country hikers
to city bikers. The word jerky comes from the Spanish word "charqui" (dried
meat), which itself comes from an Incan word.

Jerky is most commonly made from beef, but can also be made from elk,
buffalo, moose, caribou, fish, or deer (venison). In early days, it was
usually dried over a small fire after being soaked in brine, which is a
mixture of salt and water. Hickory wood was preferred to help keep insects
away and for flavoring of the meat. Making jerky when windy was a plus
because it helped keep the flies away from the meat.

Although jerky can still be made in this way, techniques have become more
sophisticated in our day. Even with new techniques the basic method is still
the same. Drying food is accomplished by removing moisture from the food by
temperature increases and flowing air. The control of both the temperature
and the airflow is very important. If the humidity is too high and the
temperature is too low, the jerky will dry too slowly and it could spoil. If
the temperature is too high, the jerky will cook too fast, harden on the
outside but underneath not be dry, and once again, it could spoil.

Jerky is easily made. Three common methods are drying in a dehydrator, in
the sun, or in on oven. The most convenient is oven drying. Make jerky by
removing the fat and muscle from cheap cut of mean. Cut the meat into strips
that are inch thick and 1 inch wide. Cut along the grain and not across it.
The meat can be seasoned with many different seasonings. Soaking in soy
sauce or teriyaki sauce is a favorite. A mixture of salt, pepper, oregano,
marjoram, basil and thyme is tasty. Many seasonings work well. It is a
personal preference. Dry seasoning mixtures need to be pounded into the meat
for best results. Many people enjoy jerky with a lot of pepper. You will
need to experiment to find your favorites.

Preheat your oven to 120 degrees. After the meat is seasoned, spread the
meat evenly on wire racks in the oven. Try not to have the meat pieces touch
each other. You can use metal racks other than the oven racks with a cookie
sheet underneath to make cleanup much faster. Also a nonstick spray lightly
sprayed on the racks makes for easier cleanup. Leave the oven door open
slightly to permit moisture to escape. Jerky takes about 10 hours. It is
done when it is flexible and able to bend, but is shriveled up and very
dark. As jerky cools, it will get more stiff and brittle so you dont want to
over dry. Most commonly jerky is eaten dry but it can also be reconstituted
in soups and stews. A rule of thumb is 4 pounds of meat for every one pound
of jerky. When circumstances are right, leaving jerky in the oven overnight
is productive. Caution should be given if you have children or pets.

Enjoy your homemade jerky! It stores well and is a great source of protein.

cl

Dimitri wrote:

> "cl" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> >> I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster

> > unless you take the meat past 160.
> >
> > Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.
> >
> > -CAL

> http://ks.essortment.com/howmaketodrie_rjtz.htm
>
> dry curing meat

You might wish to revise your information source as I'd hate to see you
(or others) get sick or die. You are keeping meat in the prime danger
zone for way too long. A cure will keep you safe.

google on jerky bacteria death
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...bacteria+death

USDA Consumer Education and Information: Food Safety Of Jerky
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/jerky.htm

-CAL

cl > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster
> unless you take the meat past 160.
>
> Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.

Gawd! I am so lucky that in 40 years of Sun drying my jerky I've never
gotten sick from it! Thank you Lawd!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
cl

> wrote in message
> cl > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster
> > unless you take the meat past 160.
> >
> > Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.
> >

> Gawd! I am so lucky that in 40 years of Sun drying my jerky I've never
> gotten sick from it! Thank you Lawd!

Sun exposure is not a good environment for bacteria breeding, a moist 100
degree dark oven is.

so if this doesn't mean anything to you, oh well.

"cl" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > cl > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > I don't see any cure in that recipe. That is a recipe for disaster
> > > unless you take the meat past 160.
> > >
> > > Be careful or else you will get awefully sick.
> > >

> > Gawd! I am so lucky that in 40 years of Sun drying my jerky I've never
> > gotten sick from it! Thank you Lawd!

> Sun exposure is not a good environment for bacteria breeding, a moist
> 100 degree dark oven is.
>
> so if this doesn't mean anything to you, oh well.
>
> USDA Consumer Education and Information: Food Safety Of Jerky
> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/jerky.htm

Aha! So that's the secret. Don't inoculate yer meat with e. coli! And cook
everything well done, just to be on the safe side. Ho hum.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
cl

> wrote in message
> "cl" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message

> > > Gawd! I am so lucky that in 40 years of Sun drying my jerky I've never
> > > gotten sick from it! Thank you Lawd!

> > Sun exposure is not a good environment for bacteria breeding, a moist
> > 100 degree dark oven is.
> >
> > so if this doesn't mean anything to you, oh well.
> >
> > USDA Consumer Education and Information: Food Safety Of Jerky
> > http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/jerky.htm

> Aha! So that's the secret. Don't inoculate yer meat with e. coli! And cook
> everything well done, just to be on the safe side. Ho hum.

read closer, if no cure is used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
you must cook to be safe. I personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky because
it would be like going to the local cheap steak joint.

-CAL

"cl" > wrote:
> []if no cure is used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect)
> then you must cook to be safe. I personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky
> because it would be like going to the local cheap steak joint.

I must be French. I give up.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Charles Demas

In article >,
cl > wrote:

> wrote in message

>> > Sun exposure is not a good environment for bacteria breeding, a moist
>> > 100 degree dark oven is.
>> >
>> > so if this doesn't mean anything to you, oh well.
>> >
>> > USDA Consumer Education and Information: Food Safety Of Jerky
>> > http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/jerky.htm

>> Aha! So that's the secret. Don't inoculate yer meat with e. coli! And cook
>> everything well done, just to be on the safe side. Ho hum.

>read closer, if no cure is used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
>you must cook to be safe.

You should read closer!

Those recommendations were for ground meat jerky.

If you're making beef jerky at home, and you cut your meat into strips,
then the chances of e.coli being there is minimal to begin with.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Monroe, of course...

In article >, (Charles
Demas) wrote:

> In article >,
> cl > wrote:
> >
> > wrote in message

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/jerky.htm

> >> Aha! So that's the secret. Don't inoculate yer meat with e. coli! And cook
> >> everything well done, just to be on the safe side. Ho hum.

> >read closer, if no cure is used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
> >you must cook to be safe.

> You should read closer!
>
> Those recommendations were for ground meat jerky.
>
> If you're making beef jerky at home, and you cut your meat into strips,
> then the chances of e.coli being there is minimal to begin with.

Is this the same cl(it) that chided everyone else for their poor
reading comprehension? Huh! Maybe his own brain is c(oliform)l(aden)
and could use a few hours in an oven for safety's sake.....

monroe(c(honically)l(aughing))
cl

"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
> >read closer, if no cure is used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect)

then
> >you must cook to be safe.

> You should read closer!
>
> Those recommendations were for ground meat jerky.
>
> If you're making beef jerky at home, and you cut your meat into strips,
> then the chances of e.coli being there is minimal to begin with.

No chuck (seems you have a reason to think of ground beef first), it is
about all forms of jerky. The second you marinade, the e.coli contamination
is increased considerably because the exterior bacteria is exposed to the
interior(you just cut it).

Chuck,

"In the jerky studies, some samples showed total bacterial destruction and
other samples showed some bacterial survival - especially the jerky made
with ground beef. Further experiments with lab-inoculated venison showed
that pathogenic E. coli could survive drying times of up to 10 hours and
temperatures of up to 145 °F."

It appears you consider "especially the jerky made with ground beef" as an
exclusionary statement.

-CAL

cl

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message

> Is this the same cl(it) that chided everyone else for their poor
> reading comprehension? Huh! Maybe his own brain is c(oliform)l(aden)
> and could use a few hours in an oven for safety's sake.....
>
> monroe(c(honically)l(aughing))

Dipshit Monroe, you might want to read the multiple links yourself if you
think that marinade (not cured) meat is safe when held at 100degree
temperatures for many hours. This is what you are supporting by chidding me
on this.

-CAL

cl

> wrote in message
> I was just struck by the fact that on the one hand he/she/it says,
> ". . . you must cook to be safe" and in the next breath says, "I

personally
> wouldn't touch cooked jerky!"

I guess you are such a dumbass that the fact you clipped "if no cure is used
(mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
" would escape you that the meaning is changed.

Pure and simple idiot you are nick. Be a man and admit your err.

-CAL

"cl" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > I was just struck by the fact that on the one hand he/she/it says,
> > ". . . you must cook to be safe" and in the next breath says, "I
> > personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky!"

> I guess you are such a dumbass that the fact you clipped "if no cure is
> used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
> " would escape you that the meaning is changed.
>
> Pure and simple idiot you are nick. Be a man and admit your err.

Doesn't change the fact that you said, without a "if no cure is used"
disclaimer, "I personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky!"

But you're right, I am a pure and simple idiot and despite wearing a
pakhama, a man. I admit the error of thinking that you were worth debating
with. Go **** yerself, asshole!

PS I wasn't talking to ya, I was talking aboutcha.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
cl

wrote:

> "cl" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > > I was just struck by the fact that on the one hand he/she/it says,
> > > ". . . you must cook to be safe" and in the next breath says, "I
> > > personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky!"

> > I guess you are such a dumbass that the fact you clipped "if no cure is
> > used (mortons quicktender, citric acid ect) then
> > " would escape you that the meaning is changed.
> > Pure and simple idiot you are nick. Be a man and admit your err.
> >

> Doesn't change the fact that you said, without a "if no cure is used"
> disclaimer, "I personally wouldn't touch cooked jerky!"

Use that wee bit of intellect and make the logical connection: since
jerky is not safe without using cure or cooking, and cooking will change
the results to the point that the resulting "jerky" is not very good, I
would use cure to make jerky.

Not a hard conclusion for a 96pointer to make.

> But you're right, I am a pure and simple idiot and despite wearing a
> pakhama, a man. I admit the error of thinking that you were worth debating
> with. Go **** yerself, asshole!
> PS I wasn't talking to ya, I was talking aboutcha.

Nor were you trying to debate me or else your top most comment would
have been directed toward me. You tried to take the pussy route of
trying to jump on the bash cl bandwagon, and still fell on your ass
without anyone but my favorite eunuch 'net stalker Monroe to brush you
off.

-CAL
Jack Curry

Nick speaks the truth,

" I admit the error of thinking that you were worth
debating with. Go **** yerself, asshole!"

Show cl(it) your killfile, Nick. Leave him and his new butt-buddy Kunt to
each other.

Jack

cl

Jack Curry wrote:

> Nick speaks the truth,
>
> " I admit the error of thinking that you were worth
> debating with. Go **** yerself, asshole!"
>
> Show cl(it) your killfile, Nick. Leave him and his new butt-buddy Kunt to
> each other.
>
> Jack

I'm sorry Jack, I thought that <plonk> sound I heard from you was you
killfiling me. Apparently it was you pulling your head out of your ass
ad infintium instead.

-CAL

cl > wrote:
> n[]You tried to take the pussy route of
> trying to jump on the bash cl bandwagon, and still fell on your ass
> without anyone but my favorite eunuch 'net stalker Monroe to brush you
> off.

Here's the big difference, moron: I've had debates, arguments and
disagreements with Monroe and many of the others here, but they have always
been congenial, respectful, humorous and friendly. You, on the other hand,
have proven yourself to be an ill-mannered, uneducated lout, incapable of
anything besides ad hominum attacks! Take comfort in knowing that, despite
this, I feel sorry for you.

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Nick speaks the truth,
>
> " I admit the error of thinking that you were worth
> debating with. Go **** yerself, asshole!"
>
> Show cl(it) your killfile, Nick. Leave him and his new butt-buddy Kunt
> to each other.

I've never killfiled anyone, Jack, although there are several worthy of the
distinction. I kinda feel like if I *killfile* them, I'm giving them more
stature in a NG I luv. I will NOT give up my NGs to these sorry *******s.
So on occasion, I will simply make my point that they are acting like
morons. They don't like it? Shape up or ship out! Them heaping their abuse
on me is like tryin' ta **** up a rope. Like I shiv a git!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
BOB

___________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do |
/ O O\__ NOT |
/ \ feed the |
/ \ \ trolls |
/ _ \ \ ______________|
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ \ __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

cl

> wrote :
> >

> Here's the big difference, moron: I've had debates, arguments and
> disagreements with Monroe and many of the others here, but they have

always
> been congenial, respectful, humorous and friendly. You, on the other hand,
> have proven yourself to be an ill-mannered, uneducated lout, incapable of
> anything besides ad hominum attacks! Take comfort in knowing that, despite
> this, I feel sorry for you.

You were the first one in this argument to **** on someones leg with
disrepectful speak in a smartassed tone:

"Gawd! I am so lucky that in 40 years of Sun drying my jerky I've never
gotten sick from it! Thank you Lawd!"

Now Nick, you set the precedential tone of this thread by being anything but
"congenial, respectful, humorous and friendly"

I offered information for someone to be careful when drying meat at such low
temps without a cure. You then responded like an ass.

Don't make yourself out as an innocent here, you started it.

-CAL

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> []when you respond to a dolt like cl(it), I see his drivel along with
> your response, even though I chose to kill the twit.
> I can live with that and it's no big deal, but I guess you'd agree that
> it's nicer around here when we don't have to suffer fools.

My apologies, Jack. I hear you.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/

And one more jerky! La Mirada General Cooking 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
And one more jerky! La Mirada Barbecue 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
Jerky? claudel Preserving 16 26-03-2005 02:10 AM
Jerky? claudel Preserving 0 25-03-2005 06:01 PM
Jerky (experiment) Dimitri General Cooking 5 11-06-2004 06:44 PM