Stephen Russell

Default Brine & Salmon = salty aftertaste

I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never experience
again.

Basic procedure is :

Buy as fresh as possible.
Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
Grand Mariner over top
Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.

Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>

Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.

Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.

Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.

What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?

TIA

__Stephen

Jack Curry

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in
message news
> I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never
experience
> again.
>
> Basic procedure is :
>
> Buy as fresh as possible.
> Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
> Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
> Grand Mariner over top
> Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.
>
> Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>
>
> Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.
>
> Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.
>
> Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.
>
> What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?
>
> TIA
>
> __Stephen

If you're not happy with the end result, try skipping the brine and just hot
smoke the fish. Warm the filets at room temp to allow a pellicle to form,
s&p or season to your liking, then smoke it. You don't *have* to brine in
order to smoke fish.

Jack Curry

JakBQuik

You don't *have* to brine in
> order to smoke fish.
>
> Jack Curry

What Jack said!.....I choose not to BTW..lotsa neat spices to do their
goodness yet...eh?

John in Austin

BOB

JakBQuik wrote:
> You don't *have* to brine in
>> order to smoke fish.
>>
>> Jack Curry
>>

> What Jack said!.....I choose not to BTW..lotsa neat spices to do their
> goodness yet...eh?
>
> John in Austin

What Jack and John said.

IIRC, brining fish (with a very salty brine) was more for preserving the fish
than what you are probably trying to do. I'm guessing that you are going for
taste, not preservation?

Use your spices of choice.

BOB

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "JakBQuik"
> wrote:

> You don't *have* to brine in
> > order to smoke fish.
> >
> > Jack Curry
> >

> What Jack said!.....I choose not to BTW..lotsa neat spices to do their
> goodness yet...eh?

If I do anything at all to salmon besides S&P, I use a dark rum based
marinade of some kind or even bottled dressing-whether I'm doin it
lo-n-slo at 200F or grilled at 450F. I tried brining once and was truly
duly unimpressed. Sure, Good Eats gives good advice most of the
time-but-I think Alton Brown was way way off this time in choosing
brines over marinades as a prep for salmon.

monroe(AB suh-wings and he misses!)

BurbankTony

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in message >.. .
> I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never experience
> again.
>
> Basic procedure is :
>
> Buy as fresh as possible.
> Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
> Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
> Grand Mariner over top
> Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.
>
> Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>
>
> Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.
>
> Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.
>
> Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.
>
> What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?
>
> TIA
>
> __Stephen

I use 3/4 cup of kosher salt per 1 gallon of water, some brown
sugar,and lemon juice. Brine for a couple of hours. Remove salmon and
rinse very good under cold running water to remove salt, maybe twice.
Pat dry with paper towels and place on a rack to air dry for about 1/2
hour. This should help get rid of the salty taste.

I am in shape. Round is a shape.
James Emanuel

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in
message news
> I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never
experience
> again.
>
> Basic procedure is :
>
> Buy as fresh as possible.
> Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
> Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
> Grand Mariner over top
> Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.
>
> Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>
>
> Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.
>
> Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.
>
> Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.
>
> What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?
>
> TIA
>
> __Stephen

Fish Brine

1 gal water
2 c kosher salt
1 c brown sugar
choice of flavorings (garlic, ginger, pepper, 5-spice, etc.)

brine for about 3 hours, you will notice a change in texture of the fish

rinse and air dry on racks with a fan blowing air on the fish for about an
hour untill a pellicle (shell-like sticky layer)forms

smoke at low temps untill 140 degrees internal temp

A good resource is:

http://www.3men.com/

James Emanuel

cl

"Monroe, of course..." wrote:

> In article >, "JakBQuik"
> > wrote:
>
> > You don't *have* to brine in
> > > order to smoke fish.
> > >
> > > Jack Curry
> > >

> > What Jack said!.....I choose not to BTW..lotsa neat spices to do their
> > goodness yet...eh?
> >

> If I do anything at all to salmon besides S&P, I use a dark rum based
> marinade of some kind or even bottled dressing-whether I'm doin it
> lo-n-slo at 200F or grilled at 450F. I tried brining once and was truly
> duly unimpressed. Sure, Good Eats gives good advice most of the
> time-but-I think Alton Brown was way way off this time in choosing
> brines over marinades as a prep for salmon.
>
> monroe(AB suh-wings and he misses!)

I'd listen to monroe in this thread. He is probably experienced at
"salty aftertaste"

Salmon is one of those things that is best when done with a minimalist
attitude. Salt, pepper,olive oil and a little garlic right before
tossing it onto the fire. Skin on of course because the fat is to
precious to lose

-CAL
cl

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:03:29 GMT, cl >
> wrote:
>
> >I'd listen to monroe in this thread. He is probably experienced at
> >"salty aftertaste"

> I don't read all the posts, but all of your posts have this ****y
> "**** you" tone to them.

Steve, that wasn't meant to be rough, hence the smiley. I really do not
have any animosity toward Monroe or anyone else here. I feel I do have a
bit more freedom in kidding with Monroe given his posts. Even so, they
are all in jest and I hope he doesn't take it to heart(he is actually a
lucky guy to have a women who enjoys bbqing).

I've enjoyed cooking, bbqing and grilling for many years and enjoy
discussing and reading about it. Inspite my my fairly argumentative tone
on the hot topics, I've actually learned a few things here...especially
in regard to (hear this) ceramic cookers. (Dave yah listening <VBG> )

Its all about sharing and learning about something that is dear in your
heart. Usenet just happens to be the medium and sometimes takes on the
personality of a game. I know you recognize that aspect as well.

-CAL
Kent H.

If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

Jack Curry wrote:

> "Stephen Russell" > wrote in
> message news
> > I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never

> experience
> > again.
> >
> > Basic procedure is :
> >
> > Buy as fresh as possible.
> > Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
> > Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
> > Grand Mariner over top
> > Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.
> >
> > Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>
> >
> > Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.
> >
> > Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.
> >
> > Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.
> >
> > What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > __Stephen
> >

> If you're not happy with the end result, try skipping the brine and just hot
> smoke the fish. Warm the filets at room temp to allow a pellicle to form,
> s&p or season to your liking, then smoke it. You don't *have* to brine in
> order to smoke fish.
>
> Jack Curry

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

Holy shit.

Kent, when you I first saw your posts I really thought you were a
troll, and it was because of posts like this. After awhile I
began to think you actually meant at least some what you say.
Now I'm back to wondering, and I'm starting to think you're just
nuts.

It's always entertaining in any case.

BOB

Reg wrote:
> Kent H. wrote:
>
>> If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

> Holy shit.
>
> Kent, when you I first saw your posts I really thought you were a
> troll, and it was because of posts like this. After awhile I
> began to think you actually meant at least some what you say.
> Now I'm back to wondering, and I'm starting to think you're just
> nuts.
>
> It's always entertaining in any case.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

I really wonder what Kent's smokin'. Dale (I think?) keeps reminding us that
Kent says he keeps his thawed chickens in his garage. Maybe he really does, and
that's what altered his brain cells?

BOB

Kent H.

If you're going to cook at a low enough temperature to qualify as
smoking, you have to do something to preserve the meet while it is
smoking to keep it from spoiling. We use brine for that, or some kind of
dry cure. After that you smoke, and then you cook. That's what smoking
is all about.
If you don't do that, you aren't smoking, you are cooking!
It appears that you don't have any idea what the **** any of this is all
about. But then again, most posters on this NG don't either.
Up yours, too.
Kent

Reg wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

> Holy shit.
>
> Kent, when you I first saw your posts I really thought you were a
> troll, and it was because of posts like this. After awhile I
> began to think you actually meant at least some what you say.
> Now I'm back to wondering, and I'm starting to think you're just
> nuts.
>
> It's always entertaining in any case.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> If you're going to cook at a low enough temperature to qualify as
> smoking, you have to do something to preserve the meet while it is
> smoking to keep it from spoiling. We use brine for that, or some kind of
> dry cure. After that you smoke, and then you cook. That's what smoking
> is all about.
> If you don't do that, you aren't smoking, you are cooking!
> It appears that you don't have any idea what the **** any of this is all
> about. But then again, most posters on this NG don't either.

Ah, I see. This goes back to your assertion that cooking and
smoking can't occur at the same time, lest it can no longer properly
be called smoking. As I remember it, when asked what smoking
at cooking temperatures is called (what regular people call "hot
smoking"), you said something like "adding wood flavor".

The thing is, even using your completely whacked definition
of smoking (what regular people call "cold smoking"), there are
all kinds of situations that don't require brines. I cold smoke
steaks for an hour or so and it's perfectly safe. As long as the
meat isn't in the danger zone for more than 2 hours it's not
an issue. Cold smoking meat within certain limits does not require
cures or brines. And I suppose I have to brine my cheese before I
cold smoke that, too? Poof goes your theory.

> Up yours, too.

Ouch.

cl

"Kent H." wrote:

> If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

Do what?

cl

"Kent H." wrote:
> If you're going to cook at a low enough temperature to qualify as
> smoking, you have to do something to preserve the meet while it is
> smoking to keep it from spoiling. We use brine for that, or some kind of
> dry cure. After that you smoke, and then you cook. That's what smoking
> is all about.

Sheew, that sounds a little better. I wasn't following you either.

However, the nitrates in the smoke will work alone without cure because
the inside of the meet will seldom be exposed to bacteria. Also, just
because you brine doesn't mean you are protecing the meat. HCL along
isnt an effective cure.

-CAL (now waiting for the peanut galleries comments)
cl

Reg wrote:
> As long as the
> meat isn't in the danger zone for more than 2 hours it's not
> an issue.

Well, don't tell that to Nick Cramer. He doesn't have that problem of
the 'danger zone' because it has never been an issue in 40 years for
him.

-CAL
WebKatz

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in message >.. .
> I keep getting a salt flavor on my salmon that I'd like to never experience
> again.
>
> Basic procedure is :
>
> Buy as fresh as possible.
> Pull out bones using the mixing bowl trick
> Brine of Salt (1/2 lb for a 4# filet) + 1 crushed juniper berry + dash of
> Grand Mariner over top
> Brine for 2hrs or 4 depending on fluid content I see in brine dish.
>
> Soak for 30 min changing water every 5 min. <temp is tap cold>
>
> Put on smoker along with ribs is lucky enough to have them.
>
> Cooking time around 2-3 hrs @ 200 deg or less.
>
> Wood used is usually Cherry, Apple + Fig.
>
> What can I do to stop the heavy salt after taste?

Sounds like you're applying the salt directly, not soaking the fish in
a brine? If this is the case, I've also had problems with the fish
getting too salty. Try the same amont of salt/spices in a gallon of
water and letting it soak for about 3ish hours. Hope this helps.

So what's the mixing bowl trick?

Thanks,

Dave
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:32:51 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Reg wrote:
>> Kent H. wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't use a brine you aren't smoking. You are cooking.

>> Holy shit.
>>
>> Kent, when you I first saw your posts I really thought you were a
>> troll, and it was because of posts like this. After awhile I
>> began to think you actually meant at least some what you say.
>> Now I'm back to wondering, and I'm starting to think you're just
>> nuts.
>>
>> It's always entertaining in any case.
>>
>> --
>> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

>I really wonder what Kent's smokin'. Dale (I think?) keeps reminding us that
>Kent says he keeps his thawed chickens in his garage. Maybe he really does, and
>that's what altered his brain cells?
>
>BOB

I see that this twit is still around. Maybe I should de-plonk him and
get the entertainment value.

Harry
BOB

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:32:51 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:

>>> Holy shit.
>>>
>>> Kent, when you I first saw your posts I really thought you were a
>>> troll, and it was because of posts like this. After awhile I
>>> began to think you actually meant at least some what you say.
>>> Now I'm back to wondering, and I'm starting to think you're just
>>> nuts.
>>>
>>> It's always entertaining in any case.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

>> I really wonder what Kent's smokin'. Dale (I think?) keeps reminding us that
>> Kent says he keeps his thawed chickens in his garage. Maybe he really does,
>> and that's what altered his brain cells?
>>
>> BOB
>>

> I see that this twit is still around. Maybe I should de-plonk him and
> get the entertainment value.
>
> Harry

Much better than the current "twit" but not worth the effort to de-plonk, IM(not
so)HO

BOB