Dave Bugg

Default A note to newbies, and a big welcome

Hi and a big WELCOME to AFB. :-) In order to get a flavor of what this
newsgroup spends most of its time talking about, please read the FAQ which
is located at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

It is the best single-source document on traditional barbecue that I've yet
to see. And that's what this NG is primarily focused on... traditional
methods of BBQ.

Most of us also use gas grills -- I myself use a Weber Genesis
from time-to-time -- so grilling and other forms of outdoor cooking
are sometimes talked about. It's just not the main focus for most
of us here.

This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and it's
the main theme of this NG. So if you're a griller, and you have a recipe for
ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be surprised or upset if we
attempt to "show you the light". :-)

The FAQ will help you understand the differences between grilling and
barbecue, and why we will try to pull gas-grillers toward the light of real
'Q, and why we may use gentle corrections to wrongly-used terminology.
Hopefully this post will help you avoid getting your feathered underwear
into a ruffled knot, because we really want you to stay. And you may just
decide that you need to set the gasser aside for hot dogs, hamburgers,
and steaks, while picking up a wood-fired pit to 'Q the stuff dreams are
made of.

Best and Warm Regards to y'all. <BG>

HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom or
interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.

Dave

steve

Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is barbecue
just as much as smoking is.
"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Hi and a big WELCOME to AFB. :-) In order to get a flavor of what this
> newsgroup spends most of its time talking about, please read the FAQ which
> is located at:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> It is the best single-source document on traditional barbecue that I've

yet
> to see. And that's what this NG is primarily focused on... traditional
> methods of BBQ.
>
> Most of us also use gas grills -- I myself use a Weber Genesis
> from time-to-time -- so grilling and other forms of outdoor cooking
> are sometimes talked about. It's just not the main focus for most
> of us here.
>
> This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and it's
> the main theme of this NG. So if you're a griller, and you have a recipe

for
> ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be surprised or upset if

we
> attempt to "show you the light". :-)
>
> The FAQ will help you understand the differences between grilling and
> barbecue, and why we will try to pull gas-grillers toward the light of

real
> 'Q, and why we may use gentle corrections to wrongly-used terminology.
> Hopefully this post will help you avoid getting your feathered underwear
> into a ruffled knot, because we really want you to stay. And you may just
> decide that you need to set the gasser aside for hot dogs, hamburgers,
> and steaks, while picking up a wood-fired pit to 'Q the stuff dreams are
> made of.
>
> Best and Warm Regards to y'all. <BG>
>
> HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom or
> interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.
>
> Dave

JD

You have much to learn, grasshopper, and little inclination to sit at the
feet of the masters. There is no tao in your gas grill and you shall never
know the smoke and magic of true Q. Maybe in your next incarnation you will
learn the tao of Q firsthand as a pig.

JD

"steve" > wrote in message

> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
> barbecue just as much as smoking is.
> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>> Hi and a big WELCOME to AFB. :-) In order to get a flavor of what
>> this newsgroup spends most of its time talking about, please read
>> the FAQ which is located at:
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>>
>> It is the best single-source document on traditional barbecue that
>> I've yet to see. And that's what this NG is primarily focused on...
>> traditional methods of BBQ.
>>
>> Most of us also use gas grills -- I myself use a Weber Genesis
>> from time-to-time -- so grilling and other forms of outdoor cooking
>> are sometimes talked about. It's just not the main focus for most
>> of us here.
>>
>> This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and
>> it's the main theme of this NG. So if you're a griller, and you have
>> a recipe for ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be
>> surprised or upset if we attempt to "show you the light". :-)
>>
>> The FAQ will help you understand the differences between grilling and
>> barbecue, and why we will try to pull gas-grillers toward the light
>> of real 'Q, and why we may use gentle corrections to wrongly-used
>> terminology. Hopefully this post will help you avoid getting your
>> feathered underwear into a ruffled knot, because we really want you
>> to stay. And you may just decide that you need to set the gasser
>> aside for hot dogs, hamburgers, and steaks, while picking up a
>> wood-fired pit to 'Q the stuff dreams are made of.
>>
>> Best and Warm Regards to y'all. <BG>
>>
>> HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom
>> or interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.
>>
>> Dave

Dave Bugg

steve wrote:
> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
> barbecue just as much as smoking is.

Sure it is. And why are you wishing to impose YOUR deinition of BBQ.....
Oh, that's right, you're a troll. Never mind, no need to continue.

"steve" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> [ . . . ]read the FAQ which is located at:
> > http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
> >[ . . . ]
> > This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and
> > it's the main theme of this NG.

> > HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom or
> > interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
> barbecue just as much as smoking is.

Steve, it appears to me that you didn't read Dave's post nor the FAQ. He
didn't seek to impose his definition of BBQ, he pointed out what this NG is
primarily focused on... traditional methods of BBQ. I don't recall any of
the regular posters here disagreeing and if they did, we'd damn well hear
about it! He observed that if you're a griller, and you have a recipe
for ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be surprised or upset
if we attempt to "show you the light". :-) The FAQ will help you
understand the differences between grilling and barbecue. Allez Qzine!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/

frohe

steve wrote:
> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
> barbecue just as much as smoking is.

Ah, grasshopper, you have much to learn.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

cl

"steve" > wrote in message
> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is

barbecue
> just as much as smoking is.

What you don't like Dave's big welcome and self proclaimed truth?

Actually, it is a good thing he is trying to do but the 'group jacking' is a
bit much. The assumption that anyone disagreeing with him or his K' crew is
a gas griller exclusively is really a hoot. Yes smoking (not all forms) and
grilling are barbecue.

-CAL

"cl" > wrote:
> "steve" > wrote in message
> > Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
> > barbecue just as much as smoking is.

> What you don't like Dave's big welcome and self proclaimed truth?
>
> Actually, it is a good thing he is trying to do but the 'group jacking'
> is a bit much. The assumption that anyone disagreeing with him or his K'
> crew is a gas griller exclusively is really a hoot. Yes smoking (not all
> forms) and grilling are barbecue.

<sigh>

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
cl

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> Yep - c(aca) l(oco) rips another smelly one.
> Ain't it great havin' him around?
>
> monroe(got whiners need cheesers)

I bet you like it when Miranda makes you be her bitch.

It is almost a paradox that you have me killfiled yet you seem to still
troll me. I know, you admire my ability to stand up to the lady who keeps
your 'nads in the freezer. One day you willl break free, have hope....WTF I
must be insane, that won't happen.

-CAL(oves to remind monroe he is lucky he has her to take up for him)

Dave Bugg

cl wrote:

> What you don't like Dave's big welcome and self proclaimed truth?
>
> Actually, it is a good thing he is trying to do but the 'group
> jacking' is a bit much. The assumption that anyone disagreeing with
> him or his K' crew is a gas griller exclusively is really a hoot.
> Yes smoking (not all forms) and grilling are barbecue.

You know, I thought we got passed the "K" thing. Or the fact that simply
because folks argree or disagree with someone is not an issue of gangspeak.
If you want to forward your opinions, fine, but stop trying to target me in
order to put out your views. FYI, I started putting out the "big welcome"
two years ago, after I posted the text for critique and review. The post
received a thumbs up from virtually everyone, and so I proceded to post it;
of and on. And so it will continue. Sorry it upsets you. Feel free to
create your own "big welcome" and post it.
Dave

Michael

"steve" > wrote in message
> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is

barbecue
> just as much as smoking is.

No it is not. Dave is right and you are wrong.

Douglas Barber

cl wrote:
> However you know that certain subjects are taboo and
> subject to disagreement. The act of posting a newbie fact addressing
> those topics is in fact trying to set the standard for the group. <snip>
> Can't you see how that would be a turnoff to some?

A person wanders into a clearly marked butcher shop, asks for advice
about vegetables, and when the butcher says, "I can only tell you a very
little about that, my expertise is in the area of meats. Why don't you
ask the folks at the farmer's market, three blocks down on the left,"
the person takes offense.

Douglas Barber

Default What is barbecue and what are we doing?

Just some thoughts from one point of view....those tired of hearing the
10 millionth iteration of this discussion should immediately pass this
posting by....

Barbecue goes back to traditions of cooking whole hogs or at least
primal cuts of meat directly over wood coals. To "go to a barbecue" was
as much to gather around and enjoy the spectacle of the cooking process
in the company of friends as it was to sit at a table and be fed. The
meats involved were capable of feeding lots of people, and they were
cheap meats that wouldn't likely show up on a millionaire's dinner
table. They typically needed to be cooked a long time to be made tender
palatable, so a lower cooking temp than you'd use for a standing rib
roast was needed in order to prevent overcooking and drying out. Given
the long cooking times and use of wood (coals), a fair part of the art
of barbecue understood in this way involved *not* letting the meat
become unpleasantly heavily smoke-flabored. Lots of different regions of
the USA have different traditions in this regard, but the direct cooking
over wood coals, the large cheap primal cut of meat that requires long
cooking, and the idea that the lengthy outdoor cooking process is itself
a festive occasion of enjoyment seem to be constant.

IMHO, what some of us (myself included) are doing today, in the way of
barbecue, is related to the meaning given above, about the way "model
rocketry" is related to sending satellites into space. We're trying to
enjoy both the traditional barbecue process, and the results, but in a
way suited to the kinds of things liable to work in our back yards. We
use smokers that only heat the meat directly in order to simulate the
low-heat conditions of traditional barbecue...we use charcoal, and add
wood chunks or chips to simulate the slow, sweet smoke that would rise
from wood burned down to coals...we often use smaller cuts of meat like
picnic shoulders and butts, smaller than what was originally considered
"barbecue".... So as I see it, although people like myself are not
exactly doing "barbecue" as I understand the term, but a scaled-down
hobbyist's version of it, nevertheless, grilling a t-bone steak just
doesn't have very much to do with what we're up to.

One of the main things that will decide what a person means by
"barbecue" is whether they're regarding the process, or the result, as
the main object of their enjoyment. If you're way over on the "result"
extreme, if you can figure out a way to make a brisket as good as the
finest smoked brisket in texas, in a microwave oven, you'll be
satisfied, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't doubt that,
without leaving the kitchen, there are cooks who could accomplish
something like that, in a way that would pass the most stringent
blindfold taste-comparison test. I'm way over on the process side. I
enjoy fumbling around with my coals and wood chunks and smoking devices
and techniques, and even if I knew how to produce a better tasting
brisket in the oven (which I don't), I'd keep after what I'm calling
"barbecue" because I enjoy the process of doing it, the "chase".

cl

Douglas Barber wrote:

> cl wrote:
> > However you know that certain subjects are taboo and
> > subject to disagreement. The act of posting a newbie fact addressing
> > those topics is in fact trying to set the standard for the group. <snip>
> > Can't you see how that would be a turnoff to some?
> >

> A person wanders into a clearly marked butcher shop, asks for advice
> about vegetables, and when the butcher says, "I can only tell you a very
> little about that, my expertise is in the area of meats. Why don't you
> ask the folks at the farmer's market, three blocks down on the left,"
> the person takes offense.

You do however have a mix here.
Now if a person goes to the butcher shop and then tell the butcher how
to cut the meat? Not everyone comes here to be taught.

-CAL

Douglas Barber

cl wrote:

> Douglas Barber wrote:
>
>>cl wrote:
>>
>>>However you know that certain subjects are taboo and
>>>subject to disagreement. The act of posting a newbie fact addressing
>>>those topics is in fact trying to set the standard for the group. <snip>
>>>Can't you see how that would be a turnoff to some?
>>>

>>A person wanders into a clearly marked butcher shop, asks for advice
>>about vegetables, and when the butcher says, "I can only tell you a very
>>little about that, my expertise is in the area of meats. Why don't you
>>ask the folks at the farmer's market, three blocks down on the left,"
>>the person takes offense.

> You do however have a mix here.
> Now if a person goes to the butcher shop and then tell the butcher how
> to cut the meat? Not everyone comes here to be taught.
>
> -CAL

Doesn't bother me if folks wander in and start up a discussion of
techniques for preparing tofu using arc-welders. Does cause me to
scratch my head when such folks prove so thin-skinned that they feel
that the primordial rights of man have been violated, and go on at great
length about the injustice of it all, when some other folks reply that
only newbies barbecue tofu with arc-welders - and every time I scratch
my head at my age, I get a new bald spot, which annoys people who have
to look at me.

Douglas Barber > wrote:
> Just some thoughts from one point of view....those tired of hearing the
> 10 millionth iteration of this discussion should immediately pass this
> posting by....
> [enjoyable reiteration snipped]
> I enjoy the process of doing it, the "chase".

Thank you, Douglas. Nice essay.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
BOB

wrote:

> Oh, fine. Blame me! ;~/

OK, It's Nick's fault...

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:13:38 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

wrote:

>> Oh, fine. Blame me! ;~/

>OK, It's Nick's fault...
>
>BOB

Ah. All is right with the World, then. ;0)
Harry
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:13:38 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> wrote:
> >>>
> >> Oh, fine. Blame me! ;~/

> >OK, It's Nick's fault...
> >
> >BOB
> >

> Ah. All is right with the World, then. ;0)
> Harry

It's Nick's fault that c(ock) l(uncher) won't leave?
Damn that's a heavy load to lay on him.
Don't worry Nick - we won't do that.

monroe(not that cruel)
Ken R

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:52:44 GMT, Douglas Barber > wrote:

|Just some thoughts from one point of view....those tired of hearing the
|10 millionth iteration of this discussion should immediately pass this
|posting by....
[snip]
|blindfold taste-comparison test. I'm way over on the process side. I
|enjoy fumbling around with my coals and wood chunks and smoking devices
|and techniques, and even if I knew how to produce a better tasting
|brisket in the oven (which I don't), I'd keep after what I'm calling
|"barbecue" because I enjoy the process of doing it, the "chase".

Which I guess is how & why I do my music & roast my own coffe as well. It is about the
"art". A painting instructor once said something about "talent" relating directly to the
degree of enjoyment one finds in the 'laying on of the color'. It seems to me that it is
somewhat the same with Q.

KenR
to reply by email please remove DELETE
or is it delete REMOVE ....
BigDog

Douglas Barber wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> I enjoy fumbling around with my coals and wood chunks and smoking devices
> and techniques, and even if I knew how to produce a better tasting
> brisket in the oven (which I don't), I'd keep after what I'm calling
> "barbecue" because I enjoy the process of doing it, the "chase".

Here, Here. Clap,clap,clap

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:13:38 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
> wrote:
> >>>
> >> Oh, fine. Blame me! ;~/

> >OK, It's Nick's fault...
> >

> Ah. All is right with the World, then. ;0)

Hey! With all due respect, this is nuthin'. I just got dissed by a friend
of 40 years standing because Ollie North is my friend. Not really dissed.
He was just venting.

Q'ers are the cause of global warming! Burn, baby, burn!

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
> Demidavicius > wrote:

> > >OK, It's Nick's fault...
> > >

> > Ah. All is right with the World, then. ;0)
> > Harry

> It's Nick's fault that c(ock) l(uncher) won't leave?
> Damn that's a heavy load to lay on him.
> Don't worry Nick - we won't do that.

I think I've mentioned before that I feel sorry for people who lack
socialization skills. With dogs, you can just take 'em out & shoot 'em!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
BigDog

wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> I think I've mentioned before that I feel sorry for people who lack
> socialization skills. With dogs, you can just take 'em out & shoot 'em!

Hey, is that a reference to me?

BigDog > wrote:
> wrote in alt.food.barbecue
>
> > I think I've mentioned before that I feel sorry for people who lack
> > socialization skills. With dogs, you can just take 'em out & shoot 'em!
> >

> Hey, is that a reference to me?

No, my son. You are exempt, to say the least!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
F.G. Whitfurrows

Douglas Barber wrote:
> cl wrote:
>>
>> Douglas Barber wrote:

>>> A person wanders into a clearly marked butcher shop, asks for advice
>>> about vegetables, and when the butcher says, "I can only tell you a
>>> very little about that, my expertise is in the area of meats. Why
>>> don't you ask the folks at the farmer's market, three blocks down
>>> on the left," the person takes offense.

>> You do however have a mix here.
>> Now if a person goes to the butcher shop and then tell the butcher
>> how to cut the meat? Not everyone comes here to be taught.
>>
>> -CAL

> Doesn't bother me if folks wander in and start up a discussion of
> techniques for preparing tofu using arc-welders. Does cause me to
> scratch my head when such folks prove so thin-skinned that they feel
> that the primordial rights of man have been violated, and go on at
> great length about the injustice of it all, when some other folks
> reply that only newbies barbecue tofu with arc-welders - and every
> time I scratch my head at my age, I get a new bald spot, which annoys
> people who have to look at me.

Oh dammitall, Doug. You crackin me up. ROFL.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

Michael wrote:
> "steve" > wrote in message
>> Stop imposing YOUR definition of barbecue on everone. Grilling is
>> barbecue just as much as smoking is.
>>

> No it is not. Dave is right and you are wrong.

Now that gets right to the point.

Up here in the great Northwest, you don't even have to grill it to call it
barbecue. Nope, all ya gotta do is spread some thick-ass ketchup based sauce
all over it and serve it with beans and, by God, it barbecue. Hell, just ask
anyone. They'll tell ya.

Still don't make it right, and I'm real busy tryin' to educate the ignorant.
Too bad, they ain't listenin' up here, niether.

Some folks just don't wanna know. My ex wife insisted that if you ran the AC
in the car with the windows down it would burn out the whole damned thing.
Never did convince her otherwise.

Hey cl, I got the perfect woman for ya!

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Duwop

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> Hey cl, I got the perfect woman for ya!

Don't know he's old enough to marry yet, even in Tennessee.

BigDog

wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> BigDog > wrote:
>> wrote in alt.food.barbecue
>> Hey, is that a reference to me?

> No, my son. You are exempt, to say the least!

Gee thanks, Papa.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
cl

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message ...
> Some folks just don't wanna know. My ex wife insisted that if you ran the

AC
> in the car with the windows down it would burn out the whole damned thing.
> Never did convince her otherwise.
>
> Hey cl, I got the perfect woman for ya!

I appreciate the thought but I will have to decline, especially since I have
a new one coming next Wed. or so

-CAL

Jack Curry

Default q on July 4th.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:34:02 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a friend here in Calgary who honestly thinks Bush walks on
>> water. I have another in Seattle who would gladly drown him. They
>> will both be at my house for a BBQ on July 4th. I am dreading
>> showing them my new garden which contains a number of plants called
>> 'Burning Bush'. When somebody asks me their name, these two guys
>> will be off and ranting. Can I borrow some weapons from you, Nick?

> Anybody who insists on arguing politics at my house during a
> friendly get-together will get a swift kick in the ass and an
> invitation to leave. Likewise to anybody who wants to preach
> about God and/or Jesus.
>
> -sw

Amen.

Jack Curry

mtbchip

in article , Jack Curry at
Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com wrote on 6/11/04 6:17 PM:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:34:02 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a friend here in Calgary who honestly thinks Bush walks on
>>> water. I have another in Seattle who would gladly drown him. They
>>> will both be at my house for a BBQ on July 4th. I am dreading
>>> showing them my new garden which contains a number of plants called
>>> 'Burning Bush'. When somebody asks me their name, these two guys
>>> will be off and ranting. Can I borrow some weapons from you, Nick?

>> Anybody who insists on arguing politics at my house during a
>> friendly get-together will get a swift kick in the ass and an
>> invitation to leave. Likewise to anybody who wants to preach
>> about God and/or Jesus.
>>
>> -sw

> Amen.
>
> Jack Curry

Well said Jack, Amen to that.....................

Mtbchip