T. L. Hicks

Default Newbie on board with gas :-(

Found the board this weekend and figured on introducing myself (then I'll go
back to lurking).

The location where I live frowns heavily on BBQs, so I'm lucky to get away
with a gas grill in the back yard. The "association" sends me a notice
whenever I grill on a day that's not a weekend or holiday.

Someday I"ll be able to afford to move to a better locale...

T. L. Hicks

T. L. Hicks

It's not quite that bad, I do have a good (small) kitchen.
Most of the complaints are about smoke, as I have a slightly unorthodox
method for ribs on the "grill."

> God, it sounds like you live in a place that's as bad as mine! We have no
> stove, no oven, no privacy, but we *do* have a tiny lanai that we grill

in.
> No one's complained about that yet.

Michael

"T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
> It's not quite that bad, I do have a good (small) kitchen.
> Most of the complaints are about smoke, as I have a slightly unorthodox
> method for ribs on the "grill."

By all means share it w/ us.

Sal Monella

T. L. Hicks wrote:
> Found the board this weekend and figured on introducing myself (then I'll go
> back to lurking).
>
> The location where I live frowns heavily on BBQs, so I'm lucky to get away
> with a gas grill in the back yard. The "association" sends me a notice
> whenever I grill on a day that's not a weekend or holiday.
>
> Someday I"ll be able to afford to move to a better locale...

Jeez, where do you live? Is it some uppity neighborhood or communist China?

T. L. Hicks

I know it won't compare to anything you "Professionals" do but..
All I do is:
1. take the "briquettes" off the bottom rack, put a disposable tray with
soaked wood chips on it.
2. put heavy foil on the "Grilling rack" to diffuse the grease away from the
hot tray (fewer flareups)
3. put carefully marinated and rubbed ribs on the top rack.
4. after the chips get smoking, turn the gas off on one side and leave the
other side on low flame...

and let it smoke/cook for a few hours turning as needed until done.

Because of the size of the grill, I can only do about 1 rack of ribs at a
time, but since I live alone that's enough.

When I need good BBQ, there is a place a few miles away from where I work
that is better than mine.

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
> > It's not quite that bad, I do have a good (small) kitchen.
> > Most of the complaints are about smoke, as I have a slightly unorthodox
> > method for ribs on the "grill."
> >

> By all means share it w/ us.

T. L. Hicks

Worse, an apartment complex in Taxachusetts, near the RI line.

"T. L. Hicks" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>
> When I need good BBQ, there is a place a few miles away from where I work
> that is better than mine.

> I have a slightly unorthodox method for ribs on the "grill."

TL. It takes a lot of courage to say, "When I need good BBQ, there is a
place a few miles away from where I work that is better than mine." You can
turn that around! Have ya read the a.f.b FAQ? It's lengthy, but ya can skip
ta the parts that address what you're doin'. Start keepin' notes on whatcha
do and the results. Ask questions here. You'll get a lot of different
answers. Save 'em and try 'em as ya see fit.

When I get back from my vacation-from-retirement, I expect ta see ya've
posted that when yer friends want good Q they come ta your place rather
than that place down the road!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, whose niece lives in Lowell.

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
inmate 2339117

Default Newbie on board with gas :-( OT: neighborhood "associations"

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:19:54 +0000, T. L. Hicks wrote:

> Found the board this weekend and figured on introducing myself (then I'll go
> back to lurking).
>
> The location where I live frowns heavily on BBQs, so I'm lucky to get away
> with a gas grill in the back yard. The "association" sends me a notice
> whenever I grill on a day that's not a weekend or holiday.
>
> Someday I"ll be able to afford to move to a better locale...
>
> T. L. Hicks

It definitely is a balance. My girlfriend lives in a neighborhood
where cigarette butts and beer bottle caps are always finding their way
into the front yard. On weekend evenings, cars with boom boxes and
motorcycles racing down the street is the norm. But nobody complains if I
cook up some smoky barbecue - and it doesn't matter what day
of the week I do it. On the other hand, and not too far away, there are
apartments who complain when you fly the stars and stripes, and I recently
heard of a jobless woman whose house was foreclosed on and sold because
she owed the homeowner "association" 500 bucks. I'll take the freedom
loving barrio over the fascist neighborhood "associations" everytime.

T. L. Hicks

I'll see what can be done. I've read here and there, and know I do better
than most around me already. Now it's time to look at the big league.

Near MA exit 3 Rt 95 (if you're local, you know where I am)

> TL. It takes a lot of courage to say, "When I need good BBQ, there is a
> place a few miles away from where I work that is better than mine." You

can
> turn that around! Have ya read the a.f.b FAQ? It's lengthy, but ya can

skip
> ta the parts that address what you're doin'. Start keepin' notes on

whatcha
> do and the results. Ask questions here. You'll get a lot of different
> answers. Save 'em and try 'em as ya see fit.
>
> When I get back from my vacation-from-retirement, I expect ta see ya've
> posted that when yer friends want good Q they come ta your place rather
> than that place down the road!
>
> --
> Intuitive insights from Nick, whose niece lives in Lowell.
>
> http://operationiraqichildren.org/

Edwin Pawlowski

T. L. Hicks wrote:
> Worse, an apartment complex in Taxachusetts, near the RI line.

When I read your first post I figured you wre in some hoity toity left
coast town, not New England, birthpace of Freedom.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

inmate 2339117 > wrote:
> [ . . . ]I'll take the freedom loving barrio over the fascist
> neighborhood "associations" everytime.

I've been in this house for 34 years. I got a poison pen letter from an
anonymous neighbor a few months back, citing the LA City Ordinance that
said I could be fined and/or jailed for having my front lawn overgrown with
weeds. I took out the whole lawn! Now it's just DIRT. A lot easier to take
care of. **** them!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Making a Voodoo doll of the woos.

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Stephen Russell

> wrote in message
> I've been in this house for 34 years. I got a poison pen letter from an
> anonymous neighbor a few months back, citing the LA City Ordinance that
> said I could be fined and/or jailed for having my front lawn overgrown

with
> weeds. I took out the whole lawn! Now it's just DIRT. A lot easier to take
> care of. **** them!

That's sending them a message. I'm saving water!