Dave Bugg

Default A note to newbies, and a big welcome!

Hi and a big WELCOME to AFB. :-) In order to get a flavor of what this
newsgroup spends most of its time talking about, please read the FAQ which
is located at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

It is the best single-source document on traditional barbecue that I've yet
to see. And that's what this NG is primarily focused on... traditional
methods of BBQ.

Most of us also use gas grills -- I myself use a Weber Genesis
from time-to-time -- so grilling and other forms of outdoor cooking
are sometimes talked about. It's just not the main focus for most
of us here.

This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and it's
the main theme of this NG. So if you're a griller, and you have a recipe for
ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be surprised or upset if we
attempt to "show you the light". :-)

The FAQ will help you understand the differences between grilling and
barbecue, and why we will try to pull gas-grillers toward the light of real
'Q, and why we may use gentle corrections to wrongly-used terminology.
Hopefully this post will help you avoid getting your feathered underwear
into a ruffled knot, because we really want you to stay. And you may just
decide that you need to set the gasser aside for hot dogs, hamburgers,
and steaks, while picking up a wood-fired pit to 'Q the stuff dreams are
made of.

Best and Warm Regards to y'all. <BG>

HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom or
interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.

Dave

Kent H.

Default To newbies - A different view , and welcome!

Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated newsgroup.
This means that regardless of the original charter language, or the
intent of the originator of the NG, what is posted is what posters find
relevant today, at any moment. If this were a moderated NG that wouldn't
be true. Fortunately it's not.
At this moment the majority of posts don't fit your definition of
"barbecue", or "que". That's the way it is. You can't change that. You
have to live with what posters view today regarding the quesion: "what
is"barbecue" anyway? For many, including me, that is a very broad
subject includes gas grills, traditional charcoal grills, cooking a
steak, and so forth.
Cheers,
Kent

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Hi and a big WELCOME to AFB. :-) In order to get a flavor of what this
> newsgroup spends most of its time talking about, please read the FAQ which
> is located at:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> It is the best single-source document on traditional barbecue that I've yet
> to see. And that's what this NG is primarily focused on... traditional
> methods of BBQ.
>
> Most of us also use gas grills -- I myself use a Weber Genesis
> from time-to-time -- so grilling and other forms of outdoor cooking
> are sometimes talked about. It's just not the main focus for most
> of us here.
>
> This is a primary hang-out for a lot of hard-core BBQ "purists", and it's
> the main theme of this NG. So if you're a griller, and you have a recipe for
> ribs or pork which you think of as "bbq", don't be surprised or upset if we
> attempt to "show you the light". :-)
>
> The FAQ will help you understand the differences between grilling and
> barbecue, and why we will try to pull gas-grillers toward the light of real
> 'Q, and why we may use gentle corrections to wrongly-used terminology.
> Hopefully this post will help you avoid getting your feathered underwear
> into a ruffled knot, because we really want you to stay. And you may just
> decide that you need to set the gasser aside for hot dogs, hamburgers,
> and steaks, while picking up a wood-fired pit to 'Q the stuff dreams are
> made of.
>
> Best and Warm Regards to y'all. <BG>
>
> HINT: Trimming the posts to which you respond to, along with bottom or
> interleaved posting, is what we all prefer here.
>
> Dave

Dave Bugg

Kent H. wrote:

> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
> newsgroup.

No one has said that the group is moderated. So, why the attempt to moderate
*my* post? The rest of your post has just been answered.
Dave

Jack Curry

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Kent H. wrote:
>
>> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
>> newsgroup.

> No one has said that the group is moderated. So, why the attempt to
> moderate *my* post? The rest of your post has just been answered.
> Dave

Whoopdedo, Kunt H is back. Maybe he can talk to cl(it).

Jack Curry

Dave Bugg

Kent H. wrote:
> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
> newsgroup.

I would suggest that you simply take a poll, asking if participants would
like to have the "Welcome" posts stop. I'll be happy to abide by the
results. Democracy in action and all that. :-)
Dave

Kent H.

I'm not moderating your post. You posted. I'm responding.
Kent

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
> > newsgroup.

> No one has said that the group is moderated. So, why the attempt to moderate
> *my* post? The rest of your post has just been answered.
> Dave

Michael C. Neel

> I would suggest that you simply take a poll, asking if participants
> would like to have the "Welcome" posts stop. I'll be happy to abide
> by the results. Democracy in action and all that. :-)

I need them, I'm too lazy to bookmark the FAQ URL and I'm always needing to
skim it Sat for Sunday's plans =p.

I've been out of ng for a long time now, but I believe the proper response
to Kent, or anyone else who doesn't want to see a poster/post is "That's
what a killfile is for." I wonder now how many ng readers even have a
killfile, lol.

Mike

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Kent H. wrote:
>> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
>> newsgroup.

> I would suggest that you simply take a poll, asking if participants would
> like to have the "Welcome" posts stop. I'll be happy to abide by the
> results. Democracy in action and all that. :-)
> Dave

Keep it up!

BOB
kent and all his fans/clones (cl?) can subscribe to alt.food.barbeque

Dave Bugg

Kent H. wrote:
> I'm not moderating your post. You posted. I'm responding.
> Kent

I never said you *were* moderating my post. I said you were "attempting" to.
Which seemed to fit with your usage of "moderated" as your wording choice
when addressing my post.
Dave

Duwop

BOB wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> I would suggest that you simply take a poll, asking if participants
>> would like to have the "Welcome" posts stop. I'll be happy to abide

> Keep it up!
>
> BOB
> kent and all his fans/clones (cl?) can subscribe to alt.food.barbeque

Too few know enough to look up the master usenet FAQ for expectation of
basic behavior for any group, let alone bother to look around in one they
want to post to. It should be welcome by most, those few that have bitched,
well, they were already malcontents werent they?

I wish Kunt would store his thawed chickens in his garage like he suggests.

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
> > Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
> > newsgroup.

> I would suggest that you simply take a poll, asking if participants would
> like to have the "Welcome" posts stop. I'll be happy to abide by the
> results. Democracy in action and all that. :-)
> Dave

I vote 'aye' to 'Kunt is a dumbass'

monroe(bet the motion carries)

"Kent H." > wrote:
> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated newsgroup.
> This means that regardless of the original charter language, or the
> intent of the originator of the NG, what is posted is what posters find
> relevant today, at any moment. If this were a moderated NG that wouldn't
> be true. Fortunately it's not.
> At this moment the majority of posts don't fit your definition of
> "barbecue", or "que". That's the way it is. You can't change that. You
> have to live with what posters view today regarding the quesion: "what
> is"barbecue" anyway? For many, including me, that is a very broad
> subject includes gas grills, traditional charcoal grills, cooking a
> steak, and so forth.

Ah, the democratic beauty of Usenet.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one!
(except the two-headed alligator and he is one mean SOB)

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Kent H. wrote:
> >
> >> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
> >> newsgroup.

> > No one has said that the group is moderated. So, why the attempt to
> > moderate *my* post? The rest of your post has just been answered.
> > Dave

> Whoopdedo, Kunt H is back. Maybe he can talk to cl(it).

Dave, I'm sorry ta hafta tell ya this, but I 'spect Kent and CAL won't be
comin' ta yer opening! One more reason fer the rest of us ta go!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Snoopy Jones

Keep em coming Dave!

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:15:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:

>Kent H. wrote:
>
>> Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated
>> newsgroup.

>No one has said that the group is moderated. So, why the attempt to moderate
>*my* post? The rest of your post has just been answered.
>Dave

That asshole is still around, Dave?
Harry

Lewzephyr

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:57:35 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
"Kent H." > :

>Dave, this NG is an open newsgroup, as opposed to a moderated newsgroup.
>This means that regardless of the original charter language, or the
>intent of the originator of the NG, what is posted is what posters find
>relevant today, at any moment. If this were a moderated NG that wouldn't
>be true. Fortunately it's not.
>At this moment the majority of posts don't fit your definition of
>"barbecue", or "que". That's the way it is. You can't change that. You
>have to live with what posters view today regarding the quesion: "what
>is"barbecue" anyway? For many, including me, that is a very broad
>subject includes gas grills, traditional charcoal grills, cooking a
>steak, and so forth.
>Cheers,
>Kent

Jeez, isn't this a dead horse yet? you have your opinion... he has
his... let the dead beast lay down and rest...
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:02:33 GMT, Lewzephyr >
wrote:

>Jeez, isn't this a dead horse yet?

It long ago went from being a dead horse to a vaguely equine-shaped
grease spot on the road.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho