Kevin S. Wilson

Default Food TV Lineup this Weekend: Grilling and Smoking

The Food Network is covering grilling and smoking in all of their
shows this weekend, including some specials about BBQ competitions.
Last night there was a 1-hour show about something called the 1st
Annual National BBQ Championship, in Shreveport, LA. Saw a couple of
tiled Kamados in one competitor's booth.

Schedule he

http://www.foodtv.com

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
> The Food Network is covering grilling and smoking in all of their
> shows this weekend, including some specials about BBQ competitions.
> Last night there was a 1-hour show about something called the 1st
> Annual National BBQ Championship, in Shreveport, LA. Saw a couple of
> tiled Kamados in one competitor's booth.
>
> Schedule he
>
> http://www.foodtv.com

Watched a lot of it. Quite entertaining. Got turned off by the steak
contest though, when they had to cook those ribeyes medium well! Sacrilege!

Too much Kingsford briquettes and lighter fluid. If ya gotta use lighter
fluid, make it Everclear!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, D-Drunk in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
jm

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> The Food Network is covering grilling and smoking in all of their
> shows this weekend, including some specials about BBQ competitions.
> Last night there was a 1-hour show about something called the 1st
> Annual National BBQ Championship, in Shreveport, LA. Saw a couple of
> tiled Kamados in one competitor's booth.

I watched one tonight and they had Texas style BBQ. I didn't think I'd like
the way the Brisket looked (only had pork BBQ), but it looked good. The
Texas BBQ sauce also looked darker. My wife liked that white Alabama
mayonnaise sauce, but I thought it sounded terrible. I'd try it, though. I
have been watchin' Grillin' and Chillin' all week.

---

Nathan Lau

wrote:

> Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
>
>>The Food Network is covering grilling and smoking in all of their
>>shows this weekend, including some specials about BBQ competitions.
>>Last night there was a 1-hour show about something called the 1st
>>Annual National BBQ Championship, in Shreveport, LA. Saw a couple of
>>tiled Kamados in one competitor's booth.
>>
>>Schedule he

http://www.foodtv.com

> Watched a lot of it. Quite entertaining. Got turned off by the steak
> contest though, when they had to cook those ribeyes medium well! Sacrilege!
>
> Too much Kingsford briquettes and lighter fluid. If ya gotta use lighter
> fluid, make it Everclear!

Haven't been watching it a lot, but what I have seen has made us hungry
for barbecue! I agree, there's too much K*ngsford being used for my
taste but it's nice to see barbecuen represented well. FoodTV may make
a few more converts to real Q!

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Henry D

Did anyone happen to see the episode of "Good Eats" last week where
the host (Alton Brown) made a ceramic smoker out of a couple of large
clay flower pots, an electric hot plate, a round grill grate, and an
heavy duty aluminum pie plate for holding the smoking wood? It looked
like an interesting little project. I figured if I ever ran across a
couple of clay pots that were big enough, I'd give it a try.

Regards,

Henry D. --------->

Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".

Reg

Henry D wrote:

> Did anyone happen to see the episode of "Good Eats" last week where
> the host (Alton Brown) made a ceramic smoker out of a couple of large
> clay flower pots, an electric hot plate, a round grill grate, and an
> heavy duty aluminum pie plate for holding the smoking wood? It looked
> like an interesting little project. I figured if I ever ran across a
> couple of clay pots that were big enough, I'd give it a try.

People have been doing it for years with galvanized garbage cans
and other such objects.

Warning: this is fun to do once. It rapidly becomes a pain in
the ass at which point you go buy a cheap smoker (ECB, etc)

CSS

"Henry D" > wrote in message
> Did anyone happen to see the episode of "Good Eats" last week where
> the host (Alton Brown) made a ceramic smoker out of a couple of large
> clay flower pots, an electric hot plate, a round grill grate, and an
> heavy duty aluminum pie plate for holding the smoking wood? It looked
> like an interesting little project. I figured if I ever ran across a
> couple of clay pots that were big enough, I'd give it a try.

> Regards,
>
> Henry D. --------->
>
> Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".

Did it take him six to nine months to do so <g>?

Pierre

"jm" > wrote in message news:<VdRwc.51386$pt3.38999@attbi_s03>...
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > The Food Network is covering grilling and smoking in all of their
> > shows this weekend, including some specials about BBQ competitions.
> > Last night there was a 1-hour show about something called the 1st
> > Annual National BBQ Championship, in Shreveport, LA. Saw a couple of
> > tiled Kamados in one competitor's booth.

> I watched one tonight and they had Texas style BBQ. I didn't think I'd like
> the way the Brisket looked (only had pork BBQ), but it looked good. The
> Texas BBQ sauce also looked darker. My wife liked that white Alabama
> mayonnaise sauce, but I thought it sounded terrible. I'd try it, though. I
> have been watchin' Grillin' and Chillin' all week.
>

> ---

I bumped into what you're probably talking about, in one of Steven
Raichlens books over the weekend. It was the Alabama white bbq sauce.
.. .dumped it on some hickory smoked spatchcocked chicken, and it was
just too unusual, but also superb tasting. Lots of fun, and definately
worth the try considering the ease of preparation. In it, he calls for
1/2 cup prepared horseradish, (I used 1/4 cup to keep peace in the
household). .I suggest going with the full 1/2 cup, keeping the other
ingredients as they're called for. Oh, the book is BBQ USA.

White bbq sauce. . .hoodathunkit?

Pierre
Henry D

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:07:39 GMT, "CSS" >
wrote:

>"Henry D" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Did anyone happen to see the episode of "Good Eats" last week where
>> the host (Alton Brown) made a ceramic smoker out of a couple of large
>> clay flower pots, an electric hot plate, a round grill grate, and an
>> heavy duty aluminum pie plate for holding the smoking wood? It looked
>> like an interesting little project. I figured if I ever ran across a
>> couple of clay pots that were big enough, I'd give it a try.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Henry D. --------->
>>
>> Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".

>Did it take him six to nine months to do so <g>?

He he. Believe it or not, it only took him about 30 minutes from
start to finish. That included brining the pork butt (which I know
now is unnecessary), building the 'pit', and getting the smoke
started. The 'Q looked pretty tasty too. That's why I'm thinking
about building one...semi-genuine 'Q in 30 minutes...you can't beat
that with a stick!

He used a single "electric burner"...not an "electric hot plate". If
he had used a hot plate, it would probably have taken a little longer
than 9 months <g>!
Regards,

Henry D. --------->

Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".
Dave Bugg

Henry D wrote:

> ....... That's why I'm thinking
> about building one...semi-genuine 'Q in 30 minutes...you can't beat
> that with a stick!

ROTFL!!
Dave