FoodBanter.com

-   -   bones in boston butt (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/20486-bones-boston-butt.html)

Jeneen Sommers 04-06-2004 03:35 AM

bones in boston butt

I picked up two boston butts from the butcher today.
The fellow I usually get them from wasn't there today,
and I had to try to explain what I needed to a fellow
who only speaks German (which I don't).

So he fired up the saw and cut me two nice pieces
of pork shoulder, but they have alot of bone. It
looks like part of the spine, and some flat bony
pieces.

I'm planning on having them on the K tomorrow for BBQ
on Saturday afternoon. My question is, should I remove
the bones? Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per
pound still (they're 11-12 pounds each, with the bone)?
Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per pound of
meat, figuring the bones are a couple of pounds?
Would the bones make the end result more flavorful?

Thanks guys...I don't post often, but I _really_ appreciate
everything I learn from your experience!

Jeneen

Dave Bugg 04-06-2004 03:50 AM

bones in boston butt

Jeneen Sommers wrote:

> I'm planning on having them on the K tomorrow for BBQ
> on Saturday afternoon. My question is, should I remove
> the bones? Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per
> pound still (they're 11-12 pounds each, with the bone)?
> Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per pound of
> meat, figuring the bones are a couple of pounds?
> Would the bones make the end result more flavorful?

I prefer to have them with the bone in. Cook according to gross weight. The
bone is a good clue to the doneness of the pork, as it pulls out of the meat
easily when the pork reaches the pullable stage. IMO, it can make the 'Qing
go a bit quicker due to the bone acting as a heat sink, but 1.5 to 2.0 hours
per pound is still a good rough guage.
Dave

Jeneen Sommers 04-06-2004 05:20 AM

bones in boston butt

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, it was written:

> I prefer to have them with the bone in. Cook according to gross weight. The
> bone is a good clue to the doneness of the pork, as it pulls out of the meat
> easily when the pork reaches the pullable stage. IMO, it can make the 'Qing
> go a bit quicker due to the bone acting as a heat sink, but 1.5 to 2.0 hours
> per pound is still a good rough guage.
> Dave

Thanks! I'll keep the bones in, and report back.

Jeneen

Jeneen Sommers 07-06-2004 11:10 PM

bones in boston butt

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, it was written:

> Jeneen Sommers wrote:
>
> > I'm planning on having them on the K tomorrow for BBQ
> > on Saturday afternoon. My question is, should I remove
> > the bones? Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per
> > pound still (they're 11-12 pounds each, with the bone)?
> > Leave them on and cook the pork 1.5 hours per pound of
> > meat, figuring the bones are a couple of pounds?
> > Would the bones make the end result more flavorful?

> I prefer to have them with the bone in. Cook according to gross weight. The
> bone is a good clue to the doneness of the pork, as it pulls out of the meat
> easily when the pork reaches the pullable stage. IMO, it can make the 'Qing
> go a bit quicker due to the bone acting as a heat sink, but 1.5 to 2.0 hours
> per pound is still a good rough guage.
> Dave

Update: The pork temperature was up to 195F after about 12-13 hours at
220, much sooner than I expected. I thought they still could have been cooked
longer because there was more fat in the meat than I usually get,
especially for 195F (temperature was taken in a big meaty part). I don't know
if that had anything to do with the bone or not.

I'm not sure what I would do different in the future - probably get the
pork shoulders without bone since I haven't had trouble with that in the
past. If I do get bone-in meat again, based on this experience, I'll
probably try cooking it to a higher internal temperature, and risk having
it overdone...just to see what happens. Or do you think that would be a
huge mistake? Live and learn!

Thanks for the help -

Jeneen

Dave Bugg 07-06-2004 11:24 PM

bones in boston butt

Jeneen Sommers wrote:

> Update: The pork temperature was up to 195F after about 12-13 hours
> at 220, much sooner than I expected. I thought they still could have
> been cooked longer because there was more fat in the meat than I
> usually get,
> especially for 195F (temperature was taken in a big meaty part). I
> don't know if that had anything to do with the bone or not.

It sounds like it turned out fine.
Dave