L. Fiorillo

Default Barb-B-Chef Texas vs. Brinkman Professional Horizontal

Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my Weber kettle grill, and am looking at the
Barb-B-Chef Texas grill and the Brinkman Professional Horizontal grill &
smoker. Any experience with either would be greatly appreciated. I'm
especially interested to know if the charcoal baskets can be raised or
lowered when fired (is there an external crank).

Also, I've heard that the Barb-B-Chef has a poor airflow design. Should I
be concerned with this?

I'm so glad to have found this NG. The FAQ is great as well!
Lou

frohe

L. Fiorillo wrote:
> Also, I've heard that the Barb-B-Chef has a poor airflow design.
> Should I be concerned with this?
> I'm so glad to have found this NG. The FAQ is great as well!

Loiu, if ya read the FAQ then ya know that air flow is important.
So, yes, ya should be concerned about it.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

L. Fiorillo

I was more so questioning if that particular grill truly had an air flow
issue. It just seems suprising that it would really be an issue with a
grill that expensive.

"frohe" > wrote in message
> L. Fiorillo wrote:
> > Also, I've heard that the Barb-B-Chef has a poor airflow design.
> > Should I be concerned with this?
> > I'm so glad to have found this NG. The FAQ is great as well!

> Loiu, if ya read the FAQ then ya know that air flow is important.
> So, yes, ya should be concerned about it.
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

Duwop

L. Fiorillo wrote:
> I was more so questioning if that particular grill truly had an air
> flow issue. It just seems suprising that it would really be an issue
> with a grill that expensive.

You'd be suprised at the number of design blunders out there. Hopefully the
expense is because they used a nice thick gauge of metal.

From what I can gather this brand is BBQ Galore's nameplated unit. BBQ
Galore is overpriced IMO.
http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=5839481

Oooooh, it was featured on TV!!!! Well, you just gotta have it then.

It's not all that expensive, here's one I've had my eye on
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2040.htm

frohe

L. Fiorillo wrote:
> I was more so questioning if that particular grill truly had an air
> flow issue. It just seems suprising that it would really be an

issue
> with a grill that expensive.

Well, for me it would be more of an issue the more ya have to pay for
it.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Walt Lewis

I've had my Bar-B-Chef for a couple of years and have a love not quite
hate relationship with it.

Air flow os WAY too good with no means of controlling it. While this
might be great for grilling it plays havoc with low and slow!

The real bitch to be is I paid $500 plus for my BBC and this spring
while shopping at Sams Club I saw a nearly identical grill for aboutr
$150!! The steel doesn't seem as heavy and the cranl is not as nice
but I could buy 3 of these things for the price of my BBC.

Walt

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:26:26 GMT, "L. Fiorillo" <SPAMSUX%#$%# lfio @
optonline net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm considering upgrading my Weber kettle grill, and am looking at the
>Barb-B-Chef Texas grill and the Brinkman Professional Horizontal grill &
>smoker. Any experience with either would be greatly appreciated. I'm
>especially interested to know if the charcoal baskets can be raised or
>lowered when fired (is there an external crank).
>
>Also, I've heard that the Barb-B-Chef has a poor airflow design. Should I
>be concerned with this?
>
>I'm so glad to have found this NG. The FAQ is great as well!
>Lou

Yip Yap

"L. Fiorillo" <SPAMSUX%#$%# lfio @ optonline net> wrote in message . net>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm considering upgrading my Weber kettle grill, and am looking at the
> Barb-B-Chef Texas grill and the Brinkman Professional Horizontal grill &
> smoker. Any experience with either would be greatly appreciated. I'm
> especially interested to know if the charcoal baskets can be raised or
> lowered when fired (is there an external crank).
>
> Also, I've heard that the Barb-B-Chef has a poor airflow design. Should I
> be concerned with this?

I've had a Bar-B-Chef for about 4 years and I'm
happy with it. Airflow is fine, however, there
are no dampers to control airflow to the fire.
The vents are wide open all the time. So you
must build a fire of the right size. You
can use distance from the fire to control heat.
It's no big deal once you are used to it.

The fire tray can be raised and lowered with
the crank on the front -- a great feature.

I've cooked just about anything that can
be grilled on the Bar-B-Chef, including
whole turkeys, chickens, kebabs, fish, and
roasts. It's good for steaks too because
you can raise the fire right up under the
cooking grates.

-- Yip