no-spam

Default Newbie Question

I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know what
serious BBQ'ers are looking for.

Thanks in Advance
Belinda

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 29 May 2004 03:21:28 -0400, "no-spam" >
wrote:

>I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know what
>serious BBQ'ers are looking for.

What a thoughtful, considerate post. You must be new to Usenet.

I see nothing wrong with a post that introduces yourself to the group
and asks that we visit your site and then give you some feedback. Just
don't make it a drive-by posting, where you post once and we never
hear from you again.

I would welcome your ongoing contributions to the group, and wouldn't
mind a bit if your .signature contained a link to your site.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
no-spam

Whew..... what a relief. Thanks for being so nice.

I have been looking through the news groups and I can truly say the BBQ'ers
and the RV travel group are two of the most serious groups I have come
across. And that is a compliment. With so much spam and the deletion of it
taking up my time I can say I don't like it nor do I want to be accused of
it. This group truly doesn't take any spam.
About us - my husband loves to BBQ and I love to eat BBQ, He loves all meat
and poultry and I only eat fish. A semi veg if you will. We wanted to have a
site so I can stay at home and take in some foster children.
About the site - www.barbecue-grill.com started because we love BBQ all year
long. We live in the norteast but we want BBQ all year long. Being amateurs
we wanted to get more serious and boy it is hard. So we want a site that has
stuff for amateurs, tailgaters, BBQ party planners and the serious people
like you. Remember I'm a amateur but I want to really get better and
hopefully make a nice shopping center for serious people like yourselves and
future BBQ'ers. I'm not making a drive by posting and will be back often to
learn.

Again our site is www.barbecue-grill.com

Thanks again,
Belinda

"no-spam" > wrote in message
> I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know what
> serious BBQ'ers are looking for.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Belinda

Reg

no-spam wrote:

> Whew..... what a relief. Thanks for being so nice.
>
> I have been looking through the news groups and I can truly say the BBQ'ers
> and the RV travel group are two of the most serious groups I have come
> across. And that is a compliment. With so much spam and the deletion of it
> taking up my time I can say I don't like it nor do I want to be accused of
> it. This group truly doesn't take any spam.
> About us - my husband loves to BBQ and I love to eat BBQ, He loves all meat
> and poultry and I only eat fish. A semi veg if you will. We wanted to have a
> site so I can stay at home and take in some foster children.
> About the site - www.barbecue-grill.com started because we love BBQ all year
> long. We live in the norteast but we want BBQ all year long. Being amateurs
> we wanted to get more serious and boy it is hard. So we want a site that has
> stuff for amateurs, tailgaters, BBQ party planners and the serious people
> like you. Remember I'm a amateur but I want to really get better and
> hopefully make a nice shopping center for serious people like yourselves and
> future BBQ'ers. I'm not making a drive by posting and will be back often to
> learn.

Overall, it's very good. I like the fact that there's a good
mix of images and text. It's not overloaded with graphics, which is
the usual mistake. It's quick to load and very navigable.

The only thing I might change is the text rollover effects. Color change
is fine, but changing the text size makes other screen elements shift
during rollover, especially on horizontal arrangements. That's very
distracting and it hurts readability.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Reg" > wrote in

> Overall, it's very good.

Ya didn't even see my recipe?

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Reg

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in
>
>>Overall, it's very good.

> Ya didn't even see my recipe?

DOH! Sorry Fosco, I'm going back for another look.

<looks again>

Help me out here. I can't find any attribution for the
recipes. Which one is yours?

no-spam

Thanks, you all are great. And truthful. I talk to hubby about the rollover
thing. Is anyone else finding difficulty in readability? We welcome any
feed back.

Here in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) barbecue sauce is on the thick
side. But I'm reading in the groups about some that are almost watery.
Remember I'm a newbie. As far as the recipes we would love to post any you
have, tips too! We can use your full name or initials what ever you decide.

Thanks again,
Belinda

"no-spam" > wrote:
> I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know
> what serious BBQ'ers are looking for.

IMO. Read the FAQ. Post something on topic. Put your URL in yer sig line.
I think yer off to a good start.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
F.G. Whitfurrows

"no-spam" > wrote

> Here in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) barbecue sauce is on the thick
> side. But I'm reading in the groups about some that are almost watery.
> Remember I'm a newbie. As far as the recipes we would love to post any you
> have, tips too! We can use your full name or initials what ever you

decide.

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Reg" > wrote

> Help me out here. I can't find any attribution for the
> recipes. Which one is yours?

You have to go to the SUBMIT YOUR OWN RECIPE page. You'll be able to tell
which is mine.<g>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

> wrote

> How quickly the Hobbit seeks immortality!

Hee-yuk!

I posted a recipe on the website she linked to for FOSCO'S FAMOUS PULLED
PORK, too.
I'm goin' for the glory, baby!

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote:
> "no-spam" > wrote
>
> > []As far as the recipes we would love to post any you have, tips too!
> > We can use your full name or initials what ever you decide.
> >

> FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE []

How quickly the Hobbit seeks immortality!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
BOB

no-spam wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>> F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
>>
>>> "Reg" > wrote in

>>> Ya didn't even see my recipe?
>>>

>> DOH! Sorry Fosco, I'm going back for another look.
>>
>> <looks again>
>>
>> Help me out here. I can't find any attribution for the
>> recipes. Which one is yours?
>>

>> --
>> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

> Thanks, you all are great. And truthful. I talk to hubby about the rollover
> thing. Is anyone else finding difficulty in readability? We welcome any
> feed back.
>
> Here in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) barbecue sauce is on the thick
> side. But I'm reading in the groups about some that are almost watery.
> Remember I'm a newbie. As far as the recipes we would love to post any you
> have, tips too! We can use your full name or initials what ever you decide.
>
> Thanks again,
> Belinda

My opinion about sauces is that you can use a sauce to cover up mistakes made in
cooking the barbecue. Just use rubs and put the sauces on the side, on the
table for those that don't really like the taste of barbecue.

BOB

Reg

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

> You have to go to the SUBMIT YOUR OWN RECIPE page. You'll be able to tell
> which is mine.<g>

Ah ha, found it. Fosco, you should take your recipes and your large body of
photographic work and put together a BBQ how-to website. It would
be great to see a few that aren't trying to sell stuff (just kidding
Belinda!)

Dana Myers

no-spam wrote:

> Here in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) barbecue sauce is on the thick
> side. But I'm reading in the groups about some that are almost watery.

Well, I'm in the habit of offering sauce on the side, it's just
that the combination of a good rub, a good mop and good smoke
(which can be as simple as salt and pepper, apple juice and oil,
and oak lump, respectively) is so tasty that a sauce just interferes.

Cheers!
Dana

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Dana Myers" > wrote

> Well, I'm in the habit of offering sauce on the side, it's just
> that the combination of a good rub, a good mop and good smoke
> (which can be as simple as salt and pepper, apple juice and oil,
> and oak lump, respectively) is so tasty that a sauce just interferes.

And yet, surely, you have a recipe for that sauce you offer on the side, no?

I do believe she was lookin for a good sauce recipe, Dana, not suggesting
that it be slathered all over the meat while cookin'.<smile>

And everyone stop callin' Dana Shirley! (couldn't resist)

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

JD

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. com
> no-spam wrote:
>
>> Here in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) barbecue sauce is on the
>> thick side. But I'm reading in the groups about some that are almost
>> watery.

> Well, I'm in the habit of offering sauce on the side, it's just
> that the combination of a good rub, a good mop and good smoke
> (which can be as simple as salt and pepper, apple juice and oil,
> and oak lump, respectively) is so tasty that a sauce just interferes.
>

> Cheers!
> Dana

Apple juice *and* oil? What kind of oil do you use and will it go through a
spray bottle?

JD

Dana Myers

JD wrote:

> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message

>>(which can be as simple as salt and pepper, apple juice and oil,

> Apple juice *and* oil? What kind of oil do you use and will it go through a
> spray bottle?

I mix olive oil and apple juice 50/50 in a little Mason jar,
put the lid on and shake it up immediately before mopping,
which I do with a basting brush. Putting the lid back on in
between mops prevents me from spilling it, which I'd otherwise
do, I'm sure ;-)

Dana
Dana Myers

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

> "Dana Myers" > wrote

> And yet, surely, you have a recipe for that sauce you offer on the side, no?

To tell the truth, no. I don't use sauce like that often enough
to have developed a recipe on my own. To be terribly, brutally,
honest (and probably subject myself to some ridicule), I have some
Bryant's and Jack Stack bottled sauce that I offer, but, really,
it's usually only kids that use sauce.

> I do believe she was lookin for a good sauce recipe, Dana, not suggesting
> that it be slathered all over the meat while cookin'.<smile>

Well, now, that's like a challenge... if I mix up a sauce,
what'd be in it? (and don't anyone say liquid smoke ;-) ).
I'll have to research that.

> And everyone stop callin' Dana Shirley! (couldn't resist)

Heh, I don't think I look like a Shirley..

http://www.dioxine.net/~dana/new_pic.jpg

Cheers!
Dana
Dana Myers

Dana Myers wrote:

> I have some
> Bryant's and Jack Stack bottled sauce that I offer, but, really,
> it's usually only kids that use sauce.

.... and I really meant "kids" in the literal sense, not as some
kind of slight against people that prefer sauce. Didn't want to
unintentionally step on any toes there.

Dana

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate

In article >, "no-spam"
> wrote:

>Whew..... what a relief. Thanks for being so nice.
>
>I have been looking through the news groups and I can truly say the BBQ'ers
>and the RV travel group are two of the most serious groups I have come
>across. And that is a compliment. With so much spam and the deletion of it
>taking up my time I can say I don't like it nor do I want to be accused of
>it. This group truly doesn't take any spam.
>About us - my husband loves to BBQ and I love to eat BBQ, He loves all meat
>and poultry and I only eat fish. A semi veg if you will.

You can now buy fish seeds at garden centers? Wow! Who knew?

> We wanted to have a
>site so I can stay at home and take in some foster children.
>About the site - www.barbecue-grill.com started because we love BBQ all year
>long. We live in the norteast but we want BBQ all year long. Being amateurs
>we wanted to get more serious and boy it is hard. So we want a site that has
>stuff for amateurs, tailgaters, BBQ party planners and the serious people
>like you. Remember I'm a amateur but I want to really get better and
>hopefully make a nice shopping center for serious people like yourselves and
>future BBQ'ers. I'm not making a drive by posting and will be back often to
>learn.
>
>Again our site is www.barbecue-grill.com
>
>Thanks again,
>Belinda
>

>"no-spam" > wrote in message
>> I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know what
>> serious BBQ'ers are looking for.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
>> Belinda

BOB

no-spam wrote:
> Thanks, you all are great. And truthful. I talk to hubby about the rollover
> thing. Is anyone else finding difficulty in readability? We welcome any
> feed back.

You might also ask him to remove the program that installs the TWO cookies that
Ad-Aware identifies as malicious spy-ware.

BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows

" BOB" > wrote in message
> no-spam wrote:
> > Thanks, you all are great. And truthful. I talk to hubby about the

rollover
> > thing. Is anyone else finding difficulty in readability? We welcome any
> > feed back.

> You might also ask him to remove the program that installs the TWO cookies

that
> Ad-Aware identifies as malicious spy-ware.

These are which, BOB?

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Dana Myers > wrote:
> F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
>[]
> > And everyone stop callin' Dana Shirley! (couldn't resist)

> Heh, I don't think I look like a Shirley..
>
> http://www.dioxine.net/~dana/new_pic.jpg

Fosco is yer friend, Dana, so ya don't need enemies! Rest assured, that
picture, with yer sh*t eaten grin, will come back to haunt you. Does yer
'fridge door open on the correct side?

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Dana Myers

wrote:

> Dana Myers > wrote:
>>F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
>>[]
>>>And everyone stop callin' Dana Shirley! (couldn't resist)

>>Heh, I don't think I look like a Shirley..

http://www.dioxine.net/~dana/new_pic.jpg

> Fosco is yer friend, Dana, so ya don't need enemies! Rest assured, that
> picture, with yer sh*t eaten grin, will come back to haunt you.

The party hadn't even started yet when that photo was snapped ;-)

> Does yer
> 'fridge door open on the correct side?

Heavens, I don't know. It's one of those side-by-side
refrigerator/freezer get-ups, so they open like a clam-shell.

;-)

Cheers!
Dana

BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> no-spam wrote:
>>> Thanks, you all are great. And truthful. I talk to hubby about the rollover
>>> thing. Is anyone else finding difficulty in readability? We welcome any
>>> feed back.

>> You might also ask him to remove the program that installs the TWO cookies
>> that Ad-Aware identifies as malicious spy-ware.
>>

> These are which, BOB?
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

I dunno. I ran Ad-Aware and it identified two. I had them deleted. If I do
happen to go back to that site, I'll check and see what it adds at the time.
*ALL* cookies are not bad. Some are, some are more invasive than others.

BOB
leaving to pull 2 butts off the K5 in about 4 more degrees

" BOB" > wrote:
> [] *ALL* cookies are not bad. Some are, some are more invasive
> than others.

My computer is set up to accept ALL cookies. My cookie file is read-only!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
M&M

On 29-May-2004, "no-spam" > wrote:

> I don't want to spam. Can I post my site for review? We need to know what
> serious BBQ'ers are looking for.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Belinda

Lurk this NG and ABF (alt.binaries.food). Or google these groups and spend
some
time cruising through the posts. These groups cover BBQ and Grilling from A
to Z.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
BigDog

Dana Myers wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> Heavens, I don't know. It's one of those side-by-side
> refrigerator/freezer get-ups, so they open like a clam-shell.

Ha, I got 2, one is a side by side the other is top and bottom.
They both open correctly.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 09:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 08:48 PM