Rob

Default Mal-Wart Brisket Flat w/ 17% of something...now what?

This is the first time a ran into brisket at Mal-Wart with 17% of
anything in it....now I'm wondering how I should adjust the rub to
compensate for the 17% of whatever is in there!

To be clear this is *NOT* the prepack corned beef brisket they sell.
Just the flat with some fat on it.

Damn ****ed I didn't notice before I got home. Of course, the clerks
were clueless when I asked for a "whole" brisket (point & flat) that I
had found there in the past.

There were no pork boston butts available either. Just a pork roast
and boneless shoulder picnic.

Rob (who is re-seasoning his newly LazyQ modified NB as he types.)
Douglas Barber

Rob wrote:

> This is the first time a ran into brisket at Mal-Wart with 17% of
> anything in it....now I'm wondering how I should adjust the rub to
> compensate for the 17% of whatever is in there!
>
> To be clear this is *NOT* the prepack corned beef brisket they sell.
> Just the flat with some fat on it.
>
> Damn ****ed I didn't notice before I got home. Of course, the clerks
> were clueless when I asked for a "whole" brisket (point & flat) that I
> had found there in the past.
>
> There were no pork boston butts available either. Just a pork roast
> and boneless shoulder picnic.
>
> Rob (who is re-seasoning his newly LazyQ modified NB as he types.)

I noticed that our local Wally's quit carrying the whole packer-cuts for
a while and started this separate flat and point deal. Fortunately,
they're now carrying the whole, non-desecrated brisket again.

By the way, for those who pay attention to the injected/non-injected
difference, the packages of 2 or 3 slabs of spare ribs per pack that
Wally's sells frozen, at least where I live, are about the only *non*
injected spare ribs available to me.

As for adjusting your rub to the presence of the injected mystery
substance in your brisket flat, I'd cut down the amount of salt in the
rub. Injected spare ribs always taste too salty to me.

Dana Myers

cory wrote:

> Or go to CostCo. They sell unadulterated meats, at very good prices.

A two-pack of boneless pork shoulders, $1.60/lbs, today. Will
Q/pull this weekend. Gawd I love Costco.

> I've never had a problem with any meat that I've bought there. OTOH,
> don't buy a laser level there; theirs are cr4p.

You never have to keep a bad thing you buy at Costco - just take it
back (if you haven't already). With the exception of computers,
basically anything you buy at Costco can be returned at any time
if you're not satisfied with it. I had a Lexmark all-in-one that
stopped working 3 days after the Lexmark warranty ran out - Costco
refunded my money. Computers you have 6 months, IIRC.

Dana