Bill

Default "Memphis Style Barbecue?"

Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?

Bill

Dave Bugg

Bill wrote:
> Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?

There is nothing special about it, Bill. It is barbecue, some great and some
bad, cooked in Memphis. You can find good and bad barbecue in almost every
region of the country. Certain areas, like Memphis and Kansas City, have
larger numbers of 'Q joints than some other similarly sized areas, but
that's about it.

Louis Cohen

I think it's pork-based with tomato-based sauces.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?
>
> Bill

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?

> There is nothing special about it, Bill. It is barbecue, some great
> and some bad, cooked in Memphis. You can find good and bad barbecue
> in almost every region of the country. Certain areas, like Memphis
> and Kansas City, have larger numbers of 'Q joints than some other
> similarly sized areas, but that's about it.

He might be asking more for what it's know for, you know, tomato based
sauces, etc. Like Texas BBQ is associated with Brisket, Carolina's pulled
pork and either mustard or vinegar sauce on the side. I kind of forget what
Kansas City and Memphis' specialties are supposed to be. I'm thinkin it's
the tomato based sauce for Memphis, but might have it wrong.

Dave Bugg

Duwop wrote:

> He might be asking more for what it's know for, you know, tomato based
> sauces, etc.

You could be right. Since I don't think of barbecue as the sauces, I guess
I just plain missed that distinction. :-)

AG

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> I think it's pork-based with tomato-based sauces.

They are also known for dry rubbed ribs. No sauce.

ag

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Duwop"
> wrote:

> He might be asking more for what it's know for, you know, tomato based
> sauces, etc. Like Texas BBQ is associated with Brisket, Carolina's pulled
> pork and either mustard or vinegar sauce on the side. I kind of forget what
> Kansas City and Memphis' specialties are supposed to be. I'm thinkin it's
> the tomato based sauce for Memphis, but might have it wrong.

Most KC joints I've eaten at had sauce you could frost a cake with.
waaaay too much sugar.

monroe(and wash it down with sweet tea and an insulin shot)
cl

"AG" > wrote in message

> "Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> > I think it's pork-based with tomato-based sauces.

> They are also known for dry rubbed ribs. No sauce.

Pork pulled and slaw on the sandwich.
Ribs actually both, dry and wet. Sweet tomato sauces but also just as many
with vinegar combos.

This thread really show the (lack of) knowledge of Dave and Dale.

-CAL

cory

> Bill > wrote:
>

>>Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?
>>
>>Bill

This paper seems to be pretty well researched. Scan the page for the
word "Memphis", which appears a couple of times.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/MA...e/regions.html
Jason in Dallas

"cory" > wrote
> This paper seems to be pretty well researched. Scan the page for the
> word "Memphis", which appears a couple of times.
>
> http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/MA...e/regions.html

Towards the end of the first paragraph: "...the beef and mesquite of Texas
simply do not qualify as barbecue..."

He sure do have a pretty mouf.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 17 May 2004 03:18:37 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>This thread really show the (lack of) knowledge of Dave and Dale.

Are you still here waving that shriveled little thing around? Zip up.
You're making a spectacle of yourself.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
cory

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "cory" > wrote
>
>>This paper seems to be pretty well researched. Scan the page for the
>>word "Memphis", which appears a couple of times.
>>
>>http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/MA...e/regions.html

> Towards the end of the first paragraph: "...the beef and mesquite of Texas
> simply do not qualify as barbecue..."
>
> He sure do have a pretty mouf.

Yeah, as a Texan, I take exception to that statement. But the rest of it
seemed well informed.
JakBQuik

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
. com...
> "cory" > wrote
> > This paper seems to be pretty well researched. Scan the page for the
> > word "Memphis", which appears a couple of times.
> >
> > http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/MA...e/regions.html

> Towards the end of the first paragraph: "...the beef and mesquite of Texas
> simply do not qualify as barbecue..."
>
> He sure do have a pretty mouf.

That yahoo also has the bald-faced gall to utter the words:

"The simple vinegar sauces of the East Coast were supplanted by the sweet
tomato sauce of Memphis and the fiery red Texas swab. In western Kentucky,
mutton was substituted for pork, and the cattle ranchers of Texas used
barbecue techniques for slow-cooking beef (with these innovations,
southwestern Texans and western Kentuckians put themselves irrevocably
outside the "barbecue belt").

What's this guy thinking? First of all, it's CENTRAL TEXAS that has the
great BBQ traditions....not SW TEXAS.

And where does this miscreant get off by referring to a "fiery red Texas
swab". Texas is home to BBQ by smoke, not by sauce. In all the great
Central Texas BBQ joints, the sauce is an optional additive, often not
available in the best places. We like our BBQ served wrapped up in butcher
paper, that's it!

This guy obviously had deep-seated biases and probably is agoraphobic
(seeing as how he couldn't come down to Texas to see for himself) to have
written such a bolus of drivel.

John in Austin

Duwop

JakBQuik wrote:
> have written such a bolus of drivel.

"Bolus of drivel" I like that.

"JakBQuik" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]a bolus of drivel.

A well turned phrase, indeed!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

"Duwop" > wrote:
> JakBQuik wrote:
> > have written such a bolus of drivel.
> >

> "Bolus of drivel" I like that.

Like, "Spit on a Kingsford briquette and swallow it!"

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
AG

"cl" > wrote in message
<snip>
> Ribs actually both, dry and wet. Sweet tomato sauces but also just as many
> with vinegar combos.
>
> This thread really show the (lack of) knowledge of Dave and Dale.
>
> -CAL

Their "wet" ribs are nothing special so that is why they are not "known" for
them. That is not to say that they are not good. I have had some exceptional
"wet" memphis ribs, but the dry ribs are a unique treat.

ag

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Duwop"
> wrote:

> JakBQuik wrote:
> > have written such a bolus of drivel.
> >

> "Bolus of drivel" I like that.

or "Pile of CAL"

monroe(barbecue belt my ass)
Bill

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:34:38 -0500, cory >
wrote:

>> Bill > wrote:
>>

>>>Anybody know the general description of "Memphis Style Barbecue"?
>>>
>>>Bill

>This paper seems to be pretty well researched. Scan the page for the
>word "Memphis", which appears a couple of times.
>
>http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/MA...e/regions.html

Quite an interesting read on Barbecue...

Thanks Cory!

Bill

Dave Bugg

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> or "Pile of CAL"

ROTFL!!!

cl

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote...
> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
> > or "Pile of CAL"

> ROTFL!!!

Your one to talk.

-CAL

JakBQuik

"cl" > wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote...
> > Monroe, of course... wrote:
> >
> > > or "Pile of CAL"

> > ROTFL!!!

> Your one to talk.
>
> -CAL

Er.....snappy (although misspelled) comeback, Dude.

John in Austin

cl

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message

> "cl" > wrote in message

> > > ROTFL!!!

> > Your one to talk.
> >
> > -CAL

> Er.....snappy (although misspelled) comeback, Dude.

Why spell check (or even care) when you are talking to a few in the crew
that post in hillbilly dialect?

-CAL

cl

> wrote in message
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:53:24 GMT, "cl" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Why spell check (or even care) when you are talking to a few in the

crew
> > >that post in hillbilly dialect?

> > Ahh, another satisfied AFB customer.
> >
> > NEXT!
> >

> Yeah. I be anudda one. Even worse, I speaks in Bronx dialect. Stuff it,

CL!

Well if your gonna be that way I won't post the jpg of a few farm animals I
found to appease you guys.

-CAL

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:12:45 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>
> >Well if your gonna be that way I won't post the jpg of a few farm animals

> >found to appease you guys.

> That's good, since binaries don't belong in AFB. You really are new
> around here, aren't you?

Hillbilly jpg (Ascii art) , here is one just for you!

/"\
|\./|
| |
| |
|>~<|
| |
/'\| |/'\..
/~\| | | | \
| =[@]= | | \
| ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _____ /
|--//''`\--|
| (( +==)) |
|--\_|_//--|

"cl" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:

> crew
> > >
> > > Ahh, another satisfied AFB customer.
> > >
> > > NEXT!
> > >

> > Yeah. I be anudda one. Even worse, I speaks in Bronx dialect. Stuff it,

> CL!
>
> Well if your gonna be that way I won't post the jpg of a few farm animals
> I found to appease you guys.

Is postin' like stump trainin'? Ah hopes y'all apreshiates that ah safed yo
dum asses from that jpg! Ah no ah don' wan' no fahm animals appeasin' on
me!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Lou

Bob in socal wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:53:24 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>>> Er.....snappy (although misspelled) comeback, Dude.

>> Why spell check (or even care) when you are talking to a few in the
>> crew that post in hillbilly dialect?
>>
>> -CAL
>>

> Helpful Hillbilly Dictionary for reference!
>

> HEIDI: (noun) Greeting.
>
> HIRE YEW: (complete sentence) Remainder of greeting. Usage: "Heidi,
> hire yew?"
>
> BARD: (verb) Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow." Usage: "My
> brother bard my pickup truck."
>
> JAWJUH: (noun) The state north of Florida. Capital is Lanner. Usage:
> "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck."
>
> BAMMER: (noun) The state west of Jawjuh. Capital is Berminhayum.
> Usage: "A tornader jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in
> improvements."
>
> MUNTS: (noun) A calendar division. Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard
> my pickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."
>
> THANK: (verb) Cognitive process. Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have a Coke."
>
> RANCH: (noun) A tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage: "I thank I leff
> my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard
> a few munts ago."
>
> ALL: (noun) A petroleum-based lubricant. Usage: "I sure hope my
> brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."
>
> FAR: (noun) A conflagration. Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh don't
> change the all in my pickup truck, that thing's gonna catch far."
>
> TAR: (noun) A rubber wheel. Usage: "I hope that brother of mine from
> Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck."
>
> TI (noun) A tall monument. Usage: "Lord willin' and the creek don't
> rise, Ah sure hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Pars sometime."
>
> RETARD: (verb) To stop working. Usage: "My grampaw retard at age 65."
>
> FARN: (adjective) Not domestic. Usage: "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he
> sed .must be from some farn country."
>
> DID: (adjective) Not alive. Usage: "He's did, Jim."
>
> A (noun) A colorless, odorless gas; oxygen. Usage: "He cain't
> breathe give 'im some ARE!"
>
> BOB WAR: (noun) A sharp, twisted cable. Usage: "Boy, stay away from
> that bob war fence."
>

> Bob in socal...

"Ah thank Ah'll have a Coke".......I thought it was a "Co-Cola"....

Lou

Lou wrote:
> snip<
> "Ah thank Ah'll have a Coke".......I thought it was a "Co-Cola"....

My apologies to Lou. Having lurked here for a couple weeks, I didn't
realize there was a Lou out there already. I've changed my accout settings
to try to avoid confusion.

I also read a few threads about AFB etiquette. Sorry I didn't snip the
irrelevant stuff the first time.

Lou-Lou in NC

"Lou" > wrote:
> Lou wrote:
> > snip<
> > "Ah thank Ah'll have a Coke".......I thought it was a "Co-Cola"....

> My apologies to Lou. Having lurked here for a couple weeks, I didn't
> realize there was a Lou out there already. I've changed my accout
> settings to try to avoid confusion.
>
> I also read a few threads about AFB etiquette. Sorry I didn't snip the
> irrelevant stuff the first time.
>
> Lou-Lou in NC

Well, ya shure picked a real good thread ta getcher feet wet on!
Post some pics on alt.binaries.food if ya can, and welcome aboard.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick-Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Member

Uday Group is headquartered in Bangalore, India. We are a global provider of product and services, delivering a diverse range of products to the consumers. Founded in 1992, Uday Group took off by Marketing / Indenting for two leading Cable, PTFE/TEFLON Cable, UNINYVIN Cable/NYVIN Cable, RUBBER Cable/SILICONE Cable & Wire Manufacturers in India, for the supply of High-end specialty wires and cables, catering to the needs of Defense, Telecommunication and Space Application.