Robert

Default pastrami on the Traeger

1 picture on alt.binaries.food, same Subject

Decided to have a go at pastrami on my Dad's Traeger Lil Tex
(pellet smoker-grill). The recipe on the virtual weber site
was my guideline. Steps as follows:

1) trip to Penzeys for fresh peppercorns, coriander,
granulated garlic (Mpls uptown).
2) stopped at my local butcher in a search for curing
salts. He ended up just giving me a 1/2 cup from the back
room. Gotta love the butcher shop.
3) Drove to Duluth for the weekend (Dad & Sister live there)
4) pick up a 6# brisket flat at Mt Royal Fine Foods (Duluth
neighborhood). At least I think it was a flat, it was more
rectangular than triangular.
5) The brisket appeared to be in pretty good trim already,
so I put together the dry cure (curing salts, black pepper,
coriander, dark brown sugar, granulated garlic).
6) coated the brisket, double zip-locked it, and set it in
the lowest back corner of little Sisters spare refrigerator
in her basement.
7) extensive training of the sister and nephew on the
twice-daily turning of the brisket.
7a) post several 'TURN THE BRISKET' signs throughout the
house.
8) went home, came back a week later.
9) rinse, soak, rinse, soak, rinse, pat dry
10) rub the now-cured brisket. Cracked black pepper, ground
coriander, granulated garlic, thyme. Those blade type
coffee grinders that are only OK at grinding coffee are
GREAT for pepper and coriander. little Sister's kinda mad
at me, though.
11) Up the hill to Woodland (yet another Duluth
neighborhood) to Mom & Dad's. Load up the hopper with
Alder, fire it up on high. Once the dome temp gauge cruises
thru 220, flip it to smoke (the lowest setting).
12) outside temp today is mid 60's, not windy, the Traeger
is fairly stable swinging between 190 and 210 all day
(according to the dome thermometer). Every couple of hours
or so, you have to smooth over the pellets in the pellet
hopper, it is a gravity feed to an auger, and tends to
develop a caldera. We're only burning about 1/2 pound an
hour, but I usually top off the hopper anyways (hey, there
isn't much else to do with these things)
13) I have the Taylor temp probe gadget in the middle of the
flat and the alert temp set for 165. I'm moving about 10
degrees an hour until I hit 159. Big plateau. Took a full
two hours to start moving again.
14) It finally hit 165 at 5pm, seven hours pretty much to
the minute, took it off, double foiled it, stuck it in my
big styro cooler.
15) First slice at 7pm. Gorgeous. Succulent. Intensly
flavored. Everyone praises me. I am a genius.
16) Leave token amounts with little Sister and Mom & Dad and
abscond with the rest to the Twin Cities.
17) This barbecue stuff is easy.

robert
Duwop

Robert wrote:
<Snip good story with a happy ending>

>robert

Thank you for sharing that, nice!

Jeff Russell

Nice write up. I know because my mouth was watering when I read it.

"Robert" > wrote in message
> 1 picture on alt.binaries.food, same Subject
>
> Decided to have a go at pastrami on my Dad's Traeger Lil Tex
> (pellet smoker-grill). The recipe on the virtual weber site
> was my guideline. Steps as follows:
>
> 1) trip to Penzeys for fresh peppercorns, coriander,
> granulated garlic (Mpls uptown).
> 2) stopped at my local butcher in a search for curing
> salts. He ended up just giving me a 1/2 cup from the back
> room. Gotta love the butcher shop.
> 3) Drove to Duluth for the weekend (Dad & Sister live there)
> 4) pick up a 6# brisket flat at Mt Royal Fine Foods (Duluth
> neighborhood). At least I think it was a flat, it was more
> rectangular than triangular.
> 5) The brisket appeared to be in pretty good trim already,
> so I put together the dry cure (curing salts, black pepper,
> coriander, dark brown sugar, granulated garlic).
> 6) coated the brisket, double zip-locked it, and set it in
> the lowest back corner of little Sisters spare refrigerator
> in her basement.
> 7) extensive training of the sister and nephew on the
> twice-daily turning of the brisket.
> 7a) post several 'TURN THE BRISKET' signs throughout the
> house.
> 8) went home, came back a week later.
> 9) rinse, soak, rinse, soak, rinse, pat dry
> 10) rub the now-cured brisket. Cracked black pepper, ground
> coriander, granulated garlic, thyme. Those blade type
> coffee grinders that are only OK at grinding coffee are
> GREAT for pepper and coriander. little Sister's kinda mad
> at me, though.
> 11) Up the hill to Woodland (yet another Duluth
> neighborhood) to Mom & Dad's. Load up the hopper with
> Alder, fire it up on high. Once the dome temp gauge cruises
> thru 220, flip it to smoke (the lowest setting).
> 12) outside temp today is mid 60's, not windy, the Traeger
> is fairly stable swinging between 190 and 210 all day
> (according to the dome thermometer). Every couple of hours
> or so, you have to smooth over the pellets in the pellet
> hopper, it is a gravity feed to an auger, and tends to
> develop a caldera. We're only burning about 1/2 pound an
> hour, but I usually top off the hopper anyways (hey, there
> isn't much else to do with these things)
> 13) I have the Taylor temp probe gadget in the middle of the
> flat and the alert temp set for 165. I'm moving about 10
> degrees an hour until I hit 159. Big plateau. Took a full
> two hours to start moving again.
> 14) It finally hit 165 at 5pm, seven hours pretty much to
> the minute, took it off, double foiled it, stuck it in my
> big styro cooler.
> 15) First slice at 7pm. Gorgeous. Succulent. Intensly
> flavored. Everyone praises me. I am a genius.
> 16) Leave token amounts with little Sister and Mom & Dad and
> abscond with the rest to the Twin Cities.
> 17) This barbecue stuff is easy.
>
> robert

Dave Bugg

Jeff Russell wrote:

> Nice write up. I know because my mouth was watering when I read it.

Just an FYI, Jeff. Trim the text of the post you are replying to, and
bottom-post your response. It will help keep your communication in an
easy-to-follow context. Thanks, and welcome to AFB.
Dave

JakBQuik

"Robert" <wrote>

15) First slice at 7pm. Gorgeous. Succulent. Intensly
> flavored. Everyone praises me. I am a genius.

Excellent Roberto!! Yes..it is easy. Congrats. You chose an odd choice
for cooking .....that pastrami. You obviously payed the price in gas and
attention to details. That's the kinda report I love to read.

John in Austin

Cleaning Traeger Grills greg h Barbecue 3 11-04-2008 11:21 PM
Traeger [email protected] Barbecue 11 20-08-2007 07:34 PM
Looking for basic traeger receipts charlieb55 Barbecue 3 08-08-2007 05:53 AM
Traeger Gary Ingram Barbecue 22 01-09-2004 03:53 AM
Looking for Traeger tips CigarLawyer Barbecue 21 01-07-2004 11:55 PM