claire

Default participation invitation

Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,

This newsgroup has been randomly selected (along with several others) to
receive an invitation to partcipate in a study being conducted by Tom
Van Cantfort, Don Fawkes (Fayetteville State University, USA) and Claire
Hewson (Bolton Institute, UK).

The study involves reading a short research report on cures for
'scrofula' and then answering a series of questions, taking around 10
minutes to complete. It can be accessed and completed online by visiting:

http://www.acs.bolton.ac.uk/~ch5/questionnaire.html

Of course, we will be happy to share the results with anyone who is
interested. Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to take part; we very
much appreciate your time. Please excuse this brief interruption to the
main theme of the newsgroup.

Claire.
--------
Claire Hewson,
Lecturer in Psychology,
Bolton Institute,
Deane Road,
Bolton, BL3 5AB.
Email:
Tel.: 01204 903682

pavane

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news

> >Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,
> >
> >This newsgroup has been randomly selected (along with several others) to
> >receive an invitation to partcipate in a study being conducted by Tom
> >Van Cantfort, Don Fawkes (Fayetteville State University, USA) and Claire
> >Hewson (Bolton Institute, UK).

> It's basically a study to find out how stupid and gullible you
> are. +10 points right off the bat for even filling out the survey
> (+1 point to me for even looking at it).

But wait ... are they not paying us for our time in filling
out their survey???

pavane

"pavane" > wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > >Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,
> > >
> > >This newsgroup has been randomly selected (along with several others)
> > >to receive an invitation to partcipate in a study being conducted by
> > >Tom Van Cantfort, Don Fawkes (Fayetteville State University, USA) and
> > >Claire Hewson (Bolton Institute, UK).

> > It's basically a study to find out how stupid and gullible you
> > are. +10 points right off the bat for even filling out the survey
> > (+1 point to me for even looking at it).
> >

> But wait ... are they not paying us for our time in filling
> out their survey???

What? Are ya a bloody Heathen? You'll be touched by The Saint!
People been tellin' me I'm a little tetched fer years.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
BOB

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:19:49 +0100, claire >
> wrote:
>

>> Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,
>>
>> This newsgroup has been randomly selected (along with several others) to
>> receive an invitation to partcipate in a study being conducted by Tom
>> Van Cantfort, Don Fawkes (Fayetteville State University, USA) and Claire
>> Hewson (Bolton Institute, UK).

> It's basically a study to find out how stupid and gullible you
> are. +10 points right off the bat for even filling out the survey
> (+1 point to me for even looking at it).
>
> -sw

I just want to know what "scrofula" is, but I'm not giving them my e-mail
address just to find out.
;-)

BOB
+10 points more to Steve for the heads up

BOB

BOB wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:19:49 +0100, claire >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,
>>>
>>> This newsgroup has been randomly selected (along with several others) to
>>> receive an invitation to partcipate in a study being conducted by Tom
>>> Van Cantfort, Don Fawkes (Fayetteville State University, USA) and Claire
>>> Hewson (Bolton Institute, UK).

>> It's basically a study to find out how stupid and gullible you
>> are. +10 points right off the bat for even filling out the survey
>> (+1 point to me for even looking at it).
>>
>> -sw

> I just want to know what "scrofula" is, but I'm not giving them my e-mail
> address just to find out.
> ;-)
>
> BOB
> +10 points more to Steve for the heads up

I just did a google search...another scare tactic, I think...

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:50:20 -0400, " BOB" >
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:19:49 +0100, claire >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear alt.food.barbecue subscribers,
>>>

>> It's basically a study to find out how stupid and gullible you
>> are. +10 points right off the bat for even filling out the survey
>> (+1 point to me for even looking at it).
>>
>> -sw

>I just want to know what "scrofula" is, but I'm not giving them my e-mail
>address just to find out.
>;-)
>
>BOB
>+10 points more to Steve for the heads up

'Scrofula' = nasty suppuration from the lymphatic glands of a sow.
Well, you really wanted to know, eh Bob.

Harry

Spud

> I just want to know what "scrofula" is, but I'm not giving them my e-mail
> address just to find out.
> ;-)
>
> BOB
> +10 points more to Steve for the heads up

Ball Sack silly!

Spud

ch5

Dear Subscribers,

many thanks to those of you who have taken time to fill in the
questionnaire.

I should have probably mentioned this in the original posting, but any
discussion of the study, and postings to the newsgroup containing
information about the questionnaire, poses a threat to data validity.
Hence we won't be able to include any subsequent responses in our final
data set (but by all means fill it in if you are now curious!).

The study was simply a non-commercial psychological investigation of
people's beliefs about scientific explanations. We are also interested
in the scope of the Internet as a method for accessing participants to
respond to questionnaires.

thanks again for your time,
Claire.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:02:13 +0100, ch5 > wrote:

<Posted and e-mailed>

>Dear Subscribers,
>
>many thanks to those of you who have taken time to fill in the
>questionnaire.
>
>I should have probably mentioned this in the original posting, but any
>discussion of the study, and postings to the newsgroup containing
>information about the questionnaire, poses a threat to data validity.

You know what else poses a threat to data validity? The fact that
many, many people dislike drive-by posters who think Usenet exists so
they can get others to do their homework for them, or that it's some
sort of advertising medium, or that it exists so that data can be
mined to fine-tune a marketing campaign. Such people have been known
to complete questionnaires with absolutely bogus information. Be a
shame if that were to happen to your survey;

>Hence we won't be able to include any subsequent responses in our final
>data set (but by all means fill it in if you are now curious!).
>
>The study was simply a non-commercial psychological investigation of
>people's beliefs about scientific explanations.

What possible difference does it make if it was a commercial
investigation or a non-commercial investigation? Either way, it
amounts to you barging into a room where people are talking about one
thing and demanding that they turn their attention to you, because you
have something VERY IMPORTANT to say--even though it has nothing to do
with what people were talking about before you stumbled into the room.

>We are also interested
>in the scope of the Internet as a method for accessing participants to
>respond to questionnaires.

Usenet isn't the Internet, and it isn't your private laboratory,
either. As for using it to get people to fill out questionnaires . . .
well, enjoy your bogus data.

>thanks again for your time,
>Claire.

And thank you for an utterly appalling display of bad manners.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho