this old user

Default Experience with Brinkmann 2500 Gas Grill from Walmart

My first post. After I read a bit I think I should stay away from Brinkmann
and get a Webber! But I thought I'd share this for the benefit of others.

I just bought and then had to return a Brinkmann 2500 gas grill from
Walmart. The price was $283. I was pleased with the options for the price:
stainless top and doors plus side burner in addition to four grill burners.
However looking at it in the store it seemed to me the porcelain grates were
too far away from the grill to generate much heat, perhaps as much as eight
inches away. This was in stark contrast to the smaller Brinkmann 2000 model
which had only three inches from grill to grates (it's a smart looking unit
for only $177 so I'm tempted to try it). There was no mention on the box of
BTU or cooking area (and I can't find anything online). And every
manufacture seems to have an identical label and similar box, which I guess
Walmart has asked them to use to make it easy for the customer.
Unfortunately it actually deprives the customer of comparing important
values. But I took a chance anyway because I knew I could return everything
for a full refund, and I did.

Assembly went well, except for the first time we mounted the base backwards.
Tools were included. The only complaint is they should have provided washer
for the bolts. Duh!

Unfortunately when it came time to actually use the grill the regulator
leaked, and not just a little. You could hear the gas escaping, long before
I tried the link test which proved the location of the problem. But I did
light it up just to see about the heat and my hunch was right I think that
you were never going to sear anything on this grill.

So back in went, after about five hours round-trip from selection, purchase,
driving home and assembling it, testing, taking it apart, returning it and
processing the refund. Just now my wife called me to say the toaster we also
bought there also doesn't work. All I can think of is this particular
Walmart isn't one of the cleanest I've seen (reminded me of an old K-mart)
so maybe the people do not take a lot of care with their products.

jdoe

Has nothing to do with hwere you bought but what you bought.
Larry
"this old user" > wrote in message
> My first post. After I read a bit I think I should stay away from

Brinkmann
> and get a Webber! But I thought I'd share this for the benefit of others.
>
> I just bought and then had to return a Brinkmann 2500 gas grill from
> Walmart. The price was $283. I was pleased with the options for the price:
> stainless top and doors plus side burner in addition to four grill

burners.
> However looking at it in the store it seemed to me the porcelain grates

were
> too far away from the grill to generate much heat, perhaps as much as

eight
> inches away. This was in stark contrast to the smaller Brinkmann 2000

model
> which had only three inches from grill to grates (it's a smart looking

unit
> for only $177 so I'm tempted to try it). There was no mention on the box

of
> BTU or cooking area (and I can't find anything online). And every
> manufacture seems to have an identical label and similar box, which I

guess
> Walmart has asked them to use to make it easy for the customer.
> Unfortunately it actually deprives the customer of comparing important
> values. But I took a chance anyway because I knew I could return

everything
> for a full refund, and I did.
>
> Assembly went well, except for the first time we mounted the base

backwards.
> Tools were included. The only complaint is they should have provided

washer
> for the bolts. Duh!
>
> Unfortunately when it came time to actually use the grill the regulator
> leaked, and not just a little. You could hear the gas escaping, long

before
> I tried the link test which proved the location of the problem. But I did
> light it up just to see about the heat and my hunch was right I think that
> you were never going to sear anything on this grill.
>
> So back in went, after about five hours round-trip from selection,

purchase,
> driving home and assembling it, testing, taking it apart, returning it and
> processing the refund. Just now my wife called me to say the toaster we

also
> bought there also doesn't work. All I can think of is this particular
> Walmart isn't one of the cleanest I've seen (reminded me of an old K-mart)
> so maybe the people do not take a lot of care with their products.

M&M

Man, you really need to learn how to snip the superfluous
garbage. When people have to hunt to find out what you
are talking about, you way off base. And who needs a page
and a half of crap that's already been posted?
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Duwop

M&M wrote:
> Man, you really need to learn how to snip the superfluous
> garbage. When people have to hunt to find out what you
> are talking about, you way off base. And who needs a page
> and a half of crap that's already been posted?

WTF you talking about Bricker? You snipped out who you're replying to. LMAO!

Wayne Boatwright

"this old user" > wrote in
:

> My first post. After I read a bit I think I should stay away from
> Brinkmann and get a Webber! But I thought I'd share this for the
> benefit of others.

We LOVE our Brinkmann 2500 Pro just as much as our previous Weber Genesis.
The Brinkmann easily generates more than enough heat...700 degrees if
enough preheat time is allowed, although that's usually hotter than we need
for most things.

The grates are definitely not too far away from the burners. Realize that
the Brinkmann's burners are cast iron, not stainless steel or aluminum, and
throw off additional radiant heat once they're preheated.

Both the Brinkman and the Weber are very good performers, especially for
the money. The construction differs, of course, but part of grilling well
is knowing your grill.

Wayne

Herman Munster

I also picked up one of the 2500. I love it. Cast iron grates and burners
were the main selling point. Brass was just a bit out of my range. For the
price I think it is a great unit.
JMHO
Mark

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "this old user" > wrote in
> :
>
> > My first post. After I read a bit I think I should stay away from
> > Brinkmann and get a Webber! But I thought I'd share this for the
> > benefit of others.

> We LOVE our Brinkmann 2500 Pro just as much as our previous Weber Genesis.
> The Brinkmann easily generates more than enough heat...700 degrees if
> enough preheat time is allowed, although that's usually hotter than we

need
> for most things.
>
> The grates are definitely not too far away from the burners. Realize that
> the Brinkmann's burners are cast iron, not stainless steel or aluminum,

and
> throw off additional radiant heat once they're preheated.
>
> Both the Brinkman and the Weber are very good performers, especially for
> the money. The construction differs, of course, but part of grilling well
> is knowing your grill.
>
> Wayne

Jason in Dallas

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
>> The grates are definitely not too far away from the burners. Realize

that
> the Brinkmann's burners are cast iron, not stainless steel or aluminum,

and
> throw off additional radiant heat once they're preheated.

Your amateur thermodynamics are leading you to false conclusions. Week One
of any physics class: "Energy can be neither created nor destroyed."

You could have a metric ton of cast iron in there and it'd still run just as
hot as otherwise - it'd just take longer to heat up and longer to cool down
afterward. When you say the CI burners "throw off additional radiant heat
once they're preheated" that's because part of the heat is used to heat them
instead of the meat and bars above. There is no additional total heat output
at all in this scenario available to the meat. The gain in radiant heat is
proportionately offest by the loss in heat from the flame. What do you want
to heat up with those flames: the burners or your food?

Actually, your scenario is worse for cooking now that I think more about it.
Since the CI burners absorb part of the heat from the flames and turn it
into infrared radiant heat approximately half of the IR radiant heat is
radiated downwards away from the meat whereas flames carry the majority of
the heat upwatds towards the meat. It's like having an army of machine guns
and telling half of them to aim away from the target.

Wayne Boatwright

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in
om:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>>> The grates are definitely not too far away from the burners.
>>> Realize

> that
>> the Brinkmann's burners are cast iron, not stainless steel or
>> aluminum,

> and
>> throw off additional radiant heat once they're preheated.

> Your amateur thermodynamics are leading you to false conclusions.
> Week One of any physics class: "Energy can be neither created nor
> destroyed."
>
> You could have a metric ton of cast iron in there and it'd still run
> just as hot as otherwise - it'd just take longer to heat up and longer
> to cool down afterward. When you say the CI burners "throw off
> additional radiant heat once they're preheated" that's because part of
> the heat is used to heat them instead of the meat and bars above.
> There is no additional total heat output at all in this scenario
> available to the meat. The gain in radiant heat is proportionately
> offest by the loss in heat from the flame. What do you want to heat up
> with those flames: the burners or your food?
>
> Actually, your scenario is worse for cooking now that I think more
> about it. Since the CI burners absorb part of the heat from the flames
> and turn it into infrared radiant heat approximately half of the IR
> radiant heat is radiated downwards away from the meat whereas flames
> carry the majority of the heat upwatds towards the meat. It's like
> having an army of machine guns and telling half of them to aim away
> from the target.

While I appreciate your explanation, the fact remains that it performs
equally well if not better than the Weber Genesis I owned previously.
Technical assertions aside, the heat is more than adequate.

Wayne

cl

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >> The grates are definitely not too far away from the burners. Realize

> that
> > the Brinkmann's burners are cast iron, not stainless steel or aluminum,

> and
> > throw off additional radiant heat once they're preheated.

> Your amateur thermodynamics are leading you to false conclusions. Week

One
> of any physics class: "Energy can be neither created nor destroyed."

So where did energy come from in the first place

> You could have a metric ton of cast iron in there and it'd still run just

as
> hot as otherwise - it'd just take longer to heat up and longer to cool

down
> afterward. When you say the CI burners "throw off additional radiant heat
> once they're preheated" that's because part of the heat is used to heat

them
> instead of the meat and bars above. There is no additional total heat

output
> at all in this scenario available to the meat. The gain in radiant heat is
> proportionately offest by the loss in heat from the flame. What do you

want
> to heat up with those flames: the burners or your food?

....or the atmosphere.

You forget the amount of energy that is lost thru the gas grills venting.
Now technically, the metal plates or rocks above the burners are the true
capturer of the energy. The more heat you hold in the grill, the longer the
energy is retained for cooking before venting. The cast burners are more to
prevent burnout and preferrably stay cooler.

And PS, flames are *not* normally doing the cooking because they are
shielded to prevent direct contact with the grease. So a gas grill works
more like a preheated cast iron pan. The element just heats the pan which in
turn cooks the meat. So like ceramic in a K, to a point the more cast iron
in the setup the more efficient it will be due to minimizing atomspheric
loses. If the energy is retain in the system, temperatures will rise.

> Actually, your scenario is worse for cooking now that I think more about

it.
> Since the CI burners absorb part of the heat from the flames and turn it
> into infrared radiant heat approximately half of the IR radiant heat is
> radiated downwards away from the meat whereas flames carry the majority of
> the heat upwatds towards the meat. It's like having an army of machine

guns
> and telling half of them to aim away from the target.

And once the radiant energy bounces off the bottom where does it go?

-CAL

cl

"Herman Munster" > wrote in message
> I also picked up one of the 2500. I love it. Cast iron grates and

burners
> were the main selling point. Brass was just a bit out of my range. For

the
> price I think it is a great unit.
> JMHO
> Mark

Lastweek, I helped my father put together one of the uniflame units he got
at walmart. If that isn't one of the sweetest bargains around I don't know
what is. I think he gave $188 for it: 4cast burners, sideburner, electric
ignition. It is a nice little grill and the ambient temps got to 650df (I
didn't have a thermo to measure the grate temps). This unit *seems* to be
the same as one of the Kenmore elites that I've seen in the past for $589
IIRC.

He was going to get a 2500 but gladly got this uniflame instead. For the
price I might have to blaspheme myself and get one for burgers.

-CAL