Bill

Default Are the Jenn Air grills at Lowe's a sham?

I am in the process of purchasing a new gas grill. I am seeking a very good
quality grill that is also aesthetically pleasing. If aesthetics weren't
important, I'd probably go with a Weber Genesis Gold B.

I've found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - the Jenn Air
720-0061-LP at Lowe's. Jenn Air is a quality brand and this model is all
stainless steel. It actually appears to have better parts than the
comparable Weber grills, such as cast brass burners and thick stainless
steel cooking grates.

BUT, I've learned that this particular grill is manufactured by Nexgrill.
Nexgrill's support line, (800) 554-5799, is only an answering machine in
which the mailbox is usually full. On a few occasions I've been able to
leave a message, but my calls have never been returned.

A positive on Jenn Air grills is that their JA460P model was the top-rated
grill by Consumer Reports in June 2003. However, this model is made by CFM
Harris. The only similarity between the Nexgrill 720-0061-LP that I'm
considering and the grill rated by Consumer Reports is the "Jenn Air" plaque
affixed to the grill cover.

Basically, I'm getting a bit nervous about buying the 720-0061-LP. It
appears to be a better quality and better looking grill than comparably
priced Weber grills. [1] But it is not manufactured by Jenn Air. [2] It is
not related to the grill rated by Consumer Reports. [3] And customer service
is completely MIA.

Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2] always
get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.

Thoughts... Suggestions...

Bill484923

Go with the Weber unless you want to spend a lot more a REAl Jennair made by
Maytag/Dynasty is around $1500.00
Nathan Lau

Bill wrote:
> Basically, I'm getting a bit nervous about buying the 720-0061-LP. It
> appears to be a better quality and better looking grill than comparably
> priced Weber grills. [1] But it is not manufactured by Jenn Air. [2] It is
> not related to the grill rated by Consumer Reports. [3] And customer service
> is completely MIA.
>
> Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2] always
> get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.
>
> Thoughts... Suggestions...

You seem to have answered your own question.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Jason in Dallas

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I am in the process of purchasing a new gas grill. I am seeking a very

good quality grill that is also aesthetically pleasing.

Then get a Viking or DCS or similar.

> If aesthetics weren't important, I'd probably go with a Weber Genesis Gold

B.

This tells me you have another concern: price. Anyhow, a stainless outer
body can be tough to keep looking its best but the enameled finsih on a
Weber is painless to keep shiny.

> I've found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - the Jenn Air

720-0061-LP at Lowe's. (snip)

Perhaps an OK grill but support sucks as you have discovered, and
replacement parts' future availability is questionable at best and already
tough to get now. That Jenn Air will likely prove to be a disposable grill.
Another pretty but disposable grill is the SS grill sold at Sams Wholesale
for something like $600.

I suggest you get a boring black Weber Genesis if you want to spend well
under $1000, a Weber Summit if you can spend about a grand, or a DCS if you
can spend more. If you get a Weber Genesis make sure to get it with the
enameled cast iron grates from Home Depot.

Johnny Quest

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I am in the process of purchasing a new gas grill. I am seeking a very

good
> quality grill that is also aesthetically pleasing. If aesthetics weren't
> important, I'd probably go with a Weber Genesis Gold B.
>
> I've found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - the Jenn Air
> 720-0061-LP at Lowe's. Jenn Air is a quality brand and this model is all
> stainless steel. It actually appears to have better parts than the
> comparable Weber grills, such as cast brass burners and thick stainless
> steel cooking grates.
>
> BUT, I've learned that this particular grill is manufactured by Nexgrill.
> Nexgrill's support line, (800) 554-5799, is only an answering machine in
> which the mailbox is usually full. On a few occasions I've been able to
> leave a message, but my calls have never been returned.
>
> A positive on Jenn Air grills is that their JA460P model was the top-rated
> grill by Consumer Reports in June 2003. However, this model is made by CFM
> Harris. The only similarity between the Nexgrill 720-0061-LP that I'm
> considering and the grill rated by Consumer Reports is the "Jenn Air"

plaque
> affixed to the grill cover.
>
> Basically, I'm getting a bit nervous about buying the 720-0061-LP. It
> appears to be a better quality and better looking grill than comparably
> priced Weber grills. [1] But it is not manufactured by Jenn Air. [2] It is
> not related to the grill rated by Consumer Reports. [3] And customer

service
> is completely MIA.
>
> Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2] always
> get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.
>
> Thoughts... Suggestions...

I work at Lowes and assemble the grills.
The Jenn Air's are a joke. We get a lot of complaints.
The Coleman Grills are exceptionally well made and fuel effecient.
They rival the Webers on quality and size, are pleasing to look at
and clean up the easiest of all. They are pretty heavy though,
and you need to be reasonably good at assembly and have a solid place
to keep it. The assembly instructions that come with it are very good .
The burners run front to back as opposed to Weber's side to side.
We have a Coleman 5100 and a Weber Silver B out back and most
of us prefer the Coleman over the Weber due to it's larger grill capacity,
less fuel usage and the fact it's $180 less. With the lower price, it's
worth
it to have Lowes assemble it. You will need a pick up and two strong
guys to get it home.

HTH
John Q.
..

jdoe

It's a Chinese import and yes it seems that's all the support you get. I
fell for something similar. Never again! Weber all the way. Expensive? Yes!
Worth it? You bet!
Larry
"Bill" > wrote in message
> I am in the process of purchasing a new gas grill. I am seeking a very

good
> quality grill that is also aesthetically pleasing. If aesthetics weren't
> important, I'd probably go with a Weber Genesis Gold B.
>
> I've found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - the Jenn Air
> 720-0061-LP at Lowe's. Jenn Air is a quality brand and this model is all
> stainless steel. It actually appears to have better parts than the
> comparable Weber grills, such as cast brass burners and thick stainless
> steel cooking grates.
>
> BUT, I've learned that this particular grill is manufactured by Nexgrill.
> Nexgrill's support line, (800) 554-5799, is only an answering machine in
> which the mailbox is usually full. On a few occasions I've been able to
> leave a message, but my calls have never been returned.
>
> A positive on Jenn Air grills is that their JA460P model was the top-rated
> grill by Consumer Reports in June 2003. However, this model is made by CFM
> Harris. The only similarity between the Nexgrill 720-0061-LP that I'm
> considering and the grill rated by Consumer Reports is the "Jenn Air"

plaque
> affixed to the grill cover.
>
> Basically, I'm getting a bit nervous about buying the 720-0061-LP. It
> appears to be a better quality and better looking grill than comparably
> priced Weber grills. [1] But it is not manufactured by Jenn Air. [2] It is
> not related to the grill rated by Consumer Reports. [3] And customer

service
> is completely MIA.
>
> Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2] always
> get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.
>
> Thoughts... Suggestions...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I am in the process of purchasing a new gas grill. I am seeking a very

good
> quality grill that is also aesthetically pleasing. If aesthetics weren't
> important, I'd probably go with a Weber Genesis Gold B.
>
> I've found what appears to be exactly what I'm looking for - the Jenn Air
> 720-0061-LP at Lowe's. Jenn Air is a quality brand and this model is all
> stainless steel.

The Jenn air name has been whored.

If you want a good grill, buy a real Vermont Castings (not the Home Depot
version), MHP, Broilmaster, Broil King, Ellipse, etc. Visit a propane
dealer or a place that specializes in outdoor products.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Bill

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Aren't there some positives,
though, with regards to the Nexgrill manufactured Jenn Air grill??? Is it
really as bad as the comments that have been made? A summary:

m...

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> It's a Chinese import and yes it seems that's all the support you get. I
> fell for something similar. Never again! Weber all the way. Expensive?

Yes!
> Worth it? You bet!

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..
> The Jenn air name has been whored.
> If you want a good grill, buy a real Vermont Castings (not the Home Depot
> version), MHP, Broilmaster, Broil King, Ellipse, etc.

As I mentioned in the original post, the Jenn Air 720-0061-LP does appear to
have good parts, including cast brass burners and thick stainless steel
cooking grates. Certainly better than comparibly priced Weber grills.

Also, the demand for this grill is quite high. Out of the 6 Lowes stores in
my metroplex, only 1 still has this model in stock. Are all the buyers of
this grill clueless?

What gives?!?!?! Thanks, all.

Bill

Dave Bugg

Bill wrote:

> Also, the demand for this grill is quite high. Out of the 6 Lowes
> stores in my metroplex, only 1 still has this model in stock. Are all
> the buyers of this grill clueless?

No, it's us that are clueless. Go with the masses and get the Jen Air. Or
get a Kamado.
www.kamado.com

Charles Demas

In article >,
Dave Bugg <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
>Bill wrote:
>
>> Also, the demand for this grill is quite high. Out of the 6 Lowes
>> stores in my metroplex, only 1 still has this model in stock. Are all
>> the buyers of this grill clueless?

>No, it's us that are clueless. Go with the masses and get the Jen Air. Or
>get a Kamado.
>www.kamado.com

Nobody has ever gone broke by underestimating the intellegence
of the (American) public.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

pilgrim13

"Bill" > wrote in message news

<snip>

> Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2] always
> get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.

I was looking at the same grill and had it against the Weber Gold C.
I did not go with the Jenn Air because the only thing "Jenn Air" about
it is the badge. Every part is special order.

Went with the Weber Gold C. Terrific Customer Support, parts just
about everywhere and reputation and ratings to boot...as you pretty
much summarized above.

Stan
TFM®

Bill wrote:

> Also, the demand for this grill is quite high. Out of the 6 Lowes stores

in
> my metroplex, only 1 still has this model in stock. Are all the buyers of
> this grill clueless?

Once again you've answered your own question.

No one ever went broke by over-estimating the stupidty of the American
public.

TFM®

JD

"TFM®" > wrote in message
om
> Bill wrote:
>

>> Also, the demand for this grill is quite high. Out of the 6 Lowes
>> stores in my metroplex, only 1 still has this model in stock. Are
>> all the buyers of this grill clueless?

> Once again you've answered your own question.
>
> No one ever went broke by over-estimating the stupidty of the American
> public.

The current tenant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is living proof of that<g>

JD

Anon

JD wrote:
> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> om
>>
>> No one ever went broke by over-estimating the stupidty of the
>> American public.
>>

> The current tenant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is living proof of
> that<g>

http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2004/04/28/

Dave Bugg

Anon wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> "TFM®" > wrote in message
>> om
>>>
>>> No one ever went broke by over-estimating the stupidty of the
>>> American public.
>>>

>> The current tenant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is living proof of
>> that<g>

> http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2004/04/28/

Keep your politics out of the NG, please.

WiScottsin

"sod0783" > wrote in
> Although you want a slick looking grill, reliability is definatly more
> important. Why can't Weber make their grills all stainless and
> symmetrical? Only if you want to pay $2000.

Maybe they actually think that function matters over form. Or maybe they
think that there are still people that value performance over vanity.

Either way, who cares - they make a great reasonably priced product that
works well. And I for one am glad that they do.

CSS

I would like to have some of the people who bite for the fancy SS grills at
various retailers give us an update on their satisfaction, say, five years
down the road. Webers may not look as pretty as some, but you can be sure
that you'll get great service and any needed parts into the future. The
other vendors-- well, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

"sod0783" > wrote in message
om...
> (pilgrim13) wrote in message

. com>...
> > "Bill" > wrote in message news
> >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Weber grills, on the other hand, are [1] manufactured by Weber, [2]

always
> > > get great ratings, and [3] have terrific customer service.
> > >

> > I was looking at the same grill and had it against the Weber Gold C.
> > I did not go with the Jenn Air because the only thing "Jenn Air" about
> > it is the badge. Every part is special order.
> >
> > Went with the Weber Gold C. Terrific Customer Support, parts just
> > about everywhere and reputation and ratings to boot...as you pretty
> > much summarized above.
> >
> > Stan

> I was also trying to decide between the JennAir 720-0061-LP and the
> Weber Gold C. Tough decision. The JennAir is alot better looking.
> And the all stainless exterior is nice. The Weber has some features
> the Jenn Air lacks, such as built in fuel gauge, tool hooks, flip up
> shelves, and better drip pan. None of these are a huge deal to me
> though.
> Everyone I've asked about grills aways replies Weber Weber Weber,
> before I even tell them what I'm looking at. I've been trying to
> decide for a couple weeks now, and thanks to your posts I'm going to
> be getting a Weber Gold C.
>
> Although you want a slick looking grill, reliability is definatly more
> important. Why can't Weber make their grills all stainless and
> symmetrical? Only if you want to pay $2000.

jdoe

I'll amen that! Fell for the shiny SS. Works ok but it ain't no weber!
Larry
"CSS" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I would like to have some of the people who bite for the fancy SS grills

at
> various retailers give us an update on their satisfaction, say, five years
> down the road. Webers may not look as pretty as some, but you can be sure
> that you'll get great service and any needed parts into the future. The
> other vendors-- well, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
>

> "sod0783" > wrote in message
> om...
> > (pilgrim13) wrote in message

> . com>...
> > > "Bill" > wrote in message news
> > >
> > > <snip>

> always
> > > >
> > > I was looking at the same grill and had it against the Weber Gold C.
> > > I did not go with the Jenn Air because the only thing "Jenn Air" about
> > > it is the badge. Every part is special order.
> > >
> > > Went with the Weber Gold C. Terrific Customer Support, parts just
> > > about everywhere and reputation and ratings to boot...as you pretty
> > > much summarized above.
> > >
> > > Stan

> > I was also trying to decide between the JennAir 720-0061-LP and the
> > Weber Gold C. Tough decision. The JennAir is alot better looking.
> > And the all stainless exterior is nice. The Weber has some features
> > the Jenn Air lacks, such as built in fuel gauge, tool hooks, flip up
> > shelves, and better drip pan. None of these are a huge deal to me
> > though.
> > Everyone I've asked about grills aways replies Weber Weber Weber,
> > before I even tell them what I'm looking at. I've been trying to
> > decide for a couple weeks now, and thanks to your posts I'm going to
> > be getting a Weber Gold C.
> >
> > Although you want a slick looking grill, reliability is definatly more
> > important. Why can't Weber make their grills all stainless and
> > symmetrical? Only if you want to pay $2000.

Eric D

> I would like to have some of the people who bite for the fancy SS grills at
> various retailers give us an update on their satisfaction, say, five years
> down the road.

Well, it's not five years down the road, but about a week for me.
Yes, I bought one of the SS super grills. Here are my findings so far:

Good Points,
Pretty easy to keep looking good. Cleans up well.
Holds heat in well...outside of grill stays cooler then my old grill
Looks great on my deck.
I got it for $100 off because it was a display unit and had some
scratches that cleaned up with scotch-bright pad.
They have a new tech support number that does answer.
Some missing parts on mine are on their way to me after talking with
tech support.

Bad points,
Have to preheat the grill a LONG time to have it come up to temp.
The temp never gets as high as I would like it too.

If there is an interest I'll update more as I get more time on it. At
this point, I feel the unit lacks in the grill temp and I would not
spend the retail price for one. If I had it to do over with what I
know now I may have gone to something else. I may change this as I
get more time of the grill and see if I can fine ways to make it work
better for me, even if it means modifing some things.

Eric D

joe

cl wrote:
> I'm sorry but I am an idiot. My name has been changed
>to Blower. The majority of the people that think that I am an
> ass are correct
>
> -CAL

HUH?

cl

"joe" > wrote in message
> cl wrote:
> > I'm sorry but I am an idiot. My name has been changed
> >to Blower. The majority of the people that think that I am an
> > ass are correct
> >
> > -CAL

> HUH?

That was someone else spoofing my name.

-CAL

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "joe" >
wrote:

> cl wrote:
> > I'm sorry but I am an idiot. My name has been changed
> >to Blower. The majority of the people that think that I am an
> > ass are correct
> >
> > -CAL

> HUH?

Admitting you have a problem it the first step....

monroe(agreeing with CAL here for once)

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "joe" >
wrote:

> cl wrote:
> > I'm sorry but I am an idiot. My name has been changed
> >to Blower. The majority of the people that think that I am an
> > ass are correct
> >
> > -CAL

> HUH?

Admitting you have a problem it the first step....

monroe(agreeing with CAL here for once)
cl

"Vern" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:16:38 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>

> >"joe" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> HUH?

> >That was someone else spoofing my name.
> >
> >-CAL
> >

> Bullshit.
>
> The headers all match right down to the IP addy, CALitosis.

Um dumbass, there is no actual post just a quoted reply. So how exactly are
you checking the IP of a post that never existed.

-CAL

cl

"Vern" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:16:38 GMT, "cl" > wrote:
>

> >"joe" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> HUH?

> >That was someone else spoofing my name.
> >
> >-CAL
> >

> Bullshit.
>
> The headers all match right down to the IP addy, CALitosis.

Um dumbass, there is no actual post just a quoted reply. So how exactly are
you checking the IP of a post that never existed.

-CAL

Duwop

"bubba" > wrote in message > >
> >Shall we alert PETA? Actually I changed my mind, drop the anon part of my
> >accusation. So what is you name vern?

> Bubba...

So, is Bubba your first or last name? Bubba Vern? Either way, you be way
smarter than CALonic.

Duwop

"bubba" > wrote in message > >
> >Shall we alert PETA? Actually I changed my mind, drop the anon part of my
> >accusation. So what is you name vern?

> Bubba...

So, is Bubba your first or last name? Bubba Vern? Either way, you be way
smarter than CALonic.

cl

"Duwop" > wrote in message

>Either way, you be way
> smarter than CALonic.

Dale, great grammar you have and the weight of your insults are quite a
burden to bare. Kinda reminds me of a preschooler telling an adult, 'your
stupid'

It is funny the amount of bandwidth you shit flinging chimps waste trolling
me yet attack others for misusing the newsgroup. You guys need to get out of
your mother's basement for awhile. Dale it would probably be good for you
plus it would be more gratifying than your minute long masturbatory sessions
that you have while admiring the trailor park queens on your Tivoed Jerry
Springer repeats. Your the man.

-CAL

cl

"oillogger" > wrote in message
om...
> I contacted Jenn-Air today and they told me they do not handle any
> part of the warranty of service of the Jenn-Air stainless grills that
> is sold at Lowe's. They did give me 3 Nexgrill numbers,
> 800-554-5799(got an answering machine), 615-822-8258(did not try), and
> 800-298-7927(did not work). The Lowe's Jenn-Air(Nexgrill) looks great
> but there may little or no support. You may not be able to order
> parts in a couple of years. Too bad some of the managers at Jenn-Air
> allowed their name on the product. This kinda lowers the quality of
> the Jenn-Air name. There appears to be a lot of potential in the
> Negrill products without any longterm commitment to their products. A
> great grill today that is left on the side of the road tomorrow when
> you cannot get some basic repair part. What a way to ruin a business.
> Weber, I am coming back home into the arms of a new Genesis Silver B
> Premium!

The Jenn Air 461P that got rave reviews in CR (and basically the same as the
460P that CooksIll and ConsumerReport likes last year) is still sold by
lowes. It is made by vermont castings (division of CFM harris). I called a
month ago because the temp gauge was off ant they sent me a new one, no
questions asked.

Either way, you will be happy

-CAL

cl

"oillogger" > wrote in message
om...
> I contacted Jenn-Air today and they told me they do not handle any
> part of the warranty of service of the Jenn-Air stainless grills that
> is sold at Lowe's. They did give me 3 Nexgrill numbers,
> 800-554-5799(got an answering machine), 615-822-8258(did not try), and
> 800-298-7927(did not work). The Lowe's Jenn-Air(Nexgrill) looks great
> but there may little or no support. You may not be able to order
> parts in a couple of years. Too bad some of the managers at Jenn-Air
> allowed their name on the product. This kinda lowers the quality of
> the Jenn-Air name. There appears to be a lot of potential in the
> Negrill products without any longterm commitment to their products. A
> great grill today that is left on the side of the road tomorrow when
> you cannot get some basic repair part. What a way to ruin a business.
> Weber, I am coming back home into the arms of a new Genesis Silver B
> Premium!

The Jenn Air 461P that got rave reviews in CR (and basically the same as the
460P that CooksIll and ConsumerReport likes last year) is still sold by
lowes. It is made by vermont castings (division of CFM harris). I called a
month ago because the temp gauge was off ant they sent me a new one, no
questions asked.

Either way, you will be happy

-CAL

Monroe, of course...

In article >,
(Duwop) wrote:

> "cl" > wrote in message
> > "Duwop" > wrote in message
> >
> > >Either way, you be way
> > > smarter than CALonic.

> Hey thanks Calonic, mocking grammar, puncuation and spelling is
> considered pretty damn poor as an insult, you really need to do a bit
> better, and it's also usually considered a requirement to be able to
> use the aforementioned correctly in the post mocking someone else.
>
> Please see corrections below:
>
> > Dale, great grammar you have and the weight of your insults are quite a
> > burden to bare(bear) . Kinda (Kind of) reminds me of a preschooler telling
> > an adult, 'your stupid' ("you're stupid")

> > It is funny(,) the amount of bandwidth you shit(-)flinging chimps waste
> > trolling
> > me yet attack others for misusing the newsgroup. You guys need to get out of
> > your mother's basement for awhile. Dale it would probably be good for you
> > (,)
> > plus it would be more gratifying than your minute long masturbatory sessions
> > that you have while admiring the trailor park queens on your Tivoed Jerry
> > Springer repeats (run on sentence). Your (You're) the man.
> >
> > -CAL

> HTH,

"smarter than CALonic." Damned with faint praise!
CALostomy really needs ESL classes, no bout a doubt it.
The '...yet attack...' part makes no sense, the fingers out run the
tiny brain here again-something's missing there. There should probably
be another comma after 'plus' and he misspelled 'trailer', too. I feel
your pain Dale-there's just so much incomprehensible gobbledygook to
sift through-no doubt his teachers had a can of red spray paint at hand
for grading purposes.
Teach that piggy to siiiing!

monroe(stick the pig and cook it instead)
cl

"Duwop" > wrote in message
om...
> "cl" > wrote in message

> > "Duwop" > wrote in message
> >
> > >Either way, you be way
> > > smarter than CALonic.

> Hey thanks Calonic, mocking grammar, puncuation and spelling is
> considered pretty damn poor as an insult, you really need to do a bit
> better, and it's also usually considered a requirement to be able to
> use the aforementioned correctly in the post mocking someone else.

Hypocrits. See his message below. He started the grammar/spelling wars.

From: Monroe, of course... )
Subject: Starting the fire

View this article only
Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
Date: 2004-05-27 19:48:25 PST

"c"unt"l"ips has missed EVERYTHING lately except his own feet-he's shot
them up pretty darned well. He still can't spell wortha**** either.

monroe(CALooney's friend, too)

Member

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to pass on some information.

I bought a jenn air grill at Lowes in 2005. The Brass burners finally burned out and the flare plates above them are burned out also. I just call their service line, had to wait several minutes for someone to answer. Explained what was wrong and they are sending me 3 new Cast Brass burners and 3 new flare plates. NO questions, no sending back the old parts first, etc.

That is good customer service.