Default User

Default Anyone done snoots?

Trust me, the following is not a joke.

A guy at work was asking about BBQing pig snoots. He tried smoking for
about 4 hours, but said they were too chewy inside. He's thinking of
boiling them for an hour first, then Qing them.

I'll confess that I've never cooked snouts before, so I wasn't too sure
what to tell him. I usually hear of them as a deep-fry item around here.

If anyone's successfully cooked these boys, I'll be glad to pass on any
tips you have.

Brian Rodenborn
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Default User
> wrote:

> Trust me, the following is not a joke.
>
> A guy at work was asking about BBQing pig snoots. He tried smoking for
> about 4 hours, but said they were too chewy inside. He's thinking of
> boiling them for an hour first, then Qing them.
>
> I'll confess that I've never cooked snouts before, so I wasn't too sure
> what to tell him. I usually hear of them as a deep-fry item around here.
>
> If anyone's successfully cooked these boys, I'll be glad to pass on any
> tips you have.

Treat 'em like ears or trotters. You have a lot of fat and gristle and
stuff that breaks down into gelatin and that's what makes it good.
Think low slow and wet.

monroe(rootin for rooters)

"Monroe, of course..." wrote:

> > A guy at work was asking about BBQing pig snoots.

> Treat 'em like ears or trotters.

I'll confess I have little experience with those either

> You have a lot of fat and gristle and
> stuff that breaks down into gelatin and that's what makes it good.
> Think low slow and wet.

Wet? As in mopped frequently? Or braised first?

Brian Rodenborn
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Default User
> wrote:

> "Monroe, of course..." wrote:
>
> > > A guy at work was asking about BBQing pig snoots.

> > Treat 'em like ears or trotters.

> I'll confess I have little experience with those either
>
> > You have a lot of fat and gristle and
> > stuff that breaks down into gelatin and that's what makes it good.
> > Think low slow and wet.

> Wet? As in mopped frequently? Or braised first?

The snouts I've had were cooked in a kind of 'a'la king'
sauce-essentially a bechamel with veggies - simmered really slow until
they were tender. I think I'd brown 'em up first in a skillet and
deglaze and then crock pot 'em until they practically fell apart. The
richness the melted gelatin gives the sauce is the main attraction
here.
FWIW - I don't really buy into mops and basting under any
circumstances. It just makes things drier and slows down the cooking.

monroe(just don't dry them out)

"Monroe, of course..." wrote:

> In article >, Default User
> > wrote:

> > Wet? As in mopped frequently? Or braised first?
> >

> The snouts I've had were cooked in a kind of 'a'la king'
> sauce-essentially a bechamel with veggies - simmered really slow until
> they were tender.

Oh, so not Q.

Thanks for the info.

Brian Rodenborn