Louis Cohen

Default Beef Navel

"Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie Deli.
They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.

I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?
A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for pastrami,
and that navel is sometimes called plate, which I have heard of but I don't
know what part of the cow it comes from.

I'm not certain of all the details, but it looks as if Carnegie injects all
the beef to be cured with a brine, and lets it cure 3-7 days. Then they
apply their rub to the pastrami and smoke it for just 3 hours.

When the meat gets to the restaurant, the corned beef is boiled and the
pastrami is steamed (very important that the pastrami never touch {liquid}
water, he said).

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:42:08 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>"Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie Deli.
>They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
>beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
>whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>
>I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
>navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?

I was gonna ask this too. I watched the show twice yesterday.
They said the corned beef was made with brisket, but the pastrami
was from the naval.

Same questions remain - WTF is naval? I've never seen it in any
stores. It looks like a great BBQ cut - similar to brisket but
it's fat is better distributed.

>A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for pastrami,
>and that navel is sometimes called plate, which I have heard of but I don't
>know what part of the cow it comes from.

I think plate is the meat attached to short ribs. It could be
slabs of boneless short ribs. But these were pretty thick - nice
rectangular cubes of meat. Much more even than a brisket,
probably 8-9lbs each from what I saw. Must be a well-guarded cut
of meat. *******s.

>I'm not certain of all the details, but it looks as if Carnegie injects all
>the beef to be cured with a brine, and lets it cure 3-7 days. Then they
>apply their rub to the pastrami and smoke it for just 3 hours.

Yeah, I took note of that as well. 3 hours until it got to be
165F inside. They didn't say at what temp it was smoked, though.
And the curing for 3-7 days? That's quite a spread.

>When the meat gets to the restaurant, the corned beef is boiled and the
>pastrami is steamed (very important that the pastrami never touch {liquid}
>water, he said).

All the smoke flavor would simmer/boil out.

I wonder how much Carnegie Deli paid for that promo.

-sw
Edwin Pawlowski

--

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> Same questions remain - WTF is naval? I've never seen it in any
> stores. It looks like a great BBQ cut - similar to brisket but
> it's fat is better distributed.

I found a few reference to it, but not a definition of naval. None of the
meat chats show anything called naval.

http://www.freirich.com/product.asp?type=pa
http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/pr...UPC=7495619153

Pastrami Beef - Available in flat, eye of round and naval - fully cooked
with our special blend of spices, pepper and coriander makes this Romanian
style pastrami a delightful taste treat

Charles Demas

In article >,
Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>--
>
>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> Same questions remain - WTF is naval? I've never seen it in any
>> stores. It looks like a great BBQ cut - similar to brisket but
>> it's fat is better distributed.
>>

>I found a few reference to it, but not a definition of naval. None of the
>meat chats show anything called naval.
>
>http://www.freirich.com/product.asp?type=pa
>http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/pr...UPC=7495619153
>
>Pastrami Beef - Available in flat, eye of round and naval - fully cooked
>with our special blend of spices, pepper and coriander makes this Romanian
>style pastrami a delightful taste treat

I found several places that said "plate (navel)"
when I searched for these keywords "navel beef pastrami"

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Louis Cohen

Some further 'net research reveals that navel is an alternate name for the
plate. The plate appears to be just aft of the brisket and is where fajitas
come from; the diaphragm muscle (skirt steak and the traditional source for
fajitas) is one part of the plate, I think.

----

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> "Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie

Deli.
> They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
> beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
> whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>
> I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
> navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?
> A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for

pastrami,
> and that navel is sometimes called plate, which I have heard of but I

don't
> know what part of the cow it comes from.
>
> I'm not certain of all the details, but it looks as if Carnegie injects

all
> the beef to be cured with a brine, and lets it cure 3-7 days. Then they
> apply their rub to the pastrami and smoke it for just 3 hours.
>
> When the meat gets to the restaurant, the corned beef is boiled and the
> pastrami is steamed (very important that the pastrami never touch {liquid}
> water, he said).

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Dimitri

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> "Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie

Deli.
> They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
> beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
> whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>
> I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
> navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?
> A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for

pastrami,
> and that navel is sometimes called plate, which I have heard of but I

don't
> know what part of the cow it comes from.

He http://www.balcorp.com/beef/beef.html

Then here : http://www.balcorp.com/beef/plate/Tngplate.htm

Then he
http://www.balcorp.com/beef/plate/Im121B.htm

Dimitri

Margaret Suran

Dimitri wrote:
> "Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
>
>>"Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie

> Deli.
>
>>They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
>>beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
>>whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>>
>>I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
>>navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?

Why is the Pupick a cow's belly button, but a fowl's tail? I am
confused. As usually.

--
Margaret Suran
Why is it that inside every older person is a younger person,

Kate Connally

Louis Cohen wrote:

> "Into the Fire" on FoodTV the other night did a piece on the Carnegie Deli.
> They showed the plant where Carnegie processes raw beef into their corned
> beef and pastrami. When a shipment came in, the guy from Carnegie asked
> whether the shipment was corned beef or navels.
>
> I assume that when he said corned beef, he meant brisket. But what's beef
> navel? That is, where's Bossie's pupick?
> A brief web search suggests that navel is the traditional cut for pastrami,
> and that navel is sometimes called plate,

This is so weird. I haven't heard of plate in years.
And now twice in a very short time! My sister and I were
talking a couple of weeks ago about homemade vegetable soup
which I had just made and she was asking what meat I used.
I said that I always used to use short ribs (as that's what
I remember my mother and grandmother using) but I haven't
used them for years. Seems since Korean food got trendy
what used to be cheap "trash" meat is now too expensive for
my pocket. (Same with chicken wings, dammit!) Anyhow, she
said she remembered Gram using plate. I then recalled that
we used to use plate for something but I have no idea what.
And I have no idea what part of the cow it is. My sister
said she thought it was similar to skirt steak used in
fajitas. Anyway, I have never seen it in the stores in the
last 20 or so years that I recall. I thought they just didn't
sell that cut anymore or maybe it has a new name. I know
that a lot of the cuts of meat I was used to from Pittsburgh
were different when I was living in Calif. Either they didn't
have that cut or the called it something else.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Navel o8range. Stefan[_2_] Baking 0 19-08-2009 01:28 PM
Navel oran4ge. MAX Baking 1 26-07-2009 12:11 PM
Navel o6range. MAX Baking 0 26-07-2009 08:57 AM
Navel orange. l, werwiniskp Baking 0 17-04-2009 02:03 PM
Beef Navel Louis Cohen General Cooking 8 19-04-2004 09:27 PM