wylbur37

Default What's the big deal about buffalo burgers?

Here in New York City, many restaurants offer "buffalo burgers" on
their menu (in addition to the usual "beef burgers"). They also cost
about 25% more than regular beef burgers.

What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? Are they supposedly
"better" than beef burgers? Do they supposedly taste better? (I tried
one, and I couldn't tell the difference).

So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
buffalo burger?
Reg

wylbur37 wrote:

> They also cost
> about 25% more than regular beef burgers.

> So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
> buffalo burger?

BEEP. Math error.

I like bison, but it doesn't pass the cost/benefit test. Give me some
and I'll gladly eat it.

Arri London

wylbur37 wrote:

> Here in New York City, many restaurants offer "buffalo burgers" on
> their menu (in addition to the usual "beef burgers"). They also cost
> about 25% more than regular beef burgers.
>
> What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? Are they supposedly
> "better" than beef burgers? Do they supposedly taste better? (I tried
> one, and I couldn't tell the difference).
>
> So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
> buffalo burger?

They are priced at 25 percent more, not 125 percent. However buffalo
meat costs more here too, where it is produced.

In NYC, marketers can make a big deal out of anything relatively
ordinary LOL!

However, so far, the bison raised here in NM are strictly free range and
not dosed with anything that isn't medically necessary (with the meat
being withheld from slaughter as necessary). The herds have never been
fed with animal products, so there is little risk of BSE and related
diseases.

It tastes like meat; nothing special at all.
Doug Freyburger

wylbur37 wrote:

> Here in New York City, many restaurants offer "buffalo burgers" on
> their menu (in addition to the usual "beef burgers"). They also cost
> about 25% more than regular beef burgers.

Smaller price difference than many places.

> What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? Are they supposedly
> "better" than beef burgers?

Just plain different mostly. More lean so less fat and cholesterol
for folks who count those.

> Do they supposedly taste better? (I tried
> one, and I couldn't tell the difference).

When I tried one I *could* tell the difference, but the difference
wasn't large enough to make any difference beyond 'ok, so I can
tell'.

I remember good bison chili on Catalina Island near Los Angeles,
but I remember the natural beauty of the island more.

on a side note, bison or buffalo are raised free range, whil most cows are
almost in a factory environment, dont picture your regular cows grazing in a
feild.

cows that are "farmed" this way will have a higher fat content than those
that are free range, much like buffalo
IF buffalo replaced cows as the primary beef source im sure it would be the
opposite

-steve
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
om...
> wylbur37 wrote:
> >
> > Here in New York City, many restaurants offer "buffalo burgers" on
> > their menu (in addition to the usual "beef burgers"). They also cost
> > about 25% more than regular beef burgers.

> Smaller price difference than many places.
>
> > What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? Are they supposedly
> > "better" than beef burgers?

> Just plain different mostly. More lean so less fat and cholesterol
> for folks who count those.
>
> > Do they supposedly taste better? (I tried
> > one, and I couldn't tell the difference).

> When I tried one I *could* tell the difference, but the difference
> wasn't large enough to make any difference beyond 'ok, so I can
> tell'.
>
> I remember good bison chili on Catalina Island near Los Angeles,
> but I remember the natural beauty of the island more.

Jeremy

Also most feed lot carcasses are water expanded by 15% or more, therefor
the price difference for meat content is not so bad.

JJ

S wrote:

> on a side note, bison or buffalo are raised free range, whil most cows are
> almost in a factory environment, dont picture your regular cows grazing in a
> feild.
>
> cows that are "farmed" this way will have a higher fat content than those
> that are free range, much like buffalo
> IF buffalo replaced cows as the primary beef source im sure it would be the
> opposite
>
> -steve
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > wylbur37 wrote:
> > >
> > > Here in New York City, many restaurants offer "buffalo burgers" on
> > > their menu (in addition to the usual "beef burgers"). They also cost
> > > about 25% more than regular beef burgers.

> > Smaller price difference than many places.
> >
> > > What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? Are they supposedly
> > > "better" than beef burgers?

> > Just plain different mostly. More lean so less fat and cholesterol
> > for folks who count those.
> >
> > > Do they supposedly taste better? (I tried
> > > one, and I couldn't tell the difference).

> > When I tried one I *could* tell the difference, but the difference
> > wasn't large enough to make any difference beyond 'ok, so I can
> > tell'.
> >
> > I remember good bison chili on Catalina Island near Los Angeles,
> > but I remember the natural beauty of the island more.

Jeremy

Sorry to disagree, but any visit to an abattoir yields the injection
room, huge needles inject water into the carcass at about 2,000 lb.
pressure, tenderizing and adding weight.

The chicken available in stores has the normal 8% and now another 15%
"stock"

JJ
Jack Sloan

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:26:48 -0500, Jeremy
> > wrote:
>
> >Sorry to disagree, but any visit to an abattoir yields the injection
> >room, huge needles inject water into the carcass at about 2,000 lb.
> >pressure, tenderizing and adding weight.

> We were talking about beef and buffalo, though, and your usage of
> "feed lot" certainly indicates you acknowledged that.
>
> >The chicken available in stores has the normal 8% and now another 15%
> >"stock"

> Not all of it, but yes - it is common for poultry but not for raw
> beef (yet).
>
> -sw

I get my chickens fresh from a butcher shop. Never frozen...sittin' on ice.
39cents a pound for the last 6 years....last week he went to 69
cents...Durn.

Jack Sloan

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:26:48 -0500, Jeremy
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Sorry to disagree, but any visit to an abattoir yields the injection
> > >room, huge needles inject water into the carcass at about 2,000 lb.
> > >pressure, tenderizing and adding weight.

> > We were talking about beef and buffalo, though, and your usage of
> > "feed lot" certainly indicates you acknowledged that.
> >
> > >The chicken available in stores has the normal 8% and now another 15%
> > >"stock"

> > Not all of it, but yes - it is common for poultry but not for raw
> > beef (yet).
> >
> > -sw

> I get my chickens fresh from a butcher shop. Never frozen...sittin' on

ice.
> 39cents a pound for the last 6 years....last week he went to 69
> cents...Durn.

Drats, sorry for the crosspost...didn't notice until after I hit
"send"....Look what you did Wertz.

Jack Sloan

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:19:29 -0500, "Jack Sloan"
> > wrote:
>
> >Drats, sorry for the crosspost...didn't notice until after I hit
> >"send"....Look what you did Wertz.

> If you were using newsproxy that wouldn't have happened.... ;-)

I guess I'm with Nick on this one...I sometimes wanta see what the idiots
are up to.
Jack

> I didn't know which group Jeremy was responding to, so I used them
> all. Normally such crossposting would have been deleted.
>
> -sw

BOB

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:00:12 -0500, "Jack Sloan"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:19:29 -0500, "Jack Sloan"

>>> If you were using newsproxy that wouldn't have happened.... ;-)

>> I guess I'm with Nick on this one...I sometimes wanta see what the idiots
>> are up to.

> And you also want to let us know what the idiots are up to as well
> even though we've chosen to ignore them?
>
> This thread isn't not an example as it was an somewhat honest (not
> a troll) post, just ignorantly crossposted.
>
> Just don't respond to the idiots otherwise you're just
> perpetuating the problem.
>
> -sw

yabbutt...
your first two responses in the thread were crossposted...

BOB
who does realize that you wanted to disagree with jeremy and didn't know which
group he lives under
'-)

Jack Sloan

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:00:12 -0500, "Jack Sloan"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:19:29 -0500, "Jack Sloan"

> >> If you were using newsproxy that wouldn't have happened.... ;-)

> >I guess I'm with Nick on this one...I sometimes wanta see what the idiots
> >are up to.

> And you also want to let us know what the idiots are up to as well
> even though we've chosen to ignore them?

Why Steve...are you into mind reading at distance? I've read this over and
can't see anywhere that I mentioned sharing what the idiots are doing.
Jack

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:17:14 -0500, "Jack Sloan"
> wrote:

> Why Steve...are you into mind reading at distance? I've read this over and
>can't see anywhere that I mentioned sharing what the idiots are doing.

So I *did* read your mind, then - Cool!

:-)

-sw
BigDog

Jack Sloan wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> Drats, sorry for the crosspost...didn't notice until after I hit
> "send"....Look what you did Wertz.

I don't understand all this crap about crossposts.
I use Xnews and have it set to delete anything crossposted
to more than one newsgroup. I never see any of the posts
ya'll talk about.
So there!

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

Dave

> So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
> buffalo burger?

Simple, it different and it taste good. With all the mad cow stuff
going on people are looking for alternatives. Near where I live there
is an Ostrich farm/market and you can buy a variety of cuts but I
prefer ground Ostrich meat for burgers and anything else. Its about
the same price high quality lean ground beef.

Dave
John Droge

> wrote in message
> "Jack Sloan" > wrote:
> > []
> > I get my chickens fresh from a butcher shop. Never frozen...sittin' on
> > ice. 39cents a pound for the last 6 years....last week he went to 69
> > cents...Durn.

> Sheldon's gonna getcha! <g>
>
> --
> Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
> "Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
> victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
> - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
> "Weakness is provocative." - Don Rumsfeld

Sheldon!!?? That narcissistic, paranoid, schizoid, bi-polar
putz still around? I don't go to rfc land much anymore and have him kill
filed but I would have thought sure someone would have put a stake through
his heart by now.
John- Making the sign of the Cross

Jeremy

Dave wrote:

> > So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
> > buffalo burger?

> Simple, it different and it taste good. With all the mad cow stuff
> going on people are looking for alternatives. Near where I live there
> is an Ostrich farm/market and you can buy a variety of cuts but I
> prefer ground Ostrich meat for burgers and anything else. Its about
> the same price high quality lean ground beef.
>
> Dave

The breast meat braised in a little stock or treated like prime rib, is
one of the tastiest cuts of meat I have ever had from a bird. Ranks
right up there with pressed breast of peahen.

JJ
John Droge

> wrote in message
>

> > Sheldon!!?? That narcissistic, paranoid, schizoid, bi-polar
> > putz still around? I don't go to rfc land much anymore and have him kill
> > filed but I would have thought sure someone would have put a stake
> > through his heart by now.
> > John- Making the sign of the Cross

> LMAO. John, I've never been to r.f.c! I've heard of Sheldon in other posts
> by people I regard and, without doing any investigation myself, have,
> perhaps unfairly, used him as a foil. Not in the sense of Pistia
> Stratiotes.

Nick
No you got your blade right, bogeyman is the proper use of the noun
Sheldon, or the sense of the verb to Sheldon someone.
Now I water garden a bit in whiskey barrels in the summer and have grown
water lettuce but I admit to being at a loss as to the reference to the
prince of darkness. Or where you alluding to (dare I say it) the attempted
hydrating of the squid incident?
John--Looking over his shoulder and still making the sign of the Cross

notbob

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.food.barbecue.]

> What's the big deal about buffalo burgers?

The only big deal I'm aware of with buffalo burger (or any buffalo meat) is
its astonishing ability to go from juicy and tender to old saddle leather in
about 3 nano seconds. Never cook buffalo, or even beefalo, past med rare.

nb
Glenys Shaw

I did not no u could buy buffalo burgers

"Dave" > wrote in message
om...
> > So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
> > buffalo burger?

> Simple, it different and it taste good. With all the mad cow stuff
> going on people are looking for alternatives. Near where I live there
> is an Ostrich farm/market and you can buy a variety of cuts but I
> prefer ground Ostrich meat for burgers and anything else. Its about
> the same price high quality lean ground beef.
>
> Dave

Charles Demas

In article >,
Glenys Shaw > wrote:
>I did not no u could buy buffalo burgers
>
>"Dave" > wrote in message
. com...
>> > So why would anyone want to spend one and a quarter times more for a
>> > buffalo burger?

>> Simple, it different and it taste good. With all the mad cow stuff
>> going on people are looking for alternatives. Near where I live there
>> is an Ostrich farm/market and you can buy a variety of cuts but I
>> prefer ground Ostrich meat for burgers and anything else. Its about
>> the same price high quality lean ground beef.
>>
>> Dave

Trader Joe's has/had buffalo burgers. A little more expensive
than regular, but within the range of sirloin burgers.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
sf

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:52:05 GMT, notbob
> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.food.barbecue.]
> >
> > What's the big deal about buffalo burgers?

> The only big deal I'm aware of with buffalo burger (or any buffalo meat) is
> its astonishing ability to go from juicy and tender to old saddle leather in
> about 3 nano seconds. Never cook buffalo, or even beefalo, past med rare.

We stand advised and will never complain (in public) about
chewing shoe leather if we cook or order it past med-rare.

>G<

Bubbablue

notbob > wrote in message news:<Vzvfc.147989$JO3.88757@attbi_s04>...
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.food.barbecue.]
> >
> > What's the big deal about buffalo burgers?

> The only big deal I'm aware of with buffalo burger (or any buffalo meat) is
> its astonishing ability to go from juicy and tender to old saddle leather in
> about 3 nano seconds. Never cook buffalo, or even beefalo, past med rare.
>
> nb

It's popular here partly because it's local (although the beef is
too), partly because it's different, but mostly because it's low-fat.
It's about the same price as beef - ie. one-tenth the cost of fish.

I wouldn't cook bison of any kind over dry heat. I'd even think twice
about grilling burgers. Bison responds very well to marinating and
braising; for some strange reason, bison is better in French country
cooking than beef.

wd40

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:52:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>["Followup-To:" header set to alt.food.barbecue.]
>>
>> What's the big deal about buffalo burgers?

>The only big deal I'm aware of with buffalo burger (or any buffalo meat) is
>its astonishing ability to go from juicy and tender to old saddle leather in
>about 3 nano seconds. Never cook buffalo, or even beefalo, past med rare.
>
>nb

I would not give the stuff house room. Too Dry. Too coarse. Not much
going for it. Too expensive also. Try Musk ox. There's a wonderfull
taste.

Harry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:09:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>I would not give the stuff house room. Too Dry. Too coarse. Not much
>going for it. Too expensive also. Try Musk ox. There's a wonderfull
>taste.

Good one, Harry. When did you take up trolling?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:34:54 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:09:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>

>>I would not give the stuff house room. Too Dry. Too coarse. Not much
>>going for it. Too expensive also. Try Musk ox. There's a wonderfull
>>taste.

>Good one, Harry. When did you take up trolling?

Excuse me? Where am/was I trolling, Kevin? I would not buy Bison
meat because it is too dry, too coarse, and too expensive IMNSHO.
*You* can buy all that*you* want and it be any skin off *my* ass. If
I'm trolling the only one trolled was you, old sock.

Harry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:47:01 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:34:54 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:09:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>>

>>>I would not give the stuff house room. Too Dry. Too coarse. Not much
>>>going for it. Too expensive also. Try Musk ox. There's a wonderfull
>>>taste.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Good one, Harry. When did you take up trolling?

>Excuse me? Where am/was I trolling, Kevin? I would not buy Bison
>meat because it is too dry, too coarse, and too expensive IMNSHO.
>*You* can buy all that*you* want and it be any skin off *my* ass. If
>I'm trolling the only one trolled was you, old sock.

If you can convince me that one of the ugliest critters God ever
assembled from a kit actually tastes good, then IHBT, IHL, and I will
HAND.

Musk ox? Really?

PS: I really did think it was a pretty good troll, but that's because
I assume that musk ox tastes like the soles of my boots.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:14:31 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:47:01 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:34:54 -0600, Kevin S. Wilson >
>>wrote:

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>Good one, Harry. When did you take up trolling?

>>Excuse me? Where am/was I trolling, Kevin? I would not buy Bison
>>meat because it is too dry, too coarse, and too expensive IMNSHO.
>>*You* can buy all that*you* want and it be any skin off *my* ass. If
>>I'm trolling the only one trolled was you, old sock.
>>

>If you can convince me that one of the ugliest critters God ever
>assembled from a kit actually tastes good, then IHBT, IHL, and I will
>HAND.
>
>Musk ox? Really?
>
>PS: I really did think it was a pretty good troll, but that's because
>I assume that musk ox tastes like the soles of my boots.

Yes Kevin [ but I can see where it might have been perceived as a
troll . . . .
It would have been my reaction too. But one of our chefs at the Golf
Club served a few of those roasts and it captured my fancy. Except
for availability and price it would easily be 'beef' of preference.
Bison sucks by comparison - it sucks, period.

Harry

MRH

Dude, check your physics there while you are up on the soap box. A 2000psi
pressure stream of water would be about like using a knife on the carcass.
It would either cut right through the meat, or explode the cavity into which
it was injected. Even 200psi would be far too much.

"Jeremy" > wrote in message
> Sorry to disagree, but any visit to an abattoir yields the injection
> room, huge needles inject water into the carcass at about 2,000 lb.
> pressure, tenderizing and adding weight.
>
> The chicken available in stores has the normal 8% and now another 15%
> "stock"
>
> JJ

TJs buffalo burgers??? Andy General Cooking 11 17-10-2006 11:30 PM
Buffalo burgers! Andy General Cooking 33 30-09-2006 01:52 PM
What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? wylbur37 General Cooking 25 17-06-2004 01:25 AM
What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? wylbur37 Restaurants 19 17-06-2004 01:25 AM
What's the big deal about buffalo burgers? wylbur37 Marketplace 19 17-06-2004 01:25 AM