Jason Tinling

Default Jeanine's Brisket Emergency

Shouting at the group as Jeanine is sans computer at the moment.

Jeanine's doing brisket dinner for the GF on Saturday. The butcher she
went through, instead of getting her packer cut briskets, got her a bunch
of flats. 15 pounds or so of meat, all in 3-4 pound increments.

Any thoughts on cooking time from this esteemed brisket bunch? She's
trying to figure whether she needs an overnight cook or no, as briskets are
scheduled to be served around 7 pm on Saturday evening. Will a 9 am - 6 pm
cook cut it, or should she shoot for overnight? I'll pass whatever info
y'all have along to her.

Thanks,
Jason
JakBQuik

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
> Shouting at the group as Jeanine is sans computer at the moment.
>
> Jeanine's doing brisket dinner for the GF on Saturday. The butcher she
> went through, instead of getting her packer cut briskets, got her a bunch
> of flats. 15 pounds or so of meat, all in 3-4 pound increments.
>
> Any thoughts on cooking time from this esteemed brisket bunch? She's
> trying to figure whether she needs an overnight cook or no, as briskets

are
> scheduled to be served around 7 pm on Saturday evening. Will a 9 am - 6

pm
> cook cut it, or should she shoot for overnight? I'll pass whatever info
> y'all have along to her.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Seems to me that she ought to take the briskets off around 5:30, wrap them
individually in foil and put them in an empty ice chest with newspaper on
top. Working backwards, I would say that 4 pound flats ought to take about
10 hours max, so I'd put them on at 8:30 at 250. Overnighting 4 pound flats
would be overkill IMHO.

John in Austin

Tyler Hopper

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
> Shouting at the group as Jeanine is sans computer at the moment.
>
> Jeanine's doing brisket dinner for the GF on Saturday. The butcher she
> went through, instead of getting her packer cut briskets, got her a bunch
> of flats. 15 pounds or so of meat, all in 3-4 pound increments.
>
> Any thoughts on cooking time from this esteemed brisket bunch? She's
> trying to figure whether she needs an overnight cook or no, as briskets are
> scheduled to be served around 7 pm on Saturday evening. Will a 9 am - 6 pm
> cook cut it, or should she shoot for overnight? I'll pass whatever info
> y'all have along to her.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

It shouldn't take all that long to cook the flats until they're done but I'd be
a little worried about them drying out if they're really trimmed.

I'd drape they with either bacon or thinly sliced fat back for a while.

Tyler

Emergency Cooktop gtr General Cooking 99 21-02-2012 05:45 PM
Ping: Jeanine Alyse; hand dipping hint! John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 6 02-12-2011 02:09 AM
Emergency supplies Anthony General Cooking 46 06-06-2006 03:34 AM
PING: MISS JEANINE Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 3 22-11-2005 04:15 AM
Rye Bread Emergency! Messy Tessie General Cooking 2 13-11-2004 07:23 PM