Pete

Default Any ideas on cornish hens?

I was thinking of stuffing them with wild rice and cooking on the grill.

Any other suggestions?
Dimitri

"Pete" > wrote in message
om...
> I was thinking of stuffing them with wild rice and cooking on the grill.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Sure - both from epicurious.

Dimitri

SPICED GRILLED CORNISH HEN

This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
a 1 1/4-pound Cornish hen, halved lengthwise (available by request from
butcher)
Prepare grill.
In a small saucepan melt butter with honey, chili powder, and cayenne.
Remove pan from heat and stir in juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Rinse and pat hen halves dry and season with salt. Grill hen halves, skin
sides down, on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 5 minutes.
Turn halves over with metal tongs and grill, basting with spice mixture, 20
minutes more. Grill halves, without basting, until cooked through, about 10
minutes more. (Alternatively, grill hen halves in an oiled, hot,
well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.)
Serves 2.

Gourmet
August 1998

LEMON-CORIANDER GAME HENS

Ask the butcher to halve the Cornish game hens for you.
2 Cornish game hens (1 1/2 pounds each), halved
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 green onion, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves, pressed
Rub game hens with coriander and turmeric. Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in medium baking dish. Add game hens to
marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Remove game hens
from marinade. Season game hens with salt and pepper. Grill or broil until
cooked through, turning and basting occasionally with marinade, 25 minutes.
Serves 4.

Per serving: calories, 360; fat, 20 g; sodium, 124 mg; cholesterol, 132 mg
Bon Appétit

LIGHT AND EASY
(Special Edition)

Charles Demas

In article >,
Pete > wrote:
>I was thinking of stuffing them with wild rice and cooking on the grill.
>
>Any other suggestions?

I think straight wild rice is too strong. I'd cut it with
some plain white rice. There won't be much stuffing in the
birds, so maybe you shouldn't stuff them, and serve the
stuffing on the side (cooked in some chicken broth, and
maybe some aromatic vegetables.

I think you should consider splitting the birds and cooking them
flat.

Consider making some compound butter and putting some under the
skin.

You might also consider marinating them with some type of wine
based marinade, or rubbing the birds with some dry rub.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Cornish hens ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 29-11-2010 04:06 PM
Cornish Hens? Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 17 14-01-2006 06:09 PM
How To Clean Cornish Hens Lou Vincze General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 01:15 AM