FoodBanter.com

-   -   Converting NBBD to Make Lump Charcoal ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/20003-converting-nbbd-make-lump.html)

~ ElektraMan ~ 15-03-2004 03:20 PM

Converting NBBD to Make Lump Charcoal ?

I have a NBBD (older model with the heavier gauge metal). After having
recently purchased a WSM, I don't think I will use it (the NBBD) again for Q
ing. It's terribly difficult to control the heat, even with the mods, and
it's a huge fuel hog.

My question to the group is; Has anyone here converted a NBBD to a lump
charcoal maker? Do you think it would be a good idea?

I was thinking of using the food compartment for the wood, and am in the
process of figuring out a way to close any drafts from the firebox. Since
the stack has a closure on it already, I would think it could quite easily
be converted to serve the purpose of a lump maker. I don't want to reinvent
the wheel so if anyone has already done this, let me know how it works if
you will.

Thanks,
Steve

B.Server 17-03-2004 06:38 PM

Converting NBBD to Make Lump Charcoal ?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:20:48 -0600, "~ ElektraMan ~"
> wrote:

>I have a NBBD (older model with the heavier gauge metal). After having
>recently purchased a WSM, I don't think I will use it (the NBBD) again for Q
>ing. It's terribly difficult to control the heat, even with the mods, and
>it's a huge fuel hog.

[...]
>Thanks,
>Steve

Just a thought, but if the heat is hard to control and it burns a lot
of fuel, it sounds to me as though it is difficult to seal
sufficiently to make good charcoal. You make have your work cut out
to make it produce charcoal. Let us know how it turns out.