FoodBanter.com

-   -   (OT) Corned Beef....Help! (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19981-ot-corned-beef-help.html)

Matt NYC 13-03-2004 12:42 AM

(OT) Corned Beef....Help!

Ok....

On Monday, I bought a 7lb Brisket, rubbed it w/ 7tbs tender quick and
some herbs and spices, basically the Morton's recipe. I wrapped it in
saran and stuck it in my fridge, weighted with some bottles of beer,
planning to keep in there for about a week.

The problem is that my p.o.s fridge fluctuates between 33-41 degrees
and there's not much room to maneuver. I flipped it today and it
seemed fine, no funky smells, and a nice deep color. But this being
my first go at this, have no idea what to look for. Is there hope for
this one, or I should I buy a back-up? Any thoughts appreciated.

Keep the coals glowing and the temp. steady,

Matt in NYC

Reg 13-03-2004 01:43 AM

(OT) Corned Beef....Help!

Matt NYC wrote:

> Ok....
>
> On Monday, I bought a 7lb Brisket, rubbed it w/ 7tbs tender quick and
> some herbs and spices, basically the Morton's recipe. I wrapped it in
> saran and stuck it in my fridge, weighted with some bottles of beer,
> planning to keep in there for about a week.
>
> The problem is that my p.o.s fridge fluctuates between 33-41 degrees
> and there's not much room to maneuver. I flipped it today and it
> seemed fine, no funky smells, and a nice deep color. But this being
> my first go at this, have no idea what to look for. Is there hope for
> this one, or I should I buy a back-up? Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Keep the coals glowing and the temp. steady,
>
> Matt in NYC

If your temp range was 33-41 F the only risk is that absorption
of the cure was inhibited somewhat. Below about 36 F cure uptake slows
and then at some point stops. You may have seen the warning that the
lowest temperature for a curing product is 36 F. That's why.

Add another day or two to the curing time, try and keep it above 36 F
and don't worry.

Matt NYC 13-03-2004 03:57 PM

(OT) Corned Beef....Help!

Reg--

Thanks for the advice-- have some people coming by and hate to be the
one that sends them to the hospital.........well, not all of them, but
that's another story for another time.......!

Keep the coals glowing and the temp. stable,

Matt in NYC