FoodBanter.com

-   -   Propane tank valve will not open ! (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19906-propane-tank-valve-will.html)

buzzsaw 01-03-2004 01:33 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
on this one?

Bruce 01-03-2004 01:41 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:33:37 -0500, "buzzsaw" >
wrote:

>Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
>won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
>man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
>tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
>on this one?

DON'T heat it up with a torch. <G>

Try some WD 40. A pipe wrench would probably give you more torque too.

Bruce

M&M 01-03-2004 02:16 AM

On 29-Feb-2004, "buzzsaw" > wrote:

> Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the
> valve
> won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a
> stong
> man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
> tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
> on this one?

Take it back to U-Haul.

--
M&M ("The problem is that no matter what you do, there's
Sombody that won' t like it much") Tom Clancy

Ol' Hippie 01-03-2004 02:45 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

1.(Keep hittin it wida hamma wanna see if it works)
2.Hell call u-haul and scream.
3.WD-40 & pipe wrench if we were standing within 15 feet of each other.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' HippieŽ

Ol' Hippie 01-03-2004 03:05 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.
--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' HippieŽ

bbq 01-03-2004 03:20 AM

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
> in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
you turning it in the right direction?

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Ol' Hippie 01-03-2004 03:29 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

HEE-Haw hot damn hi bud ! ever see that magazine "Left Hander" ? Don't even
know it its still around but it is, or was a trip !!!
Even read it like we do thumb from the back.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' HippieŽ

bbq 01-03-2004 03:29 AM

buzzsaw wrote:

> Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the valve
> won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a stong
> man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
> tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
> on this one?

Try getting a pipe wrench tightened to it and give the wrench a good hit
with a heavier hammer. I have a 4 lb. hammer that I call my 4 lb.
assistant. Works well. Like duck tape, my tool box wouldn't be complete
without it :-)

As Ol' Hippie suggests, make sure your turning(or hitting) it in the
right direction :-)

Happy Q'en when you get that sucker ready,
BBQ

BOB 01-03-2004 03:32 AM

bbq wrote:
> Ol' Hippie wrote:
>
>> If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
>> in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

> LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
> ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
> you turning it in the right direction?
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

"leftie loosie, rightie tightie"

BOB 01-03-2004 04:00 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:16:12 GMT, "M&M"
> > wrote:
>
>> Take it back to U-Haul.

> I'm no Hank Hill, but they don't mess with the vale when they
> refill it do they? It has a separate fill valve, doesn't it?
>
> Probably the pressure inside has created some super-human friction
> fit on the valve.
>
> -sw

Where *is* Hank Hill? That's one troll that was fun and had a little thought
put into it.

BOB

Ol' Hippie 01-03-2004 05:25 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

Smart ass
--
"We have the Bill of Rights, we need a Bill of Responsibilities"
Bill Maher

Harry Demidavicius 01-03-2004 06:52 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:05:41 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
<olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote:

>If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
>in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

Righties tighties; lefties loosies. Doesn't change. OK?

Harry

Big Jim 01-03-2004 10:54 AM

"buzzsaw" > wrote in message
> Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the

valve
> won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a

stong
> man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
> tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any ideas
> on this one?

Did Ya try closing the valve? He may not have closed it when he filled it.
They got the new safety feature that prevents the gas from escaping with the
valve open and nothing hooked up to it.
Just a guess
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

TomD 01-03-2004 12:49 PM

"buzzsaw" > wrote in message
> Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up,

the valve
> won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am

a stong
> man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I

have
> tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any

ideas
> on this one?

Hi Buzzsaw,

Assuming the valve stem is not bent and looks undamaged, I would try
loosening the packing nut. They may have tightened it too much to
stop a leak.. The nut is below the handle and the stem passes thru
it.

Do it outside (away from fire), loosen a little, and try to open the
valve. Repeat a couple more times if necessary, BUT DO NOT LET THE
NUT COME COMPLETELY OUT. It may leak a little, but not a problem. If
it works, tighten as needed to stop any leaks. If it doesn't work,
retighten. Again, be careful not to remove the packing nut.

HTH,

TomD

[email protected] 01-03-2004 01:11 PM

bbq wrote:

> Ol' Hippie wrote:
>
>> If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and
>> hammer
>> in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

> LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
> ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
> you turning it in the right direction?

And just when you think you've got it licked, you come across something
with left-handed thread...and then you're working from *behind or
underneath*. Whoa...I need a beer...

Mr. Wizard 01-03-2004 02:56 PM

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "buzzsaw" > wrote in message
> > Hi I just got my tank refilled at Uhaul, and when I hooked it up, the

> valve
> > won't open. I mean it is beyond tight - it is like stuck! Now I am a

> stong
> > man and it is no longer "hand tight", I dont know what happened. I have
> > tried pilers, hitting the valve with a hammer - it won't budge. Any

ideas
> > on this one?
> >

> Did Ya try closing the valve? He may not have closed it when he filled it.
> They got the new safety feature that prevents the gas from escaping with

the
> valve open and nothing hooked up to it.
> Just a guess

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!
We have a winner!
The fill guys always leave the valve open after filling
to check the connector and forget to close it.

BOB 02-03-2004 12:07 AM

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:05:41 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> <olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote:
>
>> If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
>> in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

> Righties tighties; lefties loosies. Doesn't change. OK?
>
> Harry

HEY! That's the same thing I wrote in English. Some things are the same in
English and Canadian, Huh?
<eg>

BOB
sweating at 83 degrees here today

buzzsaw 02-03-2004 12:25 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

Thanks to everyone that replied. I started with the basics and tried the
wrench. Nothing. I called Uhaul and explained the situation, the guy says
"did you have someone else try to open it" - assuming I am some sort of 5'10
180 lb wimp. Went to Uhaul and the guy that filled it was not there, but
another employee was there and after he tried in vain, he got a hammer and
started to hit the valve and ..... he broke it. The handle right off the
nut stem. Now of course, he couldn't do anything because there was no
manager there, so my tank sits full of gas at Uhaul until the manager gets
in tomorrow and I explain this debacle to him to see if he will replace the
tank. Sheeeeshh ...

Thanks again ...
will let you know the 'final' outcome. No BBQ today ...again!

bbq 02-03-2004 01:36 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:20:24 GMT, bbq > wrote:
>

>>Ol' Hippie wrote:
>>

>>>If your left handed like I am is it possible you used the pliers and hammer
>>>in the wrong direction? Been known to happen,,,,,, no,no nevvvvver me.

>>LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
>>ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think, are
>>you turning it in the right direction?

> I'm confused. Assuming you've always been left-handed, wouldn't
> it always turn the same way?

Not sure what your confused about. Yes, lefties and righties tighten
and loosen things the same. Lefties though, sometimes try and loosen
things by turning it in a clockwise direction (right handed threads).
This is actually tightening the whatever your loosening. Perhaps I
should have said 'stand back and think, are you turning it in the
CORRECT direction?'

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

bbq 02-03-2004 02:38 AM

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> HEE-Haw hot damn hi bud ! ever see that magazine "Left Hander" ? Don't even
> know it its still around but it is, or was a trip !!!
> Even read it like we do thumb from the back.

Never heard of it. Sounds like a good magazine. When using a spiral
notebook at work, I used to start from the back. Easier for me to write
in. Drove people nuts. I told them you righted handed folks have been
driving me nuts for years. Adapt. I have. :-)

In grade school, the nuns hated us lefties I think. To write in a 3 ring
binder, it was necessary to write 'back handed'. And sometimes we got
smacked with the pointer. Ouch, you bitch. Smacked again. Course, they
can't do that anymore or they may wind up in jail. Can you imagine a
nun in jail? Them inmates do not use pointer sticks. They use broom
handles. And alot can be done to a broom handle to make them even more
wicked :-)

Happy Q'en Southpaw,
BBQ

Duwop 02-03-2004 02:54 AM

bbq wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> LMAO. I'm a leftie too. Used to happen to me quite often. Now, if I
>>> ever have difficulty loosening something, I stand back and think,
>>> are
>>> you turning it in the right direction?

>> I'm confused. Assuming you've always been left-handed, wouldn't
>> it always turn the same way?
>>

> Not sure what your confused about. Yes, lefties and righties tighten
> and loosen things the same. Lefties though, sometimes try and loosen
> things by turning it in a clockwise direction (right handed threads).
> This is actually tightening the whatever your loosening. Perhaps I
> should have said 'stand back and think, are you turning it in the
> CORRECT direction?'
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ
>> <shrug>

Sorry, not me. Or rather, no more than I would expect anyone does. I don't
think it's a handiness thing to occasionally stop to make sure your doin it
the right way, especially when lying on your back or something. My main
complaint 'bout lefty-ness is handguns, heck firearms in general, and
scissors. You ever try to get a .40cal semi auto for a lefty? Semi auto or
pump shotty ported for a lefty is easier than pistols for some reason.

That said, I submit left handed Q to be superior in every damn way over that
plain ole common righty stuff.
My fires are smoother, my smoke is sweeter and the meat is more tender.
Yessiree BOB's your onkler.

BOB 02-03-2004 03:21 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:25:44 -0500, "buzzsaw" >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone that replied. I started with the basics and tried the
>> wrench. Nothing. I called Uhaul and explained the situation, the guy says
>> "did you have someone else try to open it" - assuming I am some sort of 5'10
>> 180 lb wimp. Went to Uhaul and the guy that filled it was not there, but
>> another employee was there and after he tried in vain, he got a hammer and
>> started to hit the valve and ..... he broke it. The handle right off the
>> nut stem. Now of course, he couldn't do anything because there was no
>> manager there, so my tank sits full of gas at Uhaul until the manager gets
>> in tomorrow and I explain this debacle to him to see if he will replace the
>> tank. Sheeeeshh ...

> Now see? If you'd just use charcoal/wood, you wouldn't have had
> this problem.
>
> -sw <ducking>

dammitsteve,youbeatmetoit

Monroe, of course... 02-03-2004 04:03 AM

Propane tank valve will not open !

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:25:44 -0500, "buzzsaw" >
> wrote:

<snip tale of woe> Sheeeeshh ...

> Now see? If you'd just use charcoal/wood, you wouldn't have had
> this problem.
>
> -sw <ducking>

It's a swing and a hit! This one's OUTTAHEEERE!

monroe(you can keep your 'pane' in the ass gas)

John O 03-03-2004 04:37 PM

valve will not open !(monroe)

> Nah, here's the way it goes:
>
> He hits it hiiiiigh, he hits it deeeeeep, it's OUTAHEEERE!
>
> (Dwayne Kyper, when Barry hits it out)
> Eddie

"And that one's long gone."
Ernie H.

-John O

Monroe, of course... 04-03-2004 12:38 AM

valve will not open !(monroe)

In article > , "John O"
> wrote:

> > Nah, here's the way it goes:
> >
> > He hits it hiiiiigh, he hits it deeeeeep, it's OUTAHEEERE!
> >
> > (Dwayne Kyper, when Barry hits it out)
> > Eddie

> "And that one's long gone."
> Ernie H.