FoodBanter.com

-   -   6# round rump roast (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19901-6-round-rump-roast.html)

Jack Sloan 29-02-2004 08:25 PM

6# round rump roast

Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm not
gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads got
an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
Jack

BOB 29-02-2004 09:08 PM

6# round rump roast

Jack Sloan wrote:
> Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm not
> gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads got
> an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
> Jack

Never cooked one...BUT, to tke a guess based on 6 to 8 pound pork butts to the
140 mark, I'd *guess* between 3 to 5 hours.

BOB

Jack Sloan 29-02-2004 09:21 PM

6# round rump roast

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Jack Sloan wrote:
> > Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm

not
> > gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads

got
> > an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
> > Jack

> Never cooked one...BUT, to tke a guess based on 6 to 8 pound pork butts to

the
> 140 mark, I'd *guess* between 3 to 5 hours.
>
> BOB

I was thinkin' about that long too. Thanks. l 'll let ya know fer sure.
Jack

Harry Demidavicius 29-02-2004 10:20 PM

6# round rump roast

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:25:09 -0600, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm not
>gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads got
>an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
>Jack

Depends on your start temp. I generally calculate about 35 mins/lb
plus another 35 mins if the meat was cold. Start testing for internal
about an hour out from the ETA. I have found that the internal temp
starts to move pretty quickly towards the end. FWIW, Jack, I'll pull
below 140 and let it ride up to 145 in a tent or warming oven.

Harry

Duwop 29-02-2004 11:07 PM

6# round rump roast

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:25:09 -0600, "Jack Sloan" >
> wrote:
>
>> Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at
>> 250...I'm not gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any
>> of you potteryheads got an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
>> Jack
>>

> Depends on your start temp. I generally calculate about 35 mins/lb
> plus another 35 mins if the meat was cold. Start testing for internal
> about an hour out from the ETA. I have found that the internal temp
> starts to move pretty quickly towards the end. FWIW, Jack, I'll pull
> below 140 and let it ride up to 145 in a tent or warming oven.
>
> Harry

I'm with Louis, I'm thinking it'll be done in about 3hours. Have done 3 or
4 roasts, all have finished pretty quick.
If you dont have a deflector, it's gonna be even faster.

Edwin Pawlowski 01-03-2004 01:56 AM

6# round rump roast

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm

not
> gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads

got
> an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
> Jack

I think 140 is going to be a tough roast. I buy rump all the time, but pot
roast them, low and with moisture. It is far from a prime rib but a great
piece of mat in its own right.

Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jack Sloan 01-03-2004 02:09 AM

6# round rump roast

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> > Just put one of these on the grill dome...it's holdin' fine at 250...I'm

> not
> > gonna let the thermometer spin on me this time. Any of you potteryheads

> got
> > an idea how long it'll take to get to 140?
> > Jack
> >

> I think 140 is going to be a tough roast. I buy rump all the time, but

pot
> roast them, low and with moisture. It is far from a prime rib but a great
> piece of mat in its own right.
>
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

It was great at 3 hours . The 3 hour timer and the 140F max temp alarm went
of within 30 seconds of each other. It was not rare, but more medium rare
(which was acceptable ) and tender. I'll go for 135 next time. starting temp
was room temp which was 70F.
Jack