Scott Kerr

Default Stainless steel grill

Bought a beaut stainless steel grill and hotplate for my barbecue but
cleaning it is a real drag. Lots of scrubbing with steel wool or some other
scourer. There has to be a better way! Any ideas?

Walter H. Lewis III

Cleaning Stainless steel with steel wool isn't a good idea. Tiny
fibers of RUSTABLE steel imbed themselves in and on theSS and act as a
source for rust!! The professionals treat this with an acid bath and
let the stainess re pasivate.

Good luck.

Walt

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:32:30 GMT, "Scott Kerr"
> wrote:

>Bought a beaut stainless steel grill and hotplate for my barbecue but
>cleaning it is a real drag. Lots of scrubbing with steel wool or some other
>scourer. There has to be a better way! Any ideas?

Louis Cohen

Bar Keepers Friend, maybe?

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Scott Kerr" > wrote in message
> Bought a beaut stainless steel grill and hotplate for my barbecue but
> cleaning it is a real drag. Lots of scrubbing with steel wool or some

other
> scourer. There has to be a better way! Any ideas?

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Scott
Kerr" > wrote:

> Bought a beaut stainless steel grill and hotplate for my barbecue but
> cleaning it is a real drag. Lots of scrubbing with steel wool or some other
> scourer. There has to be a better way! Any ideas?

Don't clean it so scrupulously-let it season up like a cast iron
skillet. I have Stainless grills on my cooker-they're a beautiful black
like a griddle and nothing sticks. Trying to keep it nice and shiny is
going to cause you pure misery and frustration. You'll spend more time
cleaning than cooking.

monroe(Brush Hawg brushes-stainless bristles-so much better than
brass-WalMart, Lowes $8-10)
BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, "Scott
> Kerr" > wrote:
>
>> Bought a beaut stainless steel grill and hotplate for my barbecue but
>> cleaning it is a real drag. Lots of scrubbing with steel wool or some other
>> scourer. There has to be a better way! Any ideas?

> Don't clean it so scrupulously-let it season up like a cast iron
> skillet. I have Stainless grills on my cooker-they're a beautiful black
> like a griddle and nothing sticks. Trying to keep it nice and shiny is
> going to cause you pure misery and frustration. You'll spend more time
> cleaning than cooking.
>
> monroe(Brush Hawg brushes-stainless bristles-so much better than
> brass-WalMart, Lowes $8-10)

I *do* know how to scrupiously clean SS, but I do *NOT* want those chemicals
anywhere near my food cooking surfaces. Besides, if people actually use the
grill, that black looks soooo much better than the shiney new look of stainless.
Pretty is for museums, not for cooking.

BOB
MnsHO, anyway