Default BBQ Joints in Central FL?

Every couple of years or so some buddies and I pick out some part of the USA
to do a Baseball & BBQ pilgramage. Usually we go to areas where there is an
abundance of good BBQ and we go to mostly minor league baseball games (though
sometimes major league if there is a major league team near good BBQ --
Kansas City, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston being the examples for us on
previous trips I can remember off-hand). Needless to say, these trips are a
blast for us! (Also, needless to say, we've got very understanding wives!)

This year, for the first time, we are going to take in spring training games
in Florida. We'll be ranging from Sarasota to Orlando for games over a 4-day
period in March. With most of our previous trips, we've been well-stocked
with tips on BBQ places through books like "Real Barbecue" (our Bible), books
specific to different states (NC, TX, GA for example), and other books. But
I haven't been able to find too much in the way of print information about
Florida BBQ places.

So I'd appreciate any tips you might have about good BBQ places in Central
Florida. Address and/or phone number information for recommended places
would be extra appreciated.

TIA!
Mike

Ricky

> wrote in message
st.giganews.com...
> Every couple of years or so some buddies and I pick out some part of the

USA
> to do a Baseball & BBQ pilgramage. Usually we go to areas where there is

an
> abundance of good BBQ and we go to mostly minor league baseball games

(though
> sometimes major league if there is a major league team near good BBQ --
> Kansas City, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston being the examples for us on
> previous trips I can remember off-hand). Needless to say, these trips are

> blast for us! (Also, needless to say, we've got very understanding

wives!)

> This year, for the first time, we are going to take in spring training

games
> in Florida. We'll be ranging from Sarasota to Orlando for games over a

4-day
> period in March. With most of our previous trips, we've been well-stocked
> with tips on BBQ places through books like "Real Barbecue" (our Bible),

books
> specific to different states (NC, TX, GA for example), and other books.

But
> I haven't been able to find too much in the way of print information about
> Florida BBQ places.
>
> So I'd appreciate any tips you might have about good BBQ places in Central
> Florida. Address and/or phone number information for recommended places
> would be extra appreciated.

Mike,
Here's a link to the Florida BBQ Association's website. There are bbq
contests every weekend in March. There's also a page with BBQ Joints in
Florida. Enjoy!
http://www.flbbq.org
[Florida BBQ Association]

BKahuna

As a Central Florida native and barbecue lover, I would like to make
a few suggestions. The reason you're having difficulty finding
references to good Florida barbecue is because it's a rarity.

First, keep in mind that good barbecue is rather scarce in Central
Florida. Probably because so much of the state is populated by
f*$#ing yankees and immigrants (although all f&^%ing yankees are by
definition immigrants, but that's a different topic entirely).

Second, for many people in the Central Florida area, mass marketed,
chain franchise, corporate-que is all they know because they've not
been exposed to good 'que. When places like Smokey Bones can sell
sauce covered drek and make money off of it, you know you're in for a
hard time.

That being said, there are a few within driving of Orlando that do
'que well.

1. Charlie and Jakes located in Suntree. Just north of Melbourne
and a short hop to Vero Beach (Dodgers).

2. Jack in Minneola. A short drive from the Braves camp in Orlando.

3. Kings Taste in Eustis. About an hour north of Braves camp.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:58:18 -0500, wrote:

>Every couple of years or so some buddies and I pick out some part of the USA
>to do a Baseball & BBQ pilgramage. Usually we go to areas where there is an
>abundance of good BBQ and we go to mostly minor league baseball games (though
>sometimes major league if there is a major league team near good BBQ --
>Kansas City, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston being the examples for us on
>previous trips I can remember off-hand). Needless to say, these trips are a
>blast for us! (Also, needless to say, we've got very understanding wives!)
>
>This year, for the first time, we are going to take in spring training games
>in Florida. We'll be ranging from Sarasota to Orlando for games over a 4-day
>period in March. With most of our previous trips, we've been well-stocked
>with tips on BBQ places through books like "Real Barbecue" (our Bible), books
>specific to different states (NC, TX, GA for example), and other books. But
>I haven't been able to find too much in the way of print information about
>Florida BBQ places.
>
>So I'd appreciate any tips you might have about good BBQ places in Central
>Florida. Address and/or phone number information for recommended places
>would be extra appreciated.
>
>TIA!
>Mike

Joe

Hungry Harry's

3116 Land O Lakes Blvd
Land O Lakes, FL 34639
(813) 949-2025

Best Q in the Tampa area.

BOB

BKahuna wrote:
> As a Central Florida native and barbecue lover, I would like to make
> a few suggestions. The reason you're having difficulty finding
> references to good Florida barbecue is because it's a rarity.

True.

> First, keep in mind that good barbecue is rather scarce in Central
> Florida. Probably because so much of the state is populated by
> f*$#ing yankees and immigrants (although all f&^%ing yankees are by
> definition immigrants, but that's a different topic entirely).

LOL! I'd never have thought to put it that way.

> Second, for many people in the Central Florida area, mass marketed,
> chain franchise, corporate-que is all they know because they've not
> been exposed to good 'que. When places like Smokey Bones can sell
> sauce covered drek and make money off of it, you know you're in for a
> hard time.

Smokey Bones...boil all the taste out of the ribs, bake in sauce. MMMMmmm (NOT)

> That being said, there are a few within driving of Orlando that do
> 'que well.
>
> 1. Charlie and Jakes located in Suntree. Just north of Melbourne
> and a short hop to Vero Beach (Dodgers).

Personally, I like Charlie and Jakes in Indian Harbour Beach better. Maybe it's
because I go there with my Dad, and he's a regular and the service is better.
But yes! BOTH Charlie and Jake's in the Melbourne area. (Why do I always
forget about them?)

> 2. Jack in Minneola. A short drive from the Braves camp in Orlando.
>
> 3. Kings Taste in Eustis. About an hour north of Braves camp.

Don't forget all four Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ locations in the Orlando area.

North towards Ocala, in MacIntosh, don't forget about Big Jim's Place.

BOB

pavane

"BKahuna" > wrote in message

> First, keep in mind that good barbecue is rather scarce in Central
> Florida. Probably because so much of the state is populated by
> f*$#ing yankees and immigrants (although all f&^%ing yankees are by
> definition immigrants, but that's a different topic entirely).

Hey, bigot, back to the swamps.

pavane

Dave Bugg

BOB wrote:
> North towards Ocala, in MacIntosh, don't forget about Big Jim's Place.

Yup... don't get no better.

BKahuna

How did I forget to mention Bubbalous?!?!?!

The one on Lee road is awesome. I'm gonna have to head there this
weekend to pay for my sin of omission!.

I think I like the Charlie and Jakes in Suntree better because of the
microbrewery and because it's a closer to my house.

But yet, Bubbalou's, and I thing the old original one, is probably the
best in Orlando proper.

BKahuna

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:28:40 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"BKahuna" > wrote in message
.. .

>> First, keep in mind that good barbecue is rather scarce in Central
>> Florida. Probably because so much of the state is populated by
>> f*$#ing yankees and immigrants (although all f&^%ing yankees are by
>> definition immigrants, but that's a different topic entirely).
>>

>Hey, bigot, back to the swamps.
>
>pavane

Swamps are nice. Got pigs in the swamp. Ain't no almondine
foo-foo citified food.

But with all due respect, them yankees sure know how to sling a mean
quiche!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about Central FL BBQ joints.
Lots of good siggestions. The FL BBQ Association's list of BBQ joints is
also a big help. We won't go hungry, that's for sure!
Thanks.
Mike

Slideshow of Central Texas Q Joints Pierre[_1_] Barbecue 4 12-11-2008 11:47 AM
Que joints near DFW Jeff Jacks Barbecue 8 10-07-2007 10:52 PM
Florida Q joints bk Barbecue 0 27-09-2005 09:06 PM
Barbecue Joints Robert Sparkman Barbecue 0 01-09-2004 05:18 AM
Oxford NC Q joints? JD Barbecue 2 11-12-2003 04:13 PM