Mark Shaw

Default Cast iron grate cleaning gizmo

I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.

Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
the grates.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
do the same thing?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone
BOB

Mark Shaw wrote:
> I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
> interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
> cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
> spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
> and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
> or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
> the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
>
> Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
> would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
> the grates.
>
> Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
> commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
> sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
> do the same thing?

Here's one made out of Stainless steel that will fit *my* SS grates.
http://www.kamado.com/images/accessorypage/gs2.jpg

You are looking at the business end of it, in the background, it has a ceramic
handle.
It's very useful. I think that Monroe has found over 2027 uses for it.
8-)

BOB

CSS

I use an old putty knife on my grates a couple of times a year. Does double
duty to scrape the flavorizer bars and drip tray clean of accumulated gunk
that can catch fire with high temp grilling.

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
> > interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
> > cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
> > spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
> > and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
> > or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
> > the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
> >
> > Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
> > would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
> > the grates.
> >
> > Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
> > commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
> > sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
> > do the same thing?

> Here's one made out of Stainless steel that will fit *my* SS grates.
> http://www.kamado.com/images/accessorypage/gs2.jpg
>
> You are looking at the business end of it, in the background, it has a

ceramic
> handle.
> It's very useful. I think that Monroe has found over 2027 uses for it.
> 8-)
>
> BOB

Monroe, of course...

In article >, " BOB"
> wrote:

> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
> > interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
> > cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
> > spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
> > and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
> > or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
> > the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
> >
> > Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
> > would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
> > the grates.
> >
> > Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
> > commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
> > sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
> > do the same thing?

> Here's one made out of Stainless steel that will fit *my* SS grates.
> http://www.kamado.com/images/accessorypage/gs2.jpg
>
> You are looking at the business end of it, in the background, it has a ceramic
> handle.
> It's very useful. I think that Monroe has found over 2027 uses for it.
> 8-)

....and counting! Drive the wimmens wild! Dispatch poisonous snakes!
Improve your masse shots! Scatch that unreachable itch! Cultivate your
flowerbeds! Remove those stuck sparkplug boots! Clean out your gutters!

I HAVE found the best grill brush around IMO. It's by Char-Broil and is
only sold at Lowe's I believe. It's called the Brush Hawg and it has
stainless bristles and the bristle pads are replaceable. After so
successfully killing brush after brush (the brass bristled ones) it's
nice to see my destructive wiles so thoroughly thwarted. Getcha
one-you'll be glad you did.

monroe(best $10 I've spent in a while)
Walt Lewis

try putting them in the self cleaning cycle of your oven. Clean as a
whistle.

Walt

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 03:12:56 -0500, Leon Manfredi >
wrote:

>For cast iron grates, if you have a fireplace that you can place grills into,
>bring the cast iron up to a enough of a glow, just enough to cinder everything off.
>
>Did this with my gas grill once, by covering grill up to one inch of their edges,
>with aluminum foil...worked beautifully. Second time I over did it.
>Left them on too long, sagged the cast iron slightly.
>

>On 1 Feb 2004 17:36:45 -0500, (Mark Shaw) wrote:
>
>>I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
>>interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
>>cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
>>spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
>>and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
>>or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
>>the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
>>
>>Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
>>would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
>>the grates.
>>
>>Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
>>commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
>>sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
>>do the same thing?

Mark Shaw

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:
>Mark Shaw wrote:
>> I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
>> interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
>> cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
>> spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
>> and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
>> or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
>> the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
>>

>Here's one made out of Stainless steel that will fit *my* SS grates.
>http://www.kamado.com/images/accessorypage/gs2.jpg

Yeah, that was kind of the idea, but there was only one "tine"
and it was longer -- which would make sense, as cast iron
grates are typically a lot thicker than stainless steel ones.

That looks like a great tool.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
bk

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> I recall seeing a new gas grill in a store once that had an
> interesting accessory. It was essentially a scraper for the
> cast iron grates; one just wide enough to get down into the
> spaces in them. It looked like the idea was to run it back
> and forth in the space, cleaning out all the crusties in one
> or two passes. The thing was shaped such that it would get
> the top of the grates clean at the same time as well.
>
> Oh, it was also made out of cast iron, I suppose so that it
> would be heavy enough to work and soft enough not to damage
> the grates.
>
> Anyone ever seen anything like this? I doubt they'd be
> commonly available, because of differences in grate dimen-
> sions -- any ideas on something that could be fabricated to
> do the same thing?
>
> --
> Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
> "The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone
> seeks to live at the expense of everyone else." -Fr,d,ric Bastiat

I use this bar from Home Depot. I think it's pumic. It gets the big stuff
off the stainless bars without damaging them. In fact it breaks down itself.

I always try to lightly rub the bars with a soaking wet paper towel after
cooking, while the grill is very hot. This keeps things very clean - if I
remember
to do it.