FoodBanter.com

-   -   How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19737-how-many-slabs-pork.html)

Gavin 01-02-2004 04:32 AM

How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
gone.

Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Thanks!

BOB 01-02-2004 04:37 AM

Gavin wrote:
> I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> gone.
>
> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.
>
> Thanks!

Depends on the group. You have about 1/4 rack per person. Is that enough for
*you*?

I'd want at least 8, maybe 10 racks for the 20 people. How about supplementing
the ribs with wings?

BOB

JL 01-02-2004 05:47 AM

"Gavin" > wrote:
> I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> gone.
>
> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Been there....the short answer: It depends on the guests and what else
you are serving.

Assuming we're talking about true full racks, on the average, I figure
1/2 rack per person if I'm serving appetizers and side dishes.

Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

PS: GO PATS!

Thomas Mooney 01-02-2004 05:49 AM

Gavin > wrote in message

> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

My experience is that rack sizes vary widely depending on the age/size of
the pig at slaughter and how the racks are trimmed. My butcher's advice
when I asked this question was 1 lb. per person. That works out about right
for our family. If I were you, and wanted to be safe, I'd go 1 1/4 -> 1 1/2
lbs. per person. Particularly if you've got a vacuum sealer for the
leftovers.

The "it depends" advice the others have given is quite appropriate. It
depends on the appetites of your guests and it depends on what else you're
serving.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

bbq 01-02-2004 07:03 AM

Gavin wrote:
> I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> gone.
>
> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.
>
> Thanks!

It probably is enough for a 'meal', but not enough for a 'pig out'. I
wouldn't worry about getting more. Eat and enjoy. There will be enough,
just make sure someone does not load up on the ribs.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Ricky 01-02-2004 12:34 PM

"Gavin" > wrote in message
> I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> gone.
>
> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

First of all, how good are your ribs? If they're real good and the crowd is
mostly men, I would figure AT THE MINIMUM 1/2 a rack per person. Best bet is
to make 15 racks of ribs if that is the only meat or if I'm coming.

Louis Cohen 01-02-2004 04:11 PM

How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

If you have an over-40 crowd, many women, or guys watching their waistlines
(although today is one of those special exemption days), you may find that
not too many people eat more than about 3 ribs per person (that is, full
untrimmed spares with the flap left on, and good side dishes). At 14 ribs
per slab, I think you're OK.

If you trim the ribs, or serve back ribs, or many of the guests are guys
under 40, or your sides aren't so popular, you'll need more ribs/person.

Cook plenty, give the leftovers to friends, or vacuum seal and freeze them
until pitchers and catchers report.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

frohe 01-02-2004 05:55 PM

Gavin wrote:
> I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> gone.
> Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

Figger half a rack per person; so ya need 10 racks. This is of course if
you're plannin on servin em for a meal. If ya have a bunch more finger
foods like chips and dip and plan for folks to be snackin while they watch
the game, then you might get away with 5 racks but I doubt it if they're
good eatin.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Jack Schidt® 01-02-2004 06:07 PM

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Gavin wrote:
> > I'm having a Super Bowl party and I'm expecting 20 adults. I have 5
> > racks of pork spare ribs that I plan to do on my WSM. I just had a
> > scary vision of someone getting to the rib platter after they're all
> > gone.
> > Does 5 slabs seem like enough for 20 adults, or should I pick up some
> > more? I'm doing potato salad and baked beans, too.

> Figger half a rack per person; so ya need 10 racks. This is of course if
> you're plannin on servin em for a meal. If ya have a bunch more finger
> foods like chips and dip and plan for folks to be snackin while they watch
> the game, then you might get away with 5 racks but I doubt it if they're
> good eatin.
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

I agree, I'd go with the half rack per person. The ribs will disappear
first and then everyone will hover over the sides and what's left.

Jack

Nathan Lau 01-02-2004 08:57 PM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:47:29 -0500, "JL" >
> wrote:
>
>>Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
>>about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

> You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
> got 17 slabs in his WSM.

tee hee hee ;o)

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

BOB 01-02-2004 09:02 PM

Nathan Lau wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:47:29 -0500, "JL" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Using rib racks on my WSM, I've crammed 6 racks. I've read/heard
>>> about rolling the racks to get more on, but I haven't tried it.

>> You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
>> got 17 slabs in his WSM.

> tee hee hee ;o)
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA
>
> #include <std.disclaimer>

Hey Nathan,

How many are left for today?
I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

BOB

Nathan Lau 01-02-2004 09:22 PM

BOB wrote:

> Nathan Lau wrote:
>
>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>You haven't seen the pictures in alt.food.binaries today. Nathan
>>>got 17 slabs in his WSM.

>>tee hee hee ;o)

> Hey Nathan,
>
> How many are left for today?
> I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

half were consumed at a party on Saturday, half more for today's big game.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

BOB 02-02-2004 12:09 AM

Nathan Lau wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>>> tee hee hee ;o)

>> Hey Nathan,
>>
>> How many are left for today?
>> I bet you already ate more than you planned on...

> half were consumed at a party on Saturday, half more for today's big game.
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA

That's still a lot of will power and control. Maybe it's "won't" power. I
won't eat any because I need them for the party.

BOB

frohe 02-02-2004 12:19 AM

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> I agree, I'd go with the half rack per person. The ribs will
> disappear first and then everyone will hover over the sides and
> what's left.

Well, there is another option - get a keg and get em drunk as hell so half
of em are passed out by the time ya serve the ribs. I like this plan since
it means I get more beer and more ribs.
--
-frohe (known to eat a full rack all by hisself.)
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Steve 04-02-2004 12:09 AM

How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

Make 30 racks and send the rest my way, to a poor college student

Gavin 06-02-2004 04:18 PM

How many slabs of pork ribs for 20 adults?

I managed to fit 8 racks on my wsm, using racks on the top and bottom.
It was enough to send people home with some goodies and now I am a
very poplular guy.

If only I had this WSM when I was in high school. ;-)

Thanks everyone for the advice.

-Gavin